Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

orange juche posted:

The point is safety. Having the vehicle be multiple steps away from plowing through your garage door/wall is important for safety.

But pushing one button is slightly inconvenient to me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Having to have the key, put the car into gear, blow into the interlock, and push the pedal just isn’t enough

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003
The inability to leave most EV's in an "idling" state is really annoying when doing something like hopping out of the car for 30 seconds to check the mail. Forcing a shift into park makes sense but I need to re-select a driver profile and have the seat moving around and HVAC/carplay stopping just to let a kid out for the schoolbus or to check the mailbox. First world problems.

sanchez fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Sep 18, 2023

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

sanchez posted:

The inability to leave most EV's in an "idling" state is really annoying when doing something like hopping out of the car for 30 seconds to check the mail. Forcing a shift into park makes sense but I need to re-select a driver profile and have the seat moving around and HVAC/carplay stopping just to let a kid out for the schoolbus or to check the mailbox. First world problems.

I liked that I could just put it in P and hop out of the Leaf, hit the door lock and run a quick errand. Can do the same with the Bolt, but I have to dig the fob out of my pocket since the door lock button won't work if the car's "running".

Speaking of the Bolt and start buttons, it's very silly that when you open the door and get in, it wakes up, plays a bunch of cool welcome noises for you, pops a giant bow tie on the screen, then fucks off right back to sleep until you hit the start button. Like the "feature" was added just to impress people on dealer lots.

The ID.4 behaves identically, but you simply shift into gear to "start" the car. It's very seemless and nice, and I find myself plucking fruitlessly at the Bolt's gear shifter after I've been driving the ID.

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Time is only gonna pass you by

orange juche posted:

The point is safety. Having the vehicle be multiple steps away from plowing through your garage door/wall is important for safety.

This isn't a real safety issue in practice. Really weird thing to focus on imo, buttonless starting is clearly superior imo.

As is just leaving the car to turn it "off"

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Clip the fob to your belt loop

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Glimm posted:

As is just leaving the car to turn it "off"

Leaving the Ioniq 6 running with the key in my pocket just makes it scream at me for a few seconds.

If I still don't turn it off, it sends a notification to my phone. It won't drive anywhere without the key inside, but I have no idea if it automatically turns itself off after a while.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I'm hoping for some good siri integration with the volvo app so I can tell her to warm up the car and stuff

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

orange juche posted:

If having to hold on the brake, while shifting to drive/reverse, releasing the brake, and then stepping on the accelerator (since we're "plowing" rather than just tapping) isn't sufficient to prevent the accident, then pushing an extra start button isn't going to save you.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

I’m more confused by the people for whom having to press a button is an absolute dealbreaker.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

We have 2 kids now and are begrudgingly considering becoming a 2 car family... we had previously been considering trading our HRV, which we take on wild mountain adventures every other weekend, for a PHEV SUV that could handle my wife's commute and still handle our adventures into remote places. Anyway now we are considering getting a cheap small EV for commuting and keeping the HRV for adventures (for now, probably to be replaced with EV or PHEV some other day).

For smallest, cheapest EV that doesn't suck, afaik the short list is Bolt and Leaf... am I missing any that I should be considering (in the US)? And there's some drama I've been seeing itt about how the bolt is going to be discontinued and relaunched or something?

alnilam fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Sep 18, 2023

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Bolt is being discontinued in December and replaced with the Equinox as GM's low-end ev. Eventually a new Bolt will show up in a few years that will be built differently.

Leaf uses CHAdeMo, which is being phased out in North America.

Buy the Bolt if there's one available near you, there will still be plenty of spare parts for the next 5 years. If not try a Niro or a Kona.

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

Used Bolts are a good option, the 2017-2019s should all have new batteries in them, the basic ones go for as low as ~15k around here

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Just saw a Rivian R1S, followed a few hours later by an entire semi hauler full of new R1Ses.

I didn’t realize they were out already.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

YOLOsubmarine posted:

I’m more confused by the people for whom having to press a button is an absolute dealbreaker.

If you’re not desperate you can afford to be picky about your car purchases.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I don’t think I’d get a car without around view cam and power liftgate anymore. Those and Carplay support are my must haves.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

YOLOsubmarine posted:

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1481724767363338246?s=20

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

lol

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

My dealbreaker feature for a new vehicle is ventilated seats.

Can only get it in the korean cars as an option on lower spec cars afaik.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

alnilam posted:

We have 2 kids now and are begrudgingly considering becoming a 2 car family... we had previously been considering trading our HRV, which we take on wild mountain adventures every other weekend, for a PHEV SUV that could handle my wife's commute and still handle our adventures into remote places. Anyway now we are considering getting a cheap small EV for commuting and keeping the HRV for adventures (for now, probably to be replaced with EV or PHEV some other day).

