Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo

Toupee Groupie posted:

I work at a hardware store. Someone rented a tow behind earth drill. The owner got a phone call at 2ish in the morning to let us know that the earth drill was found a cemetery after drilling a whole into a grave. It went into the casket. The person(s) were not there, and the police wanted to know who the renter was. I don't know more, other than we won't be getting the drill back for a while due to it being evidence.

I'm way behind on this thread but it doesn't look like you ever posted about this again. You ever get any more details? Stealing bodies? Someone buried with a family heirloom that someone was pissed about?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

MrQwerty posted:

lol that it's happening in some shithole in rural New Mexico, too
rurality doesn't mean EVERYONE is a moron.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Captain Invictus posted:

rurality doesn't mean EVERYONE is a moron.

I know, I live there, I went to the New Mexico Institute of Mining and Technology for a while

good accent though

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
https://i.imgur.com/UMzildp.mp4

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

I have no idea what's going on, but I love this poo poo.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

PurpleXVI posted:

Heat-treating the cog teeth with an inductive coil heater. Then quenching in an oil bath.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

You'd think oil would be flammable and not really good for that type of application then again I'm a smooth brained simpleton.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
i think they are using mineral oil which isn't very flammable

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Poohs Packin posted:

You'd think oil would be flammable and not really good for that type of application then again I'm a smooth brained simpleton.

While this appears to be a water quench, you can get some mild flammability on an oil quench. Usually you get some right at the surface point where the item you're quenching goes into the oil. Once the item is fully immersed though, there is no oxygen under the surface to promote combustion, and the oil itself rapidly dissipates the heat, which is the whole point of quenching in the first place. The oils themselves as well are not overly flammable to begin with, and usually can not sustain self-combustion without an outside heat source to feed the combustion process.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
That oil looks pretty watery to me.

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

PurpleXVI posted:

When engineers make a bong

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
Aren't they shaping the gear too? It looks different at the end to how it does at the start.

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

PurpleXVI posted:

This is wonderful.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Bertha the Toaster posted:

Aren't they shaping the gear too? It looks different at the end to how it does at the start.

Nope. It looks a bit different just because the heat treatment darkened the metal around the edge.

Amphigory
Feb 6, 2005

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

While this appears to be a water quench, you can get some mild flammability on an oil quench. Usually you get some right at the surface point where the item you're quenching goes into the oil. Once the item is fully immersed though, there is no oxygen under the surface to promote combustion, and the oil itself rapidly dissipates the heat, which is the whole point of quenching in the first place. The oils themselves as well are not overly flammable to begin with, and usually can not sustain self-combustion without an outside heat source to feed the combustion process.

I used to watch a lot of forged in fire and they oil quench their blades on that

Occasionally they get a mild fireball if the blade is too hot, but it's over quickly as the blade is submerged

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Here's a cool oil quenching video. We get a nice fireball.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Z4nDiGomJM

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
OSHA IV: We get a nice fireball.

thehandtruck
Mar 5, 2006

the thing about the jews is,
the toilet in my apartment is flooding and i called the maintenance team but they said the on call guy is sleeping so im diligently reading this thread and studying the gifs to find a fix

edit: the induction gear oil thing has not been helpful (but is extremely cool)
edit2: it leaking slowly by drops for the past few days but i did not want to deal with it

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Groda posted:

Heat-treating the cog teeth with an inductive coil heater. Then quenching in an oil bath.

And removing the ghosts

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

thehandtruck posted:

the toilet in my apartment is flooding and i called the maintenance team but they said the on call guy is sleeping so im diligently reading this thread and studying the gifs to find a fix

There's threads on DIY for that.

thehandtruck
Mar 5, 2006

Blue Footed Booby posted:

There's threads on DIY for that.

no thank you. i have my islands and i stick to them. its called loyalty

trip report: i have a few buckets placed around the toilet to catch the water. used a couple towels to mop up some water and threw em in the wash. it does not smell bad, but the dripping is loud and annoying. i imagine this is how vietnam was

thehandtruck fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Sep 18, 2023

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Mr. Nice! posted:

Here's a cool oil quenching video. We get a nice fireball.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Z4nDiGomJM

That crane-lift is very cool too.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I walked in on a guy washing his hair in a public toilet once. Door wide open, no shame on that guy. There were working sinks directly across from the toilets, so I guess some mental issues that made him pick the toilet for hair washing instead of the sink.

There's one specific urinal in the nearby bathroom at work that I swear someone shaves his loving pubes in.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

thehandtruck posted:

no thank you. i have my islands and i stick to them. its called loyalty

trip report: i have a few buckets placed around the toilet to catch the water. used a couple towels to mop up some water and threw em in the wash. it does not smell bad, but the dripping is loud and annoying. i imagine this is how vietnam was

from where are the potty tears escaping

thehandtruck
Mar 5, 2006

shame on an IGA posted:

from where are the potty tears escaping

theres this cool looking steel tube or cable or something i dunno but it goes from somewhere on the toilet to the wall. there's a thing i presumably can turn where it meets the wall, kinda looks like something from Riven. the middle of the thing is where its dripping. its dope.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

thehandtruck posted:

edit2: it leaking slowly by drops for the past few days but i did not want to deal with it

I had an upstairs neighbor's toilet flooding in my first apartment, water coming down through my ceiling. I went up and asked about the water, they said they called maintenance, I left it at that. Later, maintenance came to my place and I learned that they just let it flood, not knowing they could turn the valve behind the toilet to stop the water from flowing.

