Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Favourite Pokémon type?
This poll is closed.
Plain 6 3.17%
Hot 7 3.70%
Wet 15 7.94%
Green 11 5.82%
Shocking 2 1.06%
Cold 3 1.59%
Punchy 7 3.70%
Poisonous 4 2.12%
Brown 7 3.70%
Bird 11 5.82%
Weird 17 8.99%
Gross 11 5.82%
Solid 2 1.06%
Scary 8 4.23%
Dragon 5 2.65%
Creepy 18 9.52%
Mech 33 17.46%
Pink 22 11.64%
Total: 189 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Vermain posted:

unity's still probably going to be the "best" option for the foreseeable future for anyone making smaller games, since the probability of them taking a big ol' bite out of the profits of small team or hobbyist devs isn't especially high, and the massive amount of asset support for things like visual effect systems will save you a lot in production costs and debugging headaches

i do think godot's got good potential, but i spent enough time dithering around in construct 2 beforehand to have grown wary of small scale engines like that

learning to program's honestly a lot of fun and much less daunting than it appears to be, especially for smaller scale gamedev stuff. it's really just learning enough of the syntax of a specific language to be able to chain together simple logical statements into more complex operations. the actual flow of constructing a codebase - figuring out how everything fits together - is often significantly harder than actually writing the code, though this obviously changes outside of the kind of small potatoes stuff i've been doing

i was completely drawers at it 5 years back until i sat down and really hammered it out, and it's tremendously freeing to just be able to whip up whatever you need and to have the confidence to problem solve difficult issues or figure out how to implement something you can't find a ready-made solution for
i definitely spent this week doing an inventory of all the other engines and then just kinda shrugging my shoulders and going back to loving around in my personal unity projects because all the other choices still vaguely annoy me in ways unity dont. like I'm never gonna finish my personal projects anyway so I might as well do it in the environment I enjoy working in the most. I did learn that UE5 has georeferencing now which might start making me think about moving some of my viz work over there, but none of that stuff is subject to the royalty anyway

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

A knock-on effect is that like every gamedev course at a college level has basically been "learn unity" for the past decade so that might be an issue down the road
idk what the curriculum is, but I think you'd have to be real uninquisitive or straight up dumb to not be able to apply that stuff to just about any engine you like. outside of some largely esoteric stuff unity has been doing lately that I have to imagine those courses don't get into, all those engines are mostly architecturally pretty similar and the concepts of just, how to structure and implement game logic, you're pretty much doing the same thing in unity or godot or UE. + all the math and poo poo is universal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

homeless snail posted:

you're describing smile game builder (it also exports to unity)

okay on the surface this looks great to me. reading the reviews, and trying to ignore people whining they can't get free assets easily since making assets is the best part to me -- two main issues seems to be concerns of abandonware and lack of RPGMaker-like scripting, although there is an event editor which might be able to do most of the junk I wanna do anyway.

RPG Developer Bakin was recommended in a negative review of Smile, that also looks pretty good too, especially that terrain builder thing.

edit: huh, looks like there's a blender fork that has a game engine built into it too. without looking into it too deep i'm skeptical if only because Cycles doesn't seem fast enough for real-time and I ain't setting up jack to look right in Eevee

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Sep 18, 2023

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

imagine 4 donuts on the edge of a cliff. blender game engine works the same way

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Storybook Weaver is overdue for a new version update

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

not even remotely the same kind of thing and, its kind of a labor trap (however the kind of labor trap I love), but its so hosed up they never ported dreams to PC and sony just kind of left it to die on ps4 with barely any promotion or anything

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Godot is out for a lot of projects because it doesn’t (and maybe can’t, thanks to ideology/licensing) support consoles

If Epic is smart they are right now devoting a lot of resources to Unreal education/training and maybe some simplified front-ends for their more complicated systems

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

haveblue posted:

Godot is out for a lot of projects because it doesn’t (and maybe can’t, thanks to ideology/licensing) support consoles

Godot is FOSS and so it doesn't but they've set up a company that would allow for this

https://w4games.com/

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I wouldn't be surprised if the biggest change they make is not making it retroactive and only applying it to games that come out after it's put in place. That seems to be one of the biggest sticking points.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

once it got to the point of them coming up on the spot with an "uh it doesn't apply to games sold for charity" and someone asking them if planned parenthood was a charity, and them going "no you'll have to pay", it became inevitable that they'll just go to a revenue share where they don't need to ask stupid loving questions about the circumstances of how you made money, and also not loving over all the people that make less than 20 cents rpu

