Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Punished Ape
Sep 17, 2021
So on Earth, you visit NASA and learn grav drive technology is what destroyed the magnetosphere/atmosphere. Does that mean that OTHER places with atmospheres humans have settled will suffer the same fate? Or was it just development of the technology that did it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

RandomBlue posted:

I use StarUI and sort by DPS when comparing weapons and sort by value per weight when selling so I get rid of the lowest value poo poo taking the most space first.

Though the DPS calculation doesn't appear to account for reload time and mag size at all right now so it's just a rough number.
Yeah I also use StarUI, but mostly I just go by vibes. "This feels like a particle shotgun moment." "Oh you've got a microgun, eh? Check mine out."

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

"Landing in new planets like this never gets old" -Sam Coe.

Upon landing on a planet called Akila...

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Punished Ape posted:

So on Earth, you visit NASA and learn grav drive technology is what destroyed the magnetosphere/atmosphere. Does that mean that OTHER places with atmospheres humans have settled will suffer the same fate? Or was it just development of the technology that did it?

Nah there's another audio log where they say they've fixed it for mass production but too late for Earth

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Punished Ape posted:

you may have missed it but it's explained that the issue with the grav drives that caused that was fixable but the lead researcher was such a dipshit techbro that he forged ahead anyway with the flawed drives and the issue was fixed after earth was already hosed

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Punished Ape posted:

Keep playing. you're only getting part of the story

E: apparently it got missed by other people too but the techbro guy found an artifact and intentionally sabotaged the grav drives to destroy earth and push people out into the stars

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Turin Turambar posted:

Of course the options here all bad, and somehow Option D isn't a thing, say to the colonizers to land in the other side of the planet and don't agree to any terms, what the resort guys are going to do? they specifically say they aren't part of UC or Freestar, in other words they don't have the military power to back up the claim to the entire planet. Even with the inferior tech, the colonizers have superior numbers than a dozen of guards..

I mean, Paradiso appears to have a shitload of money from all their fancy tourism, so I assume they'd just hire someone like the Ecliptic Mercenaries to come in and bloodbath the colonists with superior tech if they felt it was a problem. Probably better to get the colonists the hell out of there by hooking them up with a grav drive. I liked that quest well enough. It was just something I ran across while I was in the middle of doing something else, so I was actually pretty happy that it wasn't a dragged out questline.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Azhais posted:

[insert dril isis tweet]

You got the faction who does the terrorism mixed up. It's the UC.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

you may have missed it but it's explained that the issue with the grav drives that caused that was fixable but the lead researcher was such a dipshit techbro that he forged ahead anyway with the flawed drives and the issue was fixed after earth was already hosed

why didn't he just fix it the first time lol

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

FFT posted:

Yeah I also use StarUI, but mostly I just go by vibes. "This feels like a particle shotgun moment." "Oh you've got a microgun, eh? Check mine out."

Yeah, the DPS is just general guidance for me. I check DPS, then actual damage per hit, firing rate and how much ammo I actually have.

I pretty much ignore anything with low damage high fire rate because ammo is a PITA in this game AND YOU CAN'T CRAFT IT!

:mad:

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

VostokProgram posted:

He found an artifact and intentionally sabotaged the drives so humans would be forced to move out into the galaxy

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

site posted:

He found an artifact and intentionally sabotaged the drives so humans would be forced to move out into the galaxy

oh right I forgot that part. what a dumbass

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

VostokProgram posted:

iirc the flaw became apparent pretty early but he kept forging on and the solution was found after earth was already doomed

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

VostokProgram posted:

this is why:

site posted:

E: apparently it got missed by other people too but the techbro guy found an artifact and intentionally sabotaged the grav drives to destroy earth and push people out into the stars

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

site posted:

i don't think it was intentional sabotage, more so that he knew what was gonna happen but still cared more about settling other systems than making it known what was going to happen

he still sucks either way

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

move fast and break things (earth's atmosphere)

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

i don't think it was intentional sabotage, more so that he knew what was gonna happen but still cared more about settling other systems than making it known what was going to happen

he still sucks either way

he left the known flaw in and hid that from the people he pushed to use it specifically to destroy the earth's ability to sustain life. whether he actively put the flaw in is a semantic difference, not a practical one

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

I kinda get the feeling Bethesda only specializes in Dead Worlds because making them feel like people are alive in them currently is too difficult.

All those big, fascinating events always happen in the past. Their game worlds - TES, Fallout, and now Starfield - feel like they were all lived in at one time, but are all currently being occupied by squatters who have barely figured out how to get their poo poo together. This COULD'VE been about colonizing space, but nah, it's about rediscovering all of these places that are largely still operable after a major war.

For instance, stuff like the automated farms on Akila that don't move or do anything make it feel like you've stumbled on a long-abandoned civilization, not one that's thriving some 400 yards away. In fact, there's very little movement in any of the setpieces -- aside from Cydonia, which has not much else going on.

My son pointed out that Bethesda makes environments that look lived-in, past-tense, but not lived-in, present-tense and I can't unsee it everywhere I go.

edit-

site posted:

Accelerationist techbro destroying Earth on purpose is the most believable plot point in the whole game

TremorX fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Sep 18, 2023

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

SmallpoxJenkins posted:

I feel like we shouldn't have to put a point into whatever to do a running slide, or for jetpack hovering.
Half these perks/skills seems worthless, and some could've been combined.

Floor is lava posted:

This game has major progression issues. I finished the main story to ng+ and then all of the factions and never upgraded a gun or suit and never built an outpost other than to test it. They really need to give you a couple of skill points per level.

