Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

ruddiger posted:

The reveal on the raft at dawn scene in Midnight Mass bought the rest of the episodes a lot of good will.

I do really like that, and there's a lot of awesome stuff later on too. The bit where the vamp just picks up that one dude and flies off with him is really good.

But you mentioning that made me remember the very final scene of the show, and the way it builds to a genuinely horrible final line. Just a total clunker of a moment and a really poor way to finish the show.

I get what they were going for, but jeez.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

I liked the monologues in Midnight Mass :shobon:

Captain Jesus
Feb 26, 2009

What's wrong with you? You don't even have your beer goggles on!!
I like the Flanagan shows but I also kinda hate them. They are well done and corny at the same time in a way that balances both of the emotions right at their edge.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Midnight Mass is gonna be his apex no matter what.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Captain Jesus posted:

I like the Flanagan shows but I also kinda hate them. They are well done and corny at the same time in a way that balances both of the emotions right at their edge.

Yeah this is how I feel. Like... I don't consider them "good horror" (but not really a huge horror/supernatural fan for the most part). But also I don't... not enjoy them. I don't know it's weird.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
They're more like "ghost stories" than straight up horror, which is something he explicitly leaned into for Midnight Club, and that's a part I personally really like. I do think he is capable of making a pretty great Dark Tower series, though I'm sure it won't please everyone.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I think Midnight Club was effective at dealing with a pretty horrific subject. I saw a lot of comments complaining about how certain characters acted but there were always folks who’d actually been through hospice care that attested to the realism.

The stories were pretty hit-and-miss. I tuned out hard through a few of them.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

BonoMan posted:

Yeah this is how I feel. Like... I don't consider them "good horror" (but not really a huge horror/supernatural fan for the most part). But also I don't... not enjoy them. I don't know it's weird.

I'm a guy who sort of like horror, but like A24 like horror like Men, Under the Skin, and especially It Follows. Always looking for more stuff like that. Found this list that's giving me a couple ideas: https://www.denofgeek.com/movies/a24-horror-movies-ranked-best-worst/

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
Season 3 of Top Boy falls into the trap of a lot of crime dramas, where the street gang violence quickly escalates to the level of international news coverage/comment from the Prime Minister. I'm sure the number of gun deaths in the course of the week covered in the season eclipses the UK's monthly total in the real world.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Shageletic posted:

I'm a guy who sort of like horror, but like A24 like horror like Men, Under the Skin, and especially It Follows. Always looking for more stuff like that. Found this list that's giving me a couple ideas: https://www.denofgeek.com/movies/a24-horror-movies-ranked-best-worst/

you might like Significant Other, its on paramount

OrthoTrot
Dec 10, 2006
Its either Trotsky or its Notsky
I thought the monologues in Midnight Mass were fantastic. Proper "I know directors who use subtext and they're all cowards" vibe I'm really down for.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

OrthoTrot posted:

I thought the monologues in Midnight Mass were fantastic. Proper "I know directors who use subtext and they're all cowards" vibe I'm really down for.

Individually his monologues are usually good, they just get a bit overwhelming sometimes with the sheer volume of them. He just doesn't have much restraint with it, there's instances of monologues stacked on top of each other within the same episode and they have a cumulative effect that isn't really about how effective they are in a vacuum.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I can deal with monologuing if you give me good spookies in between.

Hereditary is to me the best way to do dramatic horror where the horror is fun and the drama is terrifying lol

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Basebf555 posted:

Individually his monologues are usually good, they just get a bit overwhelming sometimes with the sheer volume of them. He just doesn't have much restraint with it, there's instances of monologues stacked on top of each other within the same episode and they have a cumulative effect that isn't really about how effective they are in a vacuum.

Reminds me a bit of flashbacks.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Reminds me a bit of flashbacks.

This was Bly Manor's sin. Cool set up, great characters, way too much explaining way that came way too soon.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

im putting on Plane starring Gerard Butler. he looks pretty old dude

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
haunting of hill house was one of the few times I thought something was too “writerly.” the last ep got so overwrought I wanted a big vaudeville hook to pull a few actors away mid-speech

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Glottis posted:

They're more like "ghost stories" than straight up horror, which is something he explicitly leaned into for Midnight Club, and that's a part I personally really like. I do think he is capable of making a pretty great Dark Tower series, though I'm sure it won't please everyone.