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

haveblue posted:

If Epic is smart they are right now devoting a lot of resources to Unreal education/training and maybe some simplified front-ends for their more complicated systems

They had templates set up for some very rudimentary systems, basically stuff you could add to any project with a couple clicks anyway. It was handy in the stages when I was first fumbling around, just trying to properly import models and textures from blender and trying to make em work with the UE skeleton and animator. But aside from like literally setting you up either FPS style with a very basic ball gun, or a platformer with some run/jump and some ragdoll objects to kick around, you're left to a scrounge the UE Store for stuff and hope it works together or start looking up tutorials. Plenty of folks starting to sell kits with more working components when I was messing with it, but not as as straight forward simple as creating a gorgeous landscape was.

The most complete template I didn't mess with was a full blown multiplayer FPS with networking, had just template graphics so you'd need to jazz it up. I'm just not into that sort of game but it seemed like it had the fundamentals of a multiplayer FPS out the box which was what I was hoping for with other game types.

Seems like they could bail a lot of bases with relatively few systems able to expand into. Simple platformers, retro RPGs, fighting game, Farm life deal, maybe even a bare bones Zelda. I found unofficial stuff to frankenstein some of those things together theoretically but reviews and results were lacking as a package.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

homeless snail posted:

once it got to the point of them coming up on the spot with an "uh it doesn't apply to games sold for charity" and someone asking them if planned parenthood was a charity, and them going "no you'll have to pay", it became inevitable that they'll just go to a revenue share where they don't need to ask stupid loving questions about the circumstances of how you made money, and also not loving over all the people that make less than 20 cents rpu

Apparently Unity did not know what a charity bundle was until people started bringing it up after the announcement.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Khanstant posted:

Storybook Weaver is overdue for a new version update

i thought i was the only other living human who knew what that was

before i got TGF i spent an ungodly amount of time pretending i was playing a very rudimentary version of king's quest in that thing

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I met the stinky vampire elf.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Waffleman_ posted:

I met the stinky vampire elf.

he's what we in the 21st century call a fixer-upper

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Vermain posted:

i thought i was the only other living human who knew what that was

before i got TGF i spent an ungodly amount of time pretending i was playing a very rudimentary version of king's quest in that thing

Some of my earliest memories are of old Mac and computer games either at school on old donated computers or taking turns at daycares on the one computer there. Storybook weaver was always about trying to make the other kids around laugh

There was one I can't remember the name of but you just like seam around and learned about fish, there was some other elements to it if I remember correctly but little kids also make their own games out of stuff. Wanna say it also came with a suite of other games, vaguely educational or for kids in some way.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

odell lake

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
yeah odell down under is the one. drat this game still looks pretty

drat nicholas let someone else have a turn

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

This was what my Odell Lake looked like

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
That's cause you're a Mackinaw trout dude.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

homeless snail posted:

*putting finger to ear* hold the presses. this just in
https://twitter.com/unity/status/1703547752205218265

Updated!

Infinitum posted:

Literally the WotC method.
- Roll out sweeping retroactively binding change
- "Oh this is unpopular somehow????????"
- Walk it back
- (Maybe secretly keep some bad changes as compromise tee hee)
- "Oh you actually read the changes we made? Ummmmmm" <<<You are here
- Walk it back to the start
- "This is both a win for fans and the company"

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I have been playing Starfield in my downtime and goodness me is it all I wanted from a sci-fi future bethesda RPG. :3:
Fallout 4 was my favourite of theirs and Starfield is just as good fun right now a few hours in. I can understand it not being everyone's taste but I think modders are going to turn this super fun game into something incredible, just like they did with Fallout 4.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
real legit question: what made it incredible besides giant waifus and thomas the tank engine and macho man randy savage

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Alan Smithee posted:

real legit question: what made it incredible besides giant waifus and thomas the tank engine and macho man randy savage

I installed a new start mod with different character archetypes, I had new areas and bases, I had a mod that got me to do bounties, I had a mod that beefed up settlement building and items for it, I had a mod that let me build robots beyond what automaton did, I had all these really amazing radio stations, I had a reworking of perks, and loads of quality of life things like movement and the way guns are held and such.

Fallout 4 being in Boston where I had lived in the past was cool and it looked and handled really great compared to 3/NV. So the combat stuff was fun from the get go and being able to tailor your experience with the thousands upon thousands of things other people think might be better is pretty much gaming catnip to me.

