Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
There's also the really cringey Riot versus Blizzard angle to the Tencent discussion that doesn't warrant a detailed dismantling in this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012

Endorph posted:

tbh there are cases of the cn government censoring, like, gay content

like i get that some people are morons im not disputing that but the issue with bringing tencent up in only this context of 'people criticize them for dumb reasons' reads as defense of them when both they and the chinese government are in fact very bad. same with only bringing up censorship in the context of 'lol anime tits'

I'm not bringing it up to make fun of the position, I'm bringing it up because it is legitimately what you'll hear in quite a lot of gaming spaces. This isn't a dichotomy, it stems from the same issue of 'people are not bringing forward legitimate, actionable criticism of Tencent and the Chinese government' and I don't think the solution is 'well, you'll just have to put up with the racism because even if people are mad for inaccurate reasons, at least they're mad'.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

im not saying you have to ignore the racism but im saying i dont see the value in bringing it up here apropos of nothing when nobody here's acting like that

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

Inadequately posted:

Yeah, to be clear, that stuff is indefensible, and I'll acknowledge there is probably something to the idea that Tencent would roll over in an instant if the Chinese government commanded it.

But whenever Tencent gets brought up in the wider gaming community it's usually less of this and more of 'Tencent bad because the Chinese government is going to buy all the games and then censor all the anime titties' and quickly slides into 'and that is why we must chase the perfidious Chinese from our gaming shores', and I don't think it's any sort of commentary on Tencent or the Chinese government to go 'I wish there was less of that'.

The vast majority of people that I interact with anyway use 'Tencent Bad' as shorthand for two things: "Super Conglomerates using their child companies as investment vehicles are frequently bad on a short timeline, and are always bad on a longer one" and "The Chinese Government can suck a fat chode".

Less frequently, I see it in the context of 'China, the businesses' when it comes to issues of copyright, Aggressive P2W stuff, etc. Less then that still, I see it in the context of 'China, the people' where it comes up as ' we don't want cheaters here' which I'm not convinced is particularly defensible, but there is some evidence that it has some truth in it.

I think it would be very reasonable though to say that the majority of people who don't like Tencent are not motivated by a racial aspect.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
My first real exposure to Tencent being bad was the Blitzchung thing where they wagged the dog and forced US Blizzard to basically act as an arm of the chinese government with regard to censorship. It hasn't gotten better since then.

Though that whole ordeal is made even funnier since China kicked Blizzard out anyways this year.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

Kurieg posted:

My first real exposure to Tencent being bad was the Blitzchung thing where they wagged the dog and forced US Blizzard to basically act as an arm of the chinese government with regard to censorship. It hasn't gotten better since then.

Though that whole ordeal is made even funnier since China kicked Blizzard out anyways this year.

In Tencent's defense, that was Netease (although it probably doesn't matter at all in this case - defying the Chinese government is high on the list of things you shouldn't do as a business there if you want to continue to exist). And Netease and Blizz couldn't agree on contract terms to operate in China, so that's why Blizzard is out of China.

A very annoying piece of China Trivia - if you are a game company and want to operate there, you cannot do so by yourself. You have to operate through someone else, which is why Netease or Tencent is a required entry point for titles that want to operate there.

IncendiaC
Sep 25, 2011

Kurieg posted:

This is by no means a defense of Tencent, but I don't believe they had anything to do with the Blitzchung thing. IIRC Tencent only owns a ~5% stake which is far too small to force things out of Acti-Blizz. Blizzard preemptively banned Blitzchung themselves because they anticipated a warning/backlash from the CCP, but said warning never (publicly) happened. So as far as we know, they just shot themselves in the foot for no reason.

Also, Blizzard was always partnered with Netease to distribute their games in China, not Tencent. Sources claim that the ABK execs was the ones who pulled out of that contract, not the Netease side.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Ahh yeah, whoops. Still makes me leery of any chinese game company, really.

IncendiaC posted:

Also, Blizzard was always partnered with Netease to distribute their games in China, not Tencent. Sources claim that the ABK execs was the ones who pulled out of that contract, not the Netease side.

I seem to remember the Netease press release around that time being something to the effect of "Bobby Kotick tried to play hard ball thinking he could get a better deal with another company and that we'd agree to anything to keep him but that's not how it works here." Also Blizzard China made their press release condemning Blitzchung and Blizz US's response was basically "oh uh we can't actually tell them not to do that."

