Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

An arsehole linked me to George Gallaway talking about Russell Brand and doing the whole 'the establishment are out to silence him' thing. I won't link the video but its him going on about how he's shocked (sarcasm) that a man who admitted he was a sex addict is uncovered to be a sex addict.

Bit of a difference between being promiscuous and raping someone though innit. It's bizarre the underlying admission that the allegations are probably true but also being weaponised unfairly by the elites- Whom amongst us has not committed historic sex crimes? First they came for the nonces etc.

Also very weird the assumption that a YouTuber 15 years past his fame era was saying things that are so much of a threat that the powers that be were making GBS threads their pants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
To be as fair to George Galloway as he deserves, the BBC are also going on about how some of his videos have over 9 million views and that's more than TV news and all that.

Which is also a bollocks argument, because the Gay Frogs (Alex Jones REMIX) video has over 19 million views, so what?

So they're both granting him some kind of undeserved significance, which throws fuel on the fire of how it was the elite powers trying to silence his True News.

In reality, it's probably his lack of current significance that allowed this to come out and not have the victims intimidated by police as in the past, because they usually take much longer (if at all) to go after the Stanley Johnsons and Lord Janners of the world.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Ed Sheeran has something like 15 billion cumulative views on YouTube, making him the most notable and trustworthy news source to ever exist.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
https://twitter.com/trussliz/status/1703783632672903341
liz truss was on the verge of saving the economy from stagnation, but her brilliant ideas were thwarted by a sinister cabal of COMMUNISTS who HATE GROWTH, the cabal being specifically named as:

- the OBR
- economists, in general
- the tabloid press
- the conservative party

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Guavanaut posted:

Which is also a bollocks argument, because the Gay Frogs (Alex Jones REMIX) video has over 19 million views, so what?

What a tragedy that this superior Alex Jones remix has only 700k views

content warning Alex Jones shirtless.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODZE5peUfWQ

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
Life is like a SON OF A BITCH

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VxLzIPuSew

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Apraxin posted:

liz truss was on the verge of saving the economy from stagnation, but her brilliant ideas were thwarted by a sinister cabal of COMMUNISTS who HATE GROWTH, the cabal being specifically named as:

- the OBR
- economists, in general
- the tabloid press
- the conservative party
The free market already had their say on Trussonomics.

Because it turns out that what the market actually wants (besides privatizing profit and socializing risk, which they shouldn't get) is infrastructure that works and investment in things with a positive fiscal multiplier.

pantsfree
Oct 22, 2012

NotJustANumber99 posted:

how come it isnt the good stuff?

TACD posted:

Oh, this sucks :( Is it worth asking about this when going to the appointment? Or is it perversely better to wait to get a booster until later in the year?

It's worth asking about, afaik basically they don't have the new ones yet, and they have loads of old bivalent booster stock because nobody took them up on it in the spring.

I don't know enough about it to say whether it's best to wait - the XBB booster in studies provides much better protection against the variants currently circulating, but the original one still helps a little. Personally, if I wasn't going to be in any high-risk situations and it wasn't a long wait before I could get a new one, I probably would hold out. But I can't get one at all, even if I was willing to pay for it!

pantsfree fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Sep 18, 2023

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I think that while Brand is a hideous sexmonster who deserves what's coming to him, the 'he's being attacked on partisan terms' stuff brushes close to a certain kind of truth in that it is, in fact, possible for sexmonsters of similar or greater heinousness to get away with barely a peep from the media if they're in with the right people. Consider Dan Wootton, who got up to much the same stuff as Brand and used a series of false identities to run a blackmail business of unknown-but-significant scope, and who doesn't appear to have received any coverage of his crimes from Murdoch media because he's one of theirs. Also Nick Cohen, who admittedly seems to have engaged in less extreme criminality (as far as we know) but went completely without mention until the goddamned New York Times stuck its oar in, and is still the recipient of general institutional amnesia.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Also Brand himself when he was in with the right people. That's why the Despatches was full of "oh we received dozens of complaints from women but none of them met the level of our safeguarding policy, which has since been updated."

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
christ, even by 'home secretary' standards she's so loving awful

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Building trust with communities is playing politics.

Wasting time and effort on feeling up Black lads instead of patrolling is just common sense.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Police shouldn't be involved with politics, no I still want them to protect the government and the marches that I like, and also gently caress up left wing organizations.

Lemurtron
Aug 3, 2017

pantsfree posted:

It's worth asking about, afaik basically they don't have the new ones yet, and they have loads of old bivalent booster stock because nobody took them up on it in the spring.

I don't know enough about it to say whether it's best to wait - the XBB booster in studies provides much better protection against the variants currently circulating, but the original one still helps a little. Personally, if I wasn't going to be in any high-risk situations and it wasn't a long wait before I could get a new one, I probably would hold out. But I can't get one at all, even if I was willing to pay for it!

The older vaccines aren't as effective against the current strains but they do still provide a significant reduction in severe complications/hospitalisation which is my main concern (and is generally a good thing for impact on NHS etc). I'm getting mine on Wednesday, I'll report back which version of mind controlling 5G chip I get. I'm just happy to have wangled getting anything.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Russell Brand's tour has just been cancelled. Shame.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

smellmycheese posted:

This woman went to the police about him in 2014 and ended up being attacked by the police and a judge for harassment

https://www.theguardian.com/culture/2014/sep/11/russell-brand-jemima-khan-masseuse-court-order-harassing

quote:

But police had told Brand and Khan that there was no case to answer, and said the investigation was closed.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
"Police need to focus on cutting crime and restoring confidence."

