Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

I rewatched the last half of Vacation last night for the first time in probably a decade. A lot of the humor didn't work for me anymore.

Every character is an rear end in a top hat, so they all deserve bad things happening to them throughout in the movie's logic. I'm fine with that, but the black humor gets so cringey and then one-ups that constantly. Eddie implied to be molesting his teen daughter, the end of the dog and the end of Aunt Edna are the worst of it.

I did read the original short story eons ago and it got more ludicrously over the top than how the film kept going.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pachylad
Jul 12, 2017

From the Reddit thread 'Classic movies that have not stood the test of time?':

quote:

One that is certainly on the way - I recently watched Grease with a room full of young people. They were literally horrified by Danny groping Sandy at the drive in, and fully hated him for the rest of the movie. Also that T-bird looking up the girls skirts during one of the starting songs.

There is a lot my generation watched on screen and it didn't hit us the same way it hits the younger generation. They were also totally unimpressed that Sandy changed to win Danny in the end.

As a Zillennial, it kinda blows my mind how Grease was beloved (and still is?)

Doctor Bishop
Oct 22, 2013

To understand what happened at the diner, we use Mr. Papaya. This is upsetting because he is the friendliest of fruits.

Pachylad posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67iQQ673FPA

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

I'm open to interpretation!

Pachylad posted:

Underage loving: the Musical really ain't sitting well these days with our generation being the most hypervigilant ever in regards to sexual abuse.

I'm OK with that.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Pachylad posted:

Everything I know about Grease comes from that mashup with Dragula where a lady pantomimes eating a guy’s rear end at the end, but I think it’s become pretty apparent that what was perceived as completely unremarkable in the 1970s was clearly sexual assault.

This is outside the bounds of this thread, but I really became aware of it when my parents’ response to Tara Reid’s claim that Joe Biden pushed her against a wall and fingered her after work one day was that it was no big deal and just something you have to accept can happen, and that wasn’t because they had any interest in defending Biden.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Pachylad posted:

The College Humor parody really was unnecessary wasn't it?

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

I AM GRANDO posted:

that it was no big deal and just something you have to accept can happen

My mom was whining about people complaining about Pepe Lepew, and was shocked when I said “almost everything he does is assault of some form, they’re not wrong”.

Got a really weak “well i don’t see it that way” from her in response, so that attitude is unfortunately alive and well :(

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Real ones know that Grease was always poo poo.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Pachylad posted:

As a 100% certified Gen-X I’ve been confused about this my whole damned life, it was a loving colossus when I became aware of it, and I somehow know all the lyrics despite I don’t think every seeing it willingly. I always found 50s stuff just icky, in retrospect part of a foundational hatred for baby boomers making their childhood into the center of pop culture. Crazy to think that a 70s movie about the 50s is like a musical now about 2003.

I think it has something to do with baby boomer nostalgia and the dearth of musicals in the 70’s, combined with the birth of home video - so many people owned that as the only or one of a few VHS tapes, or video disks.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Remulak posted:

I think it has something to do with baby boomer nostalgia and the dearth of musicals in the 70’s, combined with the birth of home video - so many people owned that as the only or one of a few VHS tapes, or video disks.

As an alleged gen-Xer, experiences like this are why I resonate with David Lynch so heavily.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Remulak posted:

Crazy to think that a 70s movie about the 50s is like a musical now about 2003.

I was talking to my wife about this, how it would be literally the prime time for a Grease-alike about my own highschool years. I'd honestly love to see that.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

A musical where everyone has giant pants, frosted tips and puka shell necklaces

Punctuated by a solemn musical number about 9/11

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Brawnfire posted:

I was talking to my wife about this, how it would be literally the prime time for a Grease-alike about my own highschool years. I'd honestly love to see that.

Just wait until I tell you about this entire series of High School Musical(s)

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

exquisite tea posted:

Real ones know that Grease was always poo poo.

:hmmyes:

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Icon Of Sin posted:

My mom was whining about people complaining about Pepe Lepew, and was shocked when I said “almost everything he does is assault of some form, they’re not wrong”.

Got a really weak “well i don’t see it that way” from her in response, so that attitude is unfortunately alive and well :(

I’m sorry my friend. You know what must be done.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

oldpainless posted:

I’m sorry my friend. You know what must be done.

Pro post/name combo.

Offler
Mar 27, 2010
The B-plot of Cabaret is pretty insane.