They ended up having to repaint my ceiling and did a lovely job.

So, um, turn the valve behind the toilet to stop the water from flowing.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

thehandtruck posted:

theres this cool looking steel tube or cable or something i dunno but it goes from somewhere on the toilet to the wall. there's a thing i presumably can turn where it meets the wall, kinda looks like something from Riven. the middle of the thing is where its dripping. its dope.

Try tightening the nuts (on that tube)

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

thehandtruck posted:

That is the water feed that refills the toilet when it flushes

What is "the thing"? If the water is coming out of the steel tube or its connection to the toilet, turning the valve should stop it, but the toilet won't flush until the steel tube is replaced and the valve turned back on

If "the thing" is the valve itself, this is beyond self-repair and you need to wake up the on call guy

thehandtruck
Mar 5, 2006

haveblue posted:

That is the water feed that refills the toilet when it flushes

What is "the thing"? If the water is coming out of the steel tube or its connection to the toilet, turning the valve should stop it, but the toilet won't flush until the steel tube is replaced and the valve turned back on

If "the thing" is the valve itself, this is beyond self-repair and you need to wake up the on call guy

i just turned the valve and it stopped dripping. so everything is fixed! thank u.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

thehandtruck posted:

i just turned the valve and it stopped dripping. so everything is fixed! thank u.

(waiting for the follow up post about the toilet not filling the next time it's used...)

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

thehandtruck posted:

Do not, under any circumstances, tell the apartment maintenance that. as far as you know it started when you called.

NumptyScrub
Aug 22, 2004

damn it I think the mirrors broken >˙.(
Also fill a bucket from the sink / bath / shower to use for flushing, while the water feed to the cistern is turned off. You may need more than one bucketfull to flush fully, but it'll work in lieu of the cistern

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
even though it seems to be fixed now you might as well give a couple strategic whacks with the sledgehammer just to be safe

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

thehandtruck posted:

Another OSHA thread success story

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

Mozi posted:

even though it seems to be fixed now you might as well give a couple strategic whacks with the sledgehammer just to be safe

Well, the first can be strategic. The second & subsequent whacks will be more generalized.

I Miss Snausages
Mar 8, 2005
Volvorific!

BallerBallerDillz posted:

I'm way behind on this thread but it doesn't look like you ever posted about this again. You ever get any more details? Stealing bodies? Someone buried with a family heirloom that someone was pissed about?

So, due to the criminal nature, I don't know much more other than the person who rented the drill was related to the departed. We haven't got the drill back because it is still evidence. I don't want to be the person who cleans the augers when we get it back (if they got into the casket).
Our deck sander was just wrecked because, even though we have them sign something stating that they will take care of the screws or nails sticking up before standing, the person thought that he could sand down the nails instead of tacking them down. One of our lawn aerators came back with tangled fiber cable because whoever buried the FIOS service in someone's yard just put it two inches under the grass, and like 200 people lost their internet. I hope we don''t have to tell people now to get diggers hotline out cause of the lovely FIOS installs that are going on.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Toupee Groupie posted:

So, due to the criminal nature, I don't know much more other than the person who rented the drill was related to the departed. We haven't got the drill back because it is still evidence. I don't want to be the person who cleans the augers when we get it back (if they got into the casket).
Our deck sander was just wrecked because, even though we have them sign something stating that they will take care of the screws or nails sticking up before standing, the person thought that he could sand down the nails instead of tacking them down. One of our lawn aerators came back with tangled fiber cable because whoever buried the FIOS service in someone's yard just put it two inches under the grass, and like 200 people lost their internet. I hope we don''t have to tell people now to get diggers hotline out cause of the lovely FIOS installs that are going on.

Huh, when we get equipment used in criminal activity we usually get a call from the cops yelling at us to come get our stuff out of their way.

I've had to go on active arrest scenes to tow poo poo out of the way and the cops didn't even ask me my name.

Harry_Potato
May 21, 2021

thehandtruck posted:

Save the water for your crops. Brawndo has electrolytes and is not what plants crave.

You can turn the thing. It's like Russian roulette. 5 out of 6 times the water stops until the dud can come and fix it. The sixth possibility is the handle falls off in your hand and the water really starts flowing. Do you feel luck? Don't do it. you are not that lucky!

e:
A little slow. Play the lottery today. You proved me wrong.

Harry_Potato fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Sep 18, 2023

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

thehandtruck posted:

hmmm, this seems antithetical to the responsibilities of being the "on call guy"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

KoRMaK posted:

hmmm, this seems antithetical to the responsibilities of being the "on call guy"
It's the difference between "there's a leak in my apartment" and "there's a leak in my neighbor's apartment."