Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Beef posted:

One thing I learned from this thread is that in Russia these days Nazi is more an umbrella term for "enemy of the Soviet state", rather than ultra-racist fascist cleptocratic state.

I keep noticing this on a broader scale basically among anyone who only has a "domestic movie industry" idea of what Nazis are, which includes Americans.

Russians think "Nazis" are a group of evil foreigners bent on the destruction of Russia.
Americans think "Nazis" are some kind of well-dressed alien race who came to take over the world.

In either case, the opposite of Nazis isn't communists or anarchists or anything like that, it's "patriots". Fuckin Joker telling Red Skull "I may be a villain, but I'm a red-blooded American villain! I'm not any drat Nazi!"

Nobody knows what fascism is or understands genocidal nationalism. Just movie bad guys who are there for plot reasons, and completely inconceivable that they might arise from within your own populace

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

weg posted:

Someone should really give a storm shadow the Marlboro racing livery.

I thought Ukraine were getting F-16s

Victis
Mar 26, 2008

Data Graham posted:

I keep noticing this on a broader scale basically among anyone who only has a "domestic movie industry" idea of what Nazis are, which includes Americans.

Russians think "Nazis" are a group of evil foreigners bent on the destruction of Russia.
Americans think "Nazis" are some kind of well-dressed alien race who came to take over the world.

In either case, the opposite of Nazis isn't communists or anarchists or anything like that, it's "patriots". Fuckin Joker telling Red Skull "I may be a villain, but I'm a red-blooded American villain! I'm not any drat Nazi!"

Nobody knows what fascism is or understands genocidal nationalism. Just movie bad guys who are there for plot reasons, and completely inconceivable that they might arise from within your own populace

I don't see how your post isn't an example of treating "Nazi" like an umbrella term for things you don't like instead of a specific historical movement/ideology

edit: You can hate right-wing ultranationalists or whatever and understand that you are making a useful but lazy comparison; Russian media is using it to lazily draw a comparison to anyone that challenges Russian hegemony (because, you see, the Nazis were an existential threat to Moscow during the "Great Patriotic War" etc. etc.)

Victis fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Sep 18, 2023

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Data Graham posted:

This is crazy posting.

Red Skull is a Marvel character whike Joker is DC.

weg
Jun 6, 2006

Reassisted Retrogression

Captain Splendid posted:

I thought Ukraine were getting F-16s

Hey if a few 40s help them get the job done so be it. The Italians should do their part as well!

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

CommieGIR posted:

A storm of cigarettes.

Not my favourite song of ice and fire book tbh.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

Tai posted:

Tankie twitter is full on ''Ukraine doesn't have a navy so -1 sub means nothing''. It's so mind boggling how dumb people are.

-1 platform for launching Kinzhals at power plants, hospitals, schools and apartment blocks

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

weg posted:

Is that an old picture? I thought they didn't allow cigarette advertising like that anymore.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Victis posted:

I don't see how your post isn't an example of treating "Nazi" like an umbrella term for things you don't like instead of a specific historical movement/ideology

It does make sense when you consider the context of why the different parties cared about fighting the Nazis, and the way populations were treated by them. The cruelty and racism of the Nazi party is a historical fact, but it has also been focused on in Western narratives because it formed a key part of the propoganda for fighting them.

The Russians didn't need any of that, on the Eastern front they were fighting for their very literal survival against an enemy who wanted to kill them and take their land.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

weg posted:

:swoon: I was in love with that car when I was a kid

E: hold on I'm confusing it with the f40, but it's still beautiful as gently caress, and the livery is striking

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Disco Pope posted:

This is crazy posting.

