Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

what the heck is there not to get hyped about leftovers? it's food you already like and enjoy, but more of it, and you don't even have to do all the annoying cooking parts (because past-you did them already)!

leftovers are a gift

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

someone awful. posted:

what the heck is there not to get hyped about leftovers? it's food you already like and enjoy, but more of it, and you don't even have to do all the annoying cooking parts (because past-you did them already)!

leftovers are a gift

and leftover lasagna is the perfect loving food

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

LvK posted:

and leftover lasagna is the perfect loving food

Any sort of pasta improves after 24 hours in the fridge (except maybe stuff that doesn't work unless it's done al dente because reheating it might gently caress the texture up). It's one of those fundamental laws of the universe.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
1981 comics

Dick Tracy

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Computoon: Origins

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Kazinsal posted:

Any sort of pasta improves after 24 hours in the fridge (except maybe stuff that doesn't work unless it's done al dente because reheating it might gently caress the texture up). It's one of those fundamental laws of the universe.

Unless you're my mother who ruins pasta by boiling the gently caress out of it until turns into mush. But she insists she doesn't need to use a timer, she knows when it's done!

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From The Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side Of The Horse

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Unless you're my mother who ruins pasta by boiling the gently caress out of it until turns into mush. But she insists she doesn't need to use a timer, she knows when it's done!

I feel like that's an artifact of the era where people genuinely believed you needed foods like pork to spend five minutes at boiling temperature in order to make sure you didn't get hyper-salmonella.

I remember my dad cooking instant noodles -- which says three minutes on the package -- for ten for that kind of reason.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Kazinsal posted:

See also stews, casseroles, bakes... most things improve with at least a 24 hour chilled infusion time.

Maybe not things with cooked citrus, tho.

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.
Krazy Kat(December 9, 1917)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7awW8vhBHw

Little Nemo(May 5, 1907)Spoilered for holy gently caress!

This goes on until March 1908!

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I get that Hagar's grasp on history is loose at best, but dude you've got 90% of the wedding guests dressed in tuxedos, the band is playing a saxophone, there's balloons everywhere.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Apr. 26, 1959)

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Hippocrass posted:

Little Nemo(May 5, 1907)Spoilered for holy gently caress!

This goes on until March 1908!

Winsor McKay had a prior comic strip called Tales of the Jungle Imps in the Cincinatti Herald, around 1903. They were basically knock-offs of Kipling's Just So Stories where animals get their characteristics. The imps would bully a creature which then turned to Felix Fiddle (a white man with a beard in a top-hat) who would fix it with a patented body-part. It features a very cute long-legged frog standing up like a cow, a hippo with big lips, and a bald eagle with dreds. It ran for a year before McKay got poached by the New York Herald.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

I get that Hagar's grasp on history is loose at best, but dude you've got 90% of the wedding guests dressed in tuxedos, the band is playing a saxophone, there's balloons everywhere.

Hagar's just a fulltime LARPer.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Retail

Popcom

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Earthi

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 9/17/03

Brenda Starr 9/17-19/51

The guys who ran printing presses used to fold themselves square caps out of extra newspaper sheets to keep ink out of their hair. Here's how to make one if you have a newspaper lying around.

Smokey Stover 11/18/56

Everyday Movies 10/13/36

"Now remember, Henry, I'm just taking you in for fit and material -- I'll do all the bargaining."

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 3/16-18/42

Scarlet O'Neil meets Caspar Milquetoast?

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
A+J

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Medenmath posted:

Vintage Valiant (Apr. 26, 1959)

I really appreciate that Val isn't pulling a switcheroo with Kerwin (yet) and is instead opting to just coach the guy. Let Kerwin earn his own glory!

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Pickles

Hagar the Horrible

Zits

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Slylock Fox

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Mutts

Sally Forth

Skippy (September 24, 1935)

Peanuts (September 20, 1976)

Crankshaft

"Go on, sweetie, make sure the reckless driver in the huge death machine can't see you when you step out into the road."

In the tradition of elderly drivers, last week's strips signaled for a turn it didn't take.

