Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fleve
Nov 5, 2011

SgtScruffy posted:

I'm finally playing through this game after wanting to for years! I'm going to make hella slow progress because I have a toddler so I'll get like 3 hours a week tops.

I was originally going to say "boy this sure is fun, a game where the entire gameplay is swimming and resource collecting and making the best of sparse materials!" but from context clues, it seems like the general gameplay shifts a LOT from that.

Anything else I should know getting started? My friend says "build lots of small bases and use beacons liberally"

Beacons, yes. Throw down beacons everywhere you think "I might want to come back here". Color code them for convenience. It's going to take a while before you know the world well-enough to head in a direction and roughly know where you're going.

Lots of small bases wasn't that necessary I thought. I build a big one somewhat central, and then a much, much deeper one later which turned out to not really be necessary either. There are some base blueprints that got added from Below Zero and they made building one, large base more sensible for me. But in the end, just build whatever, wherever, if you think it might be useful.

The game is great for going into blind. If you're stuck, the solution is usually "go deeper", or just explore more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Build a compass as well, it'll help for directions. A bit at least.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
The game is about exploration and fiddling around with novel plant samples from start to finish. They just add a bit of push back after a few hours, to keep things from getting [too] repetitive.

Unspoilered advice? I'd say "Don't freak out, it's literally impossible to screw anything up, all setbacks are temporary". Oh, and smack everything you see with the knife, they occasionally drop neat samples.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Don’t be afraid to venture out. I kept to the shallows far too long on my first play through. Prioritize getting the better scuba tank and sea glide, hopefully you’ve got your scanner going by now. Look for wrecks, they’ll have what you need to break out of the early game into the mid game base building fun. Follow all the story queues and distress beacon bread crumbs. Enjoy the story, it’s really good.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
There's (without mods) no in-game map. It may be a good idea to draw one of your own.

GoingPostal
Jun 1, 2015

I love Derek Smart
U love Derek Smart
If we didn't love Derek Smart, we'd be lame
If you're feeling a little paranoid about going too deep and running out of air, build a second tank and keep it topped off. You can switch tanks just fine underwater, and it can give you enough time to get out of where you got stuck. (The second tank takes up inventory space, though, so it may not be worth it eventually.)

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

A non-spoiler piece of advice I have that I could have used even in my second playthrough is, when you find a new area and are searching for stuff, be thorough.

Especially keep your eyes peeled for data tablets. :argh:

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Explore wrecks

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I only built a single base, but part of the fun for me is having a big base with a large aquarium etc.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
My absolute favorite thing was my main base with the aquarium floor. If only I could have had a ceiling as well!

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
You have to have a base with:

1. Storage area
2. Agri/aquacultural area
3. Office (never used)
4. Chill spot to relax (never used)
5. Parking

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
My father in law just got a switch and he's been playing it, and he's really enjoyed throwing up a one-room base with a couple of lockers in a few different areas.

There's really no wrong way to play the game, just explore and have fun.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

When you build a scanner room, remove any upgrade modules before deconstructing it, or you will be sad.

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

Thanks all for the tips!

When I asked for first-time advice a few friends in a Discord said to "Let me know when it happens" so that's a fun thing to have looming nebulously :ohdear:

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Bad Munki posted:

When you build a scanner room, remove any upgrade modules before deconstructing it, or you will be sad.

A million times this, it’s a mistake which I keep on making despite knowing about the problem for years

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

SgtScruffy posted:

Thanks all for the tips!

When I asked for first-time advice a few friends in a Discord said to "Let me know when it happens" so that's a fun thing to have looming nebulously :ohdear:

Hey, to add to that, I don't know what they're referring to.

Not because there's no "it" moment; it's because I don't know which one. :getin:

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

It's probably when the batteries are all depleted and you can't find the battery charger

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

It's probably when the batteries are all depleted and you can't find the battery charger

Just make new ones and throw dead batteries in the sea, who gives a gently caress it's not your planet

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
It's when you run out of air before getting to the surface, then remember that your last save was two hours ago.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

sebzilla posted:

Just make new ones and throw dead batteries in the sea, who gives a gently caress it's not your planet

THE BATTERIES WILL BE RECHARGED. I'm not going out there to get more copper do you hear me child

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Just fyi, to recharge spare air tanks, you must put them on while at/above the surface. Merely having them in your pocket does not suffice. That was a disappointing discovery at depth.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

I coulda swore they fixed it so scanner room upgrades return to your inventory when you deconstruct them

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I’ll never know, won’t risk it, been hurt too many times

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

sebzilla posted:

2 dead batteries plus 1 rubber equals 1 full- charge power cell

I’ve never had battery charger issues, though, it’s the wall charger for cells I usually lack. Fortunately the moon pool is way better for that!

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark
I'm curious what the dev's response to the upcoming unity pricing scheme is. Is Subnautica 3 going to use a different engine now?

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

Captain Monkey posted:

There's really no wrong way to play the game, just explore and have fun.

There is a wrong way to play this game though, and it's making a base that's not 100% glass seaworld.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

chainchompz posted:

I'm curious what the dev's response to the upcoming unity pricing scheme is. Is Subnautica 3 going to use a different engine now?

The response is to watch nintendo and microsoft sue unity into oblivion.

Then use a new engine because either way unity probably wont be used too much in the future.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Bad Munki posted:

Just fyi, to recharge spare air tanks, you must put them on while at/above the surface. Merely having them in your pocket does not suffice. That was a disappointing discovery at depth.

Extra air tanks are so fiddly and you don't need them.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Sassy Sasquatch posted:

There is a wrong way to play this game though, and it's making a base that's not 100% glass seaworld.

I refuse to get that many barracuda teeth. :colbert:

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

withak posted:

You have to have a base with:

1. Storage area
2. Agri/aquacultural area
3. Office (never used)
4. Chill spot to relax (never used)
5. Parking

6: Toilet

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Zesty posted:

Yeah I never used them, until one time I tried to in a pinch, and was immediately disappointed.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

That's #4.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

withak posted:

That's 4 #2

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Zesty posted:

You don’t need them, but they are extremely useful. It’s worth the inventory space to have one in my opinion.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Just eat a bladderfish, that's like 5 air

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Did they backport being able to breathe from the emergency bladder? Or was it only just making it good at it's basic job?

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Bad Munki posted:

Also, speed upgrades are useless, go for maximum range.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Hannibal Rex posted:

Also, speed upgrades are useless, go for maximum range.

The most true thing so far. The way it works out mathematically feels a little counterintuitive. Adding 50m per range extender doesn’t feel like a lot, but you’re adding it along the entire diameter of your already-existing search area and the way we calculate circle area is pi * radius^2, so adding even a little bit to the radius dramatically increases your search area.

You’ll cover ~2.75x more area with a fully upgraded scanner room vs a base one (provided I did the math right :v: ). The upgrade modules are slightly cheaper than building a whole new scanner room with an airlock and 3 solar panels, provided you’ve got the ingredients laying around.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?

Serephina posted:

Did they backport being able to breathe from the emergency bladder? Or was it only just making it good at it's basic job?

Yes, they back-ported it and it is worth crafting in Sub1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I wish they'd backport the recycler. drat that thing was so useful.