IIRC it goes something like: Guy is in love with girl but she is cold toward him. Sally advises guy to force himself on girl (pounce is the expression used in the movie), saying that if he sticks with it she will probably end up liking it, even if she resists at first. Guy is hesitant, what if she doesn't like it, what if he chickens out halfway through etc. Sally encourages him to just go for it. Guy goes for it and girl ends up liking it, now they're about to be married.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Playing hard to get was absolutely a thing back in the day, which meant that functionally a girl who was absolutely game for some action was acting in the exact same way as the girl who was absolutely uninterested in sex. It was all about expectations, girls were expected to protect their purity, and boys were expected to try and take it, so for a girl they better be able to claim that the boy put pressure on them for the sake of their reputation. People with good social skills could usually hint at things in a way that made it clear where they stood, but it wasn't as easy for people with poorer social skills or who were simply inexperienced.

It's very hosed up.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

General Hospital in the early 80s had a character rape a woman in one story arc.

Of course they later had a huge wedding, because thats how things work.

Hugely popular at the time the story was out in the general culture as a thing.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

sweet geek swag posted:

Playing hard to get was absolutely a thing back in the day, which meant that functionally a girl who was absolutely game for some action was acting in the exact same way as the girl who was absolutely uninterested in sex. It was all about expectations, girls were expected to protect their purity, and boys were expected to try and take it, so for a girl they better be able to claim that the boy put pressure on them for the sake of their reputation. People with good social skills could usually hint at things in a way that made it clear where they stood, but it wasn't as easy for people with poorer social skills or who were simply inexperienced.

It's very hosed up.

this is the reason people bicker about "baby it's cold outside" every year

it's a concept people refuse to understand, because they like to bicker

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

The Grease chat reminds me of how I recently tried to watch a 1948 film called Germany: Year Zero about a 12 year old boy struggling to survive in the ruins of a German city while his dad is too sick to work and his brother refuses to register to work because he was an SS war criminal. Anyway, in desperation the kid accepts an offer for help from another Nazi his brother knows. I don't think it was the director's intention because the movie never points it out but the Nazi reads today as a screamingly obvious pedo who never takes his hands off the kid, holding his shoulder as he tskes him to his apartment (:stonk:) and then caressing his face, neck, and shoulders like a puppy (:barf:)as he convinces him to join what is essentially a gang.

After that scene, I didn't finish the movie. Supposedly the kid ends up doing a bunch of crimes, has underage sex with a woman, poisons his father, and kills himself. The synopses make no mention that the creepy Nazi is supposed to be a predator. Even disregarding the story, the actor playing the Nazi is literally assaulting a child ON CAMERA and this was apparently fine in 1948.

Woolie Wool has a new favorite as of 17:07 on Sep 18, 2023

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Does it need to? It sounds pretty blatant.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Speaking of Nazis, I was listening to the diary of a wehrmacht soldier who was captured in France in 1944 the other day

when he was shipped through a French village in the back of a truck, the villagers threw rocks and turds at him. he was deeply offended that they would treat him so poorly after the Germans had been ~so nice~ to them. he said the French were "showing their true colors," and one of his friends said he'd like to come back with his machine gun and they all had a good laugh.

he also kept whining that he was only fed once a day while he was still in France, lol. their conclusion was that the guy in charge of feeding them must have been a Jew

it was pretty interesting, but he was too much of a fascist rube to continue. I think he eventually got shipped to Oklahoma and decided Americans were ok after all, but probably would have been better for everyone if he'd just been shot on sight

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

hawowanlawow posted:

this is the reason people bicker about "baby it's cold outside" every year

it's a concept people refuse to understand, because they like to bicker

Apparently the couple that wrote it used to sing it to close out their dinner parties.

“We’re going to gently caress now, so please leave” is a pretty strong message imo

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Icon Of Sin posted:

The Cuomo Defense Brigade is saturated with this attitude.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Woolie Wool posted:

The Grease chat reminds me of how I recently tried to watch a 1948 film called Germany: Year Zero about a 12 year old boy struggling to survive in the ruins of a German city while his dad is too sick to work and his brother refuses to register to work because he was an SS war criminal. Anyway, in desperation the kid accepts an offer for help from another Nazi his brother knows. I don't think it was the director's intention because the movie never points it out but the Nazi reads today as a screamingly obvious pedo who never takes his hands off the kid, holding his shoulder as he tskes him to his apartment (:stonk:) and then caressing his face, neck, and shoulders like a puppy (:barf:)as he convinces him to join what is essentially a gang.

After that scene, I didn't finish the movie. Supposedly the kid ends up doing a bunch of crimes, has underage sex with a woman, poisons his father, and kills himself. The synopses make no mention that the creepy Nazi is supposed to be a predator. Even disregarding the story, the actor playing the Nazi is literally assaulting a child ON CAMERA and this was apparently fine in 1948.

is this a bit lol

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

MrUnderbridge posted:

General Hospital in the early 80s had a character rape a woman in one story arc.

Of course they later had a huge wedding, because thats how things work.

Hugely popular at the time the story was out in the general culture as a thing.

