Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

I fundamentally believe that what we are all experiencing right now and bearing witness to, the death, the grieving, the sheer disempowerment to protect ourselves and our loved ones....

...these are the good times.

We are three years in, there have been millions of deaths, millions more disabled and sick people, and the ruling class has collectively agreed to write it off. I keep thinking about 2030 because by then the world will be so fundamentally different that I can't make any solid predictions, but my bet is that we'll all be broken people and capitalism will carry on like nothing happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boy of Joy
Sep 28, 2001
I thought I was dead. But I think I'm Cleopatra, too.
Anyone in the UK know what’s the deal with new vaccine availability there? I have some family flying in to the US to visit at the beginning of October and they’re saying there doesn’t seem to be availability for under 65s/“at increased risk” folks. I’m taking this info with a grain of salt because there is a bit of antivaxx sentiment in play here, but was just curious if any UK thread folk had any experience getting a shot recently?

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
saw my cardiologist today. the good news is that of my vitals, etc look good; in addition to lipids/bp/etc, my vo2max and mets output are all good, and we mostly talked about keeping things that way.

bad news is that the two of us were the only people i saw masked in the cardiology wing of what is supposed to be one of the best hospitals in the country.

Soap Scum
Aug 8, 2003

U-DO Burger posted:

The second time worked, but the pharmacist denied her Paxlovid, saying that it's been too long. She's felt symptoms since Wednesday, and we thought that would be day 0, with today being day 5, but the doctor said no, today is day 6. The doctor suggested she get Remdesivir, only to stop herself a minute later because oops actually there are no supplies of that drug in Oregon. She apologized for not being able to prescribe anything, and this here is the best part. The doctor told my wife to save her positive test, and then use it to lie to get a Paxlovid prescription the moment she feels sick with anything. That way, she will already have it on hand, and can use it once she tests positive for real. lol. lmao.

I'll be sure to spread this doctor's advice far and wide!

Soap Scum
Aug 8, 2003

health care facility my partner works at is full

because it's overflowing with covid patients?

no

because half the nurses have covid

now you might think that the untreated people tonight who face serious exacerbation or death are a tragedy. but it's important to keep in mind that they died prematurely seeing smiles

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

celadon posted:

as a trained virus person this is my expert opinion on why COVID expressing the spike protein is completely harmless

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Boy of Joy posted:

Anyone in the UK know what’s the deal with new vaccine availability there? I have some family flying in to the US to visit at the beginning of October and they’re saying there doesn’t seem to be availability for under 65s/“at increased risk” folks. I’m taking this info with a grain of salt because there is a bit of antivaxx sentiment in play here, but was just curious if any UK thread folk had any experience getting a shot recently?

Not in the UK, but:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/covid-19-vaccination-autumn-booster-resources posted:

(..)
A dose of the COVID-19 vaccine will be offered this autumn to:
  • people aged 65 years and over
  • residents in care homes for older people
  • anyone aged 6 months and over in a clinical risk group
  • health and social care staff
Appointments will be available from the National Booking Service shortly.
(..)
(there are some additional carve-outs, like "families of individuals with weakened immune systems")

Vaccines are Pfizer, Moderna and Sanofi (which isn't one we know a whole lot about, but doesn't seem to be updated).

There have been murmurings about being allowed to purchase doses privately, but I don't think it has happened yet.

I should note that the 65+ or increased risk is pretty normal in mainland Europe as well.

Pingui has issued a correction as of 01:52 on Sep 19, 2023

Boy of Joy
Sep 28, 2001
I thought I was dead. But I think I'm Cleopatra, too.
Thanks for that, I poked around on the NHS site a bit. The main worry is family is gonna be visiting my mother here in the US and she’s in her 70s and has had a few health issues this year. Would be great to have visiting family get vaccinated first, but at the very least they say they’ll be taking precautions the week before and masking during travel over here.

