Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Snowman_McK posted:

It rules that the narrative 'he just puts things in without thinking about them' has grown up around Snyder, who is clearly one of the most detail orientated directors working these days.

I originally just liked his movies because the visuals were so over-the-top and spectacular. Watchmen and 300 are just beautiful films, and Zack does a great job of making a movie feel like a comic book splash page. Now I love them because I've learned of how much thought he puts into them.

Edit: Added the quotes because those posts shouldn't be lost on my bad snype

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Snowman_McK posted:

It rules that the narrative 'he just puts things in without thinking about them' has grown up around Snyder, who is clearly one of the most detail orientated directors working these days.

"he just does clever things by accident". I hate when i accidentally learn phrases in icelandic, fucks me off.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?

well why not posted:

"he just does clever things by accident". I hate when i accidentally learn phrases in icelandic, fucks me off.

I heard he only knew the song because he heard it in an Icelandic record store while he was on his way to catch a plane home. He asked the owner where he could buy a copy of the album and the guy said the only copy was the one playing on the store's speakers. So he tried to buy that copy.

loving loser. Didn't even know what it was about, just wanted it in his stupid lovely movie.

I don't think this will be a deep cut for most folks here but this is actually a Quentin Tarantino story

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

well why not posted:

and have two different non icelandic actors pronounce them correctly.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
in the Tarantino version there are two guest artists on the track

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

Jack Bandit posted:

Yeah I felt that way when BVS came out too. But instead of being redundant I think they make good companion pieces.

Agreed. Watchmen and BvS are good companion pieces with BvS ending with the optimistic peace built on faith vs peace built on lies of watchmen.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

checkplease posted:

Agreed. Watchmen and BvS are good companion pieces with BvS ending with the optimistic peace built on faith vs peace built on lies of watchmen.

:perfect:

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

roffels posted:

The Good, the Bat, and the Ugly.

This should be the title of a story about Two-Face.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

The MSJ posted:

This should be the title of a story about Two-Face.

Feel it should have leant into the theism more and been;

Man of Steel
Titan
Muse
Myth
Pantheon instead of Justice League

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

"You can't disintegrate the entire planet, Darkside! That would be unjust!"

And like, ok, sure. But, really?

It's especially egregious for this particular movie, where the characters aren't really in a justice league, and the movie takes place both before and after the actual justice league gets blown up by aliens.

Dawn of the Super-Friends

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

shoeberto posted:

I heard he only knew the song because he heard it in an Icelandic record store while he was on his way to catch a plane home. He asked the owner where he could buy a copy of the album and the guy said the only copy was the one playing on the store's speakers. So he tried to buy that copy.

loving loser. Didn't even know what it was about, just wanted it in his stupid lovely movie.

I don't think this will be a deep cut for most folks here but this is actually a Quentin Tarantino story

It is for me which song/movie was this for?

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

Neo Rasa posted:

It is for me which song/movie was this for?

Kill Bill, this wiki page sums it up: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_5.6.7.8%27s

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

I had a feeling this might be it because like 14 years ago I took a class in college about film soundtrack/scoring and I vaguely remembered a lot of grumbling from soundtrack academia like that particular flick's soundtrack was a watershed "is this guy REALLY a genius?" because of the licensed music placement and choices vs. what was going on in the movie. I think it's the only one of his where I remember a kind of almost angry reaction among that crowd to the soundtrack for feeling brainlessly handled vs. how popular it was.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
'Soundtrack academia' sound like a bunch of the biggest wieners on earth.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

I took one film class in undergrad and remember the prof trying to explain his compelling interpretation of Un Chien Andalou and it immediately made me realize how un-serious film academics are.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

People mock TVtropes for having a blatantly incomplete and broken theory on media but they genuinely seem to have a more coherent grasp of it and ability to explain tropes and formulas in clear language than academia seems to most of the time.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Academia as a whole is very bad. When it comes to value to the world, I would take a random construction worker over an academic.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

I loved my film classes and they introduced me to a ton of stuff I could have never seen otherwise

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Neo Rasa posted:

I had a feeling this might be it because like 14 years ago I took a class in college about film soundtrack/scoring and I vaguely remembered a lot of grumbling from soundtrack academia like that particular flick's soundtrack was a watershed "is this guy REALLY a genius?" because of the licensed music placement and choices vs. what was going on in the movie. I think it's the only one of his where I remember a kind of almost angry reaction among that crowd to the soundtrack for feeling brainlessly handled vs. how popular it was.

This is weird and feels like they heard that specific story and got insulted that he just heard something he liked and put it in instead of agonizing over the appropriate thematic choice.

In any case the use of this cover of "Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood" during the duel should offset any weaker soundtrack choices, cause goddamn this rules:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hwiCkU73NA

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

I loved my film classes and they introduced me to a ton of stuff I could have never seen otherwise

I had two good ones as well, really great stuff. But the reality is that a lot of academics are really bad.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Back to the Beginning

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkwf7t_xKgM

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Bad vid, don't watch.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Skipped to a point in the video and it says Zack is pure, not a single thought going on in his head. Kind of opposite of everything being discussed after that Icelandic song reveal.

