Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

CODChimera posted:

how are d&d coping these days anyway?

No posts in the climate thread since the 12th. Something about increasing geothermal capacity and lamenting the hegemony of fossil fuel companies, so not too bad really?

I do like the idea of using additional geothermal to sink so much heat into the ground that the continents just sink into the mantle, even if it is physically impossible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

They hated Futanari because His posts were shit.
The landscapes are just being... changed, passive voice, nothing to be done about that one

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

Paradoxish posted:

It's incredibly amusing how tortured these bullet points sound because the author absolutely refused to pass any value judgements on climate change. The environment is shifting, changing, becoming unfamiliar, evolving (?), and altering, but who can say if that's good or bad!

Dehumanize and face to number, it’s so easy!

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
Don't worry! The environment is evolving! It's ok!

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

TehSaurus posted:

No posts in the climate thread since the 12th. Something about increasing geothermal capacity and lamenting the hegemony of fossil fuel companies, so not too bad really?

I do like the idea of using additional geothermal to sink so much heat into the ground that the continents just sink into the mantle, even if it is physically impossible

Without looking I can assume there are recent posts in the energy thread bemoaning how the hippies and greens ruined the world and that Bill Gates and Bechtel are totally going to save it if we would just give them another couple of billion dollars

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Planet's flying, Cloud

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

Trabisnikof posted:

Without looking I can assume there are recent posts in the energy thread bemoaning how the hippies and greens ruined the world and that Bill Gates and Bechtel are totally going to save it if we would just give them another couple of billion dollars

It's the public's fault, them and their massive influence, that is preventing new nuclear plants from being built. If only they were smart, they would love nuclear power, and the one and only obstacle to having it everywhere- negative public opinion- would be removed!

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Dokapon Findom posted:

It's the public's fault, them and their massive influence, that is preventing new nuclear plants from being built. If only they were smart, they would love nuclear power, and the one and only obstacle to having it everywhere- negative public opinion- would be removed!

it rules that Nuscale got approval to build a Small Modular Reactor, but they then decided they actually wanted to build a *different* SMR because they can't find anyone to pay for the one they got approved.

because the pitch is SMRs are grid responsive and scale up and down to follow demand, right? scaling down means not making profits, so the pitch is effectively "how would you like a cheaper nuclear plant that makes you a lot less money!"

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021

Trabisnikof posted:

because the pitch is SMRs are grid responsive and scale up and down to follow demand, right? scaling down means not making profits, so the pitch is effectively "how would you like a cheaper nuclear plant that makes you a lot less money!"

we have the tools, just don't ask us to use them

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

gadgets we cherish :barf:

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

SixteenShells posted:

we have the tools, just don't ask us to use them

sounds familiar…

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

That psychologist is dumb. Skip all that poo poo and just accept you were put at the end of the timeline. Party had to stop eventually.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Dokapon Findom posted:

The landscapes are just being... changed, passive voice, nothing to be done about that one

*thinking really hard when typing headline*

Environment Involved in Humanity-Related Heating

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

I like that they expressly do not identify the change as negative and leave it ambiguous to make the people driven insane by this stuff feel and seem even more crazy

It's just different! Ah, you don't like that color for this room! Different strokes I guess... :o:

e: Everyone is entitled to an opinion about whether a livable climate is better or worse

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

my opinion is that a livable climate is worse, for the record

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
The thing is, stoic philosophy basically underlies all clinical psychology in the US. Life circumstances are basically to be understood as impossible to change and all you can do is change your reaction to it in your head. CBT is barely-disguised Marcus Aurelius.

The idea that your life could improve because the conditions of your life change is out of scope.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

ikanreed posted:

The thing is, stoic philosophy basically underlies all clinical psychology in the US. Life circumstances are basically to be understood as impossible to change and all you can do is change your reaction to it in your head. CBT is barely-disguised Marcus Aurelius.

The idea that your life could improve because the conditions of your life change is out of scope.

