Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

It’s the 10 RC, which I think you need 17 RC on your phone to get.

An ok got it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

rafikki posted:

My 5 can’t go another year, so I bit the bullet on a 9. Somewhat tempted to go into the store and check out the ultra and maybe swap for that in a few weeks.

Within the next 14 days? That’s the watch return policy.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
I honestly don't really see the benefit of night mode, I just set it to off forever.

Just fyi the new Ultra 2 watch face is also available for Ultra 1 users. It's really drat good. It will probably be my main face going forward.

Question: I have an Ultra with an activated cell line, so I can use it without an iphone. I am considering running an experiment where I just don't bring my phone anywhere for a month or something.

But I had some concerns before I started:

1) Can the ultra use wifi data when available, or is it always on the cell network?

2) is there anyone in this thread who uses their watch without an iphone? If so could you speak on your experience with it?

I grabbed the new airpod pro usb c version and am hoping that the airpods plus the ultra means I can jettison the phone entirely unless I need it for photos...

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Just like your phone, Watches will always preferentially use wifi if it's available.

I installed WatchOS 10 and rather like it. I'm not totally sold on moving the control center to a tap instead of a swipe, but at least the recently used apps are under a double-tap. The widgets seem good. 9/10 would install again

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

Taima posted:

:words:

But I had some concerns before I started:

1) Can the ultra use wifi data when available, or is it always on the cell network?

2) is there anyone in this thread who uses their watch without an iphone? If so could you speak on your experience with it?

I grabbed the new airpod pro usb c version and am hoping that the airpods plus the ultra means I can jettison the phone entirely unless I need it for photos...

I frequently use my Ultra without my phone. I just take my AirPods and leave my phone. I don’t really think about it?

Like another poster said, watch and phone always prefer WiFi when it has it.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
Ok cool that sounds like it could be a great fit then.

The only thing I can't figure out how to replace is, I use Patreon for podcasts. There's no way to do that with the watch currently, yeah?

I know you can enter a url in the Podcast app for an RSS feed but (and PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong here) I think that would only include the free episodes?

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

patreon should give you your own personal RSS feed URL which includes all the poo poo you've paid for

e: maybe somebody has a good recommendation for a watch podcast app? I use overcast on my phone and pushing poo poo to my watch is such a chore I don't usually bother

Clark Nova fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Sep 15, 2023

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Watch won’t hit Wi-Fi if there’s a captive portal IIRC.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

Clark Nova posted:

patreon should give you your own personal RSS feed URL which includes all the poo poo you've paid for

e: maybe somebody has a good recommendation for a watch podcast app? I use overcast on my phone and pushing poo poo to my watch is such a chore I don't usually bother

Ya - this works fine with Podcasts.app. I listen to podcasts regularly with just my watch and AirPods.

I can’t remember if they have to be downloaded already - that may be one limitation. Watch doesn’t generally like to stream content.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

Yesterday I tried to get my scratched Watch screen replaced before my Apple Care runs out. I booked the appointment through the support iMessage thing absolutely fine but when I got to the store, the person at the entrance said not to bother trying as it was cosmetic damage. I was too busy to start arguing but is it right that cosmetic damage to a watch isn’t covered? This is for England if that changes the contract.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Dugong posted:

Yesterday I tried to get my scratched Watch screen replaced before my Apple Care runs out. I booked the appointment through the support iMessage thing absolutely fine but when I got to the store, the person at the entrance said not to bother trying as it was cosmetic damage. I was too busy to start arguing but is it right that cosmetic damage to a watch isn’t covered? This is for England if that changes the contract.

Free warranty coverage in EU only covers system damage, not cosmetic damage. Paid for coverage is whatever you want, so get someone from apple on chat, detail the issue and it's likely they will approve it (print it out before going to the shop).

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.
I’m pretty sure that’s exactly how it works here in the US too.
Some “genius” was having a bad day or something.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,

Hmm, I think I’m just slow realising this. I had a Google and there are plenty of posts realising that accidental damage doesn’t cover cosmetic damage. Well that’s a learning to not bother with Applecare in the future.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I think the lesson they're teaching is if you want cosmetic damage fixed, you better have an "accident" before taking it in.

Yeah that's an ethics debate in the making but I feel like if you want to get any random issue fixed and you're willing to pay, they should allow it. Especially because trade in value is a real concern and they are pretty punitive about "cosmetic damage" being visible.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
Or just live a more physically exciting life for a few weeks

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.
I was losing my AppleCare+ on my iPhone X when I was moving to Canada and I wanted to get some scratches on the screen fixed. So a week before I left the US I hit it with a wrench and took it in saying I dropped it. Easy.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

xzzy posted:

I think the lesson they're teaching is if you want cosmetic damage fixed, you better have an "accident" before taking it in.

Yeah that's an ethics debate in the making but I feel like if you want to get any random issue fixed and you're willing to pay, they should allow it. Especially because trade in value is a real concern and they are pretty punitive about "cosmetic damage" being visible.

