Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I doubt they cost that much at the time.

That doesn’t necessarily disprove my theory! :v:

Seriously though, I’m guessing the cast and CGI was where most of the budget went.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Pope Corky the IX posted:

More like it was on the soundtrack and pushed hard on the radio.

I remember it being played on some New Year's Eve channel when the ball dropped on Times Square. Must have been 1999.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

PriorMarcus posted:

I refuse to believe American Werewolf in Paris made anything popular.

It made werewolf women popular with me.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream

The MSJ posted:

You sure that wasn't The Howling 2?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

You sure that wasn't The Howling 2?
A bunch of gross sweaty people with fake fur glued, all writhing around on a bed together. One of the worst movies I’ve ever seen. I saw it on a Saturday night double feature the local ABC affiliate used to run when I was in high school. Probably in 2005. It put me off so bad I didn’t watch the original until a few years ago.

Also I only knew Christopher Lee from LOTR and SW at that point. So in my mind he’s about as high brow of an actor as you can get. So it was real shocking to see him in such trash. I later became a big fan of Hammer movies and got a better overview of his career, and it’s still the worst thing he was ever in.

Also not posting the whole title is a real disservice to everyone. It’s The Howling 2: Your Sister is a Werewolf.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Casimir Radon posted:

A bunch of gross sweaty people with fake fur glued, all writhing around on a bed together. One of the worst movies I’ve ever seen. I saw it on a Saturday night double feature the local ABC affiliate used to run when I was in high school. Probably in 2005. It put me off so bad I didn’t watch the original until a few years ago.

Also I only knew Christopher Lee from LOTR and SW at that point. So in my mind he’s about as high brow of an actor as you can get. So it was real shocking to see him in such trash. I later became a big fan of Hammer movies and got a better overview of his career, and it’s still the worst thing he was ever in.

Also not posting the whole title is a real disservice to everyone. It’s The Howling 2: Your Sister is a Werewolf.

And YOU do a disservice by not referencing its original theatrical title, Howling 2: Stirba Werewolf Bitch

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The sequel to Plane (the Gerard Butler/Mike Colter action movie) was originally supposed to just be called "Ship" but the producers are cowards and changed it to "Plane 2: Stowaway."

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

muscles like this! posted:

The sequel to Plane (the Gerard Butler/Mike Colter action movie) was originally supposed to just be called "Ship" but the producers are cowards and changed it to "Plane 2: Stowaway."

They should have gone the Rambo route and call it "Ship: Plane Part 2"

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

PriorMarcus posted:

I refuse to believe American Werewolf in Paris made anything popular.

Beats London giving max landis trickle down clout

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Young Freud posted:

They should have gone the Rambo route and call it "Ship: Plane Part 2"

Then they'd have the third movie on a train and have to call it Ship 3, followed by a movie that takes place in a bus just called Ship

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

The MSJ posted:

How did you miss Ginger Snaps?

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Shageletic posted:

Miracleman took this to its logical conclusion. Insane-o stuff.

And Brightburn is less a Superman adaptation than a Kid Miracleman adaptation.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

joylessdivision posted:

How did you miss Ginger Snaps?

Have I been made a mod? Those are werewolf minors. Fantastic werewolf movie nonetheless.

Now, that campfire scene in Trick R' Treat, that got me so flustered I didn't watch the final part of the movie after it for a month.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

The MSJ posted:

Have I been made a mod? Those are werewolf minors. Fantastic werewolf movie nonetheless.

Now, that campfire scene in Trick R' Treat, that got me so flustered I didn't watch the final part of the movie after it for a month.

Is there a werewolf in Trick R' Treat?!

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
there's multiple

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Trick r treat has all the spookums

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Yeah, it is unrepentant halloween'ish with all that entitles -the holiday not the movies- and it is brilliant for it.

Sequel still seem to be pretty far along in talks, but haven't heard of filming starting yet, and with how long it's been in talks, not going to believe it until film starts getting shot.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Anthology horror movies are the best. Have there been any good ones since Trick 'r Treat?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Anthology movies almost always bomb so they aren’t made as often.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Shudder did The Mortuary Collection a few years back and it was decent.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

what i remember most about brightburn is that billie eilish's "Bad Guy" had become a huge hit about two months before release and so they had "Bad Guy" play over the end credits (and in all the ads) in a way that was really dissonant with the actual contents of the movie

that and the movie being extremely smug about its premise for no discernible reason

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Sep 15, 2023

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

QuoProQuid posted:

what i remember most about brightburn is that billie eilish's "Bad Guy" had become a huge hit about two months before release and so they had "Bad Guy" play over the end credits (and in all the ads) in a way that was really dissonant with the actual contents of the movie

that and the movie being extremely smug about its premise for no discernible reason

"What if Superman...was evil?!" is always done with a thick layer of 'oh man did I just blow your miiiind?? :smuggo:'.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

The Zero Punctuation guy summed it up pretty well when he put forth that Superman's most constant character traits are "morally unimpeachable" and "built like a brick shithouse" so in the Silver Age especially you could only shockingly subvert the archetype with two kinds of stories: "Superman becomes evil" and "Superman becomes fat"

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Fat evil superman was peak superman. It was all downhill from there.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Trolls is getting another Trolls movie (dolls not Nilbog)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftUpFjGKuY0

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

And let's not forget Monster High 2, which also dropped a trailer today -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1RThqa_MDU

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I didn’t know there was a first Monster High

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Tars Tarkas posted:

And let's not forget Monster High 2, which also dropped a trailer today -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1RThqa_MDU

Video unavailable, no reason given. Monsters don't exist, high or low.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Tars Tarkas posted:

Trolls is getting another Trolls movie (dolls not Nilbog)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftUpFjGKuY0

N'Sync is reuniting for this movie.

Casimir Radon posted:

I didn’t know there was a first Monster High

It's a Nickelodeon movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ghz0V5LegzI

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

I liked Dog Soldiers. I also watched the She-Wold of London TV series back in the day. Even the season where they moved to Los Angeles and the budget got slashed even worse than it already was.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

QuoProQuid posted:

Ohhhh, that is where I heard about that movie. There’s a Todd in the Shadows end of year list and the intro to Bad Guy is about that movie.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Asterite34 posted:

The Zero Punctuation guy summed it up pretty well when he put forth that Superman's most constant character traits are "morally unimpeachable" and "built like a brick shithouse" so in the Silver Age especially you could only shockingly subvert the archetype with two kinds of stories: "Superman becomes evil" and "Superman becomes fat"

Where does 'Superman becomes a witch doctor' fit in, or is that just another one of his tertiary skills

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
We've never had Grandma Superman before, have we?

Superman: At Earth's End gave us Grandpa Superman (among many other things) so they've already got that angle covered.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

We've never had Grandma Superman before, have we?

Superman: At Earth's End gave us Grandpa Superman (among many other things) so they've already got that angle covered.

That's Goku

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Another one bites the dust as Taika Waititi's Star Wars project is reportedly DOA.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

muscles like this! posted:

Another one bites the dust as Taika Waititi's Star Wars project is reportedly DOA.

It's nice to have some good news in these grim times.

sarujin_nz
May 1, 2006

Taika's Star Wars being dead is great news. We might have got half a movie with a screaming Tauntaun.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Dave Filoni using Sith powers George taught him to siphon resources from other Star Wars projects into his own.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Wait, is Lucas actually Sheev and is Disney the Trade Federation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Now he has time to do the not dune movie!