Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
The kickstand legs are obviously made of separate pieces with concrete in them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Looks like it’s time for some drilling, a metal dowel, and generous epoxying.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Nocheez posted:

I broke the kickstand on my L885 cargo bike :(

It broke right at a manufacturing seam, and at home while I was moving it around thankfully. I guess it doesn't matter as I'm having back surgery on Monday and won't be riding for a little while, but I'm still annoyed.
LOL I think it's the same brand as the piece of dogshit that came on Gen1 Tern GSDs and they're all ticking time bombs.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Sep 18, 2023

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I broke a aftermarket center stand almost in the in spot. It was just something dragged the throttle when the bike was parked, and the bike shoot off by itself and broke the stand. You wouldn't think a 36v motor had that much starting torque at zero. Grandly it was the cheapest center stand I brought on Amazon.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

kimbo305 posted:

Looks like it’s time for some drilling, a metal dowel, and generous epoxying.

I'm not able to ride for a while until I recover, so I'll wait for kickstand V2 to arrive.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy

Appoda posted:

My verdict after trying one out is that I should probably run around on a normal bicycle for a bit before forking out a chunk of change. :v: Got more confident as I rode, but it's been years since I've regularly ridden a bike and I wasn't entirely full of certainty on how to position myself. My rear end went into diamond-crushing mode when other riders went wide, or I had to pass some jackass on a unicycle on a narrow trail bridge. :argh:

Yeah, that will come with time. Fwiw, your bike is generally only going to be as wide as your shoulders. Make sure that you’re focusing on where you want to go (eyes up!), and not the thing you don’t want to hit. Because looking at what you don’t want to hit is step one of hitting the thing you don’t want to hit.

quote:

I think part of it is that the bike was shortshaming me; I could only "stand" if I was pushing myself up to my tiptoes, and to get a leg over I had to kinda lean to one side and saddle up from an angle.

I’ve got short for my height legs and yeah, that kind of sucks at first. Step throughs, cruisers and MTBs with dropper seat posts are all a lot easier on short legged folk than the standard bike with a horizontal top tube. Either way it won’t take you long to get used to sliding off the saddle when you come to a stop.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I pad my top tube with neoprene so when I am in front of the redlight, I can sit on the top tube.

Or I just stop next to the sidewalk so my right leg can rest on the sidewalk curb.

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep
is there a thread for building ebikes and not just general pre-built ebike discussion?

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

hark posted:

is there a thread for building ebikes and not just general pre-built ebike discussion?

I think you should talk about them here. I like to read about them.

One day, I want to add a fwd kit to my 14" clown bike.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

hark posted:

I built up our two commuter bikes with front hub all-axle setups from Grin and they have been great. I tow all sorts of dumb stuff around with mine and it never skips a beat. What are you thinking of going with?

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep

Man_of_Teflon posted:

I built up our two commuter bikes with front hub all-axle setups from Grin and they have been great. I tow all sorts of dumb stuff around with mine and it never skips a beat. What are you thinking of going with?

im in the process of doing an Enduro/stealth bomber clone right now. got a 1500w rear hub motor and I'm building a 60v battery. have the frame mostly built out with a suspension fork. just need to find time to do the battery/bms/wiring/etc stuff for the internals and then I should be good to go hopefully.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
I put together my first ebike with a 90s steel mountain bike, a noname 48v rear wheel kit, a wald dual basket rear rack, a plastic toolbox zip tied to the top of the rack, and 4 lawnmower size lead acid batteries in the box with the controller and fuses/etc

:science:

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Nocheez posted:

I'm not able to ride for a while until I recover, so I'll wait for kickstand V2 to arrive.

Did they give you a warranty replacement?

hark posted:

im in the process of doing an Enduro/stealth bomber clone right now. got a 1500w rear hub motor and I'm building a 60v battery. have the frame mostly built out with a suspension fork. just need to find time to do the battery/bms/wiring/etc stuff for the internals and then I should be good to go hopefully.

Is the Super73 not robust enough for hopping over curbs?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

stephenthinkpad posted:

I broke a aftermarket center stand almost in the in spot. It was just something dragged the throttle when the bike was parked, and the bike shoot off by itself and broke the stand. You wouldn't think a 36v motor had that much starting torque at zero. Grandly it was the cheapest center stand I brought on Amazon.
e-motors make almost max torque at 1rpm and they'll gently caress you up.

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep

kimbo305 posted:

Is the Super73 not robust enough for hopping over curbs?

it is! and it's fun as hell. that was just my first ebike and now I have the desire for more power and speed. gonna give the s73 to my girlfriend.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Why do you need so much travel? Which fork are you going with?

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep

kimbo305 posted:

Why do you need so much travel? Which fork are you going with?

it's like 180mm travel...why not? the stock s73 fork made riding over potholes and uneven ground brutal and shaky.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

kimbo305 posted:

Yes, it was still under warranty.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

hark posted:

it's like 180mm travel...why not?
Cost? You can have the advertised travel and still not have the effective suspension you want.

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep

kimbo305 posted:

Cost? You can have the advertised travel and still not have the effective suspension you want.

I bought the fork a while ago but I think it was like $250ish? something like that. it's an adjustable air fork. triple tree or double shoulder or whatever the terminology is.

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

hark posted:

I bought the fork a while ago but I think it was like $250ish? something like that. it's an adjustable air fork. triple tree or double shoulder or whatever the terminology is.

are these overkill with a normal frame? I guess to put it another way - do you need a super beefy head tube to go with this?

