Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
I've got the armor cap on my omni and I keep it set aside for special occasions, it's fancy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

:homebrew: :shepspends:

Flowerpot rules. Yes, you should get one

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Minotaurus Rex posted:

Is the fully loaded dynavap final form going to be preferable to a Fury Edge/Rogue though I suppose is the question? As if so I’d rather be building toward that. The Fury Edge does look pretty snazzy tho for sure

I have both and they each have their place. Edge/Rogue is great for on the go vaping, anything you might do legitimately in public. It just looks like any other vape. Dynavap is my #1 home vape though because that thing SLAPS

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

bagmonkey posted:

I have both and they each have their place. Edge/Rogue is great for on the go vaping, anything you might do legitimately in public. It just looks like any other vape. Dynavap is my #1 home vape though because that thing SLAPS
Agreed. in the last few months I've picked up both a dynavap M+ and an Airvape Legacy Pro, they're both good but they excel at different use cases. Right now I use my Dynavap most of the time, but it's nice having a battery-powered session vape and dosing capsules when the situation calls for it.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!

eddiewalker posted:

if you get the wand you don’t need the fmj. M+ kinda never benefits from the fmj because there’s already more mass in the tip.

well poo poo, thanks for the info

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

if this accounts a rockin'
don't come a knockin'
And is the wand pretty necessary for maximum dynavap enjoyment? Kinda pricey at over 100 clams

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Minotaurus Rex posted:

And is the wand pretty necessary for maximum dynavap enjoyment? Kinda pricey at over 100 clams

I haven't used the wand but I don't imagine it's gonna be some life changer for me. I've got a dab torch I use to heat up my Dyna, gets the job done super quick. Usually only need to reheat it 2-3 times, so it's NBD. I'm sure the wand would be awesome in some use cases, but for me I don't see it adding that much value

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer
The benefit of the wand is that it heats the entire Dynavap cap, whereas the OG Dynavap M w/ click cap you had to rotate ot get an even heat. The armor cap or FMJ solve for that issue so I never felt the need to drop the extra bones on the wand

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

Minotaurus Rex posted:

the wand is very nice but not essential. I would suggest starting out with just a basic single-jet butane torch lighter, spend some time learning to use the Dynavap with that, and if you find that you really do like the Dynavap but want it to be a little bit more convenient to use, then pick up a wand the next time there's a sale.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Minotaurus Rex posted:

once you realize you love the dynavap, the wand will give you the exact same perfect hit every single time hands free. and if you take it with you somewhere you've got a battery vape that will last way longer between charges than any battery vape

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Blotto_Otter posted:

the wand is very nice but not essential. I would suggest starting out with just a basic single-jet butane torch lighter, spend some time learning to use the Dynavap with that, and if you find that you really do like the Dynavap but want it to be a little bit more convenient to use, then pick up a wand the next time there's a sale.
I have a triple-jet torch, I use the FMJ M+ with the click-cap and it seems to work fine - is there a reason you recommend the single-jet?

Also, I didn't realize the wand was so pricey. I just bought some extra butane so I'm good to go for at least a little while. Is there any issue with manual heating if you're :orb: ing?

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Minotaurus Rex posted:

honestly, I've been daily driving mine for... well over a year, and the batteries are still good, and it still works like a champ

and like pg said, it's wonderfully consistent. I am horrid with the torch

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

i actually had no end of problems keeping working torch lighters around before I got the wand. they were always dying on me, even with good butane, and half of the new ones i bought turned out to be cursed in some way out of the box

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

The most important dynavap tip is to do the half chamber modification to the bowl. It's like magic. You use less weed but don't feel any less high. With the money saved over time, you can buy an iSpire wand etc.

e: Another advantage of the wand is that your caps will last longer. They wont crust up with carbonised crud, and the click lifetime seems longer.

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Sep 18, 2023

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

Jelly posted:

I have a triple-jet torch, I use the FMJ M+ with the click-cap and it seems to work fine - is there a reason you recommend the single-jet?

Also, I didn't realize the wand was so pricey. I just bought some extra butane so I'm good to go for at least a little while. Is there any issue with manual heating if you're :orb: ing?
I've read a lot of claims that it's easier to get an even and consistent heating with a single-jet, just because it allows for a little more precision in where you aim it and how much heat you deliver. I do think there is some truth to that... but a) I don't think it makes that big a difference, and b) I suspect the difference matters less with a FMJ on an M+ than it does on caps/tips with less thermal mass. If you're happy with a triple-jet, I would just keep doing what you're doing and not worry about it.

similar deal with torch vs. wand - if you're happy with how things are working with your torch, the wand is not going to revolutionize your experience. the wand makes things more convenient and consistent, but at the end of the day, either method is going to successfully heat up a little bit of weed inside of a little hunk of metal.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

fuctifino posted:

The most important dynavap tip is to do the half chamber modification to the bowl. It's like magic. You use less weed but don't feel any less high. With the money saved over time, you can buy an iSpire wand etc.

e: Another advantage of the wand is that your caps will last longer. They wont crust up with carbonised crud, and the click lifetime seems longer.

