Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How do you feel about the letter C?
Despise it.
Loathe it.
Hate it.
Ed Boon's parents were killed by the letter C section of a library and I personally, will not stand for this.
View Results

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

TulliusCicero posted:

Although I guess without evil Shang this Shang and Quan would have no idea who they are in other timelines :shrug:

It would be interesting to learn how evil Shang figured it out when none of the other titans or even Kronika managed to put it together. He's seemingly the only one; the knowledge spreads from him to Liu Kang and Liu Kang takes it to the other good guy titans while Shang takes it to the other bag guy titans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

PostNouveau posted:

It would be interesting to learn how evil Shang figured it out when none of the other titans or even Kronika managed to put it together. He's seemingly the only one; the knowledge spreads from him to Liu Kang and Liu Kang takes it to the other good guy titans while Shang takes it to the other bag guy titans.

My take on that is BOTH Aftermath endings are canon from MK 11. that Shang won in another timeline completely, elevated his buddy Quan, and sought the complete domination of the multiverse when he got bored with just our universe

That's why I said Tagawa would be so fitting

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Sep 18, 2023

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

TulliusCicero posted:

My take on that is BOTH Aftermath endings are canon from MK 11. that Shang won in another timeline completely, elevated his buddy Quan, and sought the complete domination of the multiverse when he got bored with just our universe

Yeah, I think that's true. But still how did he figure out there is a multiverse at all when no one else seems to know it?

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

PostNouveau posted:

Yeah, I think that's true. But still how did he figure out there is a multiverse at all when no one else seems to know it?

Probably extremely bored and done conquering his own universe so he starts looking at the hour glass to determine what else he can do and finds out about Liu Kang's. Same way Geras and crew learn of the others. Assuming none of the other timelines found out because they were busy time keeping their own timeline.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Jerkface posted:

Probably extremely bored and done conquering his own universe so he starts looking at the hour glass to determine what else he can do and finds out about Liu Kang's. Same way Geras and crew learn of the others. Assuming none of the other timelines found out because they were busy time keeping their own timeline.

It's this

He's a bored God and he craves conquest and power. He ran out of stuff to do so he starts looking for new places to be a dick in.

He's always portrayed as the smartest MK villain, so he probably figure it out through experimentation and having all of eternity to experiment

Liu Kang just wants a better world, he wouldn't care about experimenting with the Hourglass. Kronika just wanted her cycle and order. Shang just wants more things to conquer and dominate, so he has motive to find more.

Also he just hates his Liu Kang THAT much lol

I hadn't considered Liu Kang allowing free will and remaking the souls of the same people, that actually makes a lot more sense

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Sep 18, 2023

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

TulliusCicero posted:

Yeah, that's absolutely what happened. Having it turn out that Aftermath's last-minute "hey, pick an ending" thing was actually signalling two canonical endings was extremely clever, if they planned it that way.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Games: Mortal Kombat: Everybody’s Shang Tsung Tonight

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you
because there are infinite timelines at play here I choose to believe there was also a very small but still possible chance that instead of Liu Kang and Geras figuring it out, Kobra, demi-god of Strip Mall Karate and Chevy Camaros, could've just blinked into the New Era Timeline from the Jobber and Loser Timeline to ask Liu Kang for help with Time Lord Hsu Hao the Conqueror

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?
If all the tower endings get counted as "canonical" i find it capital B Bullshit that my beloved hive queen D'Vorah can't at least be a kameo fighter. and on top of that combining dvorah with other fighters at the endgame could have been comical

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Admiral Bosch posted:

If all the tower endings get counted as "canonical" i find it capital B Bullshit that my beloved hive queen D'Vorah can't at least me a kameo fighter.

I have this wierd thought to that: it might be possible that this game is building up to an Armageddon level roster through periodic story dlc, and others might get in over time That's if the game does well, and MK games seem to always do pretty well, and this one's gameplay seems fantastic so far.