Flanagan is always and everywhere restrained and tasteful. To pull off Dark Tower he's going to have to do the exact of opposite of his instincts in every way

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Flanagan needs to get Art the clown in one of his things when people start talking too mcuh

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

finished Plane. It starts out relatively grounded (ha) for a Gerard Butler movie and gradually ramps up the insanity. some good action sequences in the second half

Cithen
Mar 6, 2002

Pillbug

DeimosRising posted:

Flanagan is always and everywhere restrained and tasteful*. To pull off Dark Tower he's going to have to do the exact of opposite of his instincts in every way

*except in quantity and frequency of monologues

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

A MIRACLE posted:

you might like Significant Other, its on paramount

I'll check it out.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

Andor was so good about this. Limited it to 1 or 2 of the best monolpgues ever per an episode

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Shageletic posted:

It Follows is my fave horror movie of the past 10-20 years. Oh and Hereditary.

BonoMan fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Sep 19, 2023

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

The Dark Tower: Oops! All Monologues!

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

BonoMan posted:

It Follows is my fave horror movie of the past 10-20 years. Oh and Hereditary.

Hereditary is a masterpiece

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
The climax of the first dark tower book is just Walter cosmically monologuing at Roland while putting a skeleton in his clothes as a dummy for when Roland wakes up.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Does the warriors pop up on any of the major platforms often? I was looking for it but don't want an amc sub.

Wilhelm Scream
Apr 1, 2008

Kingtheninja posted:

Does the warriors pop up on any of the major platforms often? I was looking for it but don't want an amc sub.

I know it's been on both Netflix and Prime before, I think it's one of the rotating catalogue titles that gets passed around every few months

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
loved El Conde, a new Netflix movie that supposes that Pinochet (yes that one) is a 300 year old vampire that is tired of living and ready to die as his children gather to fight over his eventual inheritance. A ridiculous premise that gets more strange as it goes but with some great gore and the satire is spot on.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Skinamarink might be considered the worst honest attempt at making a horror movie I have seen. It reminds me of Battlefield Earth where the director thought that the entire movie should be Dutch angles. This is as fundamentally unsound.
The movies subjects are almost never in frame. Not even partially in frame. Its mostly just odd angle shots of nothing with pounds of film grain added.
There is audio so poorly mixed (intentionally) the movie has captions.
It starts with a statement that it had covid protocols in place to ensure the safety of the crew and actors. I could argue that that is very accurate as over the course of 130 minutes it almost has no actors and frankly evidence of a crew beyond a camera

Upsidads fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Sep 22, 2023

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.
My take on Skinamarink is that clearly the writer/director showed people his short film and supporters said “This is great! You should expand it into a feature!” But he didn’t have anything else to say, so he didn’t expand it, just EXTENDED it, making it way too long and obtuse. The mood was great, just not sustainable for 2 hours.

I also feel like some writer/directors need to learn there is such a thing as TOO open for interpretation. When your film can potentially be about anything, your film is actually about nothing.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

gently caress Amazon
Replacing current plan with same with ads next year
Pay extra for no ads

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Brocktoon posted:

My take on Saw is that clearly the writer/director showed people his short film and supporters said “This is great! You should expand it into a feature!” But he didn’t have anything else to say, so he didn’t expand it, just EXTENDED it, making it way too long and boring. The mood was great, just not sustainable for 90 minutes.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

My take on Justice League is that clearly the writer/director showed people his short film and supporters said “This is great! You should expand it into a feature!” But he didn’t have anything else to say, so he didn’t expand it, just EXTENDED it, making it way too long and boring. The mood was great, just not sustainable for 90 minutes

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.
It works for literally any movie, really.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

7 samurai was what 6 hours?

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011
we need the chris rock "bullet control" bit but for film stock. 100 feet of film should cost ten million dollars. "ah man i'd shoot this pointless flanagan monologue if i could afford it"

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
Elemental is nowhere near as bad as its reputation would suggest, but it's all over the place. It starts feeling like a cute, if derivative, allegory about emotional expression and repression, but then flips into a literal intercultural romantic comedy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

The Modern Leper posted:

Elemental is nowhere near as bad as its reputation would suggest, but it's all over the place. It starts feeling like a cute, if derivative, allegory about emotional expression and repression, but then flips into a literal intercultural romantic comedy.

That's modern Pixar for you.