Okay cool, do less of this poo poo that doesn't work and never has

and more reaching out to communities that may view police with suspicion for current or historical reasons.

"No actually we're going to do the opposite of that."

I suppose it makes sense when you add the secret words "Police need to focus on cutting crime and restoring confidence among reactionary Home Counties retirees."

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

lol that the copaganda of them marching at pride is cancelled by this brain-worm piece of poo poo.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I find it endlessly funny that one of the answers to the (usually bad faith outrage) "How did London get a higher murder rate than New York City?" question (other than that was for a period of about 5 minutes) is "Because New York scrapped stop and search, and then their murder rate fell immediately."

There's a certain type who really don't like that answer.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Guavanaut posted:

I find it endlessly funny that one of the answers to the (usually bad faith outrage) "How did London get a higher murder rate than New York City?" question (other than that was for a period of about 5 minutes) is "Because New York scrapped stop and search, and then their murder rate fell immediately."

There's a certain type who really don't like that answer.

Yeah, because they can only get hard from watching black people being oppressed, abused or murdered

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

What’s the link that causes less stop and search to directly lead to less murders?

Obviously the graph is the graph but why is the graph

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
cops

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

History Comes Inside! posted:

What’s the link that causes less stop and search to directly lead to less murders?

Speaking completely out of my rear end, but I assume that when cops stop doing dumb bullshit that doesn't help, it frees up some of their time to do a small amount of things that actually might help, sometimes.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

The most common cause of murder is domestic violence (for women) and a feud with a friend or acquaintance or business partner (for men).

Neither of those can be influenced by police molesting teenagers on the street, it just wastes a whole lot of police time and effort.

Scrapping it freed up resources for dealing with those through violence reduction units and better domestic response, is one view.

Of course the press and reactionaries have terminal hollywood brain and think most murders are done my masked killers leaping out of bushes and street gangs high on drill raps.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I don't think there is a causal link, it's just that violent crime in general has gone down a lot since the late 20th century across the anglosphere, despite the best efforts of the cops.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

thinking of Lyn off Alan Partridge who bought a coat advertised under the words "STRONG COAT FOR SALE"

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

A lot of cop activity is basically really lovely performance art while historical trends happen around them, then them claiming "we helped"

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Does the graph imply any sort of link? It looked to me like the murder rate was already going down and it just continued as it was, more or less.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Oh wow... I wasn't expecting this:

https://twitter.com/brokenbottleboy/status/1703740926886129689

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

A lot of cop activity is basically really lovely performance art while historical trends happen around them, then them claiming "we helped"
Finally getting police to stop treating domestic violence as 'a private matter' and sometimes doing their job there has definitely helped, as have violence reduction units run by groups other than police.

There's some evidence that patrols of public places might help. Largely useless on an individual level, but on a stochastic level just wandering around with a flashlight is a better deterrent than "this area monitored by a potato that someone may or may not be watching."

Stop and search is definitely lovely performance art to put certain groups in their place.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Guavanaut posted:

"this area monitored by a potato that someone may or may not be watching."

Marge Simpson: "I just think they're NEETs"

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
I was thinking - that new anthology of poetry edited by Corbyn and McCluskey has a contribution from R brand wonder if they're busy recalling it!

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive

Bobstar posted:

Marge Simpson: "I just think they're NEETs"

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I find it difficult to believe russel brand could contribute poetry worth reading let alone the other issue.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I was thinking - that new anthology of poetry edited by Corbyn and McCluskey has a contribution from R brand wonder if they're busy recalling it!

lmao jesus why?

Jeremy Corbyn for the love of all that's holy please do the most basic of background checks on the people you platform.

keep punching joe fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Sep 18, 2023

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Miftan posted:

Speaking completely out of my rear end, but I assume that when cops stop doing dumb bullshit that doesn't help, it frees up some of their time to do a small amount of things that actually might help, sometimes.
Another view, although that's very hard to prove, is that when cops are doing dumb bullshit that increases distrust in the police in some communities, it means that people are less likely to report domestic violence or a fight, because they don't want the Klan clomping all around their house in huge boots, and view they probably aren't going to do anything positive anyway.

Repeat that enough times and it'll statistically end in more murders.

I think the fall there is too quick for it to be that one, so it's more likely to be some combination of wider social factors and that the same people who wanted to end stop and search also wanted novel public health solutions to violence, so when they got enough sway to end the stops they got other things done too, like the credible messenger program that also started at the same time.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

A couple of weeks ago they announced unspecific delays, so could be!

I got a free electronic copy of Alex Nunns' "The Candidate" to make up for it which was quite a good read, other than making me pissed off all over again about what we could have won.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Apraxin posted:

https://twitter.com/trussliz/status/1703783632672903341

- the OBR
- economists, in general
- the tabloid press
- the conservative party

Tories have the world’s shortest memories I swear to god

we know what happens if we try Truss’s plan because we already tried it and everything went to poo poo, but now a year later they’re all queueing up to call for tax cuts and less regulation

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Julio Cruz posted:

Tories have the world’s shortest memories I swear to god

we know what happens if we try Truss’s plan because we already tried it and everything went to poo poo, but now a year later they’re all queueing up to call for tax cuts and less regulation

Yeah, but Labour probably won't cut taxes if they win the next election, so the window in which to make the rich happy is getting smaller and smaller.
It's not about fixing the country (well, Truss probably thinks it is because she's remarkably stupid), it's about setting up a free-for-all looting spree that no-one will go to prison for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
she actually used a pig analogy to explain herself :/

a graphic, horrific pig slaughtering analogy https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-66836347