I think a lot of fighting game devs saw the model of SFV and dlc and took that as a good way to go

Hive Kween might still get in at some point

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Timeline stuff: "Our" Shang Tsung first hypothesizes that there are more timelines and germinates the idea to search the multiverse for allies to fight Evil Titan Shang Tsung, so it stands to reason that ETST figured it out for himself at some point as well. He just didn't bother looking for more timelines beyond the one he already had to mess with. Also, they said that Liu and Shang's fight at the Hourglass created the multiverse so before that there wasn't anything for Kronika or the other Titans to discover anyway, she was just resetting the one universal timeline over and over again.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
ITT: goons airing their c(k)razy theories about how MK1's storyline works, which happen to match up almost one for one with plot points that are explicitly stated during story mode dialogue

polish sausage
Oct 26, 2010
Matches with pre fight dialogue with liu kang too.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

PostNouveau posted:

I always attempt to pick up a character in all of these before eventually getting frustrated at always dropping combos and bailing. Li Mei is definitely top of my list to fail at learning. Johnny Cage is up there too.

I never really learned combo timing in the others, so I'll just start from scratch here. What it looks like to me is you dial up a string, likely ending in some kind of move cancel or kameo, pause for it to land, dial up the next section, pause, etc.?

If you're brand new then I'd just look up a character guide, start slow and drill it in practice mode until you get every part of the combo down. It can take many hours of building muscle memory before it will feel intuitive, and many more before you can actually successfully land them in an online match, but keep trying! Combo routes in MK1 are generally a lot more freeform than MK11 and while you can squeeze out a few extra points of damage with good execution, it's relatively easy to get at least 30% from nearly anything.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
If you have the time then I recommend watching these two excellent videos that go over the entire roster, introduce every character, their general gameplan, some combos and stuff:

characters

kameos

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!

Mr. Neutron posted:

If you have the time then I recommend watching these two excellent videos that go over the entire roster, introduce every character, their general gameplan, some combos and stuff:

characters

kameos

This came up on my feed earlier today and I sat through most of this and what I got out of it was:

Kharacters I am hype to play (General Shao, Reptile, Baraka, Havik) look excellent.

Kharacters I was on the fence about (Ashrah, Nitara, Kenshi) remain on the fence because of weird mechanics I their kit I don't like.

I showed it to a friend who was stoked to play as Li Mei but by the end he had somehow been converted to a Reiko player? I think he was hype for a pure hand-to-hand martial arts gal (his SF main is Cammy so go figure) and the lantern shenanigans had put him off. Basically if you gender-swap Johnny Cage (Jenny Cage?) he'd be set.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

DeadButDelicious posted:

Basically if you gender-swap Johnny Cage (Jenny Cage?) he'd be set.

They had a kharakter that was somewhat like that oddly enough. Her name was Cassie Cage and oh whoops she and the other Kombat Kids got jabroni'd lmao

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

widespread posted:

They had a kharakter that was somewhat like that oddly enough. Her name was Cassie Cage and oh whoops she and the other Kombat Kids got jabroni'd lmao

Cassie is not pure martial arts, she has guns and tech

Maybe this universe Cassie is?

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Mr. Neutron posted:

characters

kameos

*me watching these videos and seeing interesting information about the various kharacters then going into the game and mashing my buttons and doing my stupid special moves without regard for combo advantage*

Very nice videos tho (Im always very impressed with ppl who understand all the fighting game mechanic poo poo and can make use of it)

Jerkface fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Sep 18, 2023

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?
The best one was obviously Kanonya, I wanted to see her moveset so bad lol

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Admiral Bosch posted:

loving :same:

Like holy poo poo just make that canon that she's the Leader of the Black Dragon in this timeline, would loving own

Johnny Postnemonic
Apr 27, 2023

I want to get online...
I need to post!
speaking of johnny cage, in the last fights in story mode you can fight Janet Cage, seems rare tho. just straight up new model by the looks of it.

also johnny cage during that bit on the stairs where kitana takes out the kombat kids is loving hilarious when cassies head rolls at his feet and hes like "yeah! now thats what im talking about!"

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!

widespread posted:

Ding ding ding we have a winner! Thanks for playing Guess The Main.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Mr. Neutron posted:

characters

kameos

I will definitely take a look. Thanks!

