Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊

Hirayuki posted:

It's getting more and more of a pain in the rear end to migrate to a new PC. I do blame Microsoft for a lot of it--the constant badgering to use a MS account for your user account, shoving OneDrive down my throat, etc.--but there's weird poo poo in the details, like a network card setting that just...turns it off when idle?? No, goddamn you, we use this as a mail/Website server! It has to stay online! I've been upgrading computers since the 3.1 days, and this is by far the worst loving migration I have ever dealt with, and it should be straightforward as hell. Luckily I only have to do it once every decade or so.

Related, because I don't know where else to ask this in prose (and AI wasn't helpful):
I have my old computer connected via cable to ethernet. I have an external drive connected to the old computer. Both are working fine and accessible remotely via my laptop.
I have mapped Old and External as network drives on the new computer.
I open a directory on Old and the corresponding directory on New.
I select files on Old and drag them to copy to New.
Windows says, "Whoa, 67 of these files have the same name. What should I do?" I tell it to copy anyway. It does the Preparing to Copy thing, numerating all the files.
Windows says, "Whoa, you need to give an admin OK for that." I do. It does the Preparing to Copy thing again.
Windows says, "Location Old not available. Make sure it's connected, online, etc. Or maybe it's been deleted!"
Bitch, it's right here! We're both looking at it!
I run a reapplication of access rights to all of Old and all of External (interrupted occasionally by New going offline to "save power" :dumb:).
Same thing happens, every time.

:bang: If anyone knows what I'm missing, please, please tell me. I have a bunch of poo poo to move from Old to New and no immediately better way to do so.

My general experience with windows file sharing is to never do it. I don't even try anymore, and instead use warpinator (a windows version named winpinator exists) to move files between computers on the same network.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I get the day to myself so I set up to record myself playing music and suddenly my one cat who I hardly ever even see is MEOWING at me. I'm like what. And she just kinda walks off. Comes back and does it again when I get started! Troll.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

"Starting soon, you'll have to have an account to be allowed to control the smart lights you paid for!"
I've been allowed to control my lights and poo poo with their app (Philips Hue) without a user account for years, but now they insist that I make a user account as well, or I'm going to get locked out of using my lights the way they're intended to?
I really wish the EU would roll out some 'Hey smart-X companies, you're not allowed to lock functionality behind accounts unless it's absolutely critical and necessary' laws or something.

It's just stupid how the entire ecosystem worked fine without needing a user account up until now, except for where it was actually needed. (Remote/over-internet access, for example.)
But now there's just a giant ol' banner at the top of the app insisting I make an account or lose access. (The banner is of course the most annoying part.)
I'd be way less annoyed if they'd just forced accounts from the beginning, instead of pushing it from optional to required a few years later.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

I don't care if your coffee shop has no wi-fi but if you tell me to 'pretend it's 1992' you can't get mad at me for making GBS threads my pants and spilling apple juice on the floor

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Riatsala posted:

I don't care if your coffee shop has no wi-fi but if you tell me to 'pretend it's 1992' you can't get mad at me for making GBS threads my pants and spilling apple juice on the floor

<riots & burns the coffee shop down> "well, you didn't specify when in 1992..."

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK

Riatsala posted:

Pretend it's 1992? Okay, I'll have a 75 cent coffee and a table in the smoking section, please.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

I just want the digital resources on the Library of Congress site to loving work when I need to reference them. They're ALWAYS BREAKING. I haven't been able to pull up a Sanborn map since last night.

I AM IN A WORLD OF FURY

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Oh goddamn it I also made a pot of coffee before I sat down to work and just... forgot. Now two and a half hours later I have a pot of coffee that tastes a little burnt.

How did I not smell this?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

People who sleep too much.

If you go to bed early and you wake up late? What's wrong with you? It's kind of annoying when people want to call it a night early because they're early risers, but it's understandable. Some of us function better later in the day and like to sleep in, some of us function better in the morning and like to go to bed early. But I know multiple people, who I know for a fact do not get up early, but also don't stay up late. They're apparently sleeping something like ten or eleven hours a night. Or at least being in bed for that long.