Please elaborate on the half chamber modification

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer
I've got a big single flame dab torch I use for my Dynavap and it works great, but if you want something that's more portable, the smaller 3-jet butane torches will get the job done the same as the big daddy dab torch

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Minotaurus Rex posted:

So is goon consensus that the Dynavap M+ is the way to go for a first time vaper or is there anything better in the same sort of price bracket? Love, Minotaur xx

There are a bunch of options with the dynavap that allow you to take it in different directions. Get a starter set with the little wooden case and the torch lighter to be getting on with and just have fun learning it.

I would suggest getting/repurposing any kind of small water device. Bong bubbler, whatever. A silicone adapter will mount your dynavap in any regular taper fitting. Adding water to my dynavap was a revelation.

An FMJ is useful when running it mounted so you can just heat the cap without rolling it to even out the heat.

Respect the clicks.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Snowy posted:

These are super common in nyc now

I cut them up into little pieces :)

Was that your last resort?

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Jelly posted:

well poo poo, thanks for the info

just to confuse things further I disagree.

FMJ does 2 things; extend the window of being able to draw vapor by keeping the bowl warm for longer, and making the technique for heating using a lighter/torch much simpler.

An induction wand makes the second part irrelevant by replacing the torch. An FMJ will still keep the bowl warmer for longer. Even on an M +. I've used an M, M+ and a titanium omni. all with the FMJ.

Minotaurus Rex posted:

No. its not "necessary" in the way an FMJ is. At least not at first. If you get the chance to try one out, do so. The induction heater is for when you decide you don't want to deal with butane torches anymore. That time may never come for you. OTOH you might be ripping through so much butane weekly that you decide its worth it. It isn't going to get you higher, its just a convenience thiing.

bagmonkey posted:

The benefit of the wand is that it heats the entire Dynavap cap, whereas the OG Dynavap M w/ click cap you had to rotate ot get an even heat. The armor cap or FMJ solve for that issue so I never felt the need to drop the extra bones on the wand

an induction heater does heat more evenly throughout the whole bowl than a lighter+FMJ but its marginal IMO.

Blotto_Otter posted:

This is wisdom.

The nice thing about the dynavap is its pretty cheap to try in its base form, and then if you decide you like it you can tinker and add stuff as you learn what you like/don't like.

Code Jockey posted:

honestly, I've been daily driving mine for... well over a year, and the batteries are still good, and it still works like a champ

and like pg said, it's wonderfully consistent. I am horrid with the torch

also replacement 18650 batteries are cheap and plentiful if they DO die.

Jelly posted:

Blotto_Otter posted:

I've read a lot of claims that it's easier to get an even and consistent heating with a single-jet, just because it allows for a little more precision in where you aim it and how much heat you deliver. I do think there is some truth to that... but a) I don't think it makes that big a difference, and b) I suspect the difference matters less with a FMJ on an M+ than it does on caps/tips with less thermal mass. If you're happy with a triple-jet, I would just keep doing what you're doing and not worry about it.

similar deal with torch vs. wand - if you're happy with how things are working with your torch, the wand is not going to revolutionize your experience. the wand makes things more convenient and consistent, but at the end of the day, either method is going to successfully heat up a little bit of weed inside of a little hunk of metal.

Seconding basically all this for single jet/triple jet discussion.

fuctifino posted:

Jelly posted:

they're talking about when you mount the screen half way down the bowl (look very very closely, you'll see a cut divot about half way down the bowl on the inside - dynavaps are designed to do this so its not really a "mod") this allows you to mount the filter screen half way down the bowl instead of all the way down, reducing the chamber size from 0.1g to 0.05g. I will say though - mounting the screen there can be a bit tricky.

This means that the weed is not packed up against the bottom of the bowl where the most thick metal is. The bottom of the bowl is the part that takes the longest to heat up because of all the extra mass. Incidentally this is why the M+ bowl is tapered at the base - less metal acting as a heat sink, meaning more heat actually goes into the weed at the bottom of the bowl.

Anyway, moving the weed away towards the tip prevents the bottom of the bowl from being a heat sink. This makes it possible to rip the entire 0.05g very efficiently. Nothing not quite fully cooked at the bottom of the bowl as can happen with a 0.1 bowl. Arguably, you extract more from 2x 0.05g than 1 0.1g bowl because the heat is more even and thorough.

In my opinion its beneficial, but much less so if you have an M+ because they redesigned the tip to make it easier to heat the bottom of the bowl. 0.05g rips in the M+ are still nice, but the impact isn't as noticable as with other dynavaps. If you're using a butane lighter you may find it better though. I definitely suggest it more for older style tips.

Give it a try though! You might like it and the nice thing is that the dynavap can do it either way so there's no harm in giving it a go.

Carth Dookie fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Sep 18, 2023

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

sigher posted:

Was that your last resort?

