Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ

anime was right posted:

trumps only skill is reading the room but he might genuinely be the best person at it

he just says random poo poo and if it gets cheers he just turns that into his policy bc he keeps getting cheers for saying the only thing. he is a validation golem.

if trump sees an opportunity for people to say how great trump is, hes loving taking it.

He hates workers and unions and weakend them but he’s reading the room :ok:

The only reason he’s doing it is because of the recent articles that came out where union workers torched Trump and Biden (mostly Biden). They’re mostly bigots who think Trump somehow saved them from those horrible immigrants taking their jobs when in reality trumps “deals” hosed them over more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Notably the people being derogatory toward trump for the auto workers move aren't doing much themselves, before or after.

So really it's a case if how dare that guy score brownie points with some people we aren't interested in reaching out to.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

networking works when it just means getting along with colleagues who then reach out about jobs etc. when they move onto other departments/companies.

mid to late career onwards, applying for a job online is asking for a bad time versus having someone in the hiring team vouch for you.

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

Nothing wrong with staying after work if the company is providing free wine/booze and letting people just shoot the poo poo and there’s zero pressure to stick around.

PMC people in my experience are unbearably boring and I’d rather spend time with my actual friends so I usually down some free drinks and gently caress off within 15 minutes.

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

Glumwheels posted:

He hates workers and unions and weakend them but he’s reading the room :ok:

The only reason he’s doing it is because of the recent articles that came out where union workers torched Trump and Biden (mostly Biden). They’re mostly bigots who think Trump somehow saved them from those horrible immigrants taking their jobs when in reality trumps “deals” hosed them over more.

you got it op they're all massive chuds

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Spaced God posted:

As a new twenty something who just started his career lmao at the idea of hanging out with people from work. I straight up don't comprehend how you make friends at work

You find the people who hate the same poo poo about you job that you do and you bitch about it together

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

HallelujahLee posted:

you got it op they're all massive chuds

No they have economic anxiety lmfao

https://twitter.com/JStein_WaPo/status/1703908501720842730

Trump, pro worker and union like we don’t know what he did for 4 years. Some of you are either chuds or have brain worms too.

Jon Pod Van Damm
Apr 6, 2009

THE POSSESSION OF WEALTH IS IN AND OF ITSELF A SIGN OF POOR VIRTUE. AS SUCH:
1 NEVER TRUST ANY RICH PERSON.
2 NEVER HIRE ANY RICH PERSON.
BY RULE 1, IT IS APPROPRIATE TO PRESUME THAT ALL DEGREES AND CREDENTIALS HELD BY A WEALTHY PERSON ARE FRAUDULENT. THIS JUSTIFIES RULE 2--RULE 1 NEEDS NO JUSTIFIC

Absence Makes The Heart Grow Fonder
Why Americans need several 2-week and 4-week paid vacations every year to get the time to miss their coworkers. The only way to get people back into the office is to first let them out of the office.

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

Glumwheels posted:

No they have economic anxiety lmfao

https://twitter.com/JStein_WaPo/status/1703908501720842730

Trump, pro worker and union like we don’t know what he did for 4 years. Some of you are either chuds or have brain worms too.

other than the nlrb the biden admin has literally done the same thing including crushing a strike but yes were all chuds, also no-one is saying hes pro-worker or whatever your making up

chuds everywhere

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

The local kissass got an internship to audit everyone's stuff and now all she does is snitch on people all day. She's taken time in our all hands meeting to say "you need to respond to my emails", so it's going well

They're currently doing a birthday card & gift for our boss (something they don't do for literally anyone else)

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

lmao at the libs making GBS threads their pants over trump speechifying to the UAW.

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

whats funny is someone in the succ thread predicted morons would immediately call the uaw workers chuds or whatever if they even so much as entertain trump showing up despite none of them even wanting him or weimar joe there

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Jeff Stein: Trump "tried gutting Medicaid & the ACA"

Voters: He gave us free no questions asked Medicaid for the first time ever & got rid of the tax penalty for not having private insurance.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Stein: So it's understandable the WH may be frustrated by the Q, "So is Biden going?"

lmao

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

willa is a chud

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

TURMP!

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

HallelujahLee posted:

willa is a chud

So they say.

I was just thinking about how easy it'd be to be a gop strategist for trump & tried thinking the same about biden & came up empty--just as his paid strategists have.