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Mr. Maggy posted:

put in police story jackie chan

Put in Agent Lee from Rush Hour as a fighter and Carter as his Kameo.

Johnny Postnemonic
Apr 27, 2023

I want to get online...
I need to post!
theres a been a datamine update to one of the characters in the story dlc if you're into that kinda thing. new evidence about the unknown female that attacks the wedding... its cyrax and she is female in this timelime! was pieced together cos theres a intro file with johnny flirting with cyrax in her intro collection, and suddenly all the pieces fell into place in the story dlc lol

thank you liu kang.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Admiral Bosch posted:

I feel bad but I RL LOL'd at Klockodile.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Invasion mode pet peeve: You only have room for 5 consumables and no inventory to stash stuff in, and things like KEYS for locked chests take 1 space each???? Very dumb. Also you only have limited room for talisman and you have to run around the entire map to find kollector to sell the junk or discard them for no benefit.

Invasion mode pro tip: If you use a consumable on a tower you get the benefit for every fight.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Johnny Postnemonic posted:

theres a been a datamine update to one of the characters in the story dlc if you're into that kinda thing. new evidence about the unknown female that attacks the wedding... its cyrax and she is female in this timelime! was pieced together cos theres a intro file with johnny flirting with cyrax in her intro collection, and suddenly all the pieces fell into place in the story dlc lol

thank you liu kang.

Okay that's actually neat

Lol wait is Jade a dude in this timeline?

This is the wierd poo poo I wanted in the new era. So is Cyrax a cyber lady, or a normal person though ?

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Liu Kang, you met Cyrax before! Before they were a robot even!

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Rhonne posted:

Liu Kang, you met Cyrax before! Before they were a robot even!

Liu Kang: Hmm I remember the first tournament... there was Scorpion...dreadlock Scorpion... Blue Scorpion...

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Liu Kang got a TBI before becoming a God

Explains all of this really

Johnny Postnemonic
Apr 27, 2023

I want to get online...
I need to post!

TulliusCicero posted:

This is the wierd poo poo I wanted in the new era. So is Cyrax a cyber lady, or a normal person though ?

no idea on jade, seems like she might be a more sneaky from the intro files but still a she. cyrax and the cyber stuff, they are cyber but its not like past cyber initiative, they wear iron man like armour they can step in and out of rather than actual cyborgs. you can see them making the suits in sub-zero's ending

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

TulliusCicero posted:

TulliusCicero posted:

pretty sure some fight intros refer to her as Countess Jade so probably not

Also the amount of death threats from obsessive jade fans would probably quadruple if they did that

If we do get Cyrax, regardless of gender I hope they're human or at least more of an android than a straight up Johnny Five, the little bit we saw of him as a human in MK9 I thought he was way cooler

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

no idea on jade, seems like she might be a more sneaky from the intro files but still a she. cyrax and the cyber stuff, they are cyber but its not like past cyber initiative, they wear iron man like armour they can step in and out of rather than actual cyborgs. you can see them making the suits in sub-zero's ending

You mean someone actually stopped Sektor's pathological need to put brains in robots ?

Wow

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

How does iron man suits solve Sub Zero's problem of needing a larger army??!?! (end game spoiler)

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Jerkface posted:

How does iron man suits solve Sub Zero's problem of needing a larger army??!?! (end game spoiler)

Maybe the suits are for the living members, and then he just built a bunch of mindless drones to fill out the rest of the army?

So is Sektor not going to be playable, too? It's a little weird to get one and not the other.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
So Jade is now Jake?

Johnny Postnemonic
Apr 27, 2023

I want to get online...
I need to post!

Rhonne posted:

Maybe the suits are for the living members, and then he just built a bunch of mindless drones to fill out the rest of the army?

So is Sektor not going to be playable, too? It's a little weird to get one and not the other.

looks like its just cyrax playable at the moment. sektor just seems like a story mode thing, could change, datamine stuff all over the place and in bits and incomplete.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Is Frost anywhere in this DLC? I'm curious what she'll be like in this timeline. It would be nice if she was actually a good guy this time around. We need a heroic ice user around, and it sure ain't going to be Bi-Han.