Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Shodai?
Shodai
SHODAI
View Results

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Also, thank you to all the great replies helping me care about more rikishi! :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Teddybear posted:

Can I trade Endo for Onosho (or, if he's unavailable and let me know if he is, Kinbozan)?

Since I have done this, (results through today so spoilering) the previously 0-3 Endo has gone 5-0 and the previously 3-0 Onosho has gone 2-3. I think the moral of the story is never trade.

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008

Beeswax posted:

Natto trying out a new thing to avoid the copyright hunt: uploading to Rumble dot com instead:

https://rumble.com/user/NattoSumo

There's also Odysee if you don't like right-winger sites: https://odysee.com/@NattoSumo:0

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

If you're gonna have roads, you're gonna have roadkill.

KariOhki posted:

There's also Odysee if you don't like right-winger sites: https://odysee.com/@NattoSumo:0

Oh, better chromecast support too.

Edit: Catching up on Day 8, this is the latest I've seen a mono-ii call.

Nativity In Black fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Sep 17, 2023

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Nativity In Black posted:

Oh, better chromecast support too.

Edit: Catching up on Day 8, this is the latest I've seen a mono-ii call.

It seemed like the only reason they went for a mono-ii was because the winner himself thought he had lost.

Taffy Torpedo
Feb 2, 2008

...Can we have the radio?
Ok I've watched a few days now and I think my boys are Endo, Takayasu, Shonannoumi, Abi and Takakeisho.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Banana Canada posted:

Am I really kadoban?

Gah, no. I pulled results from last basho's spreadsheet, but apparently hadn't saved it when we worked out your scoring discrepancy at the end of last tournament. You're ozeki 1e now, and are not kadoban. Considering that I'm between jobs atm it might be time for me to do a big re-work of my spreadsheet, we'll see.

Robviously posted:

Looking to trade Kotoeko for Kinbozan, Takayasu or Onosho in that order.

You get Kinbozan from Day 7.

Saturnine Aberrance posted:

With the amazing feats of witchcraft on display today, and amidst the steady decline of the giant slayer, I would like to put in for a trade: May I replace Tamawashi with Ura? If Ura is not available, I am feeling a possible Meisei resurgence.

You get Ura from Day 7.

Ice Phisherman posted:

If I can, can I still trade Aioyama for Atamifuji?

Unfortunately, Atamifuji is full. However, you requested a trade in time, so I'm going to give you his stablemate Takarafuji (who was the next on your draft wire, which is why I'm doing it) from Day 8. If you'd rather ride with Aoiyama and retain your position in the wire I can roll it back, lmk.

Day 8 standings

Makuuchi
code:
29	Banana Canada
27	Brut
27	Tiny Bug Child
26	Communist Thoughts
26	NuclearPotato
25	Thauros
24	anakha
24	Helianthus Annuus
24	Khizan
24	Pakled
24	Teddybear
24	Vargatron
23	captainblastum
23	Ice Phisherman
22	bessantj
22	Charles Gnarwin
22	pseudodragon
22	Robviously
22	whats for dinner
21	bartolimu
20	Iron Chef Nex
20	MyChemicalImbalance
19	Crusty Nutsack
19	Fluffdaddy
19	GoatSeeGuy
19	Kenning
19	Kuros
19	LlamaTrauma
18.5	Saturnine Aberrance
18	Marching Powder
18	Mode 7
15.5	Akiosan
15.5	Jobbo_Fett
12.5	Chinook
Juryo
code:
29	Lid
28	Eldoop
28	oldskool
25	Beexoffel
24	Nativity In Black
24	The Postman
23	Average Lettuce
22	ullerrm
21.5	Samuel L. Hacksaw
21	Ben Nerevarine
21	Dead Goon
21	Flinger
21	Log082
21	Medenmath
21	NTRabbit
21	Single Tight Female
20	ImplicitAssembler
20	Liquid Communism
20	Xerzes
19	Fearless
19	Takuan
18	FART BOSS
17.5	PJ
17	Bentai
16.5	Boogalo
16	QuasiQuack
14.5	ratmosphere

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Kenning posted:

Unfortunately, Atamifuji is full. However, you requested a trade in time, so I'm going to give you his stablemate Takarafuji (who was the next on your draft wire, which is why I'm doing it) from Day 8. If you'd rather ride with Aoiyama and retain your position in the wire I can roll it back, lmk.

I'd like to keep Aoiyama then, thanks.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

You got it!

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Taffy Torpedo posted:

Ok I've watched a few days now and I think my boys are Endo, Takayasu, Shonannoumi, Abi and Takakeisho.

A very respectably bunch of dudes. People like to hate on Abi but I just love his utter lunkishness. There's a charm to him, with his big old dopey face, on his tippy-toes , pushing his meaty hands into peoples's faces.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

No spoilers since I’m still waiting for Natto to post day but I gotta say, much as I tried to avoid it I think I have a big case of PTSD

Pessimistic Takayasu Stress Disorder

I’m juist waiting for the other geta to drop

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

Fairly pleased with how my team is doing despite having immediately forgotten who was on it.

