Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Imagine if we had won :stonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

The Lions have a really good backup for CJGJ.

Bit that still loving sucks.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Budda Baker went into IR which ends any distant hope of the Packers trading for him. Guess we're rolling with Savage and a bunch of losers for the rest of the season at safety.

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Woof.

https://twitter.com/ConnorAllenNFL/status/1703811018785194378

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Shrimpy posted:

Is there any indication why, rather than naturally build off what was "working" towards the end of last year, they've just reverted back to a system Fields seems incapable of running?

It feels very telling that they're going this sink-or-swim route rather than starting with his strengths and going from there.

For the same reason James Daniels and Roquan weren't a fit. Or why all the big name free agent lineman just didn't fit in with what the Bears wanted. Why the team spent a ton on linebackers in 2023, passed on a generational talent at DT, and let David Montgomery walk.

The Bears have a system and scheme that trumps everything. And only certain players can work in that system, so all that other talent around the league is not worthy. Meanwhile teams like the Ravens cater their offense around their athletic quarterback and play to his strengths. The Chiefs reconfigure their defense around their talent. The Bears in the meantime will sit back and wait till the next Aaron Rodgers falls in their lap and fixes everything.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Lamar Jackson his second year in the League won MVP, and had over 3k yards passing, Mahomes ditto only 5k yards passing and won the superbowl lol.

Lamar Jackson his rookie year was seeing the field in the passing game better than Fields seemingly is now.

Fields 3rd year in the league, is not able to see or anticipate poo poo, and is still making the same mistakes he's made for the past 3 years.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Those are good reasons to have him run more but I'm not Luke Getsy.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.
The Bears should look to Chicago's mercantile history and focus on being true draft capitalists. It's in their blood after all. Look at how they raced after that number one pick last year. Just accumulate draft picks over everything else.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

They're on pace to have the first 2 picks with Carolina losing.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

Maybe the next coach will know what to do with Fields and whatever talent there is on the team. I know their a rival but it's painful to watch.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

Nervous posted:

The Bears should look to Chicago's mercantile history and focus on being true draft capitalists. It's in their blood after all. Look at how they raced after that number one pick last year. Just accumulate draft picks over everything else.

They could take a page from the city's bootlegging history. Tilt the scales in your favor by suiting up 80 players on game day, and just have multiple players of similar size wear the same number to hide it. Spread the work around and they'll have much fresher than their opponents.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Maybe it’s time to just fold the Bears as a franchise? There comes a point when these perpetual moribund teams are an embarrassment to the sport as a whole.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Darth Brooks posted:

I know their a rival but it's painful to watch.

At least the Lions and Vikings can dish out some trash talk. The Bears are a perpetual funeral.

sponges posted:

Maybe it’s time to just fold the Bears as a franchise? There comes a point when these perpetual moribund teams are an embarrassment to the sport as a whole.

Forcible ownership change is functionally that.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
Bears are going to get like Caleb and Harrison but will gently caress it up.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Hey now let's not go putting us below the Lions in the historical hierarchy just yet

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
This really is a sad sack division. One team with a single title to its name despite being in a top media market, another team with a single playoff win despite two of the best to ever play their positions, a third team that failed at the last second over and over and over, and the final team only wins once every twenty years despite having the organizational talent to dominate long term

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

trevorreznik posted:

This really is a sad sack division. One team with a single title to its name despite being in a top media market, another team with a single playoff win despite two of the best to ever play their positions, a third team that failed at the last second over and over and over, and the final team only wins once every twenty years despite having the organizational talent to dominate long term

Yeah, we’re all pathetic.

I just want the Vikings to win a SB. I want to know what it feels like to watch your team win it all :allears:

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

I like to imagine NFC North fans are my av + text tbh.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

sponges posted:

Yeah, we’re all pathetic.

I just want the Vikings to win a SB. I want to know what it feels like to watch your team win it all :allears:

I honestly wonder now if Detroit isn’t as stressed out about a Super Bowl win because they got used to the wings winning it all constantly and almost winning it multiple times over like 20 years and then you have the pistons win in 2004 means a lot of folks would be thrilled, but a good chunk of folks would be like

Oh that’s awesome they’re not a joke in sports anymore

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

https://twitter.com/landonthegr8/status/1703491539656388896

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I used to be like, WAY more upset about the Packers losing. 2011 against the Giants? 2012 against the 49ers? loving 2013 against the 49ers?? The 2014 NFCCG broke me. Now I just enjoy the ride and look for the upside.

If they lose, well, that sucks, I sleep it off for a couple hours. I don't really expect any more than that.

2015? Injuries, no business getting that far. 2016? Incredible amounts of luck to run the table, not remotely shocking the luck ran out against Julio Jones. 2017, 2018? Injuries.Whatever. 2019, 2020, 2021? Same ol' Packers.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

SKULL.GIF posted:

I used to be like, WAY more upset about the Packers losing. 2011 against the Giants? 2012 against the 49ers? loving 2013 against the 49ers?? The 2014 NFCCG broke me. Now I just enjoy the ride and look for the upside.