I'm sure that's worse for them than it is for me since they have to live their entire lives with so many fewer hours available to them, but... I'd make the effort to get up early to maximise the time we have to do stuff together, except that I don't have to because you're sleeping as late as I am and yet somehow still getting tired hours before I do.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Tiggum posted:

I don’t like them either but for me it’s just jealousy

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Tiggum posted:

If you go to bed early and you wake up late? What's wrong with you? It's kind of annoying when people want to call it a night early because they're early risers, but it's understandable. Some of us function better later in the day and like to sleep in, some of us function better in the morning and like to go to bed early. But I know multiple people, who I know for a fact do not get up early, but also don't stay up late. They're apparently sleeping something like ten or eleven hours a night. Or at least being in bed for that long.

I'm sure that's worse for them than it is for me since they have to live their entire lives with so many fewer hours available to them, but... I'd make the effort to get up early to maximise the time we have to do stuff together, except that I don't have to because you're sleeping as late as I am and yet somehow still getting tired hours before I do.

So, there's this thing called depression

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Snowy posted:

I don’t like them either but for me it’s just jealousy

Negostrike posted:

So, there's this thing called depression

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Tiggum posted:

There's like a billion different things that can cause that. For as necessary as sleep is for humans it's some real bullshit how bad we can be at it.

and yeah 'depression' but also 'stress', 'anxiety', 'sleep apnea', etc etc...

Hell, 'fatigue' is a listed symptom for almost every kind of illness under the sun.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
There's also been a pandemic going on for the past three years and it causes fatigue as well as causing long term ongoing lung issues that mean low oxygen which means fatigue

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

It's not uncommon for people to be on their phone/tablet/reading etc in bed.
When I'm at home, I usually only read while in bed, so sometimes I'll flop into bed an hour or two before bedtime to relax and read, or watch some youtube etc before going to bed.

But also yeah, back when I was really struggling more with depression/stress I'd spend ages just trying to fall asleep, just to wake up in the middle of the night and try to fall asleep again. Easily 10 hours or so in bed to maybe get a bad night's worth of sleep.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Tiggum posted:

Some of is function better at night because it’s a superior time

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
If you rise after the sun you’re missing out

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

If I didn't have a job I'd probably never get up before sunset and only go to sleep just before sunrise because that's the time of day my brain functions the best. Doing anything in sunlight seems wrong.

Alas very few companies function on that schedule

Maybe I should take up burglary.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Every time.
You put something out on (local craigslist), you set up a price that's very sensible and a bit lowballed compared to the other things being sold. You flip on the 'buy it now at this price' option.
And some jackass rolls up 'hello yes i bid (shameless underbid/half the price) can i have it??'.

It's annoying that you can only give people reviews after you've gone through a transaction with them (makes sense though, to some extent.), but I really wish I could give the people who do nothing except rolling up with terrible shitbids and waste your time negative reviews.
(It also means you can't give poor reviews to people who do poo poo like schedule a loving handover and then don't goddamn show up. Because you didn't complete a transaction/sell it to them.)

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

It reminds me of when my parents and I had a garage sale and this family came up the driveway, looked around, and left. Then the young daughter came back up, was like "can I get this bike free?"

We kinda obviously were like, nah.

She just sucked her teeth at us and walked away saying poo poo under her breath. I guess it was worth a try?

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_music_considered_the_worst#Songs

This list blows. Some of the entries, like Achy Breaky Heart and We Built This City, 100% belong there. But then Sussudio? True (Spandau Ballet)? Bullshit.

The idiot quoted in the blurb for Sussudio saying that it "could have been a song played by the Third Reich" is a real stretch, to say the absolute least. You may not even like the song or Phil Collins but it's hardly the worst song ever written. Check out the 'Songs You Hate' thread for far better examples.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

We Built This City fucks, gently caress you

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

Yeah gently caress that list. Most of it is cribbed from a VH1 special anyway

Also what sort of joyless creature do you have to be to hate 'Miracles'.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
Agadoo by Black Lace isn't even the worst song by Black Lace.

That's Gang Bang.