I think it's down to:

Takakeisho coming back from injury looking better than expected (though who knows after that bump on day 8). A bit lucky I didn't get my first pick of Hoshoryu.

Wakamotoharu off to a hot start.

Mitakeumi and Endo are potentially way better than their current rank.

Lone hold out with a losing record is Shodai, who I think is also better than his rank suggests. He's been through the sanyaku ring week one, so I expect he'll get easier matches starting today and perhaps turn things around

Of course the inverse is true of the rest of my team, they should start getting harder matches now.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Speaking (recently) of forgettable rikishi.

Me whenever I see Shonannoumi: "Who the hell is is guy?"

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

This is only his second basho in makuuchi, not surprising you don’t recognize him by sight.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Second bashi in makuuchi and he's M5? Maybe I /should/ be paying attention :wow:

Kirishima/Ura: lol Ura doing the circus backflip yeet out of the ring

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

IT TURN OUT METAL FOR DINNER!

This basho has been one hell of a ride so far and I'm loving almost every second of it. Hoshoryu was clearly cursed by being put on my team and he really doesn't seem like himself out there at all. He's shaping up to be kadoban in November :(

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

whats for dinner posted:

This basho has been one hell of a ride so far and I'm loving almost every second of it. Hoshoryu was clearly cursed by being put on my team and he really doesn't seem like himself out there at all. He's shaping up to be kadoban in November :(

It's the shin-ozeki curse. Lots of new ozeki go kadoban their first tournament after promotion. Plus he's not MK yet.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

I haven't been keeping up but I'm thrilled to see my picks have landed me at the bottom of the list. I'll try to catch up and see what happened.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Samuel L. Hacksaw posted:

It's the shin-ozeki curse. Lots of new ozeki go kadoban their first tournament after promotion. Plus he's not MK yet.

Also he was robbed pretty hard today, that was a do over at the very worst

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

NTRabbit posted:

Also he was robbed pretty hard today, that was a do over at the very worst

Agreed, it looked close enough on replay for torinaoshi.

Independent of that though, Takayasu lookin real good, hoping he puts Atamifuji into runner-up convention tomorrow!

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I haven't got to watch many days of this basho because NHK keeps knocking off the Natto streams!!! Is there an alternate mirror for the bout digests every day?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

The NattoSumo discord posts links daily. There’s a few mirrors, I found the vudeo.co ones to be least annoying and without ads.

Sucks to have to join yet another single purpose discord but you can find the link just by googling NattoSumo Discord IIRC.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

some kinda jackal posted:

Second bashi in makuuchi and he's M5? Maybe I /should/ be paying attention :wow:

Shonannoumi, Gonoyama, and Hakuho are the three from the last basho who went double digits and got Fighting Spirit prizes their first time in the top division. All three are worth paying attention to imo.

Taffy Torpedo
Feb 2, 2008

...Can we have the radio?
Does Gonoyama have a hairy back? I liked someone other than Takayasu who was a hairy boy but I don't remember who.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

some kinda jackal posted:

The NattoSumo discord posts links daily. There’s a few mirrors, I found the vudeo.co ones to be least annoying and without ads.

Sucks to have to join yet another single purpose discord but you can find the link just by googling NattoSumo Discord IIRC.

I've been having luck just on YT searching his name. I don't know if they are actually his accounts or someone just reupping but the current day has been there when I've gone in. Can't go back more than like a day so I've missed a couple days I can't go back and catch up.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Ura is the best (spoilered some match results just in case):

https://topics.smt.docomo.ne.jp/article/chuspo/sports/chuspo-771199

quote:

Ura's love for McDonald's, his ally in weight gain, makes him sad that the price of sausage muffins will be raised.

Even though he had taken a white star from the new ozeki, he couldn't help blurting out, "It's sad that they're going to raise the price of sausage muffins." Ura (Kise) hit low and pushed Hoshoryu (Takasago). He kept moving and landed a flurry of strikes that sent his opponent crashing to the ground, shoulder first.

The match was perfect. He kept the initiative and won the bout. However, since his opponent was an ozeki, he said, "It was just a coincidence. It was great that I was able to get a white star in a place where I couldn't get a white star in terms of my ability. I want to cherish it," he reflected humbly.

It was the eighth day of the autumn tournament. It was the eighth day of the autumn tournament, and the players were beginning to feel tired. "I'm tired," Ura confided honestly. "I'm trying not to lose weight, but...." He weighed in at 143 kilograms for the current tournament, but he will inevitably lose weight during the tournament.

"It hurts that I can't eat in the morning. I want to keep my weight down to minus three kilograms throughout the tournament." This is a serious problem for Ura, who is aiming to increase his weight.