It's funny how this is approach massively reinforces the status quo and makes large scale change nearly impossible, even when faced with potentially existential societal crises.

Puppy Burner
Sep 9, 2011
I'll only be satisfied when sharks are 40 feet long, reptilians rule the land, mammals are driven back below the earth where they belong, and all grass is exterminated.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Harik posted:

florida. It's been 90+ for months now, nights barely dip into the high 70s. AC literally runs for a continuous 18 hours a day and it still approaches 80 indoors before it finally starts cooling back down in the evening. I've lived here since the mid 90s and I've never seen it this bad.

luckily things won't get worse otherwise I'd be worried about you

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Crazypoops posted:

That psychologist is dumb. Skip all that poo poo and just accept you were put at the end of the timeline. Party had to stop eventually.

Buddy, what are you talking about... The party is just beginning.

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
everything is going to be fine

just march in a local climate protest or have a community garden plot (enviro initiative), make some bdelloid memes (art), and just put on the nightmare goggles (VR) to finish your night

:nsa:

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

SixteenShells posted:

A person experiencing solastalgia may feel:

* A deep grief over changing landscapes that were once familiar
* Helplessness over the inability to halt or influence environmental shifts
* Chronic stress from ongoing changes, causing symptoms like insomnia
* A diminishing hope for the future as the environment evolves
* A feeling of being disconnected from one’s community or the environment due to rapid alterations

While we can protest the exploitation of natural resources by humans, this is a nuanced issue. We rely on many of these resources for our daily lives, from fueling our homes to producing the gadgets we cherish. Becoming consumed by guilt or anger over humanity’s collective environmental impact may not bring about the broad systemic changes we hope for. Instead, it’s essential to channel these emotions productively.

Understanding our limitations doesn’t mean surrendering to despair. We might not be able to reverse all the damage done, but we can certainly find ways to process our feelings and take action. Here are three practical strategies to mitigate the effects of solastalgia and foster resilience in the face of ecological challenges.

1. Participate In Community Environmental Initiatives
2. Embrace The Healing Potential Of Eco-Art Therapy
3. Try Out Virtual Reality To Experience The Surroundings You Long For

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

ikanreed posted:

I think that is a little reductive actually. A lot of it is also about teaching specific skills because they will improve a person’s material conditions, for example teaching someone with ADHD to use a calendar or daily planner. Or teaching someone breathing exercises to help handle anxiety.

Obviously many of the disorders being treated have causes rooted in capitalist decay, and I think there’s a strong role for clinical psychology in policy making. Or there would be if we didn’t live in capitalist hell world where they’d hop everyone up on amphetamines to “improve” “productivity”

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

Hubbert posted:

everything is going to be fine

just march in a local climate protest or have a community garden plot (enviro initiative), make some bdelloid memes (art), and just put on the nightmare goggles (VR) to finish your night

:nsa:

lol at that XR poster that was just like:

MAKE A COPY of your fingerprints

say on it I DID A CRIME

turn yourself IN to the police

Congratulations you just saved the loving world!

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Paradoxish posted:

Don't worry! The environment is evolving! It's ok!

I want to become one of the people-hedges, that seemed like a pretty chill way to fit into the new reality

Ssthalar
Sep 16, 2007

Puppy Burner posted:

I'll only be satisfied when sharks are 40 feet long, reptilians rule the land, mammals are driven back below the earth where they belong, and all grass is exterminated.

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

Buddy, what are you talking about... The party is just beginning.

Well yeah, this is the after party

HazCat
May 4, 2009

SixteenShells posted:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/traversmark/2023/09/14/a-psychologist-offers-3-tips-to-deal-with-solastalgia

gonna put on my VR goggles to experience the untouched wilderness that was blasted to oblivion to mine the silicon used to produce my VR goggles

Hell yeah, Aniara is one of my favourite climate-change-adjacent films! Everyone go watch Aniara to see an uplifting tale of how VR can help humanity cope with the trauma of climate change!

