Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

echinopsis posted:

I really don’t know who to vote for

I mostly just want more money and cheaper food and gas and lower interest rates

let TVNZ tell you who to vote for:

https://votecompass.tvnz.co.nz/nz2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

So, Greens or TPM. Didn't think it'd be so close to be honest.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

echinopsis posted:

no party will be able to deliver this

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
well what do we have to compromise on to get the rest

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.

echinopsis posted:

If you want those things, it means ur probably not rich, and you'll have more money with greens. No one is going to be able to deliver cheaper petrol, and as for interest rates, well, I dunno.

With better public transport, and more available public housing, expensive petrol and high interest rates will affect less people so I guess if you want that then the greens will deliver that even if it doesn't benefit you directly

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

echinopsis posted:

well what do we have to compromise on to get the rest

I'm willing to compromise by merely putting the rich in camps

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

klen dool posted:

If you want those things, it means ur probably not rich, and you'll have more money with greens. No one is going to be able to deliver cheaper petrol, and as for interest rates, well, I dunno.

With better public transport, and more available public housing, expensive petrol and high interest rates will affect less people so I guess if you want that then the greens will deliver that even if it doesn't benefit you directly

I saw some thing that had what the various parties policies would do to the average tank of gas and greens were well above the rest for how much extra a tank would cost.

with interest rates idk either. conventional wisdom is to keep interest rates high to tackle inflation, but that sucks for obvious reasons

labour really have hosed themselves though. no way swing voters are going left lmao

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Slavvy posted:

I'm willing to compromise by merely putting the rich in camps

are doctors rich?

coz I won't lie, working in the health sector, putting doctors in camps isn't likely to be a positive move

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.
I'd certainly describe doctors as well off, I know a few socially and they certainly have a lot more money than me lol.

I don't know that I'd call them rich though. Someone earning $250,000 might sound rich but the RICH rich get so so so much more than that. Doctors still have to work, for example, and usually absurd hours. The rich don't work.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

klen dool posted:

I'd certainly describe doctors as well off, I know a few socially and they certainly have a lot more money than me lol.

I don't know that I'd call them rich though. Someone earning $250,000 might sound rich but the RICH rich get so so so much more than that. Doctors still have to work, for example, and usually absurd hours. The rich don't work.

Shaq is rich, the guy who signed his NBA paycheques was wealthy.

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

echinopsis posted:

I saw some thing that had what the various parties policies would do to the average tank of gas and greens were well above the rest for how much extra a tank would cost.

with interest rates idk either. conventional wisdom is to keep interest rates high to tackle inflation, but that sucks for obvious reasons

labour really have hosed themselves though. no way swing voters are going left lmao

Not sure why you think any nz government is going to be able to stop peak oil, aside from reducing the cost by a few cents in fuel levies

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Lol I guess it depends on how you define the words rich, wealthy, and well off but either way I don't think people earning low 6 figures are causing social inequality.

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer
Doctors work for a living. Wealth is when you don't have to.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

exmachina posted:

Doctors work for a living. Wealth is when you don't have to.

Yeah it's this. Doctors don't own the means of production and actually contribute to society, pretty simple.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

I think a gp makes about 180

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
gps are notoriously one of the worst paid doctor career paths, which is actually a huge problem. I know a gyno who makes half a mill a year working hours she chooses etc (and tbf she spent a lot or time and effort getting there). much like teachers, imagine it being a GP was a career path the state financially encouraged

one can dream

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

klen dool posted:

Lol I guess it depends on how you define the words rich, wealthy, and well off but either way I don't think people earning low 6 figures are causing social inequality.

if we’re talking about the people who are only as wealthy as they are because they’ve actively made socially harmful decisions by prioritising their own wealth then yeah I agree they are bogus

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

echinopsis posted:

What does full throttle climate change cost?

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

echinopsis posted:

was it this? because that's not what it says

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Ratios and Tendency posted:

well it will make me, Jim "Texas Black Gold" McOil, a lot more money,

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Mitigating climate change, but at what cost?? - the nz electorate

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
I look forward to a civil and chill debate.

carrionman
Oct 30, 2010
I work in education for the most part and have an 11 month old. I'd just like the world to not get worse.

Even that seems a high bar to clear.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I think a gp makes about 180

250-300 for an experienced GP at the corporate practices, for a practice owner-operator it can vary a lot but is often more.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

exmarx posted:

was it this? because that's not what it says
Yeah but they're right in how most people are intended to understand that graphic.

Content to Hover
Sep 11, 2009
RNZ did a breakdown of the words used in the debate.
Luxon said :actually: 69 times, his second most common word was well. Did anyone see if he was mansplaining to Jessica Mutch-McKay or was it just to Hipkins/the general public?

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

He mostly seemed to ignore JMM so was mansplaining to the public.

Distorted Kiwi
Jun 11, 2014

"C'mon! Let's tune our weapons!"
Winston’s TV ads say we have to “take our country back”.

Does anyone have a single clue who from? I wasn’t aware we’d been invaded by anyone except Costco.

Firstscion
Apr 11, 2008

Born Lucky

From you know...

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Firstscion posted:

From you know...

the government he helped form

save winnie from winnie

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Distorted Kiwi posted:

Does anyone have a single clue who from? I wasn’t aware we’d been invaded by anyone except Costco.

He's deliberately left it vague to both avoid being pinned down and to let voters project whichever prejudice they're into onto it.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Firstscion posted:

From you know...

Those people

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

He's right

We do have to take it back from the landlords

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
No better or worse than National's "Let's get back on track" slogan.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Distorted Kiwi posted:

The Saturday market here in Whanganui has had the local candidates running stalls for the past few weeks. Three Saturdays ago I stopped at the NZF stall and asked, in all innocence, "who from?"

I poo poo you not, the first three things mentioned were, verbatim, "the WHO", "the UN", and "academics". OK, the first two have standard loony explanations but "why academics?"

"Because they're indoctrinating our young."

:shrek:

bssoil
Mar 21, 2004

Technically correct...many young people leave universities with doctorates, and are always supervised by academics. QED.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Weatherman posted:

The Saturday market here in Whanganui has had the local candidates running stalls for the past few weeks. Three Saturdays ago I stopped at the NZF stall and asked, in all innocence, "who from?"

I poo poo you not, the first three things mentioned were, verbatim, "the WHO", "the UN", and "academics". OK, the first two have standard loony explanations but "why academics?"

Lol

Distorted Kiwi
Jun 11, 2014

"C'mon! Let's tune our weapons!"

Weatherman posted:

He's got my vote!*

*The day I have my brain replaced with a rotten cabbage.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

sebmojo posted:

Those people

Similar to the NZ Loyal slogan “Loyal to you, not to them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I saw some instagram post saying that poo poo is a whole lot worse now than for a long time

is it true that debt is at far more bogus levels than since covid

is it true that a huge portion of 15yos are cant write or read

I mean no judgement necessarily on who was in power when poo poo turned to poo poo, but.. hard to say that things are going well but what we need is more of the same???