Do you know something I don’t know? It’s the cheapest option and I’ve been out of work for over three months so it’s a an easy choice.

I’m no expert on this but the fancier looking options are 5-10mg each and cost about as much as 100mg. I only use them for sleep and cut them in eight pieces. Works pretty well :)

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!

Snowy posted:

Do you know something I don’t know? It’s the cheapest option and I’ve been out of work for over three months so it’s a an easy choice.

I’m no expert on this but the fancier looking options are 5-10mg each and cost about as much as 100mg. I only use them for sleep and cut them in eight pieces. Works pretty well :)

dont sweat it thats just a lyrical riff
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2Jl27lYExU

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

:eyepop:

Oh haha ok cool!! Hey you never know, if I was eating some commonly known trash I’d want to know.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

fuctifino posted:

My flowerpot b-zero vape arrived, loving finally.... I was expecting next day delivery, but received next week instead. However, I no longer feel stressed, because wow... this thing loving rips. I changed the 3mm ruby balls to 2mm. I started at 580F, but quickly ramped it up to 600F and might take it higher, only having the head in the bowl for ~70% of the inhalation time.

But yeah, I digress... get an injector ball vape. It's like nothing I've ever used, and I loving love it. :420:

Cheers, I've been looking at that vape but I'm like, I already have a log vape that gets me perfectly high, do I need another desktop vape?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Snowy posted:

:eyepop:

Oh haha ok cool!! Hey you never know, if I was eating some commonly known trash I’d want to know.

You're solid, I'm the one with the questionable taste making that joke.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Jelly posted:

SneakyPete sells a ~$20/£20 titanium washer that sits in the dynavap chamber first that then allows you to securely place a CCD or 10mm gauze above. I cheaped out and got a 2mm and a 3mm (to make up the 5mm needed) M6 x 8mm O/D Spacers / Standoff Collars

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

fuctifino posted:

SneakyPete sells a ~$20/£20 titanium washer that sits in the dynavap chamber first that then allows you to securely place a CCD or 10mm gauze above. I cheaped out and got a 2mm and a 3mm (to make up the 5mm needed) M6 x 8mm O/D Spacers / Standoff Collars

Huh I stand corrected; there was a mod. Neat idea.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Carth Dookie posted:

Huh I stand corrected; there was a mod. Neat idea.

The 2020M and onwards also has a groove where you are meant to be able to position a CCD, but it's really tricky to keep CCDs in place. This mod makes it much easier, and also allows you to use a 10mm SS gauze instead of those overpriced screens. It also allows the tip to retain more heat too.

e2a: My shovelhead bowl arrived this morning for the Flowerpot, and it's a huge upgrade from the Elev8 bowl that the kit comes with. It seems to work great for microdosing.

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Sep 19, 2023

SE Watering
Aug 8, 2023
I have tried so many times. doctor want me to go back in. as an in-patient.

gently caress

I do not want this

but i do not know how to argue aagaint her.

I do not know what to to.

i keep trying you know, i really try to be a good person, to be a person who can exist on the outside.
I cannot do it. I keep trying though

peace out / rock on

SE Watering fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Sep 19, 2023

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Sounds heavy, stranger. I hope you’re ok

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
weed

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

eddiewalker posted:

Sounds heavy, stranger. I hope you’re ok

:same:

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

I actually think the wand is cheaper in the long run if you can front the cost, butane is a monthly expense I haven't had to worry about since getting one over a year ago. another year or so of use and it'll basically have paid for itself

TadBradley
Jan 14, 2008
I don't know what goes here.

God Hole posted:

I actually think the wand is cheaper in the long run if you can front the cost, butane is a monthly expense I haven't had to worry about since getting one over a year ago. another year or so of use and it'll basically have paid for itself

If you neither want to sink tons of money into butane OR an induction heater, might I suggest an alcohol burner and an FMJ? I posted this in one of the 20 other weed threads. I jury-rigged a ringstand-type-thing out of a long bolt and scrap wood and a clothespin to hold it at the right height.

The whole dumb setup just lives on my end table next to my weed chair. I just clip it in and it takes about 40 seconds to click. The burner uses the isopropyl alcohol I'm already buying for weed cleaning purposes, and it doesn't seem to add much to my overall Iso usage.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

JNCO BILOBA
Nov 22, 2005

That is the apocalypse vape I’m talking about.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

this is awesome and im making one immediately

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
At that point just put a whip on it and twist it off the flame when it clicks.

I love how much the dynavap looks like a rich-mans crack pipe, lol.

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Samuel L. Hacksaw posted:

At that point just put a whip on it and twist it off the flame when it clicks.

I love how much the dynavap looks like a rich-mans crack pipe, lol.

brother it totally is the rich weed man's crack pipe. there's a reason the crack pipe hasnt changed design in a long time and thats cuz its cheap and insanely effective like the Dynavap

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

My Omni is insanely decadent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
drat, I didn't realize just how premium those have gotten. Always seemed like a not so worthwhile upgrade, but now... :thunk: