Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019
I thought that the mention of multiple people just referred to the people talking about Brand, not that there were more than one with accusations levelled at them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

not a bot posted:

I thought that the mention of multiple people just referred to the people talking about Brand, not that there were more than one with accusations levelled at them.

Absolutely not the way the original tweet was

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

30 seasons late, we decided to start watching Pointless. I really want to know who these 100 people they’re asking the questions to, because it seems anything that happened in the last 20 years is a mystery to them but things from the 40s isn’t a problem. Are they going to old people’s homes or something?

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
Slightly binged Wolf, it was OK. I liked the first major twist but not so much the second. Iwan Rheon was really fun, Sacha Dhawan grew on me. A bit too much torture for my tastes, but less than I expected from the first couple of episodes. Kept me guessing. 3.5/5

e: based on a basic rear end crime drama novel series, the author has died so is not around to say "Jack Caffery is NOT Black". (i haven't read any of the books so he might actually be Black, it's a white woman crime series so I'm guessing not). Hope the show does well enough for a sequel, it was compelling enough

eating only apples fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Sep 19, 2023

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

EL BROMANCE posted:

30 seasons late, we decided to start watching Pointless. I really want to know who these 100 people they’re asking the questions to, because it seems anything that happened in the last 20 years is a mystery to them but things from the 40s isn’t a problem. Are they going to old people’s homes or something?

Fairly sure it's pretty much straight vox pop style poo poo or online surveys and well I don't know if you've listened to the vox of the pop lately but eeeeeeeeesh.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Affirmative. Yes. Yo. Right on. My man.

Szmitten posted:

I personally don't understand his post-loving with Manuel on the radio career come existence.

Obviously the whole show is dark as gently caress but the segments with his Radio 2 show were incomprehensible to me, how in the world was that ever allowed to happen and on Radio 2 of all the stations?

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

It's Autumn. Strictly started at the weekend. Gogglebox has a new series. Taskmaster starts on Thursday. Bake Off starts next Tuesday.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

quote:

‘The scripts were the funniest things I’d ever read’: the stars of Peep Show look back, 20 years later
https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-...-20-years-later

20 years
must be about time for an inevitably disappointing reunion sequel soon.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Adrianics posted:

Obviously the whole show is dark as gently caress but the segments with his Radio 2 show were incomprehensible to me, how in the world was that ever allowed to happen and on Radio 2 of all the stations?

From the doc it seems like they'd just prerecord the show and zero people with any editorial authority would actually listen to it before putting it on air. Utterly bizarre.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

stev posted:

From the doc it seems like they'd just prerecord the show and zero people with any editorial authority would actually listen to it before putting it on air. Utterly bizarre.

I knew that was the case with the infamous Ross episode but not that it was what they always did

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

I remember this being hashed out at the time - he'd burn through podcast producers because they kept trying to reign him in, not commit crimes on air etc, but his patrons at the BBC would just remove them instead.

(no idea how this works against the whole bbc doesn' t actually make anything, just commission the podcasters' companies etc. Maybe the producers just all quit)

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

stev posted:

Theres a lot of stuff Stuart Lee said about how the bbc just werent that interested in what they were doing on This Morning With Richard Not Judy to the point where he turned up one time to find nobody had done the friday repeat edit of the show 30 mins before it was supposed to air.

I can imagine them still being pretty hands off with youth focused comedy in the mid 2000s and especially about their podcast content (tbh i wouldnt want to listen to that shite either) but its kinda amazing looking back how much the media focused only on the andrew sachs thing and how little consequences there were in the end.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

I remember thinking at the time that yeah, making Brand and Ross public enemy #1 for weeks was an overreaction but nobody seemed to talk about how loving gross their behaviour was in the first place. The show being pre-recorded, and them presumably expecting the content to be edited before it broadcast, does explain (if not condone) the incident a little.

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat

EL BROMANCE posted:

At least some of them are actual Pointless watchers. When it first started; Vanuatu, Tuvalu and Nauru were always pointless. The show has single-handedly put them into the public consciousness.

Fairly certain nobody knows anything about them other than their names though.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
Central African Republic also got memed into no longer being a reliable pointless answer iirc

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat
Was going to mention CAR but was genuinely unsure whether it was still a country. Best bet is generally countries that have newly changed names or small Caribbean islands.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Iirc they do it via some online survey and they dont tell fans of the show how to apply because they want normal people responses not pointless fan responses.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

EL BROMANCE posted:

As someone who has watched like 1000 episodes of it:
They're all in their mid 50s. They're white. They're doing it online (so if it's hard to spell it's gonna be pointless). This is why things like Family Guy or Breaking bad are like 10 points but if it's Les Dennis it's 50. After a while the game for us became "how many points will this get" and you can usually predict it pretty well

You can tell this because things that NOBODY here in the north would know will get like 35 points but blackpool tower will get 3 points.

