Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Often an anecdote is posted as a conclusive cheap own of tech. eg that Chat GPT is stupid with math but in Reddit today, comments in a post about the profit on a cow;

Buy a cow for $800
Sell the cow for $1000
Buy the cow for $1100
Sell the cow for $1300

How much did you earn? (putting aside the meltdown about how trading is not "earning" to some people).

Someone commented that Chat GPT thinks it is $400 profit, other comments are having a lot of fun lording and laffo-ing over how stupid Chat GPT is when it is obvious that the answer is $300....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Electric Wrigglies posted:

Often an anecdote is posted as a conclusive cheap own of tech. eg that Chat GPT is stupid with math but in Reddit today, comments in a post about the profit on a cow;

Buy a cow for $800
Sell the cow for $1000
Buy the cow for $1100
Sell the cow for $1300

How much did you earn? (putting aside the meltdown about how trading is not "earning" to some people).

Someone commented that Chat GPT thinks it is $400 profit, other comments are having a lot of fun lording and laffo-ing over how stupid Chat GPT is when it is obvious that the answer is $300....

Let's break it down step by step:

1. Bought a cow for $800.
2. Sold the cow for $1000.
3. Bought the cow again for $1100.
4. Sold the cow again for $1300.

To calculate your earnings, you can subtract your total expenses from your total revenue:

Total revenue = $1000 (from the first sale) + $1300 (from the second sale) = $2300
Total expenses = $800 (initial purchase) + $1100 (second purchase) = $1900

Earnings = Total revenue - Total expenses = $2300 - $1900 = $400

So, you earned $400 in total.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Buy a cow for $800
Sell the cow for $1000
Buy the cow for $1100
Sell the cow for $1300

Somebody being a dumbass on Reddit isn't really shocking, but you're totally misunderstanding this by seeing it as a test of math ability.

Why? Because this particular riddle went viral on social media years ago, and thus the answer to this exact problem with these exact numbers is widely available online. As such, it's very easy for ChatGPT to solve, because this exact question (along with the answer) appear numerous times in its training data.

Throwing an existing riddle at ChatGPT is foolish, because that's just a test of its ability to search (a snapshot of) the internet for existing answers - a task at which it excels. Any human approaching it the same way ChatGPT does (by searching the entire internet for similar text) would easily find the correct answer. When I search for "cow for $800", the first ten results all contain this exact riddle, followed by the answer and an explanation of why that's the answer.

Now, a more useful test would be to change one or two of the numbers (preferably not the first one) and see how ChatGPT responds. While ChatGPT does great at well-known riddles and thought experiments, its accuracy drops like a rock if you make a slight change to the riddle or thought experiment, because it's not actually doing any reasoning - it's just regurgitating the accumulated knowledge of the entire internet. If you present it a problem that's a small change to a well-known problem, it has a tendency to present the well-known answer without modifying it. For example, the "1 pound of feathers vs 2 pounds of bricks" one that's become such an infamous example of LLMs' limitations.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?
Why is this messing with my head so much, I can get both answers and I don't understand why

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

shoeberto posted:

Why is this messing with my head so much, I can get both answers and I don't understand why

You profited 200, than spent another 100, than profited another 200 = 300

edit: Im bad at math

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Sep 18, 2023

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

shoeberto posted:

Each sale generates $200 in profit for $400 total.

Your brain wants to think you started at $0 and you borrowed $100 or lost $100 on the second transaction, but you did not.

The total spent is $1,900. The total earned is $2,300. That leaves $400 earned from both sales.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Elias_Maluco posted:

You profited 200, than spent another 100, than profited another 200 = 300

edit: Im bad at math

lol

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Yes, the answer is trivially $400 (you invested $1900 in cow and sold for $2300), that the $100 difference is potential left on the table (would have been better to buy for $800 and sell for $1300 for a $500 profit). And yes the answer/riddle has been around for years so that Chat GBT was able to "solve" it despite no doing any math at all.

The point was anecdotes of being able to illicit non-intelligent answers out of AI can often be done on humans as well (even un-intentionally). In the same way a perfectly smart medical doctor should not be trusted to fly you somewhere in a plane is also similar to how AI used outside its specializing and reasonable performance expectation will deliver silly results.

E) I kind of see these attacks on AI as straw manning in a similar way that conservatives attack climate change models - "you say your model predicts 1 deg C raise in global temps and yet your model can't predict whether it will rain tomorrow - all credibility lost". That's not to say that there is not problematic uses of AI (same as climate models, some of the very first models were assembled to try and prove that bulk CO2 would NOT change the climate).

Electric Wrigglies fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Sep 18, 2023

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Every time one of these math problems go viral there’s a ton of Americans in the comments section with the wrong answer.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

Boris Galerkin posted:

https://www.businessinsider.com/incredibly-lonely-high-paying-tech-job-seattle-2023-9

“Story” about a guy that graduated with their software engineering degree and moved across the country to work for Amazon in Seattle. I guess that I’m suppose to feel bad for the guy or something but lol I just can’t. Don’t think there’s a paywall so I won’t bother linking the whole story just bits and pieces.