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021

U-DO Burger posted:

This has been an interesting day

Now that the whole family is tested, my parents are negative, and so is my 6yo (wtf how). My 9yo however tested positive, so that gives us 4 COVID cases and 3 people who need to dodge it.

test2treat.org worked for me, and I got a Paxlovid prescription sent to Walgreens, who said that my insurance won't cover it and to pay out of pocket. My wife, however, submitted her information and got no response at all. So we tried a different telehealth service, Color. The first visit was a dud; the doctor logged into their Zoom call and couldn't hear us and so she ended the visit and had us fill out all the forms all over again.

The second time worked, but the pharmacist denied her Paxlovid, saying that it's been too long. She's felt symptoms since Wednesday, and we thought that would be day 0, with today being day 5, but the doctor said no, today is day 6. The doctor suggested she get Remdesivir, only to stop herself a minute later because oops actually there are no supplies of that drug in Oregon. She apologized for not being able to prescribe anything, and this here is the best part. The doctor told my wife to save her positive test, and then use it to lie to get a Paxlovid prescription the moment she feels sick with anything. That way, she will already have it on hand, and can use it once she tests positive for real. lol. lmao.

So, I've got Pax that wasn't free whereas my wife is SOL with advice from a doctor to lie, cheat, and steal your way to a Pax prescription next time. :shepface:

:stare:

Very cool how people who are actively sick have to navigate this monstrosity of a system. How much did they charge you for Paxlovid? Great country we have.

If you haven't yet go try again for Paxlovid on Sesame Care, it was really a completely painless experience for us.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Why Am I So Tired posted:

Very cool how people who are actively sick have to navigate this monstrosity of a system. How much did they charge you for Paxlovid? Great country we have.

If you haven't yet go try again for Paxlovid on Sesame Care, it was really a completely painless experience for us.
You are not supposed to, you're supposed to die and then your loved ones get preyed on to pay the bill when they are greiving and at their most emotionally vulnerable.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Boy of Joy posted:

Thanks for that, I poked around on the NHS site a bit. The main worry is family is gonna be visiting my mother here in the US and she’s in her 70s and has had a few health issues this year. Would be great to have visiting family get vaccinated first, but at the very least they say they’ll be taking precautions the week before and masking during travel over here.

Have them mask for two weeks prior to visit, no indoor unmasked activities yes that means no bars or restaurants. Mask on the plane, use sip valves. Once they’ve arrived and tested negative twice in 48 hours see if they can’t do a little vaccine tourism. And make sure mom gets vaxxed asap. Getting it here is likely the only way they will be able to at all and the UK is a Covid shitshow right now and winter hasn’t even started.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

SardonicTyrant posted:

I fundamentally believe that what we are all experiencing right now and bearing witness to, the death, the grieving, the sheer disempowerment to protect ourselves and our loved ones....

We are three years in, there have been millions of deaths, millions more disabled and sick people, and the ruling class has collectively agreed to write it off. I keep thinking about 2030 because by then the world will be so fundamentally different that I can't make any solid predictions, but my bet is that we'll all be broken people and capitalism will carry on like nothing happened.

You hate to make predictions like this, but I really can't see the present social order making it past 2030. There won't be contested presidential elections, that's for sure. I think political violence and terrorism is going to become a regular thing, stuff like the Michigan governor kidnapping is going to happen regularly. Economically things might keep on keeping on, although a lot of real estate is going to be suddenly worthless due to climate

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Why Am I So Tired posted:

it was a paltry fee, a little over $6. Still, incredibly annoying to get nickel and dimed over something that is supposed to cost nothing.

I would try Sesame Care, but it really does seem like we missed the treatment window for my wife. It's her sixth day of symptoms, and she popped positive only this morning, on her third rapid test.

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021

U-DO Burger posted:

it was a paltry fee, a little over $6. Still, incredibly annoying to get nickel and dimed over something that is supposed to cost nothing.

I would try Sesame Care, but it really does seem like we missed the treatment window for my wife. It's her sixth day of symptoms, and she popped positive only this morning, on her third rapid test.

Ugh, I'm sorry everything is so stupid. I wonder if it could still be worth it even if only to help reduce symptoms?

It sure would be nice if the demons in charge who justify social murder by screaming "we have the tools" at us actually had to use those same tools instead of having special access to endless free same day PCR tests. Maybe the tools and processes wouldn't be absolute trash in that case?