This is not the issue being discussed. Cosmetic damage does count as accidental damage, most of the time. I believe the issue was, the person did not have AppleCare+, they believed the included warranty covered damage, which it does not.

It’s like, if you have a scratch it will count, if you have a little teeny tiny granule of a scratch from normal usage, they may deny it as it doesn’t fit the definition of unintentional non wear and tear damage, but as stated the genius would have to feel like a jerk doing that denial.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,

Nope. I had AppleCare+. The t&cs on the Apple site specifically call out cosmetic damage not being included. And yes, this just encourages people to commit fraud and smash their covered devices :shrug:

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Inner Light posted:

It’s like, if you have a scratch it will count,

It doesn’t. Apple requires glass to be cracked before it qualifies, or deep enough that it impedes the use of the display (Mac only).

Technicians have access to a VMI (visual mechanical inspection) pdf for each product, that painstakingly details what does and does not fall into each category and if it fails to meet it, they can’t offer even paid replacements.

As others are alluding to yes this does mean people help a product get over that line sometimes.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Not a single fucking olive in sight

Yeast posted:

Technicians have access to a VMI (visual mechanical inspection) pdf for each product, that painstakingly details what does and does not fall into each category and if it fails to meet it, they can’t offer even paid replacements.

The screen cracked on my MacBook Air, it was apparently a 1:1,000,000 manufacturing flaw, when I took it to the Apple store they took the PDF out and painstakingly tried to find anything that indicated physical damage, down to a magnifying glass.

Even after not being able to find anything they said, OK, we are sending this in tentatively under warranty but if they find anything internal it still might be denied.

It was fixed under warranty.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Reminds me of one time we took my wife’s iPad in because the screen cracked, planning to pay the $100 to get it replaced under Apple Care+. Tech looked at it and said a single long crack without any other damage was a defect and covered for free. Nice surprise.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Three Olives posted:

The screen cracked on my MacBook Air, it was apparently a 1:1,000,000 manufacturing flaw, when I took it to the Apple store they took the PDF out and painstakingly tried to find anything that indicated physical damage, down to a magnifying glass.

Even after not being able to find anything they said, OK, we are sending this in tentatively under warranty but if they find anything internal it still might be denied.

It was fixed under warranty.

Yeah when I ran a Genius Bar I’d occasionally make exceptions too, especially when the products under their Apple ID was (10+)

Each store has a threshold for ‘exceptions’ basically products that aren’t meant to be covered in a month, sometimes we were more aggressive than other times because we’d had an influx of new hires who’d incorrectly categorised something.

Ymmv

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

smackfu posted:

Reminds me of one time we took my wife’s iPad in because the screen cracked, planning to pay the $100 to get it replaced under Apple Care+. Tech looked at it and said a single long crack without any other damage was a defect and covered for free. Nice surprise.

Yeah hairline fractures with no observable point of origin got a lot of leeway.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

smackfu posted:

I worked at Apple just before they introduced the “+” to AppleCare+ during the period where the first instance of physical damage was covered under a “surprise and delight” policy.

Somebody once brought in their iPad that they’d somehow run over with their car; the thing was absolutely destroyed but I got to give him a free replacement (even if it felt a bit absurd, lol)

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Treadmill? What's that? Is that some kind of cake?

Interesting little bit of data regarding the Apple Watch vO2 reading:

My latest Apple Watch number: 29.7
Results of a CPEX test: 44

I know everyone says to take the watch measurements with a grain of salt but I was always bad at that and got stressed every time it took a reading and told me I have the cardiopulmonary fitness of a dying old man.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
That's a pretty wild discrepancy, depending on your age that could be from deep into the lowest category all the way to a decent way into Above Average. The way I think about it is, the Apple reading may be a ways off the real one but probably trends in the same way, so if Apple says I'm improving I'm probably actually improving by about that much. Maybe some day I should have a lab done.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Fedule posted:

The way I think about it is, the Apple reading may be a ways off the real one but probably trends in the same way

If it cant get an accurate baseline any variance cant be trusted either.

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Treadmill? What's that? Is that some kind of cake?

Fedule posted:

That's a pretty wild discrepancy, depending on your age that could be from deep into the lowest category all the way to a decent way into Above Average. The way I think about it is, the Apple reading may be a ways off the real one but probably trends in the same way, so if Apple says I'm improving I'm probably actually improving by about that much. Maybe some day I should have a lab done.

The doctor running the test told me Apple Watch in her experience way underestimates it for the young and overestimates it for the old. She gets lots of questions about this exact thing from athletes worried about their Apple Watch vO2 max apparently.

Then again for some people it’s spot on. The problem is you don’t know which one you are without actually getting it tested I guess. From what I understand it’s based on heart rate norms, and what your bpm “should be” for a particular effort based on a population sample, so if you lie outside of that slope it will probably just give you busted rear end measurements either over or under.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
Love the new update. New ultra face is complication central and I’m here for it. Auto dark mode also is nice. Love all the little tweaks and changes, same for iOS 17. bike workout showing on phone is good.

