Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Gaius Marius posted:

Remove Illiad, Poetry is not books

Oh I would usually agree 100% but I just got the Odyssey translated by Emily Wilson and I’m in love with the book, from the design to the binding to the font and of course the contents. It’s a triumph imo

She’s apparently been working on the Iliad for years and is now close to release, and I’m unreasonably hyped to read a thousands-years-old book

The odyssey audiobook on audible is really great too, read by Claire Danes and her voice is like a relaxing waterfall, great stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

TBB annually updated list imo

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Speaking of Water Margin, is there a popular good English translation I should be looking for? I've got lots of other crap to read before I get to it, but it has been on my list for a while.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Turbinosamente posted:

Speaking of Water Margin, is there a popular good English translation I should be looking for? I've got lots of other crap to read before I get to it, but it has been on my list for a while.

I am by no means an expert, but I have Jackson and it’s very enjoyable. Everybody says avoid Pearl Buck like the plague.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

StrixNebulosa posted:

https://thegreatestbooks.org/

1 . In Search of Lost Time by Marcel Proust <--- never heard of it
2 . Ulysses by James Joyce <---- tried reading it once, not for me
3 . Don Quixote by Miguel de Cervantes <---- OK valid this one can stay
4 . One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez <----- haven't read
5 . The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald <------ I will invent a time machine to go back to fitzgerald and stop him from writing this to save me from the most interminably boring high school semester (followed by preventing mark twain from writing huck finn. he may write everything else but not that one)

That's Marquez's worst book by far. Actually I think it might be his only bad book, but it's also very very very bad.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

StrixNebulosa posted:

https://thegreatestbooks.org/

1 . In Search of Lost Time by Marcel Proust <--- never heard of it

rectify that by starting with Swann’s way immediately

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

it’s so good

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
Speaking of Proust, I recently came across the argument that Shelby Foote was America's greatest admirer of Proust, and that his Civil War trilogy made copious application of Proust's techniques onto the telling of history. That sure puts it in a curious light.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Up to page 500 in Don Quixote when will it end. :negative:

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
if it's not good as hell you've clearly been cursed with a crap translation of some kind

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Lawman 0 posted:

Up to page 500 in Don Quixote when will it end. :negative:

its never gonna end
*hannibal panza voice*

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Gaius Marius posted:

I can't imagine trying to use Goodreads to find a book to read, their recommendations are either horrible, pushing anything that has the same or similar title or author rather than any actual connection to anything, or other editions of works you've already read, I can assure you my first inclination on finishing The Red and The Black was not to read the same tale told again but translated differently.

Given that book stores are horrible now, Goodreads may be the best place to find new books

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

SniperWoreConverse posted:

if it's not good as hell you've clearly been cursed with a crap translation of some kind

It's actually pretty good and I got some good laughs from it but it's just so incredibly long.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Lawman 0 posted:

It's actually pretty good and I got some good laughs from it but it's just so incredibly long.

The Decameron waves hello

In Search of Lost Time smirks

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

My struggle digs up the six-pack it lost at the side of the road

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
One of the many annoying things about the advent of streaming is that now it's totally normal for the audiobook of a novel of average length to take up half a gigabyte.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Rand Brittain posted:

One of the many annoying things about the advent of streaming is that now it's totally normal for the audiobook of a novel of average length to take up half a gigabyte.

Seriouspost: how is that related to the advent of streaming :confused:

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Seriouspost: how is that related to the advent of streaming :confused:

Streaming audio books online through an app or site rather than downloaded ones I presume?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

fez_machine posted:

Streaming audio books online through an app or site rather than downloaded ones I presume?

I still don't get it. :negative:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

audio books used to be on CDs or tape which use zero megabytes

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Carthag Tuek posted:

audio books used to be on CDs or tape which use zero megabytes

Well that's true thank you.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Most people now listen to their audiobooks through an app rather than keeping a permanent collection, which lets the providers stop caring too much about how much space it takes up, was what I meant.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

I mean the Audible app still downloads the files all locally, you can even prep a bunch while on wifi. They are about the same size as the old CD ones.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Bilirubin posted:

The Decameron waves hello

In Search of Lost Time smirks

The decameron was jammed packed with interesting self-contained stories though!

Lawman 0 fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Sep 12, 2023

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Rand Brittain posted:

Most people now listen to their audiobooks through an app rather than keeping a permanent collection, which lets the providers stop caring too much about how much space it takes up, was what I meant.

Ooooh OK.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Lawman 0 posted:

The decameron was jammed packed with interesting self-contained stories though!

I'm thinking the Quixote does too but I've yet to start it myself. Perhaps after I'm finished with Communion, although Earthsea is just sitting there

e. I was actually just chatting with a friend of mine who is rereading it currently with the view of it being about life in Spain as a crypto Jew or conversio. He points out, "the novel starts off by saying "here's a guy who's name is not important but it also has probably recently been changed, oh he doesn't eat pork, he has huevos hamidos on Saturdays, and he has a lot of books"" Certainly its a take

Bilirubin fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Sep 12, 2023

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Bilirubin posted:

crypto Jew

Since this is 2023 when I see anything with crypto in it I think of a certain thing, so "crypto Jew" parsed as something quite bigoted to me at first.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Since this is 2023 when I see anything with crypto in it I think of a certain thing, so "crypto Jew" parsed as something quite bigoted to me at first.

The Zohar, in NFT form. (Sorry for making that sort of confusing statement.)

My buddy has gone on at length about how Cervantes lived shortly after the Edict of Removal and had family (mothers side, god parents) who were likely conversos (and to whom some were related to said buddy) but still secretly practicing themselves, and that he made comments in his prologue about either being able to read or knowing Hebrew speakers.