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants

SardonicTyrant posted:

Every once in a while I will think about how terrifying and difficult it would be to be teleported forward in time without the knowledge and experience I've gained so far. How would you have felt if your 2013 self suddenly stepped into 2023? How would we feel taking a trip to 2033?

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021

mrbotus posted:

Every once in a while I will think about how terrifying and difficult it would be to be teleported forward in time without the knowledge and experience I've gained so far. How would you have felt if your 2013 self suddenly stepped into 2023? How would we feel taking a trip to 2033?

2013 me would be so loving jazzed to have 10 years of webcomics to read

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants
There were still active web comics in 2013?

-m.
Jul 2, 2007
Just wanted to jump in and add another successful shot (new pfizer and flu too!) to the list. Got it at Walgreens, and the biggest problem was that I picked the one that all the folks from the senior living place goes to, and so I waited an hour past my appointment. Thankfully I didn't have to sit in a cramped waiting room: they had some books in a place where I could keep an eye on the door. Read all about some other local disasters. Overheard that they had to throw out all the old vax so that was a plus.

My only real concern is that I used to get Moderna and that the smaller size won't be toooo helpful - I didn't really have much of a reaction before other than some brain fog and there wasn't even a sore arm for this. But the only Moderna was a half hour away vs ten minutes, so I went with convenience.

And for the goon in that covid study: I did manage to get enough blood on the paper this time, but I'm hoping it wasn't "lost" on the way. They "accidentally" ordered two so if I need to redo it I could.

Also very much like the grey Breatheteqs, I ordered a couple more if I ever get back on a film set. Meanwhile I'm keeping my vflexes. Good thing too, as my coworker sounded rather gravelly today.....

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost
I can’t say Corminarty without an exaggerated Irish accent, it’s impossible

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Bastard Tetris posted:

a drug commercial made for Sean Connery

Ghost Cactus
Dec 25, 2006
The appointment at walgreens worked. Moderna too so I fully expect to feel like poo poo tomorrow.

Thanks Pingui for posting so much good info (this isn’t sarcastic you’re a mensch).

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

mrbotus posted:

My 2013 self would still be living with my parents except with less money because all their savings was eaten by rent.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

fosborb posted:

a drug commercial made for Sean Connery

he’s Scottish, and it’s not his forte because there’s no S sound in Comirnaty for him to pronounce with an SH

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost

Steve Yun posted:

he’s Scottish, and it’s not his forte because there’s no S sound in Comirnaty for him to pronounce with an SH

Isn’t there some website where we can record audio clips? I’d love to take a crack at this

Ghost Cactus posted:

Thanks Pingui for posting so much good info (this isn’t sarcastic you’re a mensch).

Agreed, very helpful posts, unlike mine lol

Bastard Tetris has issued a correction as of 05:05 on Sep 19, 2023

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Bastard Tetris posted:

He's the arch rival of Chermlerock Siaolmes

Diamonds On MY Fish
Dec 10, 2008

I WAS BORN THIS WAY

Bastard Tetris posted:

I can't say it without thinking of that stupid ERMAGERD meme

Diamonds On MY Fish
Dec 10, 2008

I WAS BORN THIS WAY
So that tweet about the different tests a couple pages ago had a reply from someone talking about building his own PCR testing machine at home. I didn't know that was A Thing? How has a goon not done this yet?

https://bitesizebio.com/23899/build-your-own-pcr-machine/

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

U-DO Burger posted:

stupid sexy virus

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

Baddog posted:

Oh poo poo, you actually got a pediatric vaccine? How old is your kid? Did you see if this was an actual different dosage than adults?

I've just been on the phone with state health and the federal cdc vaccines line (800-232-0233), and they have zero loving clue. Keep pointing me to vaccines.gov, which has the old bivalent data up.

My pediatrician's front desk was like "they haven't released it yet, we don't know what it is".