Dixon Chisholm
Jan 2, 2020

HallelujahLee posted:

whats funny is someone in the succ thread predicted morons would immediately call the uaw workers chuds or whatever if they even so much as entertain trump showing up despite none of them even wanting him or weimar joe there

hootington, and he was 1000% right. unions are now chuds

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

HallelujahLee posted:

willa is a chud

this is untrue and I won’t stand for comments like this on Willa’s terf

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

Willa Rogers posted:

So they say.

I was just thinking about how easy it'd be to be a gop strategist for trump & tried thinking the same about biden & came up empty--just as his paid strategists have.

a corpse cant receive any real strategy

Dixon Chisholm posted:

hootington, and he was 1000% right. unions are now chuds

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Anything that isn't gaslighting voters or scolding them for not being joyful at the prospect of reelecting Joe Biden is an unfair advantage.

Dixon Chisholm
Jan 2, 2020

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

shut up tagnut, shes a chud and thats why we love her

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

unsubscribe

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

then he should just fuckin' go. i dont understand why this is an issue other than biden being afraid of being seen as pro-union

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

The dems are very coordinated in echoing the talking points that have been distributed to them but the talking points are weaksauce & it just makes them all look like idiots.

Anyway, here's some econ news courtesy of the latimes: millennials are building ADUs in their parents' yards bc that's one of the few ways they can afford to own in l.a.:

quote:

Millennials and Gen Z can’t afford homes. Is this prefab ADU a solution?

On a quiet cul de sac in suburban Los Angeles, the installation of Martin Guevara and Grace Kuo’s prefab accessory dwelling unit, or ADU, caused quite a stir in the neighborhood.

“It was like a block party,” said Guevara, 68. “All of our neighbors came out to watch.”

Guevara was referring to a prefab ADU designed and built by Villa Homes; the 850-square-foot home was craned over the couple’s existing home and placed into position in their backyard in the South Bay last year.

“It was in two halves,” said his daughter Melanie Guevara, 33, who lives in the ADU behind her childhood home with husband Devon Hollowood, 34. “It was already outfitted, including the appliances.”

“We were thinking, ‘Please don’t drop our house,’” Hollowood said with a laugh.

Like many people who chose to pack up and move during the COVID-19 pandemic, the couple were living in a rental house in Hawaii for three months with Melanie’s brother and his girlfriend. That’s when they had the idea for the ADU.

Melanie had just graduated from the UC Berkeley School of Optometry and Hollowood, a software engineer for Google, was working remotely in San Francisco after receiving his PhD in physics at UC Santa Cruz. While on Oahu, they considered their next steps, including where to live.

“In Oahu, many people had ohana suites in back of their homes for family or to rent,” Melanie said, referring to small family dwellings similar to ADUs. “Initially, I thought we could live in a little house and travel. That was the original genesis for the ADU — instead of having to rent something that’s not ours. That was my floating-in-the-ocean fantasy.”

Hollowood, who also loves to travel, took a more businesslike approach. “We were trying to dodge the housing crisis,” said Hollowood, who grew up in Walnut Creek. “We couldn’t afford anything. We didn’t have money for a down payment. But we wanted our own place and didn’t want to waste money on rent. We thought we could move into a backyard unit as a starter home.”

Guevara and Kuo, both optometrists, purchased their 1,300-square-foot home for $300,000 in 1995 and were empathetic to their daughter and son-in-law’s struggle to find housing.

With mortgage rates low in 2021, building an ADU versus the cost of rent “just made so much sense financially,” Guevara said. “And, of course, we loved the idea of them being close to us.”

Today, however, owning a home is a bigger challenge for SoCal millennials and Gen Zers, with mortgage rates at their highest level since 2002 and the median home price in Los Angeles nearing $1 million. This has left some younger people believing they will never own a home.

“So many people of our generation have student loan debt and can’t afford to buy a house,” Melanie said. “When you hear them talking about not having kids, that is partly why.”

The striking changes in the housing market were not lost on longtime homeowners Guevara and Kuo, who viewed the ADU as a sound investment in a shaky financial market. “We have lived in this house for 28 years, so we could finance the ADU quickly,” Kuo said. “The ADU cost more than our house when we bought it.”

While waiting for her optometrist license, Melanie researched options in Los Angeles. She contacted several ADU companies, including Villa, which offers 10 models ranging from 440 to 1,200 square feet. After an initial video consultation, she learned that a custom 850-square-foot prefab ADU would cost $475,000, roughly $100,000 less than the bids they had received from local contractors.

The couple liked that the designs were preapproved and that the company handled all the permitting and project management.