McGann
May 19, 2003

Get up you son of a bitch! 'Cause Mickey loves you!

checkplease posted:

Skipped to a point in the video and it says Zack is pure, not a single thought going on in his head. Kind of opposite of everything being discussed after that Icelandic song reveal.

It's unfortunate, because I stumbled onto that same video due to my watching of their Alternate history videos (his other channel). He walks the line on "Snyder is empty brained" with "Snyder is a visual storyteller"...which the latter, absolutely right. The former, I disagree because I am of the same opinion as the majority of this thread (He's good. Real good.).

I rarely find myself disagreeing with the creator, but this one was a fairly large whiff. It didn't bother me enough to turn it off, though, and I can see sort of where he's going with it. I imagine if we put him in this thread for a couple weeks, he'd have put out something more positive.

But I absolutely understand his reading of it on the surface.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Every director has lots of thoughts on the material. Tommy Wiseau had a lot of thoughts going through his head. They were weird thoughts, but they were there. Dumb poo poo like "the director didn't think about X" just makes me think that the critic is a narcissist; the "but if they had given it any thought, they would have done it the way I, genius guy, would have wanted it!" type of content consumer.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Everyone knows visuals aren't something you can consciously plan you just have to idiot savant something onto the canvas/film/etc. Yes I am a lover of the arts and dedicate my life to studying them why do you ask?

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal

checkplease posted:

Theres a reason these peoples talents are better suited for Youtube video essays and not actual filmmaking.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Snyders visuals are only good because they're based off comic books. No there is zero difference between a static panel and a cinematic shot don't tell me there is.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I mean, there's a reason that some filmmakers are broadly dismissive of, or even hate, critics. The difference is in getting out there and actually doing it, and having an appreciation for the deeper technical/business side of it, versus talking about it from a sometimes horribly underinformed or even misinformed view. It would be helpful to have more critics with actual filmmaking experience. This is leaving out stuff like every review of Don't Worry Darling mentioning all the set "drama."

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I loved to hear what people didn't like about something and talking about it and how I saw what they didn't like differently. But when it just boils down to "director doesn't get [x]" it's boring and a terrible way to engage with art. That kind of boring and lazy "criticism" is something youtubers across the political spectrum engage with. Some directors being lightning rods for this kind of junk.

Every choice and shot has thought put into it. Now if you don't like the decisions that were made then great! But don't say no thought was put into it because that's just empirically false. Even the dismissive and maligned "wow, this'll be awesome!" reasoning is still thinking about how to make that thing awesome.

Jimbot fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Sep 18, 2023

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal
All you have to do to understand the separation between someone who is a pompous film guy with ideas and someone who can actually make a finished product worth a poo poo is watch Project Greenlight season 4

That producers misery is all you need to know about why certain directors without the greatest critical or financial success still continue to get directing jobs. Take that season and scale it up to serious Hollywood budgets and just imagine what big productions are like if the director is not intelligent and skilled, regardless of end product.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

AccountSupervisor posted:

All you have to do to understand the separation between someone who is a pompous film guy with ideas and someone who can actually make a finished product worth a poo poo is watch Project Greenlight season 4

That producers misery is all you need to know about why certain directors without the greatest critical or financial success still continue to get directing jobs. Take that season and scale it up to serious Hollywood budgets and just imagine what big productions are like if the director is not intelligent and skilled, regardless of end product.

can you expand on this a little? I think I know the point you're making but I also know I will never watch Project Greenlight to confirm.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

People mock TVtropes for having a blatantly incomplete and broken theory on media but they genuinely seem to have a more coherent grasp of it and ability to explain tropes and formulas in clear language than academia seems to most of the time.

I went to film school and was very immersed in academic film crit circles while there, but have been in the professional media production world since. I have former classmates who went on to graduate programs, became professors and other kinds of career academics. And...yeah, I was able to communicate with them about media in undergrad, but the drift since is appreciable.

There's a very in-the-weeds way that academics have to discuss film, and IMO it becomes incoherent when you're trying to apply that framework to contemporary commercial films made for mass audiences. Like, you can discuss Barbie in the context of postmodern semiotics or relate it to the male gaze in silent Hollywood or to oil portraiture of the early Baroque period, but are those texts Greta Gerwig was engaging with; is that a conversation anyone outside of this very insular film academia world is having or needs to have? Just because the author is dead, does it make any angle of approach relevant for interpretation?

As an example, I think about a movie like Into the Spider-Verse, which is heavily conversational with comics as a medium, with the odd canonicity of Spider-Man narratives, with modern franchise filmmaking in a broad sense, etc. There's a lot about it that feels rich for discussion, and being immersed in the specific commercial context that movie was designed around seems important to make meaning out of it. But if some adjunct professor just spent years writing a dissertation on Polish art films 1945-1979, and comes at Into the Spider-Verse with whatever energy that required...who cares? Does it matter?

