Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
How do I get the grocery list to organize? I switched it over to a “grocery” type list but it’s not doing anything.

loving. Cool, autocorrect works properly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

obi_ant posted:

Any suggestions for a Magsafe stand like the one in the promo? The few that I found require a circle magsafe charger which I do not have.

https://a.co/d/5KjL749

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

If you want 15w in that style it’s pretty much just Belkin. Theirs are in the Apple store.

A few other manufacturers make 15w MagSafe stuff (including Anker) but they’re all weird designs or 3-in-1s.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

How do I get standby to work

Its enabled in settings but nothing happens when its on my belkin 3-in-1 charger

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

kri kri posted:

How do I get standby to work

Its enabled in settings but nothing happens when its on my belkin 3-in-1 charger

It’s supposed to just activate when the phone is in landscape, charging and on the lock screen.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I like standby but I’d like to be able to force it into always red mode

Oh wow autocorrect rules

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

It’s supposed to just activate when the phone is in landscape, charging and on the lock screen.

yeah no worky, thanks tim apple

well i had to tap it to wake it up and i got the "welcome to standby" splash

now how to get a big rear end digital clock with nothing else

kri kri fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Sep 19, 2023

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Why won’t they let me have more widgets on the lock screen

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

kri kri posted:

yeah no worky, thanks tim apple

well i had to tap it to wake it up and i got the "welcome to standby" splash

now how to get a big rear end digital clock with nothing else

Swipe left to the full screen clock, then up/down.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

Swipe left to the full screen clock, then up/down.

Thank you

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

lol the standby mode screen with two side-by-side widgets appears to only have analog clocks available

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Clark Nova posted:

lol the standby mode screen with two side-by-side widgets appears to only have analog clocks available

I’m too blind at night to see the difference between the big hand and the little hand. Give me 500 font numbers please, the widget is already 3 inches wide.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

The iPhone 6 was the worst iPhone (thin aluminum trash), but Apple redeemed themselves with the X and beyond.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Clark Nova posted:

It also defaults to a City clock set to Cupertino instead of a local time clock.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

Corb3t posted:

The iPhone 6 was the worst iPhone (thin aluminum trash), but Apple redeemed themselves with the X and beyond.

I agree with this, very disturbing phone to hold, never felt right.

Rolo posted:

My first iPhone was the 5C with the silicone case that had holes cut out in the back. I adored that phone, looked so good in person.

I really liked the 5c, never understood the hate it got, and am bummed Apple never made another plastic phone.

Also, whoever said the 4s was the best iPhone was correct. The 4/4s still look awesome, we’re the right size/weight, and don’t feel that dated to use, what, 10 years later?

Edit: 13 years later, goddamn.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
My first iPhone was a 2g. :smug:

Context
Sep 11, 2006
When you’re selecting colors for the clock in standby, the selector scrolls in two dimensions even though it’s just a horizontal list. It’s very half-baked.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

FlapYoJacks posted:

My first iPhone was a 2g. :smug:

Hell yeah :same:

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Same, but my favorite was probably the 3GS because I’m a monster

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Dogen posted:

Same, but my favorite was probably the 3GS because I’m a monster

The 3gs was a monumental leap in performance. No shame there friend.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

frogbs posted:

I really liked the 5c, never understood the hate it got, and am bummed Apple never made another plastic phone.
:sigh:

Yeah. It sucks how either apple/the market is allergic to cool colored phones now.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

buglord posted:

Yeah. It sucks how either apple/the market is allergic to cool colored phones now.

Yeah, the 5c came in awesome colors!

I’ll go one further and say that I liked the 5c more than the 5!

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.

Context posted:

When you’re selecting colors for the clock in standby, the selector scrolls in two dimensions even though it’s just a horizontal list. It’s very half-baked.

On my phone at least, the alphabetic selector dial on the right side of the screen is totally unusable when trying to choose a city for the world clock. If you go to the photo standby screen, hold it down, press the + in the upper left corner, you get the "My Albums" page. You can for some reason choose "New Album..." which pops up a half-covered input box to name the album, but no keyboard appears.

Both pretty minor things, but when something is so threadbare features-wise it's weird that they left in UI bugs that I discovered just while dicking around for a few minutes.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

I’m on the fence if I want the Pro or the Pro Max this year. On one hand, I like the size of the Pro. On the other, I have crappy vision and the larger screen helps.

Also 5x zoom sounds nice. I guess I could wait to see how good the Pro cameras are though?

frogbs posted:

I agree with this, very disturbing phone to hold, never felt right.