Here are the six new ones I had to add to a system this week:

Pfizer COVID-19 23/24 - 30mcg / .3ml --- CVX 309 (Pfizer Fall 2023 12 years and older)
Pfizer COVID-19 23/24 - 10mcg / .3ml --- CVX 310 (Pfizer Fall 2023 5 years through 11 years of age)
Pfizer COVID-19 23/24 - 3mcg / .3ml --- CVX 308 (Pfizer Fall 2023 6 months through 4 years of age)

Novavax COVID-19 23/24 - 5mcg / .5ml --- CVX 313 (Novavax Fall 2023 12 years and older)

Moderna COVID-19 23/24 - 50mcg / .5ml --- CVX 312 (Moderna Fall 2023 12 years and older)
Moderna COVID-19 23/24 - 25mcg / .25ml --- CVX 311 (Moderna Fall 2023 6 months through 11 years of age)

https://www2a.cdc.gov/vaccines/iis/iisstandards/vaccines.asp?rpt=cvx

Baddog
May 12, 2001

text editor posted:

Here are the six new ones I had to add to a system this week:

Pfizer COVID-19 23/24 - 30mcg / .3ml --- CVX 309 (Pfizer Fall 2023 12 years and older)
Pfizer COVID-19 23/24 - 10mcg / .3ml --- CVX 310 (Pfizer Fall 2023 5 years through 11 years of age)
Pfizer COVID-19 23/24 - 3mcg / .3ml --- CVX 308 (Pfizer Fall 2023 6 months through 4 years of age)

Novavax COVID-19 23/24 - 5mcg / .5ml --- CVX 313 (Novavax Fall 2023 12 years and older)

Moderna COVID-19 23/24 - 50mcg / .5ml --- CVX 312 (Moderna Fall 2023 12 years and older)
Moderna COVID-19 23/24 - 25mcg / .25ml --- CVX 311 (Moderna Fall 2023 6 months through 11 years of age)

https://www2a.cdc.gov/vaccines/iis/iisstandards/vaccines.asp?rpt=cvx

Thank you!

1/3 of pfizer adult and 1/2 for moderna, ehhhh. Since my kid only has a few weeks to 12 (and isn't that small), I'm gonna stop trying to get it asap and just try to wait it out here. Hell, maybe he will even be able to get the novavax.

text editor
Jan 8, 2007
Our estimated delivery date from the start was September 30th.

I believe the 2 new RSV vaccines (Pfizer and GSK) and the new monoclonals the CDC just assigned CVX codes to should be shipping that time as well if I heard correctly

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
lol Chicago

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

it will never stop being hilarious (in a depressing way) to me that for the one year we actually pretended to take covid semi-seriously we, completely without really trying, made a huge dent in flu transmission, possibly including the extinction of an entire lineage of flu

but we had to open biden lmao

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

one lineage of flu eradicated, one thousand new lineages of COVID created :blessed:

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

https://twitter.com/ZekeEmanuel/status/1703836379090665507?t=QaHJWhkshhbyhM0azc3bag&s=19

heartbreaking, worst person you know, etc

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I wonder if the eye doctor in the envo mask last year will still be wearing one tomorrow.

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost

Diamonds On MY Fish posted:

So that tweet about the different tests a couple pages ago had a reply from someone talking about building his own PCR testing machine at home. I didn't know that was A Thing? How has a goon not done this yet?

https://bitesizebio.com/23899/build-your-own-pcr-machine/

yeah DIY PCR is easy as poo poo, I got my nieces a My First MolBio kit for Christmas last year

https://www.the-odin.com/all-products/

These guys sell repurposed stuff but the owner’s a loving freak that’s basically blacklisted by the majority of the synbio community

https://www.addgene.org/

Addgene is an awesome resource but is academic so I don’t/can’t gently caress with them

Bastard Tetris has issued a correction as of 09:14 on Sep 19, 2023

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
eyyyyy

https://twitter.com/dramaturgchick/status/1703939515830673549?s=46

puncturewound78
Apr 18, 2023

redreader posted:

My insurance was fine, my co-pay was 0 earlier today. I'm on united healthcare. Pharmacist, when I mentioned insurance issues: 'yeah it sometimes takes them a while to update their systems but you're good to go'

on united medicaid, this gives me hope

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

I am the only person at my job wearing a mask tonight.