Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Favourite Pokémon type?
This poll is closed.
Plain 6 3.17%
Hot 7 3.70%
Wet 15 7.94%
Green 11 5.82%
Shocking 2 1.06%
Cold 3 1.59%
Punchy 7 3.70%
Poisonous 4 2.12%
Brown 7 3.70%
Bird 11 5.82%
Weird 17 8.99%
Gross 11 5.82%
Solid 2 1.06%
Scary 8 4.23%
Dragon 5 2.65%
Creepy 18 9.52%
Mech 33 17.46%
Pink 22 11.64%
Total: 189 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

in this universe puppets are automatons who have their own version of the asimov's laws of robotics, the first being that a puppet cannot lie

but we are a special puppet who can lie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

More importantly, you can duct tape the handle of any weapon to the head of any other weapon and it rules.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

It's kind of impressive how the Pinocchio Bloodborne game gets dumber with every sentence about it. You'd think the phrase "Pinocchio Bloodborne" would cap it off but it doesn't.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The loading screen caption is “Now lying…” and the progress bar is his nose growing

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

RBA Starblade posted:

It's kind of impressive how the Pinocchio Bloodborne game gets dumber with every sentence about it. You'd think the phrase "Pinocchio Bloodborne" would cap it off but it doesn't.

And its apparently good(!?) Maybe?!?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

haveblue posted:

The loading screen caption is “Now lying…” and the progress bar is his nose growing

See, I don't even know if you're just goofin' or not

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Pauly Shore voice mod when

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I think the biggest Lie in Lies Of P is presenting the greatsword at the start as your "heavy weapon" option when it does the same amount of damage but somehow feels stubbier than the faster more nimble puppet cutlass; it offers no advantage over the other 2 weapons at the start. Once I started over with the other sword the game felt 100% better. Also I managed to make the "every loving enemy follows you til the end of time" thing work for me when I kited a miniboss all the way to an elevated platform he couldn't climb up, and chucked electric blitz grenades at him 5 times to kill him lol.

Game has a weird identity crisis though trying to decide if it's Sekiro or Bloodborne. Has a rally mechanic but only when you block poo poo, which doesnt seem as good as Bloodborne's straight-up mitigation from any attack. And there's a kind of "posture" thing you want to break on enemies and then use a charged attack to pretty much execute them.

Owl Inspector posted:

Does Lies of Pee have boss runbacks and how bad are they if so

I will say, the shortcuts and checkpoints in this game are quite good, they feel like they're where you would expect them to be, if that makes sense.

Game def feels better with the lighter weapon but your puppetboy still doesn't feel anywhere as fluid or nimble as Bloodborne Hunter.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

RBA Starblade posted:

See, I don't even know if you're just goofin' or not

everything people have said about the game is true, and it rules

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
LIE OR DIE

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

American McGee has to be fuming right now. If only he could’ve imagined Dorothy parrying a munchkin he would’ve been a hero

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I haven't lied enough but hopefully your character's nose gets longer and longer like Venom Snake's shrapnel horn

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

It also has literally the only good weapon durability mechanic in history.

Weapons break fairly quickly, but you have a grinder built into your arm that you hold down to repair it so it's another thing to be aware of and in downtime when the bosses aren't attacking you it's badass as hell to just hold up your weapon to your arm and see the sparks flying everywhere as you repair it.

Enemies also have weapon durability but they do not have a way to repair it, so if you perfect guard enemies enough their weapons shatter and their attacks get completely gimped. Even boss fights.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

SirSamVimes posted:

Weapons break fairly quickly, but you have a grinder built into your arm that you hold down to repair it so it's another thing to be aware of and in downtime when the bosses aren't attacking you it's badass as hell to just hold up your weapon to your arm and see the sparks flying everywhere as you repair it.