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Xealot posted:

But if some adjunct professor just spent years writing a dissertation on Polish art films 1945-1979, and comes at Into the Spider-Verse with whatever energy that required...who cares? Does it matter?

I mean I'm way more interested in whatever weird interpretations would come out of this than handing it to TV Tropes of all things

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

I mean I'm way more interested in whatever weird interpretations would come out of this than handing it to TV Tropes of all things

It's not uninteresting but it's a weird thing to take on as a profession. It's a very different thing from just publishing a blog post or whatever.

It starts to get into hairy territory when you start assigning value to academic fields though. I would say that I am down to engage with academic film discussions but would have a hard time taking film academics seriously.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Xealot posted:

There's a very in-the-weeds way that academics have to discuss film, and IMO it becomes incoherent when you're trying to apply that framework to contemporary commercial films made for mass audiences. Like, you can discuss Barbie in the context of postmodern semiotics or relate it to the male gaze in silent Hollywood or to oil portraiture of the early Baroque period, but are those texts Greta Gerwig was engaging with; is that a conversation anyone outside of this very insular film academia world is having or needs to have?

I'm no fan of academia in general, but you're totally misinformed if you think those kids aren't writing about comicbooks and CG blockbusters of whatever. Barbie Movie quotes the Matrix Trilogy constantly. Do you think academics haven't written poo poo about that, or that Gerwig didn't have an idea of the concepts in the Matrix films?

(The actual issues with academia tend to be ideological - e.g. liberal appropriation and depoliticization of leftist concepts. Barbie is, like, laser-targeted at the academic audience.)

The obvious error you're making here is placing certain things "beneath" philosophy, like as if pictures are outside the scope of human understanding once they have little word bubbles incorporated into the composition. You're the guy still saying "it's not supposed to be Shakespeare", as if it's gonna pop their monocles. ("Bwuh?? It's not???")

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Also it's almost been overdone but Shakespeare absolutely was doing the blockbuster movies, romcoms and action movies of his time, complete with quips, puns and fart jokes.

There's a huge problem especially in academia where once something becomes Culture, it is killed stone dead so it can be stuffed and mounted, static and unchangeable, and only then considered worthy of being taken seriously when there is nothing more it can say.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

My friend the serious Shakespeare academic wrote and produced an MCU-quoting version of Henry IV Part 1 stuffed full of quips. I played Falstaff.

Academic work has issues but imo the things being griped about ITT aren't really the point. It's not supposed to be a venue for the most entertaining writing or the most comprehensive encyclopedia of trivia or even the most widely-read reviewers: the point of academic work is to have a particular degree of rigor and review such that each piece of work situates itself in an intellectual tradition. That work might still be total rear end, or the entire branch of thinking it situates itself in might turn out to be discredited nonsense, but it's fundamentally different to even the most erudite opinion piece in the AV Club. Postmodern xenoBarbie might be useless nonsense or it might incredibly fertile ground for the next thirty years of work - what a general public make of it as a review is largely irrelevant.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I just finished watching Flash on Max. It is a.......very dumb movie, but still fun. A lot of the cameos were very fun and put a big smile on my face, except for the one that was very not fun and really really really stupid.

Shannon seemed about 10% as into this as he did into Man of Steel, which y'know, I can't blame him, but I really liked Kara. Seeing Ben Affleck and Zod and Faora one more time was nice and felt like it tied a nice little bow on all of my feelings for the Snyder version of the DCEU. I'm still not happy about how it went down, I feel like the actors, the fans and Snyder all got jerked around a lot over the last few years, but between ZSJL and this, I feel a little bit of closure, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

The obvious error you're making here is placing certain things "beneath" philosophy, like as if pictures are outside the scope of human understanding once they have little word bubbles incorporated into the composition. You're the guy still saying "it's not supposed to be Shakespeare", as if it's gonna pop their monocles. ("Bwuh?? It's not???")

You're the one assuming a value judgment here. I'm not actually making any point about high or low culture in the arts, I'm making a point about academics de-contextualizing media to fit it into a framework that suits their area of interest, very related to your issue with their tendency to depoliticize Leftist media. Of course there are people using comic books and CG blockbusters or whatever in their work; there are people using Tumblr memes and pornography and underground 90's zines in their work. My issue is when the people in these narrow fields of study discuss other media with similar authority, when the specificity of their knowledge might be irrelevant or misapplied. If the comic book CG blockbuster guy you suggest had something to say about Spider-Verse, it'd probably be relevant.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Also it's almost been overdone but Shakespeare absolutely was doing the blockbuster movies, romcoms and action movies of his time, complete with quips, puns and fart jokes.

Yeah, that dig is stupid. Shakespeare was pretty widely popular and not very esoteric or intellectual at all. Popcorn movies are pretty much exactly Shakespeare in that sense, and reference to Shakespeare is obviously still ubiquitous in modern media.