Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

rotor posted:

people have started including the cash value of like their health insurance and poo poo in total comp figures and i need it to stop

One recruiter recently tried to entice me by pricing paid overtime into a comp package

"You can work and make as much as you want! 4 more hours a week gets you 10% more a year!"

She went cold when I asked if I could charge triple for overtime

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

rotor posted:

people have started including the cash value of like their health insurance and poo poo in total comp figures and i need it to stop

Afaict this started with 3rd tier orgs trying to use their worse benefit packages to try to well actually people into thinking they paid more than they do.

My response to this sort of thing is usually, "oh if you're including medical coverage, then here's the details of mine; it's the best plan offered and the cost is fully covered by my employer -- please add in the difference in worst case medical costs as salary"

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

rotor posted:

this isn’t the north american hell world thread

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

rotor posted:

poo poo i'm like 80% there

the most relevant part itt:

quote:

(11) General Interference with Organizations and Production

(a) Organizations and Conferences

(1) Insist on doing everything through “channels.” Never permit short-cuts to be taken in order to expedite decisions.
(2) Make “speeches.” Talk as frequently as possible and at great length. Illustrate your “points” by long anecdotes and accounts of personal experiences. Never hesitate to make a few appropriate “patriotic” comments.
(3) When possible, refer all matters to committees, for “further study and consideration.” Attempt to make the committees as large as possible—never less than five.
(4) Bring up irrelevant issues as frequently as possible.
(5) Haggle over precise wordings of communications, minutes, resolutions.
(6) Refer back to matters decided upon at the last meeting and attempt to re-open the question of the advisability of that decision.
(7) Advocate “caution.” Be “reasonable” and urge your fellow-conferees to be “reasonable” and avoid haste which might result in embarrassments or difficulties later on.
(8) Be worried about the propriety of any decision—raise the question of whether such action as is contemplated lies within the jurisdiction of the group or whether it might conflict with the policy of some higher echelon.

(b) Managers and Supervisors

(1) Demand written orders.
(2) “Misunderstand” orders. Ask endless questions or engage in long correspondence about such orders. Quibble over them when you can.
(3) Do everything possible to delay the delivery of orders. Even though parts of an order may be ready beforehand, don’t deliver it until it is completely ready.
(6) In making work assignments, always sign out the unimportant jobs first. See that the important jobs are assigned to inefficient workers of poor machines.
(7) Insist on perfect work in relatively unimportant products; send back for refinishing those which have the least flaw. Approve other defective parts whose flaws are not visible to the naked eye.
(9) When training new workers, give incomplete or misleading instructions.
(10) To lower morale and with it, production, be pleasant to inefficient workers; give them undeserved promotions. Discriminate against efficient workers; complain unjustly about their work.
(11) Hold conferences when there is more critical work to be done.
(12) Multiply paper work in plausible ways. Start duplicate files.
(13) Multiply the procedures and clearances involved in issuing instructions, pay checks, and so on. See that three people have to approve everything where one would do.
(14) Apply all regulations to the last letter.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Sep 15, 2023

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

I always got the feeling the author was venting a bit when they wrote that guide

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
i personally wouldnt mind working for faang but ive also set myself up as peter gibbons and have no intention to change it.

i think i could swing it.

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

ADINSX posted:

I always got the feeling the author was venting a bit when they wrote that guide

indeed, parts of it do describe places i have worked in the past / present

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

i had a company tell me very proudly they had a bonus for people who didn't use any sick days and i immediately noped out of there. in switzerland i don't even know if that's legal

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
downside of jumping to a smaller shop is that I work a lot more for half of the pay

upside I don’t hate every waking moment I’m at work

Its a Rolex
Jan 23, 2023

Hey, posting is posting. You emptyquote, I turn my monitor on; what's the difference?
I had a phone screen last week where the interviewer asked me what my salary expectations were, at least "ballpark." I told him I couldn't give a number without knowing responsibilities/expectations/equity comp/benefits/etc, and he continued to push that he needed a number. I said a number, and I suspect that it was too high for this position.

That was okay in that case, it's a Series A startup that I was okay walking away from by the end of our conversation.