After they worked on the design — their particular home model is no longer available — Villa poured the foundation, and the house was trucked in and installed in the backyard by crane. Next, Villa added flooring, installed cement board siding, painted, stitched the two halves together and hooked up the various utilities.

The interiors of the ADU are sunny and bright, with a living room, two bedrooms and two baths, a laundry, a full kitchen and a cozy window seat. There is room for a small dining room table and storage in the IKEA sectional. The second bedroom can be used for guests and gives Hollowood space to work from home twice a week.

The family shares the backyard and enjoys gardening together, yet there is a sense of privacy thanks to the orientation of the homes.

James Connolly, co-founder and chief executive of Villa, said he was drawn to ADU manufacturing after trying to help his mother install an ADU in Northern California. “It was difficult, but I thought the concept was promising,” Connolly said. The advantage to prefab, he said, is that it is “more affordable, faster, cheaper and a more efficient use of materials.”

Connolly grew up in the Bay Area, where many of his childhood friends had been displaced by the cost of housing. “My parents bought a house for $225,000 when I was 4; by the time I graduated from UC Berkeley, it was worth about a million dollars,” he said. “Income opportunities, unfortunately, did not keep up, and it became impossible for my generation to buy a home. Eighty percent to 90% of the kids I grew up with were displaced. It was tearing families and communities apart.”

When the laws passed in 2020 making it easier for homeowners to convert garages into ADUs, Connolly said he saw it as an opportunity to help solve the housing crisis.

What Connolly finds most exciting about ADUs is their potential to keep families close. At a time when Los Angeles is experiencing a housing shortage, Connolly points out, “I believe that this multigenerational living theme is something that Americans will adopt moving forward, more like our international peers. It will be better for families. Everyone deserves to have a place that they can call home.”

Living at home for the first time since she was 18 has been an adjustment, but Melanie enjoys being near her parents. Past and present collide on the 8,400-square-foot lot, where the family members can “keep an eye on each other,” said Kuo, 64. “We cook dinner together, and Bud [Martin] and Devon often host movie nights in the living room of the ADU.”

The young couple paid a quarter of the cost of the ADU and plan to pay the mortgage as rent. Hoping to have children one day, they don’t see themselves living in the ADU indefinitely. However, that doesn’t worry Guevara and Kuo, who said they can use it for other family members who need housing.

The family is happy with the result of the ADU despite supply chain issues and a long wait for permits to be approved, even with the assistance of Villa.

“It’s a huge life upgrade,” Melanie said. “And we can interact with my parents as much or as little as we like.”

“We’ve never lived anywhere bigger than this,” Hollowood added. “It’s perfect for the two of us.”

"Granny flats" have turned into "grandchild flats."

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

you just got probated for this poo poo, stfu and go bite someone else's ankles

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Willa is a chud. We all know it.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

HallelujahLee posted:

other than the nlrb the biden admin has literally done the same thing including crushing a strike but yes were all chuds, also no-one is saying hes pro-worker or whatever your making up

chuds everywhere

the nlrb one isn't even wholly true because trump reappointed one of obama's nominees, for some unknown to me reason

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

Raskolnikov38 posted:

the nlrb one isn't even wholly true because trump reappointed one of obama's nominees, for some unknown to me reason

lol

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Willa Rogers posted:

you just got probated for this poo poo, stfu and go bite someone else's ankles

I know you are just looking out for my posting career. thank you cister

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Paradoxish posted:

we pretend that luck doesn't exist

this is one of my strongest opinions as far as What The gently caress Is Wrong With This Place thought

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Rectal Death Adept posted:

onions are a filler scourge that are being put in literally everything and it loving sucks

tough but fair

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

all boomers are chuds

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

I know you are just looking out for my posting career. thank you cister

Why are there so many lovely libs that wander into this thread and spread their lovely lib takes?

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

just lol

it’s obvious when the poster has lost the plot when they start calling others chuds

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

is there a reason that loser follows willa around

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

go away weirdo

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

Anyone supportive of trump or speaks positively of him after 4 years of going against what this thread supports is a chud imo

I read the recent articles quoting auto workers and most voted for trump, many don’t support either now but they lean trump. They are what they are :shrug:

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

extremely smart move

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Glumwheels posted:

Anyone supportive of trump or speaks positively of him after 4 years of going against what this thread supports is a chud imo

I read the recent articles quoting auto workers and most voted for trump, many don’t support either now but they lean trump. They are what they are :shrug:

You are such a piece of poo poo

Edit: before Vox gets all pissy I'm just pointing out they are what they are.