I know someone at Amazon that manages a bunch of staff who are like the guy in the story. As he put it "They're off the charts smart, but they have like zero social skills". He tries to get them to do non-work things, but the only thing they've learnt in life is to work on technical problems, so that's what they gravitate to and the company will "hire and expire" (ie: expect them to crash out after 2-3 years) those people straight from their school.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Putting Twitter behind a Paywall is probably the one thing Musk could do that would instantly kill the service instead of slowly choking it.

No info on how much they plan for the "lower tier" paywall to be, but it does say that when they discussed the possibility last year that the idea was that you would get a certain amount of Twitter views for free each month and then have to pay to see more instead of a 100% pure paywall.

https://twitter.com/DaveLeeBBG/status/1703816624111821214

Lyesh
Apr 9, 2003

E) I kind of see these attacks on AI as straw manning in a similar way that conservatives attack climate change models - "you say your model predicts 1 deg C raise in global temps and yet your model can't predict whether it will rain tomorrow - all credibility lost". That's not to say that there is not problematic uses of AI (same as climate models, some of the very first models were assembled to try and prove that bulk CO2 would NOT change the climate).
Mostly the problems with AI are social. It's a massively oversold, overhyped technology that's being used in very damaging ways (literally so in the case of FSD). I doubt many people would have as much of a problem with it (myself included) if it were just a tool in the belts of computer programmers. Though even there, the issues with capital accumulation from the training effort and CPU time needed to produce and run the models would be an issue. As would all of the other issues with computerization in general.

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

Vegetable posted:

Every time one of these math problems go viral there’s a ton of Americans in the comments section with the wrong answer.

usually its a PEMDAS problem for Facebook boomers who don't remember high school algebra. This was a straight forward common sense two transaction deal and it loving befuddles me how there was at least two posters in this thread that hosed it up. No wonder boomers thought it a compelling debate. I mourn for the future of this country.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

duodenum posted:

usually its a PEMDAS problem for Facebook boomers who don't remember high school algebra. This was a straight forward common sense two transaction deal and it loving befuddles me how there was at least two posters in this thread that hosed it up. No wonder boomers thought it a compelling debate. I mourn for the future of this country.

Alright, Im dumb. Im not american, though

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
The actual profit is $2300 as you put the $1900 debt in the name of the cow before you sell it.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

dr_rat posted:

The actual profit is $2300 as you put the $1900 debt in the name of the cow before you sell it.

lmfao

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I can understand getting that answer wrong if you spend most of your adult life riddled with debt. You're just so used to having to pay something back it interferes with basic math.

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

dr_rat posted:

Who bought Mitt Romney an SA account?

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

fairly sure we talked about this a few years ago, but is it possible to get a dumb refrigerator nowadays? all the ones i'm looking at have bluetooth at the very least.

i don't want any of that! just keep things cold! also, which brands are even worth a drat?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

abelwingnut posted:

fairly sure we talked about this a few years ago, but is it possible to get a dumb refrigerator nowadays? all the ones i'm looking at have bluetooth at the very least.

i don't want any of that! just keep things cold! also, which brands are even worth a drat?

where are you doing your shopping where that's all you have available?? :psyduck:

e: Oh wait, are you saying that of the types that you are looking for, presumably high end, they all are smart fridges? Well, there's your first world problem.

Solution: buy a cheap fridge.

Nenonen fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Sep 18, 2023

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I shop for refrigerators exclusively at the Apple Store.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Yeah it seems pretty trivial to find non-smart fridges or ones with really basic “smart” features you never have to opt into. Like I can just go to homedepot.com and every big brand has non-smart models.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Get a fridge that doesn’t have an external ice dispenser and save some money on your power bills.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

i was just looking at costco and all of the models on the floor were smart. maybe it was just a costco thing.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Okay but I doubt you are forced to use those features? It’s not like the compressor uses Bluetooth.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
It's probably heading the same way that TVs went where they can get some extra profit by selling your fridge usage data.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Yes, the answer is trivially $400 (you invested $1900 in cow and sold for $2300), that the $100 difference is potential left on the table (would have been better to buy for $800 and sell for $1300 for a $500 profit). And yes the answer/riddle has been around for years so that Chat GBT was able to "solve" it despite no doing any math at all.

The point was anecdotes of being able to illicit non-intelligent answers out of AI can often be done on humans as well (even un-intentionally). In the same way a perfectly smart medical doctor should not be trusted to fly you somewhere in a plane is also similar to how AI used outside its specializing and reasonable performance expectation will deliver silly results.

If an airline company is trying to sell people on flights piloted by people with medical degrees instead of piloting licenses, then it's absolutely fair to call out medical doctors' piloting skills. Yeah, a medical doctor isn't actually a worse pilot than some random person off the street, but when a company is putting them in the cockpit then it's very important to point out their lack of actual piloting skills.

