Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

xzzy posted:

And the dickpic filter.

Wait is it going to delete my collection of dickpics?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
The last good phone was the 4S

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

kefkafloyd posted:

I guess the Nomad leather cases are the ones to buy now that Apple ones are gone? I had really grown attached to the green leather case for my midnight green 11 Pro Max and as far as I can tell no one is selling dyed green leather cases. I’m skeptical of FineWoven.

Belroy sells a leather case in Green that looks pretty good: https://bellroy.com/products/phone-case?color=everglade&material=leather&size=i15pro#slide-4

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Any thoughts on D-Brand cases? I'm gonna check out the new weave or whatever they call it in store but I was thinking D-Brand if I didn't like it.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

hatty posted:

What do you have against the 5S

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
OG SE actually.

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022

hatty posted:

They should make the 4/4S in a modern size except you can't hold it wrong.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

I got a bullstrap case (on clearance for $5 lol) last week and it's nice. Same design as the apple leather case and good clicky buttons

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

They should make the new SE a rerelease of the 5C.

Someone left a blue 5C at work a few months back and it was beautiful.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy

Boris Galerkin posted:

I’m gonna make so many stickers of my cats

Already did

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I just got a notification that my phone is being delivered tomorrow!

Then I logged into ups and it says Friday, oh well

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

It's a bummer Standby doesn't seem to work plugged into a car in motion. I was hoping for a more car-friendly music / podcast player with big fat buttons. Like a carplay lite.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

No way that UPS or whoever delivers the phones earlier. I always figured they may get the phone early but they'd never deliver it early.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
The most magical time of the year: people posting their tracking in the iPhone thread

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
PYF iPhone tracking status

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Did they get rid of that lock screen where it’s the colored bubbles floating around? That’s what I had set so it kept it but I can’t make a new lock screen with that screensaver anymore.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Snowy posted:

I just got a notification that my phone is being delivered tomorrow!

Then I logged into ups and it says Friday, oh well

That happens a lot. It’s street dated, but sometimes when it gets scanned into the system it briefly gives a delivery date of what it could be if not for that street date.

Apple would eliminate their bloodlines if anyone at ups let one out early.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Boris Galerkin posted:

I’m gonna make so many stickers of my cats
I only just found out you can make them sparkly! and puffy! and animated 🤩

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

TACD posted:

I only just found out you can make them sparkly! and puffy! and animated 🤩

I found the sparkle effects but how do I make them animated

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Boris Galerkin posted:

Did they get rid of that lock screen where it’s the colored bubbles floating around? That’s what I had set so it kept it but I can’t make a new lock screen with that screensaver anymore.
Extremely Apple move to spend presumably a lot of developer time to create animated wallpapers, never release any new ones or allow people to create their own, and then quietly remove them years later.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Boris Galerkin posted:

Just use a Live Photo. The "New Sticker" preview should be animated as well.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Aphrodite posted:

Mine still only has 3, and one was just taken in July.

bad news photographer goon, it only detects good photos

(the wallpaper scanner does work but it kinda sucks and rejects a lot of images for no discernible reason. for landscape stuff it seems heavily biased towards standard sky-mountains-foreground style images)

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

TACD posted:

Just use a Live Photo. The "New Sticker" preview should be animated as well.

:dance:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

xzzy posted:

bad news photographer goon, it only detects good photos

(the wallpaper scanner does work but it kinda sucks and rejects a lot of images for no discernible reason. for landscape stuff it seems heavily biased towards standard sky-mountains-foreground style images)

Yeah my one Nature photo is of Galaxy’s Edge, just a solid full immersion shot with no theme park trappings visible.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
I assume people have been complaining all day in here already about this incredibly stupid bullshit but just in case anyone wasn't aware, as far as I can tell you can't edit your Standby widgets anywhere other than while Standby is active, so if you try to pick your phone up off its stand while editing it'll cancel out, and also notifications while in Standby are enormous screen-filling deals that don't go in a list or anything and you can't access notification center from Standby because swiping is overridden for swapping between widgets and also those screen-filling notifications can interrupt editing.

Like I'unno it seems like a cool feature that probably pops on an always-on display but needs another year in the oven.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Yeah there are like no widgets that use it right now, from what I’ve seen? It’s just kind of a feature preview almost.

Aphrodite posted:

Apple would eliminate their bloodlines if anyone at ups let one out early.

I’m sure apple’s lawyers have the phrase “corruption of blood” in those contracts.

Dogen fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Sep 19, 2023

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Skeezy posted:

No way that UPS or whoever delivers the phones earlier. I always figured they may get the phone early but they'd never deliver it early.

Apple explicitly has a "do not deliver until street date" flag for UPS

the closest they can get is your local UPS warehouse until the 22nd

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Fedule posted:

I assume people have been complaining all day in here already about this incredibly stupid bullshit but just in case anyone wasn't aware, as far as I can tell you can't edit your Standby widgets anywhere other than while Standby is active, so if you try to pick your phone up off its stand while editing it'll cancel out, and also notifications while in Standby are enormous screen-filling deals that don't go in a list or anything and you can't access notification center from Standby because swiping is overridden for swapping between widgets and also those screen-filling notifications can interrupt editing.

Like I'unno it seems like a cool feature that probably pops on an always-on display but needs another year in the oven.

Yep, this was an issue during the early betas that I absolutely thought was either going to get fixed later before release, or it was buried in the settings menus somewhere I couldn't find. Absolute lmao that this is still the case.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

I honestly expect StandBy to never get another update until the inevitable HomePods with screens and then probably never get much more than that.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

njsykora posted:

They should make the new SE a rerelease of the 5C.

Someone left a blue 5C at work a few months back and it was beautiful.

My first iPhone was the 5C with the silicone case that had holes cut out in the back. I adored that phone, looked so good in person.

Rolo fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Sep 19, 2023

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

hatty posted:

Finally, a good and correct post.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Oh and there's no controls over which notifications pop up in Standby, and on iOS the push notification service is separated from the apps sending them, so as far as I can tell it is impossible to prevent eg Discord notifications that would otherwise roll harmlessly through your Notification Center or off the top of your screen from just eating your screen if people are chatting without messing with either the global notification settings or the settings in the app. loving, clown poo poo from Apple on this account.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Buff Hardback posted:

Apple explicitly has a "do not deliver until street date" flag for UPS

the closest they can get is your local UPS warehouse until the 22nd

I feel like Captain Invictus could help us here (I forgot it was at 8AM and mine arrives mid-late October sigh)

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

also if I were designing Standby it would definitely run Watch apps as widgets

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Boris Galerkin posted:

Move your phone.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Yep, this was an issue during the early betas that I absolutely thought was either going to get fixed later before release, or it was buried in the settings menus somewhere I couldn't find. Absolute lmao that this is still the case.

Yeah, I have an Anker stand/charger on my desk and a fair amount of time it's in landscape mode so Standby was an instant turn off for me.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I like how a lot of the suggested photos for my contact photo/poster are not of me.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

smackfu posted:

I like how a lot of the suggested photos for my contact photo/poster are not of me.

Sorry you found this way

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

smackfu posted:

lol I just got to this feature and yeah, roughly half of the pictures it suggests for my contact photo is not me. It’s not random though, it’s always a friend who I’m in a lot of pictures with. But it’s just weird because iOS knows who that other person is: they’re identified properly and in their own <Person> album in photos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Any suggestions for a Magsafe stand like the one in the promo? The few that I found require a circle magsafe charger which I do not have.