Also, whoever said the 4s was the best iPhone was correct. The 4/4s still look awesome, we’re the right size/weight, and don’t feel that dated to use, what, 10 years later?

Edit: 13 years later, goddamn.

iPhone: very disturbing phone to hold

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I personally think the design of the 12 Pro was perfect. Perfect size, looks, feel. Camera bump not too big (although I use and appreciate the better lenses).

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
12 Pro also had the best blue (Pacific Blue)

Only 2× optical zoom though.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Yes but have you considered the 11 pro had the best green???

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
I really like how photos will try to distinguish separate dogs like it does with people so you can make smart albums of just your pet and not all the other dog photos you have.

Unfortunately two of my family’s huskies are the same colour so my phone doesn’t know how to distinguish them. 😔

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

FlapYoJacks posted:

not even close. Was as much grey as green. Green should be bright and full of life; iPhone greens are like dead leaves.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

5S had the best industrial design imo and I say that as someone who had a 4 (and 4S after I somehow lost my 4?).

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

FlapYoJacks posted:

Dark green on the 13 is perfect imo, ruined only by the mirror sheen on the apple logo

I don't know how I feel about those new colours. Maybe they look better in person?

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Boris Galerkin posted:

How do I get the grocery list to organize? I switched it over to a “grocery” type list but it’s not doing anything.

loving. Cool, autocorrect works properly.

It just kinda did it for me. It thought 'rashers' was a kind of baby food and not slang for bacon but otherwise it got everything pretty spot-on.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Man, stand by seems like it would be nice but it will not go off of Cupertino time. I removed Cupertino from my world clock set up (along with New York) and put cities in my time zone. Nope. I then specifically added a clock widget with current time as its main focus and still did not. I then changed the clock widget to four cities all within central time zone. Still nothing.

I am assuming the -2 on the clock is difference of time from my current set up so it knows where I am at, it just does not want to show it.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Can’t you just longpress the clock and change it? That’s how I would assume you change it but I’ve never bothered messing around with standby mode because I have like -5 vision in both eyes without glasses, so I’m not gonna be able to see poo poo on my phone.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

buglord posted:

It’s 50/50 imo.

Customers naturally will just pick black because it’s a "neutral" color and "I’m just going to get a case anyway."

And if any type of rep is helping a customer, it’s easy to default to "do you want black?"

That said, some colors do drive what people want. The Green on the 13 was pretty popular for a bit. For the 15s, I def have had a bunch of people specifically wanting the pink so far.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
On the Contact Poster, I seem to have picked up an old company name next to my name from somewhere.
Any ideas where it might be coming from so I can clear it out?

edit: it was in my Contact. Just had to edit the actual fields to see it.

~Coxy fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Sep 19, 2023

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I’d assume non-Apple stores also have inventory decisions like car dealers, and they similarly choose boring colors.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
The TiPhone is the first time I have ever looked at an iPhone Pro and been in the slightest bit drawn to anything other than the black. Even the all white finish looks good as hell to me. The natural finish is scientifically a dirty lie but my god there is an appeal to it. And the blue. The blue!

Anyway I can't wait to find out what they do next year when I'll actually buy a new one. For now my 12 mini will soldier on another year, and I will continue to have a phone which is the Correct Size. I will never forgive you people for taking the iPhone mini from me.

Flux Wildly
Dec 20, 2004

Welkum tü Zanydu!

~Coxy posted:

On the Contact Poster, I seem to have picked up an old company name next to my name from somewhere.
Any ideas where it might be coming from so I can clear it out?

edit: it was in my Contact. Just had to edit the actual fields to see it.

Mine had assigned me a work phone number from ~9 years ago, really weird. I didn’t recognise it and only found it from searching my emails. Considering the phone should know what my current number is, pretty baffling

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Surprise T Rex
Apr 9, 2008

Dinosaur Gum

Duckman2008 posted:

That said, some colors do drive what people want. The Green on the 13 was pretty popular for a bit. For the 15s, I def have had a bunch of people specifically wanting the pink so far.

I'm definitely sad that the 14 Pro's Deep Purple isn't available on the 15. The Blue Titanium on the 15 Pro is decent but it's a very safe "professional" colour still and the only other remotely interesting colour is Natural.

That said though, yeah you'll never see it because I have a case. £100 a year on AppleCare+ plus £25 to replace screen/back glass isn't a lot but it's a lot less than a case and screen protector.