Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

FlamingLiberal posted:

Storage prices have gone down on SSDs since then so maybe it’s no big deal for them? We also know that MS is more willing to sell consoles at a loss to get people into GamePass.

If storage got cheaper, they should have made the 1TB Series S $299 and just retired the 512GB.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
They should have made the fan grille white on the black model

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

alyx was loving unreal

Alyx actually killed VR for me. No other game was or was going to be as good and I just kind of stopped bothering with VR after that, and my headset just gathers dust.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Looking at inflation isn't really valid for something like this, the sticker shock is real and the vast majority of people haven't gotten a 15% raise in the last three years.

If anything, I think most people are less able to justify a $299 purchase than they were in 2020.

univbee fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Sep 18, 2023

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!
Over the holiday season you'll see discounts to make that model $300 and wouldn't be too surprised if it maintained that price going forward.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
You really can't apply overall inflation to a single product like that, particularly a piece of consumer tech whose configuration has been more-or-less static for the last three years save the storage device.

I don't really know why MS is bothering with this, it's clear the Series S strategy failed to move hardware. YoY declines in hardware revenue during what should be the console's prime is the clearest verdict they're gonna get, time to re-launch Series X as the one to buy.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

On top of that, the Series S having old hardware is making it difficult for devs since their game has to run on the S and X

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
I like my series s 🤠

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

FlamingLiberal posted:

On top of that, the Series S having old hardware is making it difficult for devs since their game has to run on the S and X
Lazy devs, skill issue, etc.

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Lies of Pee is up

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

priznat posted:

Alyx actually killed VR for me. No other game was or was going to be as good and I just kind of stopped bothering with VR after that

luckily for you, so did all the devs!

have a nap

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

External Organs posted:

I like my series s 🤠

Same OP. Series S for totting around, series x for the oled.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

luckily for you, so did all the devs!

Yeah I think everyone else just went "welp can't beat that, fuckit let's go into doing NFTs" as was hot at the time

Except the sword fighting guys, that one game was pretty cool although it got incredibly disturbing lol

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

Wiltsghost posted:

Lies of Pee is up

is "P" not stored in the cloud?

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Wiltsghost posted:

Lies of Pee is up

I'm sure I'll hate it but I will try it.

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut
Marvel's Avengers down to $3.99 today only apparently. I'm not sure if that's still too much money but it's probably not getting any cheaper before they yank it from the store on the 30th.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

welcome posted:

Marvel's Avengers down to $3.99 today only apparently. I'm not sure if that's still too much money but it's probably not getting any cheaper before they yank it from the store on the 30th.

Isn't that a live service thing though so when they shut off the servers it will be unplayable?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I have no idea if you will be able to play the single player campaign after the servers shut down

You SHOULD be able to, but who knows

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut
They say single player will not be affected and even multiplayer will still be available after delisting, with the large caveat that they probably aren't patching it ever again.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
Anyone going to watch the Xbox Tokyo Game Show presentation? I'm in central time zone so It's only on at midnight for me so I might give it a shot.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I'll be watching the Yakuza thing but otherwise I'll just get my info from the Twitter guys.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I’m sure someone here will mention the cool news. Probably not staying up until midnight to watch a conference

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Lammasu posted:

Anyone going to watch the Xbox Tokyo Game Show presentation? I'm in central time zone so It's only on at midnight for me so I might give it a shot.

there aren't going to be any big new announcements if the past few years are any indication, though there should be some new port announcements and Game Pass shadow drops

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

Barry Convex posted:

there aren't going to be any big new announcements if the past few years are any indication, though there should be some new port announcements and Game Pass shadow drops

I'm just hoping for something about the Kojima game.

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Lammasu posted:

I'm just hoping for something about the Kojima game.

I doubt that's ready to announce yet. They might say something about Final Fantasy games since Phil was just over there talking to them.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

they're going to announce the older spider man game is coming to Xbox.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Beastie posted:

they're going to announce the older spider man game is coming to Xbox.

To be clear, you're talking about this one, right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngORPZj4wwY

Neco
Mar 13, 2005

listen
One major plot point in Starfield was presented so bad that it made me stop playing the game, for now, perhaps forever. The mini puzzle where you get the power was alright albeit annoying. And then you are dumped outside again with some text boxes telling me about a new power. What the heck is this amateur poo poo, how about showing not telling on hundreds of millions budget? At a very important point in the story? I just don‘t get it.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Filtered.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Played Lies of P up through where the demo ended and I think I'm going to be playing a lot of this. Seems like they widened the parry windows a bit, which makes it feel much better. The weapon crafting system seems really cool and I can't wait to get more gear so I can really dive into it.

Playing a soulslike at 60fps i for once is also really nice. My biggest gripe so far is that you have to teleport back to your central hub area to level up. But sure why you can't just do it at any bonfire.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Hulk Krogan posted:

Playing a soulslike at 60fps i for once is also really nice.

Every soulsgame is 60fps on series x :confused:

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Neco posted:

One major plot point in Starfield was presented so bad that it made me stop playing the game, for now, perhaps forever. The mini puzzle where you get the power was alright albeit annoying. And then you are dumped outside again with some text boxes telling me about a new power. What the heck is this amateur poo poo, how about showing not telling on hundreds of millions budget? At a very important point in the story? I just don‘t get it.

Congrats, you are free and can now play a good game instead.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Every soulsgame is 60fps on series x :confused:

I don't think most of them are locked 60? I was in the middle of playing Sekiro when I got my Series X and it was no doubt a huge upgrade, but I still remember the odd chug. Elden Ring definitely dropped some frames here and there on the series X too. Let's not even get into the Jedi games lol.

Might just be my imagination, but I've played through all 3 souls games, ER, Sekiro since the series X launched and Lies of P feels like it has the most consistently smooth performance.

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes

univbee posted:

multi-gig updates that you didn't have to cut a cheque to Sony for.

Sony also charged for patches, every platform did. You were paying for the certification time effectively.

FlamingLiberal posted:

The Series S hardware is the same generation at the X, and provides identical features. It just has a lower clocked GPU and slightly less RAM.

Rocket Pan fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Sep 19, 2023

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Rocket Pan posted:

Sony also charged for patches, every platform did. You were paying for the certification time effectively.

The Series S hardware is the same generation at the X, and provides identical features. It just has a lower clocked GPU and slightly less RAM.
Yeah it sure does, the Xbox One X

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

Hulk Krogan posted:

Played Lies of P up through where the demo ended and I think I'm going to be playing a lot of this. Seems like they widened the parry windows a bit, which makes it feel much better. The weapon crafting system seems really cool and I can't wait to get more gear so I can really dive into it.

Playing a soulslike at 60fps i for once is also really nice. My biggest gripe so far is that you have to teleport back to your central hub area to level up. But sure why you can't just do it at any bonfire.

I enjoyed the demo a lot, but the main boss kept kicking my rear end. I'm sure if I spent more time on him, I could figure the pattern out.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Rocket Pan posted:

The Series S hardware is the same generation at the X, and provides identical features.

No longer the case, MS blinked because they wouldn’t get BG3 at all otherwise.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
He said hardware. R > C > P before you try to correct an actual dev bitch!

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes
Indeed I meant hardware. The features on the chip and OS. Developing between the Series S and X is simply a case of performance scaling, they are fully API compatible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1703996755560546707