If companies are selling AI tools that are both built and marketed to be used outside their actual specialty, then it's important for people to point out how bad those tools are at things outside their specialty, as well as the fact that they're being used outside their specialty at all. You and I both know that poo poo like ChatGPT isn't capable of reasoning, but there are a lot of people who not only think that it's doing reasoning but are also using it to do reasoning for them.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Yeah, I bought a smart washer last year because I wanted a higher-end one, and it just doesn't know the network password. Means I can't control it with my phone, but that was never a priority anyway.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?

duodenum posted:

Sorry to cause you to mourn op.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Well yea, that's how science works. Nothing wrong with running an experiment to try and disprove a theory. Taking some very simple laws of physics, you can predict that CO2 will raise temperature. Some scientists thought that simulating more complex interactions would show that the reality was more complex. Turns out it's not, and the basic calculations from the early 20th century were pretty much right (Some also thought it would be a good thing, because it would "halt the return of the deadly glaciers")

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

I don't understand how the cow think is a 'riddle' or confusing at all. It seems like a straightforward elementary school math problem.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

Twerk from Home posted:

It's probably heading the same way that TVs went where they can get some extra profit by selling your fridge usage data.

who the hell is buying that data?

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Main Paineframe posted:

If an airline company is trying to sell people on flights piloted by people with medical degrees instead of piloting licenses, then it's absolutely fair to call out medical doctors' piloting skills. Yeah, a medical doctor isn't actually a worse pilot than some random person off the street, but when a company is putting them in the cockpit then it's very important to point out their lack of actual piloting skills.

The joke is that doctors have an above-average rate of general aviation crashes because of overconfidence and ability to buy more airplane than they really know how to fly. The Beechcraft Bonanza is known as the "Forked-Tail Doctor Killer" for a reason.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Stexils posted:

who the hell is buying that data?

https://www.technologyreview.com/2023/05/08/1072708/hack-smart-fridge-digital-forensics/

quote:

VTO Labs reverse-engineered the data storage system of a Samsung fridge after it had primed the appliance with test data, extracted that data, and posted a copy of its databases publicly on their website for use by researchers. Steve Watson, the lab’s CEO, explained that this involves finding all the places where the fridge could store data, both within the unit itself and outside it, in apps or cloud storage. Once they’d done that, Epifani got to work analyzing and organizing the data and gaining access to the files.

What he found was a treasure trove of personal details. Epifani found information about Bluetooth devices near the fridge, Samsung user account details like email addresses and home Wi-Fi networks, temperature and geolocation data, and hourly statistics on energy usage. The fridge stored data about when a user was playing music through an iHeartRadio app. Epifani could even access photos of the Diet Coke and Snapple on the fridge’s shelves, thanks to the small camera that’s embedded inside it. What’s more, he found that the fridge could hold much more data if a user connected the fridge to other Samsung devices through a centralized personal or shared family account.

A lot of people would buy this data.

E: That picture from that patent application where you have to stand up and clap and say McDonald’s after seeing a McDonald’s commercial, except this time the TV shows you a commercial for Pepsi and then you walk over to your smart fridge to get a coke, and the Fridge tells the TV you grabbed the wrong drink, so it keeps showing you the Pepsi ad until you change your behavior.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Sep 19, 2023

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Boris Galerkin posted:

https://www.technologyreview.com/2023/05/08/1072708/hack-smart-fridge-digital-forensics/

A lot of people would buy this data.

E: That picture from that patent application where you have to stand up and clap and say McDonald’s after seeing a McDonald’s commercial, except this time the TV shows you a commercial for Pepsi and then you walk over to your smart fridge to get a coke, and the Fridge tells the TV you grabbed the wrong drink, so it keeps showing you the Pepsi ad until you change your behavior.

"What kind of idiot would do a bunch of tiny super targeted ad buys, instead of one big, well known campaign??"

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Foxfire_ posted:

I don't understand how the cow think is a 'riddle' or confusing at all. It seems like a straightforward elementary school math problem.

I think the idea is that there's like a fallacy where people assume that the first half of the question is more connected to the second half than it actually is. Instead of two separate subtraction problems (dead simple arithmetic) they are approaching it like you have to keep track of some total number of funds available and they get thrown off by the second half buying a cow for more than they perceive themselves to "have."

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Volmarias posted:

"What kind of idiot would do a bunch of tiny super targeted ad buys, instead of one big, well known campaign??"

I mean the scenario I edited in was more of a joke but the reality is that a smart fridge is an always on computer inside your home that has sensors detecting Bluetooth and WiFi signals, apparently has cameras facing the shelves (didn’t know this was a thing), most likely has microphones, etc etc, and its running some Android OS built to siphon up all this data and send back to the mothership. It knows when you are home and when you are hungry, what foods you eat, etc. And if it offers an option to sign into your Google account to download apps and poo poo then it knows what apps you use and when and so forth.

I mean it’s probably the same information your phone already knows about you but still.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Cow went up to $3600 before I sold at $1300 so actually I lost $2300

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

like bitcoin and real estate, cow can only go up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Buy a cow for $800
Sell the cow for $1000
Buy the cow for $1100
Sell the cow for $1300

How much did you earn? (putting aside the meltdown about how trading is not "earning" to some people). ..

<data insufficient>
What were the costs involved in performing these trades? Maintenance/upkeep costs for the in the periods that I owned it? Overhead expenses?