Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ELTON JOHN
Feb 17, 2014

Flakey posted:

Don't worry, they only have to deal with the dying part, which everyone else also does, so they don't have it especially bad.

iirc, one common method of killing them is swinging them by their tentacles and beating them against a rock

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

They're usually spear-fished. The whacking against a rock is a way to tenderize them after the catch.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

maybe in a few million years the ones living in Octopolis and Octlantis will form a functioning society with generational information sharing.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Remembering reading an article a while back that octopus might actually be capable of dreaming and also having nightmares.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Cooked Auto posted:

Remembering reading an article a while back that octopus might actually be capable of dreaming and also having nightmares.

That's two things they share with fishermen's wives

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Cooked Auto posted:

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

ELTON JOHN posted:

iirc, one common method of killing them is swinging them by their tentacles and beating them against a rock

I saw a video featuring a spearfisherman and her go to method of killing an octopus she'd caught was to straight up bite its brain

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXsVKqDXrZE

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

All 9 of 'em?

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

Cocaine Bear posted:

First animals I stopped eating were squid and octocs. Too smart. Stopped eating pig because I heard they cum for 20 mins straight and I just respect.

I don't think the squid we eat are particularly smart. The bigger ones, sure.

Shaking lemur butt
Jan 5, 2015

:haw: :v: :ohdear: :cool:

Nuevo posted:

I don't think the squid we eat are particularly smart. The bigger ones, sure.

This one got a human to help it hunt though, which seems pretty smart https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GdCOYToDqfM

I don't know which ones humans typically eat though.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Shaking lemur butt posted:

This one got a human to help it hunt though, which seems pretty smart https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GdCOYToDqfM

I don't know which ones humans typically eat though.

love how the octopus goes like "oh its that one with the garbage tentacles"

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Biplane posted:

Octopus are so cool, it bums me out so hard theyre so smart and have to deal with humans eating them :smith:

They're cannibals, so eating octopi is fine by their ethics.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGaO9SBnFWE

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

The expressions of dissent and art from the women’s protests in Iran – in pictures

Red paint was poured over a wall featuring a mural of Iran’s leaders, who are seen as dictators, in Tehran by an unknown protester on 15 November 2022.

The Smarties, a project by Shiva Khademi, documents the women of Tehran whose hair represents the freedom they are willing to fight for. Marjan, born in 1995 in Tehran, said: ‘I always change my identity at the exact moment I begin to feel empty.’

A poster by Roshi Rouzbehani called My Hair is Not Your Battle Ground and reading ‘woman, life, freedom’ was inspired by the young Iranian women who cut their hair during the protests, which is usually a symbolic gesture of mourning.

Claeaus
Mar 29, 2010

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

The vast majority of squids and octopus live maybe 2-3 years tops, and the ones typically caught for food not even a year sometimes.

I find this together with their intelligence such a strange mix. It feels like something as smart as an octopus should also have a longer lifespan.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Need to figure out agriculture first then diversify between pottery and ceremonial burial.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
free surfboard!
https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_s0xd76s83H1uk10e9.mp4

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:

that's long but you get rewarded with a dolphin

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Surf City
Two boards for every boy!

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Gallery of San Franciscos 90's lesbian scene

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Classy as all get out.:sparkles:

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Can't tell if regular truck or U-Haul.

SwissDonkey
Mar 29, 2007

Everyone loves this video but the surfboard thief is an enormous fuckin jackass. He bombs this dudes wave, get in his way, shoves him, then literally rips the surfboard from under his feet leaving him stranded offshore with no floatation while the chucklefuck takes his board back to shore.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

SwissDonkey posted:

Everyone loves this video but the surfboard thief is an enormous fuckin jackass. He bombs this dudes wave, get in his way, shoves him, then literally rips the surfboard from under his feet leaving him stranded offshore with no floatation while the chucklefuck takes his board back to shore.

Did you watch the same video I did because the guy who lost his board dropped in on the guy who took it. Dude also appears to not have a leash on his board so he's either very used to swimming back to shore or was soon going to get a lesson in that anyway.

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

That dude is a bully. Imagine someone doing that with another person's snowboard, skis, bike, or skateboard for the grievous offense of not seeing a person speeding up behind them-- they would end up bleeding out in the parking lot on day one. I know surfing has its own cultural norms but gently caress that guy.

SwissDonkey
Mar 29, 2007

Inceltown posted:

Did you watch the same video I did because the guy who lost his board dropped in on the guy who took it. Dude also appears to not have a leash on his board so he's either very used to swimming back to shore or was soon going to get a lesson in that anyway.

My man was literally in coming out of the green room when the flog stole his board (edit: actually you may be right, the video is cut too short at the start), it was his wave. With the speed of that wave and old mate holding the board, I think the leash ripped.

Edit2: And yeah as above, my sport is MTB. The more immediate stakes conjure a different etiquette.

SwissDonkey has a new favorite as of 12:47 on Sep 15, 2023

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Can't tell if regular truck or U-Haul.

Obviously they were out with all their worldly possessions to make moving in easier

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Pissed Ape Sexist posted:

That dude is a bully. Imagine someone doing that with another person's snowboard, skis, bike, or skateboard for the grievous offense of not seeing a person speeding up behind them-- they would end up bleeding out in the parking lot on day one. I know surfing has its own cultural norms but gently caress that guy.

A variation on that:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ky0MV-UKjfE

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Pissed Ape Sexist posted:

Don't harsh my gnarl and we won't have any qualms brah

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

RCarr posted:

Don't harsh my gnarl and we won't have any qualms brah

like boosh whaaa totaLLY BOOSH

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Carthag Tuek posted:

like boosh whaaa totaLLY BOOSH

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

SwissDonkey posted:

My man was literally in coming out of the green room when the flog stole his board (edit: actually you may be right, the video is cut too short at the start), it was his wave. With the speed of that wave and old mate holding the board, I think the leash ripped.

Edit2: And yeah as above, my sport is MTB. The more immediate stakes conjure a different etiquette.

Oh yah total fuckin beater, bro, what a stroke, fuckin jerries makin bogus traffic and boofin the good lines

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

I just noticed Mac losing it badly, as usual. God he's funny

waffleman
Aug 5, 2007

HAPPY INDEPENDENCE DAY
it really ties the nation together

SwissDonkey posted:

The guy stealing the board is the other guys cousin and coach. They're both pro surfers.

https://beachgrit.com/2022/02/wild-...board-mid-wave/

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:
how DARE cousin turn against cousin and instigate such surf violence??? ban them both from the waves

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Me and my cousin's surfboard against my cousin

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Lazy_Liberal posted:

how DARE cousin turn against cousin and instigate such surf violence??? ban them both from the waves

This is how the beaches become battlefields.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_s18w1e3G4q1uk10e9.mp4

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

loving *wow*. No joke, that is the most badass thing I've seen in this thread, in ages and pages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH
I like that the seemingly final deterrence for the jaguar was the embarrassment of realizing it was being filmed