McDonald's hamburgers are helping him gain weight. It is the price increase that Ura wants to complain about. Although he has been criticized by those around him for eating protein in the form of hamburgers, he has maintained his love for McDonald's, saying, "I'm a friend of McDonald's. I'm not going to let the damage from breakfast McDonald's get to me. But I'm on the side of McDonald's," he said. The price increase for sausage muffins is sad. Still, we would like to believe that his love for McDonald's will never change.

:allears:

Also, enjoy this video of Akatsu, AKA "Stunto" :D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_92AQVoclsA

Winter Stormer
Oct 17, 2012

On the other hand, shin-ozeki rarely go kadoban without withdrawing due to injury - that's only happened twice since the current kadoban rules were instituted in 1969, both times in 2000. For context, in the same period, there have been 13 newly promoted* ozeki who withdrew from competition before going make-koshi, and 63 ozeki promotions in total.

It'll be interesting to see how Hoshoryu plays the next six days.

* "newly promoted" instead of "shin-", because Tochinoshin became ozeki twice and both times withdrew from the very next tournament.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Takakeisho coming back from injury looking better than expected (though who knows after that bump on day 8). A bit lucky I didn't get my first pick of Hoshoryu.

I'm still not convinced he doesn't just take an 8-kyujo unless the leaders drop one to put him back in the race especially after day 8. That's probably still better than Hosho will wind up a though.

sleppy
Dec 25, 2008

https://twitter.com/mondomascots/status/1703799059654549849
https://www3.nhk.or.jp/lnews/aomori/20230918/6080020565.html video

Lucasar
Jan 25, 2005

save a few for lefty too
Onosato (Kisenosato's big recruit Nakamura) is currently 9-0 in his first basho in Juryo and seems to be one to watch.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Utterly amazed at how poorly my picks have gone and how badly my stubborn insistence to myself that I wouldn't trade this basho has rewarded me. :allears:

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

(Hoshoryu) Agreed, it looked close enough on replay for torinaoshi.
The top of his toe was pretty clearly dragging along the dirt before they got into the mess at the edge of the dohyo.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I think Hiradoumi has been fighting a lot better than his record shows. Otherwise Takayasu yusho, or Takayasu yuchoke?

Day 9 standings

Makuuchi
code:
33	Banana Canada
31	Communist Thoughts
31	Tiny Bug Child
30	anakha
30	Khizan
30	Thauros
29	Brut
29	NuclearPotato
29	Teddybear
28	Pakled
28	Vargatron
27	Helianthus Annuus
26	bessantj
26	Ice Phisherman
26	pseudodragon
25	bartolimu
25	captainblastum
25	MyChemicalImbalance
25	Robviously
25	whats for dinner
24	Charles Gnarwin
24	Iron Chef Nex
23	Kenning
22	GoatSeeGuy
22	LlamaTrauma
21	Fluffdaddy
21	Kuros
20	Marching Powder
20	Mode 7
19.5	Saturnine Aberrance
19	Crusty Nutsack
18.5	Akiosan
16.5	Jobbo_Fett
13.5	Chinook
Juryo
code:
32	Eldoop
32	Lid
32	oldskool
28	Beexoffel
28	The Postman
27	Dead Goon
27	NTRabbit
26	Average Lettuce
26	Nativity In Black
26	ullerrm
25	Flinger
24.5	Samuel L. Hacksaw
24	Ben Nerevarine
24	Medenmath
23	Fearless
23	Liquid Communism
23	Log082
23	Xerzes
22	ImplicitAssembler
21.5	PJ
21	Single Tight Female
20	FART BOSS
20	Takuan
19.5	Boogalo
19	Bentai
19	QuasiQuack
16.5	ratmosphere

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

code:
27	Dead Goon
I'm feeling a little dizzy!

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
[holding a fistful of losing betting slips i'll check anyway] it's alright my boys rally late

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

sumo should have more leg locks

(that's craig jones & nick rodriguez hanging out at hakuho's stable after the quintet event in japan the other weekend)

this site sucks and can't embed youtube shorts whatsoever so just go to the b-team youtube channel to see a rolling kneebar on a rikishi

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Always bet on Takayasu choking :(

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

Day 10: I really need to get better at Japanese so I can understand the shimpan decisions. I'm guessing that they did a torinaoshi for the Ura/Keisho match because of the dead body rule that I still don't quite understand? This helps my fantasy team but also hurts because I love watching Ura get the most bizarre of wins.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Day 10: I really need to get better at Japanese so I can understand the shimpan decisions. I'm guessing that they did a torinaoshi for the Ura/Keisho match because of the dead body rule that I still don't quite understand? This helps my fantasy team but also hurts because I love watching Ura get the most bizarre of wins.

Dead body rule is basically where a wrestler in an unassailable winning position touches down first to break their fall and prevent injury. The problem is that this is often up to interpretation on what exactly is an unassailable winning position.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Lid posted:

Meddling Old Men time to check if the groundhog saw its shadow and thus whether the dead body rule is in effect or not