For smallest, cheapest EV that doesn't suck, afaik the short list is Bolt and Leaf... am I missing any that I should be considering (in the US)? And there's some drama I've been seeing itt about how the bolt is going to be discontinued and relaunched or something?

I recommend taking the LEAF off your list. It kinda sucks.

A used Model 3 might be a good addition to your list. It's a polarizing company and no shame on you if you've already thought it over and decided against.

E: I own all three, AMA

cruft fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Sep 19, 2023

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

THE BIG DOG DADDY posted:

What you want turn a key to start the ignition, you loving neanderthal?

I'm in a fair amount of pain today and this was the first thing that made me laugh. Thank you.

This was the second thing that made me laugh today!

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Tiny Timbs posted:

If you’re not desperate you can afford to be picky about your car purchases.

Yes. I still think it’s silly.

lol

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

cruft posted:

I recommend taking the LEAF off your list. It kinda sucks.

A used Model 3 might be a good addition to your list. It's a polarizing company and no shame on you if you've already thought it over and decided against.

E: I own all three, AMA

Why does the leaf suck? Seems like a pragmatic econobox

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Why does the leaf suck? Seems like a pragmatic econobox

No proper thermal management for the battery. On hot days, good luck charging at speed. It also uses Chademo for the connector instead of CCS, which severely limits your charging options.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
How many people regularly charge at a public charger? We're in Pittsburgh and while you see them around random places, we've always just charged at home. The place I parked at downtown had free charging in the garage so I'd plug in there since I was in the garage all day anyway, but otherwise we just don't really have a need. I guess we could plug in for an hour at the playground, but it never seems necessary.

Like the Dunkin Donuts has a charger spot and I don't get it--is the idea you just plug in for 20 minutes for the hell of it?

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005

sanchez posted:

THe whole point of the seat moving is "easy entry/access" which if you're getting out of the car whether to check the mail or go on a 3-week vacation kinda fits that condition

I dont see the problem here

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

A Strange Aeon posted:

How many people regularly charge at a public charger? We're in Pittsburgh and while you see them around random places, we've always just charged at home. The place I parked at downtown had free charging in the garage so I'd plug in there since I was in the garage all day anyway, but otherwise we just don't really have a need. I guess we could plug in for an hour at the playground, but it never seems necessary.

Like the Dunkin Donuts has a charger spot and I don't get it--is the idea you just plug in for 20 minutes for the hell of it?

Lots of people live in apartments that don't have charging or won't allow it. When I was waiting for my charger instillation I was charging at whole foods or walgreens every week

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Lots of people live in apartments that don't have charging or won't allow it. When I was waiting for my charger instillation I was charging at whole foods or walgreens every week

It's crazy to me someone would get an EV if they couldn't charge at home given the state of the infrastructure but encouraging that so many people have and make it work somehow.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

A Strange Aeon posted:

It's crazy to me someone would get an EV if they couldn't charge at home given the state of the infrastructure but encouraging that so many people have and make it work somehow.

Lots of people cannot afford to move but need a car because America is an absolute shithole.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

need this with a side of sixer

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

If only pictures could be thread titles.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Also, people can be shockingly cheap, I work in an upscale neighborhood full of professionals and every time places like Chipotle give away food or do some sort of promotion there is like a line down the block of what are clearly professionals (Corporate badges, nice clothing) trying to save like $5 on a burrito by waiting in line for like 40 minutes.

There are 100% people charging at Whole Foods to get like $.04 of free electricity while they buy $20 of pressed juice. Dude, you work at Boston Consulting, you can afford lunch.

Three Olives fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Sep 19, 2023

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

My office used to be right next to a gas station that would lower their per gallon price by 10¢ every Thursday afternoon.

We got into the habit of going downstairs to watch people lose their damned minds over saving $1.20 on a tank of gas. Every other week there would be a collision between two people racing to get an open pump. It was insane.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

:effort:

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

with the way the housing market is, more amd more people are going to be living in apartments or rented properties too

even level 1 charging I think would go a long way to helping the issue tho, especially if you could also access that at the workplace

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

orange juche posted:

So then you should have to type in a code on a keypad to start the car, is that what you're saying

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

In the 1920s I bet some dudes would say that the electric starter makes it too easy to accidentally start an automobile, and that the hand crank is safer

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

QuarkJets posted:

So then you should have to type in a code on a keypad to start the car, is that what you're saying

I drove a mid-90s Citroën for a while, that poo poo got old fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

QuarkJets posted:

In the 1920s I bet some dudes would say that the electric starter makes it too easy to accidentally start an automobile, and that the hand crank is safer

I doubt it. It wasn't uncommon to break an arm or even lose a life hand cranking a motor.