Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

https://twitter.com/BillTZimmerman/status/1703808454240899525

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Important to remember that Fields looked like a non-NFL quarterback for the first few weeks last season too. If history repeats itself and he remembers how to use his legs as a weapon, he should still be able to elevate his game to "below-average quarterback, but not the dirt worst" and we can focus more on how the rest of the team sucks too

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
"Entire NFL career" may be overstating it a bit for Megatron.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

oh my god

this touchdown is totally free and he took a sack :psyduck:

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

They did more RPO and designed runs last year when they learned Fields was fast. They haven't done that this year. Not much in the RPO department, I think only one designed run all year, and you just aren't going to get running lanes for your QB if you're running screens half the time.

Not a defense of Fields or anything, but the offense was clearly designed for someone like Aaron Rodgers, not a guy who can run a 4.4 40.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

xbilkis posted:

Important to remember that Fields looked like a non-NFL quarterback for the first few weeks last season too. If history repeats itself and he remembers how to use his legs as a weapon, he should still be able to elevate his game to "below-average quarterback, but not the dirt worst" and we can focus more on how the rest of the team sucks too

Yea, I'm desperately hoping they have some sort of revelation again, but I'm not counting on it.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

IcePhoenix posted:

oh my god

this touchdown is totally free and he took a sack :psyduck:

Everything old is new again

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?

WoodrowSkillson posted:

What has been different this year over the summer and then this last week has been the amount of people getting expectations wildly high. I.e. the season tickets selling out, all this kind of poo poo. Like my brother in law dropped a bunch of money on tickets later this season, and i know drat well he is gonna end up mad as hell and embarrass himself getting angry about the Lions at a family event again.

Yep, and you're probably right. I'm just not there yet. The defense sucked rear end, but even still we expected to lose to KC and win this game. We just swapped those. Now... if this is re-establishing the pattern of everything we know the Lions did, I'll probably be carrying a torch right beside you, but I just sense something is different.

WoodrowSkillson posted:

One of my fundamental frustrations with this team has been the fact that the fans will keep letting them get away with putting a terrible product on the field. People just handed over a bunch of their hard earned money to the Ford's again for tickets, jerseys, hats, and beer and the Lions went out and did the exact thing the Lions have done for decades, which is be horrendously inconsistent and lose a game they should have won. We overall looked better than the seahawks. On plays where we got pressure they looked good, and the offense was humming. Yet as usual the coach made bad choices, a number of players got hurt (can be plain bad luck or bad conditioning/training), and both the defense and offense made crucial mistakes that cost the game. Then on top of it the refs did a poo poo job, again, because no one cares if the Lions get screwed over.

The division is hot garbage so there is still no excuse not to win it and hope to the gods that they can pull out a playoff victory, but there is still a lot of work to be done on this team.

Agreed, this loss should change nothing about our chances to win this division. If they gently caress that up with all the good moves they made, the good intentions to changing the culture man this may just break fans back. A back that already looks like it has been put through a Mortal Kombat ultra move. You'd think we'd look like Mister Fantastic with how broken our fan base is, but they spent the last couple years installing some titanium brackets to knit it back together. They better not gently caress it up.

Comfortador fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Sep 18, 2023

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

Detroit just barely clears this bar with 9-7 seasons in 2016 and 2017. Their winning season last year was their 5th of this millennium.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

SKULL.GIF posted:

at least in this one there's a defender breaking towards the open receiver instead of all of them breaking away from him

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Niwrad posted:

They did more RPO and designed runs last year when they learned Fields was fast. They haven't done that this year. Not much in the RPO department, I think only one designed run all year, and you just aren't going to get running lanes for your QB if you're running screens half the time.

Not a defense of Fields or anything, but the offense was clearly designed for someone like Aaron Rodgers, not a guy who can run a 4.4 40.

This year is about finding out if Justin Fields is capable of being a franchise quarterback, when the Bears are likely going to be in a position to draft one of the top 3 QB's in a class that is highly thought of with 2 first round picks that are probably going to end up being high.

I'm sorry, if this dude with a clean pocket can't even loving throw the ball to a loving wide open receiver right infront of him, then he is answering that question pretty clearly.

Like yes, they probably could eek out more wins if they went back to the heavy QB run, playbook, but I frankly would prefer they lose these loving games if that's what they HAVE to do in order for Justin to have any sort of success.

Maybe the Bears broke him, maybe he doesn't turn into this if he ends up in a non depressing poo poo show of a franchise, maybe something clicks and he turns it around, as unlike Trubs I think he legitimately does have the potential to eventually put it all together.

But man he's in year 3, if he still needs the loving training wheels, in an offense where people are actually getting open and he's actually getting time then it might just be time....

SKULL.GIF posted:

Fields is actually more depressing, as theoretically when watching that at game speed, that screenshot is like only moment/window in that Trubisky play where he could make that throw and have it work, as the Safety is crashing down hard on 80 who's motion is stopping. Otherwise, it's decently likely it's a pick. or PBU. Unless you loving rifle that poo poo in there, which Trubisky can't do. The Trubisky one requires some small level of anticipation.

Fields is watching on that play the DB's both literally running the gently caress away from the wide open receiver, when you watch the actual play.

It's loving maddening.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Lol remember it was a pick six he was about to get sacked but because of the flag he got to run it again into another pick six

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Technically true but there were a lot of 8-8 seasons in there.