Mutt and Jeff

Rip Haywire

And now, let's try something else on for size. Li'l Abner, by creative master and (let's face it) world-class rear end in a top hat Al Capp. These initial strips were only seen in eight North American newspapers. By the end of his 43-year run, there would be many more.

The last time I attempted this, we found out the hard way that GoComics was skipping around madly and not finishing a single story while doing it. This time, I'm going to see how far I can get before we end up fending for ourselves.
(August 13-15, 1934)

Thimble Theater (April 22, 1940)

Out Our Way (November 2-4, 1942)

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

EasyEW posted:

Crankshaft

"Go on, sweetie, make sure the reckless driver in the huge death machine can't see you when you step out into the road."

In the tradition of elderly drivers, last week's strips signaled for a turn it didn't take.

"Here - lets make you invisible and position you next to this mailbox that Crankshaft is cannonically famous for running over. This is a good idea."

Maybe granma is just getting sick of babysitting that kid.

I liked the bear joke.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

EasyEW posted:

Crankshaft

”Officer, I was aiming for the mailbox! How was I supposed to know there was a camouflaged child hiding behind it?”

Efb; but even if he doesn't go for the mailbox, why would Crankshaft even slow down if he doesn't see the kid?

maltesh fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Sep 18, 2023

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Jucika "270 - Jucika And The Fashionable Loudspeaker"

"271 - Jucika Provides A Sedative"

"Idegscillapítót is also = Tranquilizer/Bromide
Szülőszoba = Labor Room
Konyha = Kitchen"

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

EasyEW posted:

Crankshaft

When this running gag started thirty-some-odd years ago, it was just Ed taking a sadistic glee in not stopping for kids who were clearly running for the bus, or for moms running out to deliver a forgotten lunchbox. At some point that transformed into Ed feeling it's his solemn duty to never allow a child onto his bus at all. Like this is apparently the only kid who's even trying anymore, and they have to persuade him every day to even allow it.

It's not uncommon for an element of a comic strip to leave reality behind and take on a life of its own (e.g. Snoopy's alter egos, or the Forths' haunted house), but this one has just gotten so odd that it's hard to even know what to make of it anymore.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Heart of the City

Curtis YOU DID THIS LAST YEAR

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Also I checked and this mole war poo poo has been going on in BCN sinc JUNE 19th jesus christ let it end please

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo
New teacher gags are always weird in these permanent time-loop strips

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Powered Descent posted:

When this running gag started thirty-some-odd years ago, it was just Ed taking a sadistic glee in not stopping for kids who were clearly running for the bus, or for moms running out to deliver a forgotten lunchbox. At some point that transformed into Ed feeling it's his solemn duty to never allow a child onto his bus at all. Like this is apparently the only kid who's even trying anymore, and they have to persuade him every day to even allow it.

It's not uncommon for an element of a comic strip to leave reality behind and take on a life of its own (e.g. Snoopy's alter egos, or the Forths' haunted house), but this one has just gotten so odd that it's hard to even know what to make of it anymore.

wasn't there some loving class moms were taking to match the running speed of the bus? I swear I remember some kind of course with that.

Then again I only took the bus to high school, and while we had different drivers, I liked all of them because they were pretty chill. I do remember getting out of class late one day, being pissed and telling my teacher I'd miss the bus, but they didn't care. So I came out and yes, all the buses had left. I lived a few miles from school, so I started the loving trek home, and one of my old drivers saw me on the side of the busy road, remembered me, and loving stopped and had me get on the empty bus; she was done with her route and heading back to the yard. She couldn't take me right to my usual stop but she got me within a half mile of my house, and to this day I remember that kindness.

Like, the poo poo Crankshaft is doing is supposed to be funny, but it's not.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

I appreciate the sincere nerdiness of Heart in that strip.

Powered Descent posted:

I thought Crankshaft's uh, crankyshaftiness was limited to breaking that guys mailbox once a month, which works as a running gag. Actually dodging kids as a school bus driver just makes him an enormous piece of poo poo. If Batiuk were to mumble that "he's supposed to be a jerk" then good job loving that up too, you lay it on too thick with a jerk character and it's "why don't they just put down Marmaduke?"