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

In Tencent's defense, that was Netease (although it probably doesn't matter at all in this case - defying the Chinese government is high on the list of things you shouldn't do as a business there if you want to continue to exist). And Netease and Blizz couldn't agree on contract terms to operate in China, so that's why Blizzard is out of China.

A very annoying piece of China Trivia - if you are a game company and want to operate there, you cannot do so by yourself. You have to operate through someone else, which is why Netease or Tencent is a required entry point for titles that want to operate there.

This is business in China generally. Foreign companies cannot directly do business in China.

You can actually register a foreign owned Chinese business to operate through instead, but that company has to operate under Chinese business law with all the financial restrictions and whatnot associated with that so it's not a great option for most.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

mycot posted:

I definitely remember a very racist bent to the conversation where Tencent, the Chinese government, and Chinese people were all conflated with each other, but I suppose those are just people who would always be racist.

The CCP would very much love this because - and surely this would never happen - their opponents would self censor because any criticism of them is automatically a racist attack on Chinese people

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
https://twitter.com/Terraria_Logic/status/1704227519027651016?t=BXS39axJyyBpIOUg4nlmQA&s=19

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
Do American CEOs ever resign to try and save face for the company? Cause now seems like a pretty good time to do that even if it's ultimately a symbolic gesture.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Mercury_Storm posted:

Do American CEOs ever resign to try and save face for the company? Cause now seems like a pretty good time to do that even if it's ultimately a symbolic gesture.

Not typically? Sometimes CEOs get forced out or opt to bail before the jenga tower collapses, but it's basically never framed as a public admission of fault or contrition and is almost always framed as "seeking new opportunities".

Orv
May 4, 2011

Kanos posted:

Not typically? Sometimes CEOs get forced out or opt to bail before the jenga tower collapses, but it's basically never framed as a public admission of fault or contrition and is almost always framed as "seeking new opportunities".

And a lot of CEO positions pay you more when you leave them, even if you’re leaving under bad auspices unless they can really prove you hosed up.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Mercury_Storm posted:

he's gonna get a raise

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Mercury_Storm posted:

Dude resigned from EA so :shrug:

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Mercury_Storm posted:

They ran Brian Krzanich out of Intel for sleeping with one of his employees, but everyone knows its actually because he was doing a terrible job as CEO.

While the stock price is going up they never care if CEOs are loving the employees, weird.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Twerk from Home posted:

They ran Brian Krzanich out of Intel for sleeping with one of his employees, but everyone knows its actually because he was doing a terrible job as CEO.

While the stock price is going up they never care if CEOs are loving the employees, weird.

Allegedly sexually assaulting the head of HR didn't get rid of JR, so I doubt the Intel plan will work.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

MarcusSA posted:

Dude resigned from EA so :shrug:

Ten years from now he'll be hailed as a pioneer

Published on March 19, 2013

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Kanos posted:

"Spending time with their family."

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

leper khan posted:

Allegedly sexually assaulting the head of HR didn't get rid of JR, so I doubt the Intel plan will work.

He married the head of HR and sexually assaulted others. Who found it difficult to get assistance from HR because, well.

https://techcrunch.com/2019/06/08/former-unity-technology-vp-files-lawsuit-alleging-ceo-sexually-harassed-her/?guccounter=1

quote:

“Throughout Evans’ tenure at Unity, Riccitiello regularly made comments about all of the women he slept with, their ages, and what sexual acts they liked to perform with him,” the lawsuit states. “Brown [Unity’s chief people officer], often would laugh approvingly about Riccitiello’s tales of sexual conquest and later when they started a relationship (as described below) would talk in explicit detail at work about her and Riccitiello’s sex life.”

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
Well, poo poo, the Embracer fallout keeps going and now it's Beamdog taking a hit: https://www.gamedeveloper.com/business/embracer-cuts-jobs-at-i-baldur-s-gate-enhanced-edition-i-developer-beamdog

quote:

Former Beamdog associate producer Misia Bloniarz noted that "on Friday, 26 people were laid off at Beamdog and I unfortunately am one of them." The news was corroborated by those affected including the studio's former QA manager Erin McIntyre and associate graphic artist Jill Hollet.