But I have a phone screen this week for a position that I DO want (barring red flags in the process). I don't know the right way to navigate that question should it come up again. This job is much more established (post-IPO quite successfully), so I think the number I gave before would be within range. I'm mostly interested in how to deal with a recruiter being pushy about not saying a number first. For a more established job, is it kosher to ask for a salary band for the level they're hiring you at?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
say "competitive". never say a number or even a range, pretend you lost the ability to use numbers

counterplays by recruiter. often they say they need to put in a number in the application tracker. tell em to put in 0 and we discuss it later.

awkward silence also a play. just be ok w the awkward silence.

if you need synonyms you say "market." or you say "i appreciate we know the market in this geography" or other i-forgot-how-to-say-numbers stuff

you can ask for their range at the asking and run with that, too, often

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Sep 18, 2023

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

you can also refuse to even talk to anyone who doesn't post a realistic salary range and tell the recruiters as much

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
another good delaying tactic is to say youre more interested in total compensation (equity, 401k match, pto, benefits, etc.) so you dont really have a plain salary number in mind, and besides, we can have this discussion once weve detemined if im a good fit or not for this position

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

FMguru posted:

another good delaying tactic is to say youre more interested in total compensation (equity, 401k match, pto, benefits, etc.) so you dont really have a plain salary number in mind, and besides, we can have this discussion once weve detemined if im a good fit or not for this position

I haven't had time to review recent salary data for the role and location, but I'm sure your number will be competitive.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

leper khan posted:

I haven't had time to review recent salary data for the role and location, but I'm sure your number will be competitive.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

leper khan posted:

good one

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

if they are really pushy you can directly say "I'm not going to say a specific number at this stage." Wrap it with stuff about wanting something competitive, considering total comp, we can discuss it later, etc., but you can be absolutely certain the person asking knows why it is against your interests to say a number, and explicitly saying "I'm not going to discuss that at this stage" is a clear signal to them that you also know.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
yeah and like, if they hard-stop the process there then that also tells you everything you need to know about what their ultimate offer is going to look like

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

it takes some confidence though. like, while they _probably_ won't hard-stop on that it is a possibility. i'm at a stage in my career now where that risk is worth it for me, but if i were at a different stage of my career, or currently unemployed and desperate to get some incoming money to pay the mortgage, it'd probably be a different story

after all, even if you gently caress up negotiations, you can always just keep interviewing (with the confidence to take a hard line) and bail when something better comes along

in general at large orgs, the recruiter being a dumbass has little to no bearing on the dumbassery that you will encounter in your day to day employment. this can be either a good thing or a bad thing

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i remember when i was talking to the amazon comp lady (who was separate from my recruiter) and i'd stupidly told them how much i made. because they asked how much i made. and she was like "ah it says here you're looking for $160k" and i literally laughed at her. i think that was a pretty good recovery from my previous blunder, and the amazon offer did its job of serving as a backstop to get google to stop being stingy as hell (their initial offer was _so bad_)

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Its a Rolex posted:

I had a phone screen last week where the interviewer asked me what my salary expectations were, at least "ballpark." I told him I couldn't give a number without knowing responsibilities/expectations/equity comp/benefits/etc, and he continued to push that he needed a number. I said a number, and I suspect that it was too high for this position.

That was okay in that case, it's a Series A startup that I was okay walking away from by the end of our conversation.

But I have a phone screen this week for a position that I DO want (barring red flags in the process). I don't know the right way to navigate that question should it come up again. This job is much more established (post-IPO quite successfully), so I think the number I gave before would be within range. I'm mostly interested in how to deal with a recruiter being pushy about not saying a number first. For a more established job, is it kosher to ask for a salary band for the level they're hiring you at?
Speaking from experience, there's no right answer; they want you to lowball yourself.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

edit: double post

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Achmed Jones posted:

after all, even if you gently caress up negotiations, you can always just keep interviewing (with the confidence to take a hard line) and bail when something better comes along
this is a big part of why jobhunting when you have a job is like playing a video game on easy mode - the ability to walk away or stand firm whenever someone tries to lowball you. you can just shrug, say thank you for your time, and hang up the phone, and they know that. batna ftw

Its a Rolex
Jan 23, 2023

Hey, posting is posting. You emptyquote, I turn my monitor on; what's the difference?
Thanks goons. I'll try to firmly defer if push comes to shove. I have the benefit of being in a job right now and it's safe for another year, but I really hate this place + the uncertainty, and the new gig is both a staff role and somewhere doing work similar to what I studied in grad school.

Worst case I keep up my current gig and keep looking

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

leper khan posted:

100%. if they still press it after this ask them what their budget is for the role since they’re so concerned about it. say you’re fine with moving forwards but if it’s really that much of an issue they’ll need to put up first. if they STILL push you then 99% odds are this is a place you want to avoid so, ‘i understand. give me a call when the team has a budget set aside. have a good day’ *click*

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

it’s absolutely ridiculous that they aren’t legally obligated to post a range that isn’t 0-999,999 and it wastes millions of worker hours a year doing that stupid loving dance routine

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

it’s absolutely ridiculous that they aren’t legally obligated to post a range that isn’t 0-999,999 and it wastes millions of worker hours a year doing that stupid loving dance routine
if the job listing is playing stupid gently caress-gently caress games with the salary range i just assume the actual salary is too embarrassingly low to mention and skip past it

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Some states require a range so for remote jobs you'd often see things like "if in colorado, the compensation range for this position is _____"

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

“so if i was in Colorado, about how much would you say this position paid?”