The actors now talk about how icky it was in retrospect:

[quote="Genie Francis]
“As a young kid at 17, I was told to play rape, and I played it, and I didn’t know what it was. At 60, I don’t feel the need to defend that anymore,” Francis said at the TCA panel. “The story was inappropriate, and I don’t condone it. It’s been a burden I’ve had to carry to try to justify that story, and so I’m not doing that anymore. When a woman says no, she should be listened to. If you play that scene, you don’t just have her saying no, you have her screaming ‘no.'”

General Hospital did a storyline years later with the characters having to deal with it.

Equally as disturbing, Herb Alpert's Rise became a hit, in large part because of its association with that scene.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7O3eYJptTc

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

quote:

"Rise" is an instrumental written by Andy Armer and Randy 'Badazz' Alpert, first recorded in 1979 by trumpeter Herb Alpert. Released as a single from Alpert's solo album Rise, the song reached #1 on the Billboard charts. It is the instrumental sample for The Notorious B.I.G. hit "Hypnotize".

That's why this sounded so familiar.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

It's not as bad as Grease but I always thought it was weird that somebody made a musical out of Little Orphan Annie, the depression era angry libertarian screed comic strip.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
On the other hand they also made it a direct gently caress you to the Libretarian

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It was very funny how the creator of Little Orphan Annie killed Daddy Warbucks during FDR's presidency and brought him back after it was over.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

muscles like this! posted:

It was very funny how the creator of Little Orphan Annie killed Daddy Warbucks during FDR's presidency and brought him back after it was over.

During which we got stuff like this:

For reference, she's staying in a foster home where she is basically treated like a slave, allowed no friends or recreation, and forced to sleep in the attic.

AceOfFlames has a new favorite as of 08:56 on Sep 19, 2023

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

bunnyofdoom posted:

On the other hand they also made it a direct gently caress you to the Libretarian

Ah, the Verehoven-Starship Troopers approach.

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

muscles like this! posted:

Knowing absolutely nothing about Annie outside of the musical, I went to Wikipedia. And holy poo poo, this comic was insane. Apparently, when someone finally performed the mercy killing in 2010, this is where they left it:

Wikipedia: posted:

The last strip was the culmination of a story arc where Annie was kidnapped from her hotel by a wanted war criminal from eastern Europe who checked in under a phony name with a fake passport. Although Warbucks enlists the help of the FBI and Interpol to find her, by the end of the final strip he has begun to resign himself to the very strong possibility that Annie most likely will not be found alive. Unfortunately, Warbucks is unaware that Annie is still alive and has made her way to Guatemala with her captor, known simply as the "Butcher of the Balkans". Although Annie wants to be let go, the Butcher tells her that he neither will let her go nor kill her—for fear of being captured and because he will not kill a child despite his many political killings—and adds that she has a new life now with him. The final panel of the strip reads "And this is where we leave our Annie. For Now—".

Should have gotten Liam Neeson involved.

Hattie Masters
Aug 29, 2012

COMICS CRIMINAL
Grimey Drawer

Sobatchja Morda posted:

Knowing absolutely nothing about Annie outside of the musical, I went to Wikipedia. And holy poo poo, this comic was insane. Apparently, when someone finally performed the mercy killing in 2010, this is where they left it:

Should have gotten Liam Neeson involved.

If I remember correctly, I learned on these very forums that the storyline ended up being wrapped up in, of all godamn things, Dick Tracey.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Hattie Masters posted:

If I remember correctly, I learned on these very forums that the storyline ended up being wrapped up in, of all godamn things, Dick Tracey.

Here's a page which collects all the relevant strips: https://www.cbr.com/dick-tracy-little-orphan-annie/

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Isn't the point of Grease that the sanitised image people had of the 50s wasn't true and that 50s teenagers swore and had underage sex and did petty crime just like 70s teens?

Apparently the original version before it went to Broadway had a lot more sex and swearing and it was toned down a lot for a mass audience and then toned down more for the movie.

FreudianSlippers has a new favorite as of 17:29 on Sep 19, 2023

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

FreudianSlippers posted:

Isn't the point of Grease of Grease that the sanitised image people had of the 50s wasn't true and that 50s teenagers swore and had underage sex and did petty crime just like 70s teens?

Apparently the original version before it went to Broadway had a lot more sex and swearing and it was toned down a lot for a mass audience and then toned down more for the movie.

Yes. The entire point of the musical is that the main pair don't work as a traditional couple, and only once Sandy rejects the societal norms and takes a less traditional feminine persona do they really have a chance to make it work. The final scene is her rejection of traditional femininity.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
My high school performed Grease every 3-4 years and it was bowdlerized until any trace of sex was totally removed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

Halloween Jack posted:

My high school performed Grease every 3-4 years and it was bowdlerized until any trace of sex was totally removed.

...how? Grease is horny as gently caress. Is Rizzo even in it? This is some serious Dexter-edited-for-CBS poo poo.