"Regrettably, as part of the Embracer Group's ongoing restructuring initiative, Beamdog made the difficult decision to release 26 employees, myself among them," wrote Hollet. "I am incredibly grateful to them for affording me the opportunity to embark upon my professional journey in the industry. It has been an honor to collaborate with such exceptional individuals during my time there."
At least they didn't get closed down I guess...

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
Ah, so I guess no more BG updates

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Beginning to think that a company being able to buy every other game company with no real regulation is bad or something.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

FishMcCool posted:

Well, poo poo, the Embracer fallout keeps going and now it's Beamdog taking a hit: https://www.gamedeveloper.com/business/embracer-cuts-jobs-at-i-baldur-s-gate-enhanced-edition-i-developer-beamdog

At least they didn't get closed down I guess...
they just released mythforce which, despite its cool art style, bombed pretty hard

https://store.steampowered.com/app/363860/MythForce/

(be honest, how many of you are hearing about it for the first time)

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

kliras posted:

they just released mythforce which, despite its cool art style, bombed pretty hard

I don't think I even saw it on the New Releases page on steam. :psyduck:

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

I only knew about it because I follow the publisher on Steam which sends you emails when a game of theirs launches. It’s handy.

The game isn’t really my kind of thing though so I didn’t buy it.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

kliras posted:

lol never heard of it and I guess it looks ok?

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

kliras posted:

I'd seen it before because I was looking up Beamdog last month. The game gave me big Agents of Mayhem vibes... and not just because of the throwback cartoon style.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Not that studios shouldn’t be allowed to branch out and do other stuff but if you’ve made your name doing well-regarded remasters and expansions, I think you’d at least want to advertise a fully new game at least a little bit? I definitely didn’t hear a thing about it.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Velocity Raptor posted:

I don't think I even saw it on the New Releases page on steam. :psyduck:

yeah, never heard of or seen that before in my life

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
If you had told me that Beamdog had made a new game, cartoon FPS wouldn't exactly have been my first genre guess.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
i was actually looking forward to it, but it got slammed for its dull mechanics as soon as it launched, and i guess everyone's going to be reading the same reviews. surprised they didn't even throw money at streamers with all the people playing dark & darker, but guess they knew they had a lemon on their hands?

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
It's utterly unaccessable solo, doesn't have any real way in either map design or character build to meaningfully change up runs, and asked $30 per player for the privilege of dealing with A and B because it has production values that far outstrip the game they're dumped into.

It can be a fun time for a little while as a group (Humble was/is running a bundle at like 60% off that might be worth a look if your group is willing to buy in) but as a solo or long-term experience it just kinda thought having very basic, banal metaprogression would cover both, and it does not.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

So they pivoted from turn-based RPGs directly into Left 4 Dead: He-Man Edition with what sounds like a brutal early access period. And development started before Embracer bought them. Yeah, they were dead no matter what, there was ever any way for that to end with the studio solvent. :(

Like, “cartoon graphics faithful to the 80s”, “procedural generation that’s fun” and “netcode that works” are all huge technical asks on their own, and it sounds like they tried to combine them in a couple of years’ development time with no real previous experience.

pumpinglemma fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Sep 20, 2023

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

That game was going to be a disaster because it had no pre-existing fans and the studio had no track record. Yakuza finally hit big in the west with the ninth game (0) which helped having eight previous games to iterate on. Baldurs Gate 3 was a sequel in all but name to the Original Sin series, the second of which put Larian on the map.

Beamdog's only prior efforts were remastering old IE games and producing that rather rubbish BG1 expansion. There was no goodwill to be had.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

kliras posted:

Has the Saturday Morning Cartoon aesthetic worked for any game that tried it?

Orv
May 4, 2011
Galak-Z was pretty solid. But I don’t think it’s all that widely used?

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Orv posted:

Not that studios shouldn’t be allowed to branch out and do other stuff but if you’ve made your name doing well-regarded remasters and expansions, I think you’d at least want to advertise a fully new game at least a little bit? I definitely didn’t hear a thing about it.

I recall it being shown on a Nintendo Direct so that's something. Not enough, clearly, but something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
I remember seeing trailers for Mythforce on at least one of Geoff Keighley's showcases, and those aren't cheap to get your game in on.