Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Forrest on Fire posted:

The Cubs just ran into a vastly superior DBacks team, nothing to be ashamed of when future MVP Corbin Carroll and Co run over you

Maybe if the Cubs played their players based on who is good and not on who has service time + are nice to Ross they'd compete better

I would argue with you but these are all salient points

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Do teams sell individual playoff game tickets? The Twins just optimistically put their tickets on sale but it's only for an entire strip of all possible 14 home games. I haven't bought playoff tickets since like 2006 and they at least did individual series strips then. Will I have to just resort to scalpers if I just want to go to a WC game?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
They'll start selling individual tickets closer to the time yeah. Unless they sell them all as playoff packages, though in the Twins case that seems unlikely since all they do in the playoffs is lose. Me personally I would definitely want to be able to say I was there for their first playoff win since the Coolidge Administration or whatever it is

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
All part of my plan to lower my blood pressure this Fall.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

This is what the top three AL West teams are trying to accomplish.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I leave the city for five days and this is what the Cubs do?????

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

FlamingLiberal posted:

It seems like the Rays are closer to having a new stadium deal

https://twitter.com/mlbtraderumors/status/1703759331068366877?s=46&t=BHs6Pl38GJXGN2Y4xeriNA

Current details are a 30K domed stadium near the existing one
30 years of people pointing out the current stadium is horribly located for the metro area, so lets build a new one right next to it!

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Poque posted:

I blame you.

October won't be stress free regardless for me. My college football team is in the top tier Big Sky. Conference is going to be a blood bath that'll make the pac12 look like the sec.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

bawfuls posted:

30 years of people pointing out the current stadium is horribly located for the metro area, so lets build a new one right next to it!
My guess is that nothing in Tampa is feasible without public money

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Poque posted:

*extremely Robin Williams voice* Listen to me. It's not your fault.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

A new stadium being built next to the old stadium solves nothing because people from Tampa still aren’t going to sit on the Howard Frankland for 45 minutes in rush hour traffic to sit in a warehouse with a baseball diamond inside whether the stadium is full of luxury boxes or not.

FlamingLiberal posted:

My guess is that nothing in Tampa is feasible without public money

Yeah, Hillsborough County and Tampa probably told him to go to hell when he wanted $600 million.

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Sep 18, 2023

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Yes but almost assuredly the owner is getting a bunch of development rights in that area for his stadium financing!!

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Yes but almost assuredly the owner is getting a bunch of development rights in that area for his stadium financing!!

Yeah, and the current residents are real happy after the last time someone knocked over the Black neighborhood to build a stadium.

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.
Everyone: Hey, it’s not just the stadium that sucks but it’s also the fact that it’s incredibly bottlenecked to get to and from the stadium, and we don’t think it’s worth the hassle to attend when we can just watch or listen to the broadcast.

Rays owners apparently: Clearly building a brand new stadium right next to the old one without addressing the issues of transportation will help! Look, we even have luxury boxes! :sparkles:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
https://twitter.com/CodifyBaseball/status/1703784081711087947

GOMS... :negative:

Miz Kriss posted:

Everyone: Hey, it’s not just the stadium that sucks but it’s also the fact that it’s incredibly bottlenecked to get to and from the stadium, and we don’t think it’s worth the hassle to attend when we can just watch or listen to the broadcast.

Rays owners apparently: Clearly building a brand new stadium right next to the old one without addressing the issues of transportation will help! Look, we even have luxury boxes! :sparkles:

Speaking of the stadiums the Brewers' bullshit run of success appears to not just be limited to the field, because they're also apparently getting $600M in taxpayer money because, uh... idk?

https://twitter.com/Emilee_Fannon/status/1702807695516938636

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

The Brewers stimulate the local economy by not paying concession workers, siphoning public money to private funds, and making a new big scoreboard that will show Brewer fans!

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
gently caress the Brewers

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

I don’t know if it’s because I just ate lunch and have to go grocery shopping after work, but I’m wondering how turnout would be if tailgating became as big of a thing in baseball as it is in college football.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Forrest on Fire posted:

The Brewers stimulate the local economy by not paying concession workers, siphoning public money to private funds, and making a new big scoreboard that will show Brewer fans!

- build a larger and faster slide
- charge people a small fee to let them go down the slide
- more money for billionaires pay for a new stadium

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

bawfuls posted:

Are you saying people won't be excited to see a game in St. Pete's Historic Gas Plant District?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Bird in a Blender posted:

Are you saying people won't be excited to see a game in St. Pete's Historic Gas Plant District?

Think of how high the property values will be!

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Every time you GOMS your team loses 1% chance to make the playoffs.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

drat the season's almost over

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
Brewers lease is up 2030 so Manfred has been bitching about getting free money while bringing up Oakland. This proposal would keep the Brewers until 2050. At least now they tie the state funds to the players and visiting teams income tax now.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

The Pussy Boss posted:

thank god the season's almost over

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Forrest on Fire posted:

The Cubs just ran into a vastly superior DBacks team, nothing to be ashamed of when future MVP Corbin Carroll and Co run over you

Maybe if the Cubs played their players based on who is good and not on who has service time + are nice to Ross they'd compete better

Ross is flabbergasted that the Diamondbacks are playing Carroll every day when they could have had a veteran like Rafael Ortega or someone instead.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Kirios posted:

Live by the GOMS, die by the GOMS

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Niwrad posted:

Ross is flabbergasted that the Diamondbacks are playing Carroll every day when they could have had a veteran like Rafael Ortega or someone instead.