But.

Timers still not syncing to phone. TIM!!! :argh:

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Do you wear the watch to bed? The thing needs to estimate a proper RHR for all this jazz to work some what better.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

OK, I've been using watchOS 10 for the last couple hours and I'm not a fan of the UI changes. I know Apple is going all in on widgets for what I assume is a tie in with the headset, but did we need to change the controls to add two separate ways to access the same stuff most people won't even bother messing with?

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

GoatSeeGuy posted:

OK, I've been using watchOS 10 for the last couple hours and I'm not a fan of the UI changes. I know Apple is going all in on widgets for what I assume is a tie in with the headset, but did we need to change the controls to add two separate ways to access the same stuff most people won't even bother messing with?

Came here to post this. wOS 10 striking the whole goddamn way out so far. Why the gently caress can't I swipe between faces anymore? I had a couple set up with nice little purpose-based groups of stuff which was nice and also 100x more usable than the tiny app grid or alphabetical list for quickly getting to some app if I needed it, with the Infograph being like a central hub of eight things. So that's all thrown in the garbage now, and apparently for literally nothing, swiping left and right just does nothing now, so, that's nice. Control Center was very convenient on the swipe-up, the side button is kinda awkward to press, especially if your watch band is not vice-like on your wrist. So now swipe-up gives you widgets... but turning the Crown also gives you widgets! But turning the Crown doesn't get you to notifications! What I wouldn't give to put Control Center back on swipe up, use the Crown to access widgets and use the side button... to do literally anything else, but we can't have that because I guess the action button is a designated luxury feature. The actual widgets themselves I could possibly see myself liking eventually so time will tell on that, possibly they'll make a convenient way of keeping apps handy at least. Though I don't like that the first chunk of the widget screen appears reserved for a clock, which is, y'know, the only thing literally guaranteed to have already been visible on literally every screen on which you can open widgets. But the apps... I opened the new Weather app, and boy is it pretty, and boy am I mad that there used to be a single scrollable heads-up view that gave you the conditions, temperature, forecast, warnings if any and all the UV, AQI, wind, humidity, etc, all there together, whereas now you have to make two taps for each thing you want to look up, so I have to say the apps are not off to a great start. Similarly there are separate Weather widgets for all the available metrics and no Weather widgets that just loving give you an overall heads up about what the loving weather is like right now. That said I think the standout greatest widget innovation is the one that's literally just a shelf for three circular complications so maybe there's hope yet for people who just want a wrist full of glanceable information within the easiest possible reach?

One day, there will be custom watch faces.

E: It appears you are allowed only one shelf of complications in your widget? What the gently caress? Come on.

Fedule fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Sep 19, 2023

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
My watch 6 battery life is getting not great , although with work at home I only wear it a few times a week for 2-5 hours at a time when I go out.

I was going to upgrade it to the watch 9 or ultra, but im thinking of wait another year and/or pay $80 for a new battery.

All I need my watch to do is notifications , Apple Pay, obviously tell time, and work with Apple fitness. So other than battery life I am not seeing a need to upgrade ?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Ok but have you considered that the ultra is awesome?

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Oh since I'm on such a complaining roll. I have Heart Rate as the top middle complication in Infograph so it gets the text add-on. I never really liked how it would almost always say "XX BPM - Y minutes ago", which was a lot of text that would never change when all it actually needed was, like, "XX BPM, Ym" or even no time listed at all since as I understand it's supposed to only update if you start or stop moving or if one minute's reading is very different from the next's. But if there'd been a reading recently, it'd say "XX BPM - now" which was tidier. But now, it says "XX BPM - in 0 minutes", for several minutes after a reading. Please be serious, Apple. OS releases this year seem comically half-baked.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Duckman2008 posted:

My watch 6 battery life is getting not great , although with work at home I only wear it a few times a week for 2-5 hours at a time when I go out.

I was going to upgrade it to the watch 9 or ultra, but im thinking of wait another year and/or pay $80 for a new battery.

All I need my watch to do is notifications , Apple Pay, obviously tell time, and work with Apple fitness. So other than battery life I am not seeing a need to upgrade ?

FWIW all signs point to next year's Apple Watch getting the iPhone X treatment, new features design etc.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

If you don’t want to worry about the battery life for the next decade with your usage model, get an Ultra 2.

Or wait for a rumored more significant upgrade next year.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

MarcusSA posted:

Ok but have you considered that the ultra is awesome?

I have and this is the main counterpoint in terms of arguing that I should get a new watch. New gadgets are awesome.

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

If you don’t want to worry about the battery life for the next decade with your usage model, get an Ultra 2.

Or wait for a rumored more significant upgrade next year.

This is the sensible advice (wait one more year).

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

:murder:
It’s always the worst time to buy any electronic always wait forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

my company covers a watch as part of our fitness budget so i'm inclined to buy a series 9 so i can do pinchy pinch actions.