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep

Man_of_Teflon posted:

are these overkill with a normal frame? I guess to put it another way - do you need a super beefy head tube to go with this?

it's just a 1 1/8 suspension fork that happens to extend up on both of the prongs of the fork and connect to the top at 3 places instead of one. it's pretty light for what it is, and it fits the aesthetic of the frame better than a regular fork, imo.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
What’s the take between like an Aventon Level 2 and Ride1Up 700 (or some similar 3rd option)?

PRADA SLUT fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Sep 21, 2023

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

PRADA SLUT posted:

What’s the take between like an Aventon Level 2 and Ride1Up 700 (or some similar 3rd option)?

I crossed shop this 2, Level 2 and Ride1up Limited and ended up getting a fat tire bike with a promotion (Magicycle Cruiser Pro)

The Limited last year had a promotion of giving out a 2nd battery for free, I missed it by a day. I emailed them and asked for it, but they didn't me anything.

In retrospect its battery is too small for a my 25 mile round trip at top speed mode for a 14-15AH battery. The 700 is basically a slower Limited with a smaller, less noisy motor. My current bike's 20AH battery is about enough in the winter.

The Level 2 has local dealership, and probably better looking frame, so I would pick it over the ride1up. I also don't like that all the ride1up models don't share standard batteries, I think all of their models have different batteries.

Outside of that, they are very similar commuter bikes. If you want a 2.x inch tire commuter bike, there isn't much option out there. There is also one from Juiced but I heard mediocre feedback of their customer service.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Hm.. would it be better to upgrade to a gazelle or something? They seem to have better components.

I’m commuting 25 miles round trip, but I could recharge halfway if I really need it.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
I got my kickstand today and it's a completely different design. I wonder how many of those pieces of poo poo failed before they redesigned it.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Nocheez posted:

I got my kickstand today and it's a completely different design. I wonder how many of those pieces of poo poo failed before they redesigned it.
nice! how’s the new one?

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
It looks much more solid. It's one piece, and made of a thicker material.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
I missed the zeros :(

Huggybear
Jun 17, 2005

I got the jimjams

PRADA SLUT posted:

Hm.. would it be better to upgrade to a gazelle or something? They seem to have better components.

I’m commuting 25 miles round trip, but I could recharge halfway if I really need it.

Aventon has a two year warranty which is rare in the industry and a big plus - ebikes have way more warranty issues than regular bikes with the motors and electrical added in. It is probably better priced, as Aventon is the North American factory direct brand of the Chinese factory that manufactures a ton of the ecomm ebike brands.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
Friends, I have found it. The worst electric bicycle ever made: https://emmo.ca/collections/electric-motorcycle-style-ebike

They all seem to be 500W hub motors regardless of the battery option. It looks like they ship with a single speed 1-1 ish gear ratio? Speaking of battery options, they sell lead-acid models, and that even seems to be the volume seller!

They even come with a fake exhaust that makes motor noises!

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
You probably can't get an e-moto fast enough to get on highway under $5k.

Nothing wrong with this niche IMO, as long as your country allow this kind of scooters. I can't even find the top speed on that page, probably nothing to write home about.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

stephenthinkpad posted:

You probably can't get an e-moto fast enough to get on highway under $5k.

Nothing wrong with this niche IMO, as long as your country allow this kind of scooters. I can't even find the top speed on that page, probably nothing to write home about.

All these emmos look like law-abiding class 2 electric bicycles, with a top speed of 32kph and good to go on MUPs and bike paths and such. This just seems insane to me. There's a ton of better designs for going those speeds already.

I'll try to keep e-moto chat out of the e-bike thread but Kawasaki just introduced their first electric motorcycles at around $7,500, dramatically cheaper than a Zero or certainly a Livewire, and completely road legal unlike a Surron.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I don't think you can ride them on US bike path? You need bike pedals install (like the Surron). Seeing this website is in CA, maybe its legal over there.

We have a few of these in NY cause cops only enforce the law once in a blue moon.

Yeah highway legal e-motorcycle belongs to the motorcycle thread not here.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Twerk from Home posted:

All these emmos look like law-abiding class 2 electric bicycles, with a top speed of 32kph and good to go on MUPs and bike paths and such.

Doesn't look like they have pedals, which may impact bike path legality depending on local laws. I'm pretty sure that out here (Washington state) they'd need to be registered like a moped and restricted/taxed accordingly. If they can do more than 30mph, they're considered motorcycles out here.

sigseven
May 8, 2003

That was heavy.
lol, the Knight Turbo is especially blatant in being a Grom clone chassis with a hub motor slapped on. The chain seems to be purely decorative until you look at the other photo angles where they have the comically non-functional compliance pedals attached.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Helter Skelter posted:

Doesn't look like they have pedals, which may impact bike path legality depending on local laws. I'm pretty sure that out here (Washington state) they'd need to be registered like a moped and restricted/taxed accordingly. If they can do more than 30mph, they're considered motorcycles out here.

Most of the promo photos have the pedals removed, but as I looked for some reviews of them I learned that they all have pedals attached at the time of sale, but if the owner chooses to remove the pedals from their bicycle that's their own choice. I'd guess that a bicycle with the pedals removed probably isn't legal to ride on a bike path, but I'm not sure.

32kph is a bit slower than 20mph, so I'm assuming they'd be fine in the US, although I honestly hope never to see one.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
No way their top speed are 32 kmph, are you sure? I can't find the stat on their page. Some of the models are 72v. I would think around 35-40 mph.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

stephenthinkpad posted:

No way their top speed are 32 kmph, are you sure? I can't find the stat on their page. Some of the models are 72v. I would think around 35-40 mph.

Their FAQ and all reviews say in plain language that everything they sell is limited to 32kph across the board, under "e-bike laws": https://emmo.ca/pages/faq

It's just powerfully dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

The real question isn't what speed they're limited to out of the box, it's whether they make the limit trivial to disable