The D-Backs scoring on multiple hits to CF that PCA would have run down easily but instead he's on the bench so a 32 year old career AAAA guy with 0 OAA can play CF instead really just sums up everything wrong with how the Cubs have oriented themselves right now. Next year is going to be a clusterfuck since a ton of rookies are poised to graduate and Ross is gonna want to sit them all so he can play geriatric KBO washouts.

Motherfucker sac'd the DH and put Morel in CF the other day rather than letting Canario get off the bench. Like don't get me wrong I don't think Canario is the savior or anything and playing him would turn the season around, but if you're that unwilling to even swap him in as a defensive guy in extras why the gently caress did you call him up?

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Kirios posted:

If anything we haven’t GOMS’d enough

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Its Rinaldo posted:

If anything we haven’t GOMS’d enough

It's true, neither of us has hit 0% yet. GOMES

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

Sydin posted:

The D-Backs scoring on multiple hits to CF that PCA would have run down easily but instead he's on the bench so a 32 year old career AAAA guy with 0 OAA can play CF instead really just sums up everything wrong with how the Cubs have oriented themselves right now. Next year is going to be a clusterfuck since a ton of rookies are poised to graduate and Ross is gonna want to sit them all so he can play geriatric KBO washouts.

Motherfucker sac'd the DH and put Morel in CF the other day rather than letting Canario get off the bench. Like don't get me wrong I don't think Canario is the savior or anything and playing him would turn the season around, but if you're that unwilling to even swap him in as a defensive guy in extras why the gently caress did you call him up?

Yeah, I get having faith in your players, but there’s a clear indication that some need to loving rest and clear their heads and give the new guys a chance. Just having them sit there watching their teammates struggle while they can actually do something is incredibly frustrating.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Acuña back tonight, 3 HR to go!

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice

Miz Kriss posted:

I don’t know if it’s because I just ate lunch and have to go grocery shopping after work, but I’m wondering how turnout would be if tailgating became as big of a thing in baseball as it is in college football.

Tailgating is a thing in football because it's only one Saturday/Sunday a week, a handful of times per season. It's rare enough to warrant a party atmosphere. No one has time for all that for weekday games all summer long. Also, the capacity of a football stadium is 2-3x any baseball stadium, so you have that many more people at the party.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Blind Pineapple posted:

Tailgating is a thing in football because it's only one Saturday/Sunday a week, a handful of times per season. It's rare enough to warrant a party atmosphere. No one has time for all that for weekday games all summer long. Also, the capacity of a football stadium is 2-3x any baseball stadium, so you have that many more people at the party.

Clearly you've never been to a Brewers game or just Wisconsin in general.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
"nobody has time for all that alcoholism" well look at mr judgemental over here

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

mdemone posted:

And with that, I present the first installment:

The Season From Hell
Or, How the Los Angeles Angels are the Worst Team in Pro Sports: a 2023 Retrospective

It begins, as it will end, with Anthony Rendon.

March had been relatively mild after all, with only two starting position players lost to injury, and a starting pitcher lost with a torn UCL. You expect these things. In fact you come to cherish them, as one cherishes loved ones who have passed away, through this earthly organization and into a promised land where they can be injured no more.

On the 37th day of Lent by the Christian calendar of the year of our Lord 2023, a fan cursed at a baseball player on the opposing team. This would have passed for normality on any other day, but this was not just any other day, and it was not just any season -- it was the day upon which a man, and a franchise, discovered their true path, indeed their very destiny.

Part 1: Whomsoever Striketh Thee Upon the Cheek

Listen, I don't care whether you have a lot of guaranteed money coming your way. If you're a professional baseball player, you have been heckled and even verbally assaulted by opposing fans. That's part of the game. You want to show them up, then go get a couple bases and maybe an RBI. Flip them the bird when you're dusting off your uniform. Literally do almost anything but that. You can't touch the audience, you moron. Also, not for nothing, but it's batting practice, yeah? We're talking about practice. If Bart Giamatti were alive he would have had your rear end for breakfast.

Meanwhile, Hunter Renfroe can't hit the broad side of a barn, and the bullpen is godawful. Anthony Rendon is suspended for five games and then rises again on Easter weekend 2023 like the Antichrist, and then poo poo really goes sideways for the Angels.

Coming soon: Part 2: His Disciples

Postmortem thread will have the rest of the installments. I'm determined to see this through, much like the X-rays see through one's flesh to determine whether one has a fractured tibia.

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Tony Phillips posted:

All part of my plan to lower my blood pressure this Fall.

I’ve been released from prison. The only bird I can care about is Eagles, the Blue Jays can’t hurt me, and at least this bird team knows how to run

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

You could tailgate a baseball game on a Saturday or Sunday. I have. But it doesn’t cover the other 5 games a week. And you don’t have the same ritual and routine and build you have with football. Building up all week or two weeks to Sunday. It’s an event. Individuals might make a baseball game an event. We buy tickets and anticipate going to the game for weeks and make a day of it when it happens. But you don’t have the same communal experience and shared ritual.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I've known football season ticket holders who's main reason for renewing was that if they didn't they wouldn't get to meet up with their tailgate crew those 8 times a year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
I have a feeling the M's will be in first on Thursday. Most teams don't blow a series against the A's