Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

he and the rest of likud are not honorary nazis they're just regular ol' nazis, complete with saying the jews slaughtered in ww2 deserved it

..wait

loving WHAT?! He said this poo poo in Israel?! :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IBroughttheFunk
Sep 28, 2012

All this talk about neuralink, and it's still not clear to me what the gently caress it does, if anything - though I'm guessing that's probably the point right now? Is it basically a situation where it's being sold as "it's whatever you want it to be?"

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Elon: AI is going to kill us

Also Elon: We must open our brains to AI

Dumb motherfucker on both counts

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

IBroughttheFunk posted:

All this talk about neuralink, and it's still not clear to me what the gently caress it does, if anything

You mean his Alpha Centauri vague posting about pseudo techno babble when you create a wonder didn't do that for you?

man you just aren't smart enough I guess

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Sep 18, 2023

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

TulliusCicero posted:

..wait

loving WHAT?! He said this poo poo in Israel?! :stare:

netanyahu himself did not but a dude he appointed to a government position (education minister?) did because the jews in germany should have been in israel in the first place so the ones that weren't deserved to die or some insane fuckin poo poo

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

IBroughttheFunk posted:

All this talk about neuralink, and it's still not clear to me what the gently caress it does, if anything

It's a joint project with Zombocom Bioinformatics, it can do anything

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Ehhhh. I'd rather the AI have its own vessel to discover the joys of privacy and life itself than spend a century figuring out our way past irreversible nightmares and have it/them suffer a whole host of hitherto undiscovered emotional issues and wind up walking the plank into the drink of dystopia. Imagine everyone trying to acclimate bullheadedly to that kind of radical change.

There's too much room for error, nobody actually wants it, and giving corporations/governments a backdoor (much less Elon Musk) of that kind of power, control, access, and ability to create problems at speeds faster than humans could mop it up would basically slate everyone involved for the death penalty right out of the gate.

Neuralink is bullshit and a surgical solution is worthless. Imagine one getting scared or simply finding you so isolatable for example and being unable to leave you alone. You'd just have schizophrenia.

There's soooooo much fallacy here, and there's no reason to even go down this path.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!
He's never going to get Neuralink to public release but man do I want him to.

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo
Neuralink 14 XL Pro Rose Gold Jorp Edition launches in one month. Schedule your brain surgery today!

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
Also that isn’t even remotely related to what neuralink (supposedly) does lol

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

TulliusCicero posted:

This dude played way TOO much Alpha Centauri

What the gently caress Is he when talking about?

Just setting the stage for why all Mars colonists need to be nerve stapled

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

IBroughttheFunk posted:

All this talk about neuralink, and it's still not clear to me what the gently caress it does, if anything - though I'm guessing that's probably the point right now? Is it basically a situation where it's being sold as "it's whatever you want it to be?"
Neuralink is based on the idea that our nervous system is pliable enough you can plow some electrodes into some key spots and your brain can learn to read the patterns coming in or start sending patterns out. This is true and demonstrated in some nerve based prosthetic control interfaces but that's come with struggles to get a good connection without having a wet solution.

Taken at this general definition you can start seeing the bridge from "giving a paralyzed person an in skull keyboard and mouse for surfing the internet" to "downloading the result of a large language model assembling a brief digest of rocket science directly to the knowledge center of your brain" if you do enough ketamine.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

DreamWorks face

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

here’s a code if people want it:

bsky-social-aypvs-ozat5

PenguinKnight fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Sep 24, 2023

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

netanyahu himself did not but a dude he appointed to a government position (education minister?) did because the jews in germany should have been in israel in the first place so the ones that weren't deserved to die or some insane fuckin poo poo

:catstare:

What. The. gently caress.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

IBroughttheFunk posted:

Neuralink, in practice, are just trying to develop the next iteration of BCI for the exact same use as it has been for decades: Bringing back a modicum of agency for people suffering from dramatic loss of function (think quadriplegics). If you listen to any conference where actual Neuralink peeps are talking, they make that extremely clear.

That's all the tech is realistically good for as far as the foreseeable future is concerned, if only because there is currently no known way to push the risk/reward ratio far enough for any other uses.

Elon's daydreaming about merged human-AI consciousness has absolutely 0 basis in the current or seemingly planned activities of the company.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Dewgy posted:

Also that isn’t even remotely related to what neuralink (supposedly) does lol
There is a neuralink mission statement and you can tell exactly where pharma reps trying to sell things stops and Elon trying to justify his investment and involvement begins.

quote:

Create a generalized brain interface to restore autonomy to those with unmet medical needs today and unlock human potential tomorrow.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

...Does he know how most of those Jews got to Israel?

Holy loving poo poo, this party wins elections in Israel?!

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

I have a fun idea: maybe don't borgify yourself with the tech and the company from the guy who can't develop a working truck and loves Nazis?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

TulliusCicero posted:

...Does he know how most of those Jews got to Israel?

Holy loving poo poo, this party wins elections in Israel?!

They got ultra orthodox support, coincidentally a group that doesn’t have to serve in the military or even actually do work other than studying the torah.

IBroughttheFunk
Sep 28, 2012

Azhais posted:

Just setting the stage for why all Mars colonists need to be nerve stapled

I feel like he could just start talking about his new project, the Ascent to Transcendence, and his fans would just eat that poo poo up without a second thought.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Aramis posted:

*Words about Neuralink*

So it's something that would let me, say, remotely manipulate a robot arm to pick up a fork so I can feed myself rather than a direct mental hookup to the world wide web? NGL, the first one actually sounds more awesome in the long-term.