It honestly makes it pretty easy to predict who or what will be pointless

Taear fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Sep 19, 2023

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Talking of white, this year’s Bake Off contestants…

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

Talking of white, this year’s Bake Off contestants…

Feels very southern

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Taear posted:

This is why things like Family Guy or Breaking bad are like 10 points but if it's Les Dennis it's 50. After a while the game for us became "how many points will this get" and you can usually predict it pretty well

The episode we watched today from a few weeks ago was about movie villains, and Mean Girls got 80 (the highest of anything I’ve seen so far) and Frozen got 40 and frankly now I’m even more confused. I wouldn’t have thought that many Brits a generation older than me would’ve bothered with MG, but everyone of every age is forced to watch Pixar movies.

Nothing worse than knowing most of/all of the board and just not knowing what to pick as the answer. It’ll come with watching more I’m sure. We also like how comically small the prize is and how difficult it is to obtain.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

EL BROMANCE posted:

The episode we watched today from a few weeks ago was about movie villains, and Mean Girls got 80 (the highest of anything I’ve seen so far) and Frozen got 40 and frankly now I’m even more confused. I wouldn’t have thought that many Brits a generation older than me would’ve bothered with MG, but everyone of every age is forced to watch Pixar movies.

Nothing worse than knowing most of/all of the board and just not knowing what to pick as the answer. It’ll come with watching more I’m sure. We also like how comically small the prize is and how difficult it is to obtain.

Mean girls is early 2000s so it's all over the place and if you're mid 50s you probably saw it when you were late 20s, early 30s
Frozen you've gotta be a parent (or just someone who likes disney)

You've gotta also pay attention to the way the questions are pitched and how people would think about what the question says. Like how were those answers reached, what did it ask?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

EL BROMANCE posted:

but everyone of every age is forced to watch Pixar movies.

:actually:

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat
I was stunned awhile ago when actors in Ghosts got no scoring answers. Its probably the biggest British sitcom around and not one of the hundred could name a single person in it.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Edit I have no idea how this post meant for the trek thread ended up here

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Sep 20, 2023

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo

Fatty posted:

I was stunned awhile ago when actors in Ghosts got no scoring answers. Its probably the biggest British sitcom around and not one of the hundred could name a single person in it.

To be fair other than Jim Howick (mostly because he's done so many other things) I am struggling to remember any of them (other than Charlotte and Kiell). They're just "The Horrible Histories guys".

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Is Ghosts the biggest sitcom at the moment? I only really ever see it spoken about by other comedians but I don't know anyone that actually watches it.

That said I'm struggling to think of many half decent UK sitcoms running right now.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
The next series of ghosts is to be the last. The US version of Ghosts is also huge so the creators are probably doing well financially....

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

thehustler posted:

To be fair other than Jim Howick (mostly because he's done so many other things) I am struggling to remember any of them (other than Charlotte and Kiell). They're just "The Horrible Histories guys".

Lol I came in to say the same thing. Love those guys and everything they do, can't name a single one of them without help apart from Jim Howick and Matthew Baynton.

Ghosts loving owns, the US version is surprisingly good as well.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

I know Lolly Adefope and the handsome fella who plays the Captain is Ben something. I know all the character names!

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Fatty posted:

Man people don't know actors. People REALLY don't know directors
got to really really repeat actor names to get people to remember their names

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Adrianics posted:

Ghosts loving owns, the US version is surprisingly good as well.

I actually prefer the US Ghosts. I find it's choice of Ghosts backstories way more interesting.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

PriorMarcus posted:

I actually prefer the US Ghosts. I find it's choice of Ghosts backstories way more interesting.
Theres more of it and its nice but i feel like american ghosts doesnt quite hit the same emotional highs for me.

Like Pat and Pete are the same character basically, they are both relentlessly tragically positive but Pat just has so much more pathos, theres a desperation to his positivity that Pete doest quite hit. The Pat stuff christmas episode was incredible imo.

Theres no real Robin analogue in American Ghosts either, the native american guy is too modern and worldly and the viking guy is too dumb to fit his mold. They're fun characters dont get me wrong but i love robin so much and i miss his energy a bit.

In the end tho were both winners because both versions are really good and the format lends itself to geographic adaptations. Give me austrailan ghosts too imo.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
Pat is my favourite ghost :)

Ghosts is a lovely show and there's some really great comedy in it. Think i'll save Ghosts US for Christmas holidays this year - it's nice to see a UK sitcom transferring to a US audience without falling on its arse

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine

Fatty posted:

I remember this happening LOL because I thought of Bridget Christie and Jessica Knappett's appearances in the show and then was genuinely disappointed that I could have named literally any one off the cast to win.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
I'm visiting the house from Ghosts this weekend, hope I get sucked off

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
take pics pls

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Anyone watching the new series of MAFS?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I would hope not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

It's been on in the background at my house. Bad.