Anyway, apparently there is a scholarly literature on this topic so I will likely take my new curiosity in that direction.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
I was under the impression that "crypto-Jew" was probably already a part of the anti-semitic lexicon.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

FPyat posted:

I was under the impression that "crypto-Jew" was probably already a part of the anti-semitic lexicon.

same. but now it's got layers

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Bilirubin posted:

The Zohar, in NFT form. (Sorry for making that sort of confusing statement.)

My buddy has gone on at length about how Cervantes lived shortly after the Edict of Removal and had family (mothers side, god parents) who were likely conversos (and to whom some were related to said buddy) but still secretly practicing themselves, and that he made comments in his prologue about either being able to read or knowing Hebrew speakers.

Anyway, apparently there is a scholarly literature on this topic so I will likely take my new curiosity in that direction.

That's actually quite interesting. Thanks for sharing Bill.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Did anyone read the whole Wheel of Time? 14 books? :psyduck:

Was it worth it? I stopped at book 5-6 or so, when they were new and coming out. It just became too boring. But I heard it gets good again later, with Sanderson. Maybe I'll finish the story now, 20 years later.

Speaking of Sanderson, I finished Starsight, and what a letdown. I loved Skyward, one of my favorite books of that year, a great, fun adventure. Not perfect, but I thought it worked if you let some things slide. And I tried, but I just didn't believe the logistics of Starsight. So many nitpicks that took me out of the fantasy.

It went from decent, fun, young adult sci-fi to... like... Netflix anime-level with logic meant to move the plot along. JUST GO ALONG WITH IT OK, IT DOESN'T NEED TO MAKE SENSE. I'll ignore a lot for a story, I'm not a smart "find the plot holes" reader, yet I kept finding myself thinking "Nobody would react like that. No organization would let that happen. Perfect portable hologram disguise tech that nobody else in the universe owns, that's convenient."

He's not a bad writer, of course... I've only read those two books by Sanderson, so far seems like he's great at cliffhangers, ending chapters in a way that you want to read the next one RIGHT NOW, epic "I should've seen that coming, but it's awesome" moments, and action scenes in general. But the whole consistency of this universe just didn't convince me. I'd post more specific spoilers, but maybe it goes in the book review thread. Plus, I sort of enjoyed it anyway, some moments that I would've loved even more if they weren't surrounded by a bit of roll-eyes worldbuilding. I think it just needed a bit more polish, I don't expect like Iain Banks complexity here but just... a bit more realism in some parts.

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009
I reread WoT last year having dropped out after crossroads at twilight (book 10) way back when.

If you didn't like it at book 5-6 I don't think you'll enjoy it more,y takeaway is they become more and more of the same, bogging down significantly in complicated story arcs and his weird barely disguised fetishes (hair pulling, girls bottoms being smacked, folding arms under breasts etc).

The Sanderson ones have a lot more functional but they take three books to tie up around 10 books of unresolved plot.

I'm not saying I'd recommend it but I deal feel some satisfaction in knocking off a series that I read as a teen

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Did anyone read the whole Wheel of Time? 14 books? :psyduck:

Was it worth it? I stopped at book 5-6 or so, when they were new and coming out. It just became too boring. But I heard it gets good again later, with Sanderson. Maybe I'll finish the story now, 20 years later.

...yes? I've read and reread wot multiple times, lots of people have read the whole thing.

Was it worth it, varies by person obviously. Maybe watch the TV show?

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Well this is coincidental, my boyfriend just picked up the first 5 books of Wheel of Time cheap in a garage sale and I was thinking of taking a crack at them myself. Probably gonna hold off though as I am not huge into western fantasy books and still have to finish Journey to the West on top of sorting through my bookshelves. I'm down to coffee table books, reference books, and how to guides that are too boring to post about. Not only am I running out of books to declutter I am itching to read a modern novel since it's been so long.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Turbinosamente posted:

Well this is coincidental, my boyfriend just picked up the first 5 books of Wheel of Time cheap in a garage sale and I was thinking of taking a crack at them myself. Probably gonna hold off though as I am not huge into western fantasy books and still have to finish Journey to the West on top of sorting through my bookshelves. I'm down to coffee table books, reference books, and how to guides that are too boring to post about. Not only am I running out of books to declutter I am itching to read a modern novel since it's been so long.

The first four books are very very strong imo.

I’m going through 5 right now and it definitely drags in the first two thirds though it’s picked up a lot as we get to the climax. I seem to remember the dragging continuing for the couple more books I read 20 years ago but hoping that this time around I can finish it.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
I stumbled across a website that takes public domain ebooks from project Gutenberg and other places and gives them proper chapter markers and corrects any OCR problems and stuff like that.

I also bought Dracula on kindle because it was a dollar. The kindle version loving sucks! No chapters, all sorts of formatting problems, big gaps and stuff. Just trash. So I thought I could just grab Dracula from that website but I can’t remember it now. Does anyone else know what I’m talking about?

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

tuyop posted:

I stumbled across a website that takes public domain ebooks from project Gutenberg and other places and gives them proper chapter markers and corrects any OCR problems and stuff like that.

I also bought Dracula on kindle because it was a dollar. The kindle version loving sucks! No chapters, all sorts of formatting problems, big gaps and stuff. Just trash. So I thought I could just grab Dracula from that website but I can’t remember it now. Does anyone else know what I’m talking about?

Sounds like Standard Ebooks, and yeah they have Dracula.
https://standardebooks.org/ebooks?query=Dracula&sort=newest&view=grid&per-page=12

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Standard eBooks is probably what you're thinking of. Also never buy Public Domain poo poo from Amazon because anyone can throw up whatever and charge for it, at the very least look for the Amazon Classic version, although I think those are only free for Prime members now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Standard ebooks worked great! Thanks!