If they lose, well, that sucks, I sleep it off for a couple hours. I don't really expect any more than that.

The 2011 playoff game against San Francisco and the. LSU getting shut out in the BCS championship within a week of each other did this to me as a Louisiana football fan. At most I can muster a brief melancholy over a bad loss now.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

I honestly wonder now if Detroit isn’t as stressed out about a Super Bowl win because they got used to the wings winning it all constantly and almost winning it multiple times over like 20 years and then you have the pistons win in 2004 means a lot of folks would be thrilled, but a good chunk of folks would be like

I can't speak for the rest of the fanbase but I'm not stressed out because we haven't seen a championship appearance in 32 years in Minnesota between the major sports so you just sort of become numb to it all.

I will still allow myself to hope and believe when a team starts showing promise but if (when) it all comes crumbling down it's just like "welp, business as usual then"

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

forgot to give my TRIP REPORT of my first time watching a lions game:

wow that game was fun! i really like this team and i think this game made me a fan. sucks that it's a loss, but you can't win them all. i'm sure we'll win this week

cheeseboy58
Dec 14, 2020
I agree it was really exciting seeing the lions vs seahawks game im excited to see how they fair on sunday!

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

Hard to be stressed about a Super Bowl when you don't never come close. The bar is the floor for the Lions. But if they did win a Super Bowl people would go absolutely loving bananas.

Hockey is not for me and the Pistons have sucked for 15 years straight so no those things don't help.

GenericMartini
Oct 22, 2012

AYYYYY PAPI
The Minnesota Football Vikings will be picking number 1 in this year's NFL Draft

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

I'm a relatively new Lions fan (about 8 years) based outside the US (UK) so I'm not even going to pretend to speak on behalf of the proper fans or fanbase. However I get the impression that folk are just desperate to get over that initial hump of winning the division and winning a play-off game. I think that would be such a monumental relief for this fanbase that it would probably feel like a Super Bowl appearance. The Super Bowl itself almost feels like some sort of ethereal, abstract concept and I think the Lions as an organisation need to celebrate some hurdles before that even feels like a realistic thing to think about.

That brings its own pressures, though. 2-0 with a proper +1 game lead in the division would have been so nice and bread so much confidence that not doing really loving stings. Again, I'm a new fan but there haven't been many Lions games that have felt so god drat frustrating as this Seahawks L. Way worse losses, sure, but just in terms of the desperation to actually meet some sort of success bar this year..

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/bobby_depaul/status/1704092723232284743

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

GenericMartini posted:

The Minnesota Football Vikings will be picking number 1 in this year's NFL Draft

I see a lot of this on the Viking sub on Reddit. Last year they got plastered by the Eagles. This year they would have won except for the fumbles. It's frustrating to see the improvement and then see "TRADE COUSINS! TRADE JEFFERSON!" as the reaction.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

GenericMartini posted:

The Bears are gonna trade them their pick?

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

This is the saddest division in the NFL. I believe it's the only div that has not had more than 2 teams in the playoffs since 2000, though this did happen once:

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
https://twitter.com/DetroitOnLion/status/1704118038562255265

:thunk:

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

SKULL.GIF posted:

2015? Injuries, no business getting that far. 2016? Incredible amounts of luck to run the table, not remotely shocking the luck ran out against Julio Jones. 2017, 2018? Injuries.Whatever. 2019, 2020, 2021? Same ol' Packers.

Yeah same here. It's been much more enjoyable to watch games when I know that losing isn't going to ruin my day / week. 2014 for better or worse helped fix that.

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Gonna subscribe to his news letter.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

GenericMartini posted:

I don't get the apocalyptic feels that 0-2 means the season is over. There are still 15 loving games! And they haven't played like trash - turning the ball over 3.5 times on average per game is a huge weight and it isn't going to last.

Somehow the 0-2 Bears are ranked 6th of 9th of 0-2 teams most likely to make the playoffs. Minnesota at 5th feels a little low.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...ts/70898168007/

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Yeah I dont get all the doom and gloom here. Lions seem like they need a new D coordinator, otherwise they seem fine. Vikings are competitive with one of the best teams in the league and need to clean up turnovers - pretty solvable problem. Bears are in a rough spot with just about everything though, no way to sugarcoat it. At least the new coaching staff and possibly GM will have a lot of draft capital. Packers can eat poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Looking at their schedule, I think the Vikings have a very real chance of leaving October at something like 2-5, I think some big worry for them is pretty darn warranted. Their schedule gets a little softer in the middle, but then it's Bengals (who will presumably have it figured out by then), Lions, Packers, Lions.

The Lions, I was just hoping this wouldn't be another year of, well, the pass rush can't get home and the secondary can't stop anything, so the offense has to play perfect, hope there's no significant injuries, turnovers or poor/missed calls or it's probably gonna be a disaster. I don't wanna overreact to the Seattle game because Pete Carroll just seems to own our souls, but. Saw a lot of familiar stuff in that game.