Oh, uh, content warning for suicide and infanticide, I guess.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
I love that film too. It has a great ending with a lovely tune

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9HBEiII3tI

maxwellhill
Jan 5, 2022
a sun, an aquarium, and a space ship. Classic movie ending

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

TehSaurus posted:

I think that is a little reductive actually. A lot of it is also about teaching specific skills because they will improve a person’s material conditions, for example teaching someone with ADHD to use a calendar or daily planner. Or teaching someone breathing exercises to help handle anxiety.

Obviously many of the disorders being treated have causes rooted in capitalist decay, and I think there’s a strong role for clinical psychology in policy making. Or there would be if we didn’t live in capitalist hell world where they’d hop everyone up on amphetamines to “improve” “productivity”

that's still Stoicism though. The solution is always to improve yourself so that you can manage your own life within your specific conditions. Accept yourself as you are and the exact nature of world around you in relationship to you, because changing anything at all about it is not just impossible but also would serve no purpose. virtue is sufficient for happiness.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
sure the mindless grotesque gluttonous consumption machine that is modern industrial society is going to render the entire planet uninhabitable, and we are lurching quickly towards unending catastrophes with such ferocity and frequency that any stability becomes impossibly marred by chaotic upheaval, but maybe if you just practice breathing with intention and clearing your mind of all thoughts for an hour a day you can be mentally healthy and happy.

Rock Puncher
Jul 26, 2014
look at all the dead planets, we're just returning the earth to the mean

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

Rock Puncher posted:

look at all the dead planets, we're just returning the earth to the mean

for a psychotically fascinating narrative exploration of this concept, check out The Ice Trilogy by Sorokin. not directly linked to climate issues but I think anyone who reads this thread would get something g out of it

puncturewound78
Apr 18, 2023

HazCat posted:

Hell yeah, Aniara is one of my favourite climate-change-adjacent films! Everyone go watch Aniara to see an uplifting tale of how VR can help humanity cope with the trauma of climate change!

Oh, uh, content warning for suicide and infanticide, I guess.

seriously one of the most fascinating movies ive ever seen.

Based on the premise It all goes kinda how you would expect, until the like last two acts; I did not expect anything like those final moments that we saw.

Haven't seen it since it came out, but god drat I get chills thinking about it.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
"I am healthy and happy" I think to myself as I drive

"Nothing is wrong with this situation"

"I am improving"

"GDP is going up"

"I don't even have to clean my windshield any more"

"Gee, that's a nice looking bridge pillar"

"I wonder if it will be my friend?"

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

ELTON JOHN posted:

i feel like that would make me way more depressed, but then again im not a psychologist who writes for forbes

This is sort of a plot point in the movie Aniara, where to deal with the depression of being stuck in a space ship all the passengers use a sort of AI-run virtual reality system that generates nature scenes for them based on how they are feeling. Until the AI system becomes so loving depressed from being overworked and dealing with all the passengers depression that it dies.

Aniara is a loving mood, big recommend.

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well I hear the thunder roll, I feel the cold winds blowing...
But you won't find me there, 'cause I won't go back again...
While you're on smoky roads, I'll be out in the sun...
Where the trees still grow, where they count by one...

Stereotype posted:

that's still Stoicism though. The solution is always to improve yourself so that you can manage your own life within your specific conditions. Accept yourself as you are and the exact nature of world around you in relationship to you, because changing anything at all about it is not just impossible but also would serve no purpose. virtue is sufficient for happiness.

Isn't life about adapting and surviving? We built our own world atop the real one that we need, the adaptability of humans has been manipulated and exploited but improving yourself is a rewarding immediate good.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

It's depressing some times when you're reminded of how much waste there is in day to day manufacturing

remember to recycle folks, it's your responsibility!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!
There's some new lovely sokal hoax type thing going through conservative media.

Enjoy hearing about some heartland institute gently caress submitted a paper to Nature about how climate change increases forest fires purposefully omitting land management analysis and "they still accepted it"