I never do main stories in these games, not since reaching the end of Fallout 3 and not being able to use Fawkes in a spot that made perfect sense. So any time spent with these games is exploring. I love to add new location mods more than anything else and go wandering. A whole universe of planets is basically my dream mod made into a game. I know it is procedural and apparently a bit empty now, but modding can boost that wonderfully I am sure :) OR I can learn to do it myself finally.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

VG posted:

I have been playing Starfield in my downtime and goodness me is it all I wanted from a sci-fi future bethesda RPG. :3:
Fallout 4 was my favourite of theirs and Starfield is just as good fun right now a few hours in. I can understand it not being everyone's taste but I think modders are going to turn this super fun game into something incredible, just like they did with Fallout 4.

Yeah it certainly has potential, and the DLC will hopefully also address some shortcomings. There’s stuff I really like about Starfield, and it’s mostly the things that are unique to it. Like the whole FTL aspect of random space adventures. I’m most looking forward to crew management being flashed out more.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
Goodbye Volcano High makes me feel really old. Like, drat, I thought Life Is Strange was giving me that feel 8 years ago, but LiS was firmly in the millennial territory in comparison.
I'm glad it got made though

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I finally dropped Starfield, at least for the time being, last night. I was doing a mission that was the typical Bethesda back-and-forth reporting to NPCs fare, except both sides of the mission were on starships that were three systems apart (which my ship can't jump directly between) which meant that my entire gaming session last night consisted of:

- start at first system
- jump to neighbour system 1 (loading screen)
- jump to neighbour system 2 (loading screen)
- jump to target system (loading screen)
- initiate docking (unskippable animation akin to a loading screen)
- board (loading screen)
- run to the place where the actual NPC is and go down the lift (loading screen)
- talk to NPC, get quest to report back to other NPC
- do all of the above in reverse (loading screen x6)
- docking, boarding, running to NPC area (loading x3)
- talk to NPC, get quest to go back to the initial NPC
- backtrack back to where I started (loading x6)
- docking, boarding, running to NPC area (loading x3)
- talk to NPC, get quest to go somewhere else finally
- but still have to run back to ship and do another loading x3 to finally escape this nightmare
- oh yeah, I still have to jump x3 to get to new target system

For those keeping track, that's 30 loading screens plus a whole lot of non-gameplay movement just to report to two NPCs to advance the quest by one stage. It was a questline that I was enjoying, too (Crimson Fleet undercover) but my will to continue was just being constantly eroded by this experience. It reminded me of doing the civil war questline in Skyrim on PS3 except in that case there were only 2 or 3 loading screens between talking to NPCs, they just took an eternity (I recall measuring game time vs loading time and it was roughly 50/50 over a 30 minutes gaming session). In this case the loading screens are very quick but there are so many of them that it probably adds up to even more time. I'd honestly rather just one 60 second loading screen so I could at least look at my phone or something while I'm waiting. I know I could just gently caress off and do something else, but this was the "something else" I was doing after becoming bored and/or frustrated by the main quest and also some surveying quests I was doing. At a certain point I just feel like my time is being wasted and it's better spent elsewhere.

Lots of modding potential though. Looking forward to the Creation Kit coming out.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's impressive how they managed to make Starfield feel like a much smaller game than Skyrim by adding three times the loading screens.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I need to stop watching streamers play Obra Dinn because I mentally backseat way too hard.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
If they hadn't made Morrowind by accident they would be out of business. But they did so people keep chasing that dragon but catching only rats.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I'm dying lol

https://twitter.com/HlNOMARUSUMO/status/1703337544975564976

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Khanstant posted:

If they hadn't made Morrowind by accident they would be out of business. But they did so people keep chasing that dragon but catching only rats.

by accident?

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sseoSbBA-A8

Mods rename me Smooth Mileena

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Honestly that is hilarious, don't change anything.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
looks good

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

legit don't see what the big deal is

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Graphics don't matter and I feel sorry for those who can't enjoy a game with bad graphics

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Framerate doesn't matter, graphics don't matter. Please just stab my eyes out already, I don't need these things

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
spoilered for flashing / flickering image

Vic fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Sep 18, 2023

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Ibblebibble posted:

I need to stop watching streamers play Obra Dinn because I mentally backseat way too hard.

I have ragequit from way more LP channels than a healthy adult would

there's only so many times I can watch a person agonizing over which of Floofty's limbs to turn into Red Banopper, when it god drat says "Turn Floofty's leg into Red Banopper" the whole god drat time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Rinkles posted:

by accident?

there was a rift in spacetime in their offices and a little bit of CHIM leaked through and influenced Morrowind mid-develeopment