Enemies also have weapon durability but they do not have a way to repair it, so if you perfect guard enemies enough their weapons shatter and their attacks get completely gimped. Even boss fights.

was about to say I disagree hard because I did not see the point in shoving the need to sometimes grind my sword on my whetstone elbow but if that boss weapon factoid is true that legit owns hard

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

SirSamVimes posted:

This sounds like sharpness from monster hunter basically which is a way better mechanic than anything else that gets associated with the concept of durability

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

DLC Inc posted:

was about to say I disagree hard because I did not see the point in shoving the need to sometimes grind my sword on my whetstone elbow but if that boss weapon factoid is true that legit owns hard

I broke the first and second boss weapons this time around. Third boss just has fists, so nothing to break there.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

SirSamVimes posted:

I broke the first and second boss weapons this time around. Third boss just has fists, so nothing to break there.

quitter talk

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

A bottomless curse, a bottomless sea,
Accepting of all liars there are and can be

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

MechaSeinfeld posted:

American McGee has to be fuming right now. If only he could’ve imagined Dorothy parrying a munchkin he would’ve been a hero

Oh buddy, wait until you see the post credits screen of Lies of P.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

AceOfFlames posted:

alright now i HAVE to play this game

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

AceOfFlames posted:

https://youtu.be/YZAQBG4Qbt8?si=wny2pjvgw2qnKTji

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I will buy and play the puppet game

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

If the demo is still up now that the full game's out, highly recommend downloading that. It has the tutorial and first zone and gives a good impression of what the game feels like.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

(i'm reposting this from chickenheart's twitter and no one can stop me)

https://twitter.com/ManuelaXibanya/status/1703855244851961991

(oh god, if you use the "copy link" button on twitter it gives you the url as x.com instead of twitter.com and it doesn't embed)

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Kerrzhe posted:

(oh god, if you use the "copy link" button on twitter it gives you the url as x.com instead of twitter.com and it doesn't embed)

auto-filter all instances of "x" to "twitter"

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i'm surprised mk11 even went with real-time cutscenes on switch and didn't just use FMV even if it had to be artifacty to fit on cart

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I agree, that's an etwittercellent idea.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

AceOfFlames posted:

No way

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

The admins need to get cracking on enabling embeds from the other twitter parachute sites out there

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

Lowtax visited in my dreams to tell me so

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
went from dave the diver to lies of p, both games i was not expecting to have come from a korean studio

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Is Lies Of P a good PC port?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I beat the second part of Inscryption........

NOT AGAAAAAIN!

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Waffleman_ posted:

I beat the second part of Inscryption........

NOT AGAAAAAIN!

Lies of P amirite

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Hwurmp posted:

Lies of P amirite

lies of p03

edit: that's probably :thejoke:

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

[url=https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3876906]

ymgve posted:

Is Lies Of P a good PC port?

Yes. I'm getting a steady 60fps on ultra settings with a 2070S

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

SirSamVimes posted:

lies of p03

edit: that's probably :thejoke:

Lesh of Y

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I tried out 3 ways of playing Warcraft 2 and they all feel basically the same. The weirdest one is Wargus that looks right except for weird neon green overlays showing unit pathing. Didn't seem like any actually added the main thing I actually wanted, keybinds so I could move map with WASD instead of edge scroll or arrow keys.

I got several missions into the Orc campaign before remembering why I usually stalled out. A lot of missions where you just slowly build up economy to steamroll over all the crap the AI started with, usually down to the last unit. Had one mission where I ended up using a map chest to find the one missing ship in the middle of nowhere, away from anything else on the map or enemy team.

So I looked up a Speedrun to see if that was more fun and then try my own clumsy attempt at it and a lot of them have been. If I mess up so just roll with it since it's usually still a better start than normal.

The main thing the speedruns highlighted for me was the problem with their mission design, so many maps start you off with a small army but no farms or supply. It's actually pretty easy to get in a situation where you can't build a base at all if you aren't careful with your starting gold.

Many missions the only really speedrun trick is to kill off your own units or let the enemy do it because if you don't, you'll have 3 peons slowly gathering and building 6 farms before you can build your fourth peon. "A good economy" is essentially constantly building peons so if you can't build any for 15 minutes it really drags missions down.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Queering Wheel posted:

Yes. I'm getting a steady 60fps on ultra settings with a 2070S
Yeah it runs extremely well. I'm getting like 90-100 fps on ultra on a 3070 Ti at 1440p ultrawide with no DLSS, which is a drat miracle after the last several major game releases made me feel like I have a potato GPU. Only complaint is that the HDR seems to be busted - it doesn't get any brighter than SDR for me. I used SpecialK to manually increase the brightness and it made it look a lot better on my OLED.

Gameplay wise I'm really enjoying it, even if the animations aren't as polished as From's (but whose are?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.

SirSamVimes posted:

This owns so hard, I've already done it to a few bosses at the start. Also the weapon handle that makes the perfect parry window PS5 huge has definitely been helping my terrible reactive rear end. I like this game so far.