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Doomykins posted:

I thought Crankshaft's uh, crankyshaftiness was limited to breaking that guys mailbox once a month, which works as a running gag. Actually dodging kids as a school bus driver just makes him an enormous piece of poo poo. If Batiuk were to mumble that "he's supposed to be a jerk" then good job loving that up too, you lay it on too thick with a jerk character and it's "why don't they just put down Marmaduke?"

This is basically word-for-word the answer I got when I asked an editor why an old man was being an rear end in a top hat to Dustin for no reason.

The strip was like:
Panel 1: Dustin is working in a bookstore and an old man comes in, Dustin says "Is there anything I can help you with?"
Panel 2: The old man looks at Dustin.
Panel 3: The old man says "Let's hope not", gently caress you Dustin.

I asked an editor about it, and they said "yeah, but the old man is a grouch."

I was ready to yell "that's not the loving joke and you know it. the joke is on Dustin, it's not on the guy making the joke but I just kind of shrugged and moved on.

The point is, these people all think "guy is mean" is a joke in itself. Even the young progressive ones think that.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves

What an outlandish idea!

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I figure folks itt have decent odds of being interested in knowing that KC Greens Pinocchio adaptation is having a kickstarter for a print copy:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/kcgreen/carlo-collodis-pinocchio/

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Vargo posted:

The point is, these people all think "guy is mean" is a joke in itself. Even the young progressive ones think that.

That's really a shame, though like most newspaper problems it speaks to a lack of effort or talent. The character study of the affable jackass isn't new!

The jackass character suffers enormously when not framed in a proper setting and/or having supporting cast to contrast with. I could write essays on why a character like Bender in Futurama is great but Crankshaft and Dustin just shove shitheads on panel and say there's your punchline, they're enormous pieces of poo poo. Scary Gary pulls it off smoothly with Leopold, that absurdly awful little imp. He fits the world and he's the extreme acidic taste that balances out with 3+ other personalities. With Crankshaft we're just supposed to play it straight that all the normal milquetoast people around him, particularly his family, don't notice or care that grandpa is a sociopathic monster. Child endangerment? Just being obnoxious? I'm old, lol!

I'm mad about Batiukverse again!

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.

what

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Doomykins posted:

That's really a shame, though like most newspaper problems it speaks to a lack of effort or talent. The character study of the affable jackass isn't new!

The jackass character suffers enormously when not framed in a proper setting and/or having supporting cast to contrast with. I could write essays on why a character like Bender in Futurama is great but Crankshaft and Dustin just shove shitheads on panel and say there's your punchline, they're enormous pieces of poo poo. Scary Gary pulls it off smoothly with Leopold, that absurdly awful little imp. He fits the world and he's the extreme acidic taste that balances out with 3+ other personalities. With Crankshaft we're just supposed to play it straight that all the normal milquetoast people around him, particularly his family, don't notice or care that grandpa is a sociopathic monster. Child endangerment? Just being obnoxious? I'm old, lol!

I'm mad about Batiukverse again!
Pearls Before Swine pulls it off too with Rat, or used to at least I haven’t read it in a while.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Shithead: Why can't you be more like your sister
Dustin *puts on a dress* Let's escalate this

In any other comic I wouldn't be worried about them dragging this out/Ed going Family Annihilator

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

CzarChasm posted:

Shithead: Why can't you be more like your sister
Dustin *puts on a dress* Let's escalate this

In any other comic I wouldn't be worried about them dragging this out/Ed going Family Annihilator

Famous dress wearer: Dustin's sister.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Haraiso Days

Bardiche Hotel

From here on, the comic draws heavily on explicit references to Night on the Galactic Railroad, a well-loved book (with a 1985 anime adaptation) about grief and loss, which I don’t know much about, so I may be mis-stepping on some of the finer points of translation.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Hippocrass posted:

Famous dress wearer: Dustin's sister.
She does on occasion, mostly when going out and Ed gets mad that it's too short or whatever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Adventures in Cod-French 6/14-16/51

Branch water is a traditional mixer for bourbon or whiskey.

"La viand rose" is a mangling of "La Vie en Rose."

Archie 3/15-17/48

Selachian fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Sep 18, 2023