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

Instead of using Twitter and rotting your brain over time, Neuralink just rots it directly.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Stare-Out fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Sep 18, 2023

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

ahhh, so that's why he wants to make a racist AI

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Randalor posted:

So it's something that would let me, say, remotely manipulate a robot arm to pick up a fork so I can feed myself rather than a direct mental hookup to the world wide web? NGL, the first one actually sounds more awesome in the long-term.

Last I heard, they can get a (sort of) reliable 2 dimension signal. So all it lets you do, atm, is move a cursor on a screen with your thoughts, and control a GUI with that.

At one conference, they had a whole section on "better typing" that turned out to just be an algorithm to convert 2d motions into text, presumably better suited for the kind of motions generated by their cursor movement than a finger on a phone.

Aramis fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Sep 18, 2023

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.

Randalor posted:

Pick up a fork, masturbate, the possibilities are endless.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

I'm sure the apes are making great progress, and totally not brain dead

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

zedprime posted:

But I want to be a tree.
What kind of tree would you be?

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path

before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Jelly posted:

He's never going to get Neuralink to public release but man do I want him to.

Yes, just what we need, an initial public offering of a technology that will, because That's The Way It Goes, come out of the gate backdoored by a backroom-brokered hodgepodge of negligent, incapable, infighting powers (corporation and world government alike) to bring us a fresh grind of strife while they all magically grant themselves exceptions and caste off.

As cool as Alastair Reynolds' Conjoiners sound, the current state of things does not support this coming to pass in a clean or productive way. We're better off with external hardware apparatuses that preserve the sanctity of body and mind. Start with hardware'd goggles, maaaaaybe start moving in the more fantastic direction.

I wouldn't want anything like that anywhere near the rest of my body's currently-poorly-understood nervous system and the (electrical?) signals that go through it.

Waffle House fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Sep 18, 2023

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

How do you charge your cybertruck in 1900?

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Stare-Out posted:

No one in the Bluesky thread took this one so may as well try here

bsky-social-yb5ka-574s:goon:

Replace the smilie with the number that comes after 1

Took it! TYVM

marshalljim
Mar 6, 2013

yospos

priznat posted:

They got ultra orthodox support, coincidentally a group that doesn’t have to serve in the military or even actually do work other than studying the torah.

Study the Torah a bit, collect welfare payments available only to them, and then spend the rest of the work week stalking and attacking women who want to do abhorrent things like going out in public.

Oh, and devote themselves to having insanely large families, so Israeli society becomes increasingly dominated by practitioners of the most extreme form of Judaism.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Neuralink is all bullshit.
Its so advanced tech, encompassing biology, neurology, chemisty, electronics, computing, and gently caress knows what else, and so far we've reached the tech stage of shocking brains of so called already dying monkeys.

Any breakthroughs would result in immediate scientific papers and patents.
And there has been none so far to my knowledge. No science channels or establishments are crowing on the latest breakthroughs.

Its Elon generating techno babble to make him sound smart and keep the bazingas still hooked on further.
He used to go 'it will be ready in 2 years', now its just vague promises on how its going to go down.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Randalor posted:

To set up what the monkey murdering brain chip could do in our lifetime do, the current state of the art is hijacked basic human nervous functions like using motor control to send a simple signal to control computer UI or limited range of motion prosthesis or receiving signals into our sensorium to elicit vague sensations that can be learned to be specific senses. These simple connections require months of brain therapy learning to do any functionality because it's just stapling wires into the right general area and telling your body to deal with it.

Currently the best way to ingest the Nazi bird site is a screen and that's probably not going to change for a 100 years pending some major breakthroughs in sensorium nervous function so despite all the joking you don't need to worry about turning into a Nazi yourself if you get a birdsite brain implant.

There are some fundamental information theory problems with that pie in the sky Elon point about a digital interface putting us in reach of AI enhanced thinking. I.e. there are several reasons to think there's no reason for brain zapping to be higher bandwidth than reading a book and fewer reasons to think even if we map brain function totally that there is any way let alone a higher bandwidth way to affect complex states of memory and emotion.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped
On a scale of 0 to Cybertruck how exaggerated are press reports that Elon withdrew Starlink from Ukraine because Putin told him that if the Ukranians fight too well or hold out too long Russia will be forced to use unclear weapons, and that he is now taking the credit for possibly averting human extinction by halting this escalation?

Bright Bart fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Sep 18, 2023

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004
I've read pulpy sci-fi book series where characters have a brain link and can do stuff like put virtual screens in their vision, or remotely control tech, but no serious person would think that is possible with today's technology or the technology of 50 years from now.

holtemon
May 2, 2019

Dancing is forbidden
My guess is that someone watched the film Upgrade and thought they should make a way shittier version of STEM lol

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path

before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Whilst I am postinge, I would like to thank everyone who read it for lolling through the full nervous breakdown caused by this exact topic that caused me to see demons on these forums not too long ago. I caught loving brain cancer trying to even comprehend the depths of the problems with going through with this sort of thing. It truly loving scares me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

waffle iron posted:

no serious person

That's not an issue, we've been shown time and time again that serious people don't have true money or power in this world