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
should I gather from this conversation that the job market has turned and we are telling recruiters to get bent again?

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i wouldn't tell a recruiter to get bent if i were jobless. google just slashed their recruiting org, make of that what you will.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

one of my best salary negotiation moves was to go “I’m also interviewing with 2 other companies, so I’m waiting to see what they offer before stating a strict expectation”. At that point they’re no longer negotiating with me, they’re negotiating with what other employers pay.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Achmed Jones posted:

i wouldn't tell a recruiter to get bent if i were jobless. google just slashed their recruiting org, make of that what you will.

recruiters are the canary in the coal mine

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

MononcQc posted:

one of my best salary negotiation moves was to go “I’m also interviewing with 2 other companies, so I’m waiting to see what they offer before stating a strict expectation”. At that point they’re no longer negotiating with me, they’re negotiating with what other employers pay.

the 2 other places dont need to exist, to be absolutely clear

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
sure helps if they do tho (hence the figgielands)

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

my god. it's full of posts
job hunt adventures:

at the beginning of august, a company expressed interest in hiring me and i reciprocated. what followed was a series of five (5) interviews with various people in the org where i mostly repeated the same information. after interview 4 i was informed that it came down to me and one other candidate. monday last they call me to schedule yet another interview, this time with the CEO himself. i confirm that i'm available on both dates they proposed, i get told that they'll confirm and get back to me and woosh, radio silence

i'm not entirely sure what happened there

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

armpit_enjoyer posted:

job hunt adventures:

at the beginning of august, a company expressed interest in hiring me and i reciprocated. what followed was a series of five (5) interviews with various people in the org where i mostly repeated the same information. after interview 4 i was informed that it came down to me and one other candidate. monday last they call me to schedule yet another interview, this time with the CEO himself. i confirm that i'm available on both dates they proposed, i get told that they'll confirm and get back to me and woosh, radio silence

i'm not entirely sure what happened there

one of two things -

The CEO just plain got busy, or

You’re their second or third string and they’re waiting for a response from #1.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

bob dobbs is dead posted:

the 2 other places dont need to exist, to be absolutely clear

they don't, but it's better if they do. Like in my case I had to travel to SV for 3 interviews and I had to get the dates aligned and travel stipends aligned so very early on all 3 companies were aware that they weren't alone in the list. I was lucky to do well in all 3 interviews and get 3 offers too, which made the strategy work great.

that being said, it may be harder to bluff right now. I don't know what the market is exactly like but I know it's very much worse than what I flew in 4-5 years ago to try that trick.

incidentally for my current gig, I did 6 interviews (3 SREs, 3 SWE) and tried a similar trick but I ended up going with the company that had a no-negotiation policy and had the lowest comp suggested, but at this point I wanted to work there, it was a job title change for something I had no official experience in, and they had the best interview process I had been through so I said gently caress it and took it. Still there more than 2.5 years later and not regretting the decision.

I got more money now but I had reached the point where I had very marginal benefits from more money and I mainly wanted a job that didn't make me feel like poo poo about what part of the industry I worked in, with good people who have good policies about what a workplace should be like.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Its a Rolex posted:

I have a phone screen this week for a position that I DO want (barring red flags in the process). I don't know the right way to navigate that question should it come up again. This job is much more established (post-IPO quite successfully), so I think the number I gave before would be within range. I'm mostly interested in how to deal with a recruiter being pushy about not saying a number first. For a more established job, is it kosher to ask for a salary band for the level they're hiring you at?

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

assuming you're in figgyland prime, or are interviewing with a company that is there (and why wouldn't you be?) they absolutely are required to tell you the range. achmed, they're also not allowed to ask what your current salary is, or if they do know, base your new salary on it, iirc.

not all recruiters know what they're doing, though. i had one recruiter refuse to answer the question, and also ask for my current comp. sent the hiring manager a nasty-gram about it, and ended up not taking the job for other reasons (they wanted to under-level me).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Raluek posted:

assuming you're in figgyland prime, or are interviewing with a company that is there (and why wouldn't you be?) they absolutely are required to tell you the range. achmed, they're also not allowed to ask what your current salary is, or if they do know, base your new salary on it, iirc.

not all recruiters know what they're doing, though. i had one recruiter refuse to answer the question, and also ask for my current comp. sent the hiring manager a nasty-gram about it, and ended up not taking the job for other reasons (they wanted to under-level me).

some companies give out ranges that are uselessly wide. if there's a statutory barrier to this they're just ignoring it.