Yes, that's exactly what it's about.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

What's up with "What's Up?" being on that list lmao

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Vidéos in places where photos or text would do

X100000000 if it’s a « training »video involving someone slooooowly reading text on the screen

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Cats are terrifying, everyone knows that! 'Cause they're witches! And they've got knives in their feet!

my partner keeps watching these videos about warhammer lore narrated by an AI David Attenborough voice. i hate them so much. there are SO MANY of them

i guess my peeve is AI voices on youtube videos, but gently caress those ones especially

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
I can't remember the last time I saw something on YouTube that didn't just annoy the hell out of me. Every trend, every AI voice, every desperate effort to jump on whatever went viral in the last hour, it all appeals to everything I am not. I am old, maybe :(

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

credburn posted:

I can't remember the last time I saw something on YouTube that didn't just annoy the hell out of me. Every trend, every AI voice, every desperate effort to jump on whatever went viral in the last hour, it all appeals to everything I am not. I am old, maybe :(

Or watching the wrong YouTube channels. There're tons of channels that aren't like that. Many of them have been putting out consistent work for years.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
I just looked at the youtube front page in an incognito window, and boy is it bleak. If you're not using an account, and/or using the front page instead of youtube.com/feed/subscriptions, then yeah you're going to have trouble finding anything even remotely good. Get recommendations from actual humans, subscribe to the ones you like, and use the subs feed. You can be free of the algorithm. Many youtube people make quality videos, but you won't get them from the front page, because they're trying to have a consistent audience that wants what they're doing (and supports them on patreon or whatever) rather than chase trends and go viral. So they don't show up in the algorithm unless you've really trained your account to recommend you their kind of stuff (whatever that may be).

What kinda stuff are you looking for?

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

Whenever YouTube has a theme banner it takes up the entire goddamn homepage on mobile and you have to close it every time.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Not being able to do an exact search sucks. I wanted to see if people had talked about the TV show Severance in one of my discords but the results include things like "several" making it a pointless exercise.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Not being able to do an exact search sucks. I wanted to see if people had talked about the TV show Severance in one of my discords but the results include things like "several" making it a pointless exercise.

That sucks. On the opposite end not supporting partial results is also annoying.

I speak the moon language of Finnish and we conjugate inflect all words all the time, so if a chat program doesn't return a partial match it's very hard to find what you need. Telegram is one example that needs the exact full word in order to find a result.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

We've talked about it in the GBS "Post how things got shittier" thread, but MAN, Gmail search has just taken a giant loving poo poo-dive. It's almost like it's trying TOO HARD.

Like, "Oh you searched for 'Electri'* to find your electricity bill? Well I found emails with the word "Electric Statement"... I will show you one of those...but not the most recent, the one from July...I'll also show you results that include a word you didn't search for, but we found in the first result we gave you, so...good enough, right?

Seriously, look at this, this is a search from just now:

Because the first result (again, why it's the electric statement from July and not September, IDK) had the word "Burlington", I guess it figures I want to ALSO get results for that, so I get a generic email from the Burlington DPW about an issue with their online portal.
And then another electric statement...from May.

*Oh, maybe it's my fault for not typing out the whole word 'electric'? Ok, let's do that and see what we get:

Ok, we don't have that random DPW result. I get three electric statements, all of them being too old/not the most recent, and then two emails about my recent visits to an Urgent Care. I can assure you, nothing about my visits were related to "Electricity", and the urgent care is not in Burlington. Like...why in God's name are those in the search results at all?!

DrBouvenstein has a new favorite as of 17:16 on Sep 25, 2023

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Autocomplete search!!!!!

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

you know those memes that are just tumblr comment threads? you know what would make them a lot better? Turning them into a video and adding the most dogshit voiceover you've ever heard. just negative quality on the delivery. do it in the epic rant voice you've been practicing in the shower for years without feedback. reeeeeeally make that cadence as unnatural as possible, like you have no clue when the sentence is going to end. for the other voice just recruit the monotone girl in your chem 102 study group

now post that added value to twitter you comedy geniius, you loving maverick

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"

Riatsala posted:

you know those memes that are just tumblr comment threads? you know what would make them a lot better? Turning them into a video and adding the most dogshit voiceover you've ever heard. just negative quality on the delivery. do it in the epic rant voice you've been practicing in the shower for years without feedback. reeeeeeally make that cadence as unnatural as possible, like you have no clue when the sentence is going to end. for the other voice just recruit the monotone girl in your chem 102 study group

now post that added value to twitter you comedy geniius, you loving maverick

I have no idea what you're talking about, but it sounds incredibly online. Log off!!

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Not being able to sing sad songs without crying

I'm supposed to be making other people cry, drat it!

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Brawnfire posted:

If you’re singing sad songs and crying in front of an audience you’re doing a great job

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Brawnfire posted:

gently caress me, I'll be singing along to a song in the car (often not even an especially sad song) and have to skip ahead to the next track because I get too choked up. Getting old is a bitch.