2010 11-5
2011 8-8
2012 10-6
2013 8-8

2018 13-3
2019 8-8
2020 8-8

I feel pretty dumb complaining a decade ago when lovie was coach, about how he always got a few extra wins each year once eliminated and killed our draft position over and over, but would often lose a final game when it was win and in, like against the Texans. I should have treasured those wins

Last season was a ton of fun sucking for #1 since we'd never had that experience but I can't imagine how Detroit, Houston, and Cleveland fans deal with this year in and year out

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
The only man not to have his confidence destroyed in Chicago was Sexy Rexy

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

trevorreznik posted:

The only man not to have his confidence destroyed in Chicago was Sexy Rexy

Orton was too drunk to have his confidence damaged.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
those two plays have pretty much done it for me, back to back analysis of :

play 1; fields locks onto read 1, can't see 2 somewhat open nearby guys right away OR wide open TD a beat later; instead sacks himself instead of scrambling like old
play 2; offensive call is an immediate repeat of the last play call, TB expects it, pick six

so both the QB is broken AND the playcalling/coaching is broken

this is hopeless

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

Sir, I'm going to need to see your ticket.

Dexo posted:

This year is about finding out if Justin Fields is capable of being a franchise quarterback, when the Bears are likely going to be in a position to draft one of the top 3 QB's in a class that is highly thought of with 2 first round picks that are probably going to end up being high.

I'm sorry, if this dude with a clean pocket can't even loving throw the ball to a loving wide open receiver right infront of him, then he is answering that question pretty clearly.

Like yes, they probably could eek out more wins if they went back to the heavy QB run, playbook, but I frankly would prefer they lose these loving games if that's what they HAVE to do in order for Justin to have any sort of success.

Is there any indication why, rather than naturally build off what was "working" towards the end of last year, they've just reverted back to a system Fields seems incapable of running?

It feels very telling that they're going this sink-or-swim route rather than starting with his strengths and going from there.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

If Fields is incapable of throwing to wide open receivers, go ahead and tank again rather than playing to his running speed

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.

How do you run into the defender exactly as the protection breaks down...

Weird rear end QB

Ummagumma
Jul 19, 2004
skydog

Shrimpy posted:

Is there any indication why, rather than naturally build off what was "working" towards the end of last year, they've just reverted back to a system Fields seems incapable of running?

It feels very telling that they're going this sink-or-swim route rather than starting with his strengths and going from there.

I think they want to see if Fields can handle full pro QB responsibilities since they have to make a call on his player option/starting with a new QB with their picks next year.

But yeah I think it would be good to incorporate some of what worked in their scoring streak last year to at least get him going or give the defense more to think about.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
Apropos of nothing, I was just proud of this turn of phrase that came up in the Goon Baseball Discord while we were bemoaning the state of Soldier Field and how it's a total waste of its position in the Museum Campus.

Redeye Flight — Today at 2:30 PM posted:

You can literally walk out after a Bears day game and go see things that evolved more than the Bears' offensive playcalling in the Field Museum's dioramas

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
QB School week 2 on Fields

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDSwzJwiXj8

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Okay, Bears, I have a new idea.

Trade Fields and two first round picks for Stafford.

Trust me on this, I've seen it work before.

Wollawolla
Jan 15, 2007

Are you gonna smash my skull and breathe my blood-mist?
https://twitter.com/robdemovsky/status/1703867447655416087

This will probably be a recurring theme this season.

Wollawolla fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Sep 19, 2023

ghosthorse
Dec 15, 2011

...you forget so easily...

MJeff posted:

no one should wish the Bear’s offense on Stafford

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

MJeff posted:

My God man hasn't he suffered enough?

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Ummagumma posted:

I think they want to see if Fields can handle full pro QB responsibilities since they have to make a call on his player option/starting with a new QB with their picks next year.

But yeah I think it would be good to incorporate some of what worked in their scoring streak last year to at least get him going or give the defense more to think about.

This is dumb, because the best chance to show off what Fields can or can't do is definitely not when the opposing defense knows for certain what play you are going to run because all you are calling is lovely screens.

Fields is probably a wash at this point, but goddamn the play calling isn't helping.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

sweet geek swag posted:

This is dumb, because the best chance to show off what Fields can or can't do is definitely not when the opposing defense knows for certain what play you are going to run because all you are calling is lovely screens.

Fields is probably a wash at this point, but goddamn the play calling isn't helping.

They called more than lovely screens lol, and then Fields got sacked while not throwing the ball to open recievers lol.

Like I cannot explain to you how many times there were plays to be made and Fields just like didn't take the layup.

Like Fields last year was in a position where there was no plays to be made, so I was willing to look past a bunch of holding on to the ball thinking he was just BPH, which I'm generally fine with.

This year, there are big plays to be made and he is still holding onto the ball and taking sacks.

End of the game was yeah all Getsy bad plays lol.

Dexo fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Sep 19, 2023

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1703922402206400597

aaaaaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I know he can see these guys, we see him do it when he rolls out and turns into The Guy.
So why doesn't he have it when things are easy?

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

Sir, I'm going to need to see your ticket.
Lets remember better times, Lions fans

https://twitter.com/NFL/status/1703437014710804794

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Hell division, division in Hell

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
come the gently caress on

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Bears season is over.

The Detroit bandwagon is already blowing joints.

Vikings are just warming up.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

SirPablo posted:

Bears season is over.

The Detroit bandwagon is already blowing joints.

Vikings are just warming up.

Packers have another HoF QB.

NFC North never changes.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
LOL

OF COURSE

OF COURSE

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Vikings? Addressing their O-line?

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/38433601/source-vikings-bolster-o-line-reach-deal-dalton-risner

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Where’s the lion rainbow I wanna die pic when u need it

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

images that precede unfortunate events

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

That pic does go hard tho