We're used to a skill tree being a central factor in action RPG's. Starfield's skill tree is pretty sucky, but you're getting new abilities and better stats in a lot of different ways.

Artifact powers, unique abilities from completing a faction, companion skills, gear mods, consumable item buffs, and permanent stat boost magazines.

Those things incentivize outpost building, exploration, mining, and spending time with different companions.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

widespread posted:

I think my main takeaway now is that we kinda need persistence with these factions lmao its 2023 what do you mean they only acknowledge your poo poo during the quest and go right back to neutral status after

No there are computers to hack. They just take the same skill as locks do lmao

There are hints of it, for example (spoiler on a side quest) there is an encounter with two Ryujin guys on a spaceship that has gone sentient. You have unique ways to resolve the situation if you’ve already joined Ryujin. It was actually sort of cool then though the “persuade” options were as nonsensical as always.

But more would be way better.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Armories

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfEIuDoK3o8

2x1s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_xEvuLEj1Q

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

site posted:

Still massive MSQ spoilers. And he got the equations from a starborn version of himself. Or, at least a starborn.

I think the last log is a little ambiguous on if it was intentional from the start but he absolutely thought it was a good thing. Until the world collapsed around him.

Speaking of that quest, was there an explanation for why that last rocket didn’t leave? One of the first terminals talks about rumors that that last one wasn’t going to takeoff but to keep prepping as normal? Was that mentioned again?

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I've read about it many times already but drat it the whole ID card "persuasion" was SO dumb. Come oonnnn now, please? No! Pretty pretty please? No! Plzzzzzzzzz? Okay sure!

The whole Starfield persuasion thing is a novel idea, but the way it's implemented is incredibly weird. I think I much rather prefer the good old "You must be this tall in the skill to succeed" check.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

TeaJay posted:

I've read about it many times already but drat it the whole ID card "persuasion" was SO dumb. Come oonnnn now, please? No! Pretty pretty please? No! Plzzzzzzzzz? Okay sure!

The whole Starfield persuasion thing is a novel idea, but the way it's implemented is incredibly weird. I think I much rather prefer the good old "You must be this tall in the skill to succeed" check.

i liked negating the entire final boss fight with the Persuasion skill

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

There are hints of it, for example (spoiler on a side quest) there is an encounter with two Ryujin guys on a spaceship that has gone sentient. You have unique ways to resolve the situation if you’ve already joined Ryujin. It was actually sort of cool then though the “persuade” options were as nonsensical as always.

But more would be way better.

I actually did that one. Either I missed the path to using my Ryujin position beyond introductions, or I was too hyperfocused on planting the board because Juno just had to mention that memes are like genes in that they are designed to be spread(paraphrased from a talk about hallucinations).

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

+2 Come on, we both know it's a good system.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I like new lockpicking, I also like that with the Security/Persuasion skills you have the ability to bank instant-wins so less reason to save scum.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
trying to do a melee/steath run in ng++ and boy does it seem like a mistake. did anyone try unarmed?

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
Has there ever been vehicles modded into a Bethesda game/does the engine support it?

I was thinking how one of my favorite parts of mass effect 1 is driving the mako all over the planets and if I could do that in Starfield I'll probably drop 2000 hours in just driving on planets.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Al! posted:

trying to do a melee/steath run in ng++ and boy does it seem like a mistake. did anyone try unarmed?

Yeah this is not a game where stealth feels viable. Environments just aren't set up for you to sneak around and silently murk people.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Resdfru posted:

I was thinking how one of my favorite parts of mass effect 1 is driving the mako

:catstare:

They exist!

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.

Alchenar posted:

Yeah this is not a game where stealth feels viable. Environments just aren't set up for you to sneak around and silently murk people.

It feels like they tried to avoid the situations from fallout where you could snipe an entire enemy camp from afar too. The minute I take my first stealth shot everyone knows where I am. But tbf my stealth is at level 2 so maybe it works differently as it gets higher

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Resdfru posted:

I was thinking how one of my favorite parts of mass effect 1 is driving the mako

ban

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Alchenar posted:

its funny because there are so many skills you can invest into for this purpose but they give you like 6 melee weapons and finding ones with enchantments on them seems very rare

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Resdfru posted:

Has there ever been vehicles modded into a Bethesda game/does the engine support it?

I was thinking how one of my favorite parts of mass effect 1 is driving the mako all over the planets and if I could do that in Starfield I'll probably drop 2000 hours in just driving on planets.

https://i.imgur.com/UK4n64k.gifv

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Al! posted:

its funny because there are so many skills you can invest into for this purpose but they give you like 6 melee weapons and finding ones with enchantments on them seems very rare

additionally, while i was originally a melee weapon evangelist, they do in fact stop being viable after level 50 or so. shotguns do way more damage at close range once advanced ones start showing up, if close combat is your preference, and snipers can one shot most enemies at that point from a safe distance as well.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Al! posted:

as a gun stealth player i couldn't help but laugh at FINALLY getting enough points in to unlock concealment and the challenge grind is stealth melee kills

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Alchenar posted:

And being able to silently murk people should be more present, since this is space.

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual

site posted:

as a gun stealth player i couldn't help but laugh at FINALLY getting enough points in to unlock concealment and the challenge grind is stealth melee kills

I re-rolled the moment I got there. Wasn't in love with stealth but that sealed the deal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

skooma512 posted:

And being able to silently murk people should be more present, since this is space.

I do enjoy the "Did you hear something?!" voice lines on worlds with no atmosphere