Red Skull is a Marvel character whike Joker is DC.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

https://twitter.com/yarotrof/status/1703762022582612247?t=rN67Y-5UDfGEk3Lo7MV9FA&s=19

Notably an ad aimed at Crimean residents as it mentions a draft station in Simferopol

brother the best hope for you is a trench apartment

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Lord Stimperor posted:

:swoon: I was in love with that car when I was a kid

E: hold on I'm confusing it with the f40, but it's still beautiful as gently caress, and the livery is striking

lol imagine not being able to effortlessly discern 90s supercars at will (it's a F40)

Burns
May 10, 2008

fatherboxx posted:

https://twitter.com/yarotrof/status/1703762022582612247?t=rN67Y-5UDfGEk3Lo7MV9FA&s=19

Notably an ad aimed at Crimean residents as it mentions a draft station in Simferopol

The only real estate they will get is a plot of soil. If they are so lucky most of them arw going to mobile crematoria and i bet their remains are just dumped in some field.

bad boys for life
Jun 6, 2003

by sebmojo

Senor Tron posted:

It does make sense when you consider the context of why the different parties cared about fighting the Nazis, and the way populations were treated by them. The cruelty and racism of the Nazi party is a historical fact, but it has also been focused on in Western narratives because it formed a key part of the propoganda for fighting them.

The Russians didn't need any of that, on the Eastern front they were fighting for their very literal survival against an enemy who wanted to kill them and take their land.

Getting betrayed after allying with the Nazis had to sting too.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Who falls OUT of love with the F40 smh

thekeeshman
Feb 21, 2007

Senor Tron posted:

The point is that the USSR never had an ideological problem with Nazi Germany, and in fact allied with it in order to invade countries and take their land. The USSR was also incredibly cruel and racist. The USSR only had a problem with the Nazis when the Nazis invaded the USSR, which is why the Russian narrative is not "The Nazis were bad because they invaded people" but instead "The Nazis were bad because they invaded the USSR/Russia specifically". This is why Russians are so tolerant of Nazis within Russia, because they see nothing ideologically wrong with Nazis who are on their side, Nazis are only a problem when they are acting against Russia.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Data Graham posted:

When this thing ate their lunch at IMSA:

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Sep 18, 2023

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
USSR and Nazi Germany are the two hands clasping meme and they meet over "historically oppressed eastern european peoples"

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Zero VGS posted:

I like how it has the Shell logos too. Cigarettes and gasoline go together great.
The top NASCAR series used to be called the Winston Cup. After RJR Tobacco's Winston cigarettes.

count_von_count
Nov 6, 2012

fatherboxx posted:

Burns posted:

The only real estate they will get is a plot of soil. If they are so lucky most of them arw going to mobile crematoria and i bet their remains are just dumped in some field.

Do they not read Tolstoy in Russia any more? smh.

kru
Oct 5, 2003

Mr Teatime posted:

Not my favourite song of ice and fire book tbh.

It made me feel bad, but it was very addictive

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://mil.in.ua/en/news/dutch-defense-ministry-official-arrested-for-exporting-spare-parts-to-russia/

quote:

“Investigative information led on 30 August to the search of the residence and the arrest of a 48-year-old man from Arnhem. He too is suspected of circumventing sanctions legislation through his companies […] by exporting aircraft parts to Russia […],” the FIOD stated in a press release.

Both men are accused of exporting spare aircraft parts to Russia via third countries following the outbreak of the war in Ukraine and the introduction of EU sanctions in February last year.

“Records, digital data carriers and ammunition were seized at his residence. The man is employed by the Ministry of Defence,” it added.

The news comes a week after Latvia-based Russian investigative website iStories published a report on how spare aeroplane parts are being re-exported to Russia by Western companies via third countries – including Lithuanian companies.

Militarnyi reported in January 2023 that microchips of the Dutch NXP and Nexperia companies arrived in Russia despite the sanctions.
The NXP and Nexperia products were found in a Russian howitzer, a cruise missile, an attack helicopter, and a Shahed-136-type kamikaze drone.

Manufacturers emphasize that they comply with the rules and sanctions and do not do business with Russia. Their customers also do not have the right to sell chips in the Russian Federation.

The investigation notes that there is a clear picture of how a small group of Chinese companies receive chips from the Netherlands and export them to Russia.
RIP Bozo

Burns
May 10, 2008

How does one send a message to these people?

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!

Burns posted:

How does one send a message to these people?

A noose.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

zone
Dec 6, 2016

snip never mind I misunderstood

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Thats a speed hole in that sub, ackshully. Leta it dive faster. Of course decadent westoids would be scared of ingenious russian tech.

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

Drone_Fragger posted:

Thats a speed hole in that sub, ackshully. Leta it dive faster. Of course decadent westoids would be scared of ingenious russian tech.

This submarine can now stay submerged indefinitely. Checkmate westoids.

Icept
Jul 11, 2001

Commodore_64 posted:

This submarine can now stay submerged indefinitely. Checkmate westoids.

Also the pressure is always perfectly equalized. Extremely revolutionary design.

karoshi
Nov 4, 2008

"Can somebody mspaint eyes on the steaming packages? TIA" yeah well fuck you too buddy, this is the best you're gonna get. Is this even "work-safe"? Let's find out!
It's a side door so SCUBAed VDVs can gun down incoming torpedoes while doing a back-flip. That sub is immune to torpedoes now.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
Literally the first time in the history of submarining when Russia either lost a sub or was damaged and they didn't blame an American submarine. Honestly, I'm surprised that they didn't say that an American submarine came up and did that in dry dock and then got away.

They initially blamed the Kursk on a collision with an American submarine, even though there was zero proof of a damaged American sub anywhere. And if one of ours ran into an Oscar hard enough to cause that kind of damage, there wouldn't be an American submarine left.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Flyinglemur posted:

Literally the first time in the history of submarining when Russia either lost a sub or was damaged and they didn't blame an American submarine. Honestly, I'm surprised that they didn't say that an American submarine came up and did that in dry dock and then got away.

They initially blamed the Kursk on a collision with an American submarine, even though there was zero proof of a damaged American sub anywhere. And if one of ours ran into an Oscar hard enough to cause that kind of damage, there wouldn't be an American submarine left.
And the US even owned up to their submarine mistakes, like the "Whoops we hit a Japanese fishing ship because we tried to do the "launch out of the sea like a humpback whale" move, and the "Whoops we hit an underground mountain and totally hosed up the nose of the sub"

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
https://twitter.com/Maks_NAFO_FELLA/status/1703777917547716651?s=20

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

CannonFodder posted:

And the US even owned up to their submarine mistakes, like the "Whoops we hit a Japanese fishing ship because we tried to do the "launch out of the sea like a humpback whale" move, and the "Whoops we hit an underground mountain and totally hosed up the nose of the sub"

uh huh, we sure did speak publicly about those very public submarine incidents. And others as well, like when we run into merchant ships on the surface, or run aground off the coast of Sardegna, etc. Yes sir, those were all on the news

:nsa:

Oldsmobile
Jun 13, 2006

Man, I hope this is it boys.

Data Graham posted:

It wasn't just a road going F1 car, it was a road going F1 car from the era when F1 cars were dope af.

Mentour pilot had a good video on how Russian planes are being maintained: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJ9-31Pe4mk

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice
I hope this is true.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Blyat Lightyear posted:

It's not diving, it's sinking with style

Burns
May 10, 2008

Rarely have we seen postings of Russian units being flat out defeated. If true, thats a big deal.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Burns posted:

Rarely have we seen postings of Russian units being flat out defeated. If true, thats a big deal.

It's been happening more frequently as of late. Destruction of entire elements happens rarely but given what we know about the lack of rotation, increasing attrition, supply issues, and manpower shortages we're going to start seeing this happen more and more. This is the ultimate consequence to corruption endemic in a military

Case in point, the meat assaults have resumed so expect to see more units entirely taken out:

TM edit: Removed a video showing a corpse

Somebody fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Sep 18, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Wow bloodthirsty Ukrainians. Why won't they just come to peace at the negotiating table?