Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Apoffys
Sep 5, 2011
Is it viable to split the tests in two or more test suites? Running all tests once per release may be necessary, but perhaps it's sufficient to run a smaller subset on every commit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

Apoffys posted:

Is it viable to split the tests in two or more test suites? Running all tests once per release may be necessary, but perhaps it's sufficient to run a smaller subset on every commit?

I doubt "but it passed half the tests!" is going to fly.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
There is probably a much smaller set of tests which would be good enough to run per-commit, but identifying that set is an extremely difficult problem.

Apoffys
Sep 5, 2011
Obviously the whole test suite needs to pass before the code is released to production. I assumed the scenario was "commits happen daily, releases are more rare". As long as the full test suite is run before release, any issues should be found.

It sounds like a simplified test suite would be useful in any case, just for development purposes.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
Agreed, I wonder if their CI system has the ability to run The Big Test Suite on merge, and The Small One on commit. Or hey, maybe no tests on commit, “it’s builds!” is enough for us on feature/bugfix branches.

It does sound like the eyebrow-raising part here is doing a big thing on every commit.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

If you've got a test suite that takes twelve hours to run, I wonder if many of the test cases can be converted from integration tests to unit tests. Reduce the number of dependencies that need to be spun up in the tests whose purpose isn't to verify that they are integrating correctly, that sort of thing. If you've got a matrix of test cases that result in a combinatorial explosion, parameterize them and narrow the focus of the test into as close as you can get it to a single pure function. Your codebase will benefit from having the appropriate abstractions that make this possible. Tests taking forever is a signal, too: if there's a lot of detail which you're only able to use integration tests to verify, then that's a sign that you've got too much logic embedded in the architecture of the system rather than in the parts that are easy to isolate and change.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
Has there ever been anything as huge a waste of time as the performance review?

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.

Mega Comrade posted:

no i quite enjoy getting raises

AskYourself
May 23, 2005
Donut is for Homer as Asking yourself is to ...

Jamus posted:

However, it is also the kind of domain where correctness issues can be statistical due to unexpected CPU branch predictor results or similar factors.

Alright you got me there, I guess testing for unexpected CPU branch optimization necessitate bombarding huge amount of inputs that must be run directly on a specific hardware…

However, if you are not writing the firmware or controller for some embedded component it could be argued that you are testing some other organisation code rathe than yours.

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution

AskYourself posted:

However, if you are not writing the firmware or controller for some embedded component it could be argued that you are testing some other organisation code rathe than yours.

This isn’t a great soapbox to stand on, realistically. Squirrelly branch prediction might be a problem in microcode but no end user has ever had their app crash, or their device not do what it was supposed to do, and thought “gently caress I’m never buying a device with a microcontroller from NXP again!” It’s still incumbent on the developer to make sure their product works on a given vendor’s crap if that’s how it’s being sold.

If I knew getting lost in branch prediction was a mission-critical problem my code had I’d sure as poo poo be regression testing that case however possible - while also calling up the hardware vendor and trying to figure out what the gently caress

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Rhetorical questions only
Fun Shoe

Mega Comrade posted:

Mega Comrade, great job writing a bunch of nice sounding bullshit about the bullshit goals we set in Q1 that became irrelevant a week later. I like you, so here's a 5% raise. I don't like your coworker so you get their 2.5%. Congrats on the huge raise!!

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

a dingus posted:

Mega Comrade, great job writing a bunch of nice sounding bullshit about the bullshit goals we set in Q1 that became irrelevant a week later. I like you, so here's a 5% raise. I don't like your coworker so you get their 2.5%. Congrats on the huge raise!!

Oh hey boss, what's up

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Mega Comrade posted:

Every meeting where somebody just reads you a document you could have read yourself is indeed a complete waste.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
We are doing the worst kind too, self reviews :barf:

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I left mine blank :cool:

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Mega Comrade posted:

We are doing the worst kind too, self reviews :barf:

Oh that's easy, say you made progress towards ${GOAL} but you wish you could do more

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

We just set our department and personal goals for 2023 in the last month, as an indication of how worthwhile that whole endeavour is.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

We just rearranged our teams to put our good engineers in one team to deliver something and everyone else in another. This will be fine.

Gangsta Lean
Dec 3, 2001

Calm, relaxed...what could be more fulfilling?
The moment of realization that you’re in the bad team.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck

Gangsta Lean posted:

The moment of realization that you’re in the bad team.

https://twitter.com/Shreyash_Jain_/status/1697678370761478418?s=20

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Do "the good engineers" become bad engineers when they fail to hit arbitrary deadlines set by clueless mgmt?

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

Xguard86 posted:

Do "the good engineers" become bad engineers when they fail to hit arbitrary deadlines set by clueless mgmt?

All engineers are bad, so by definition they were always bad in the first place.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
We do self reflections but according to both my manager and skip level no one actually reads them so I spend about five minutes total writing them.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
We have three Matts on our team and we have an applicant named Matt who is actually a good candidate

A real life Matt-le Royale, if you will

12Apr1961
Dec 7, 2013

Macichne Leainig posted:

We have three Matts on our team and we have an applicant named Matt who is actually a good candidate

A real life Matt-le Royale, if you will

So, how do they go around calling you? Is it Matt, Matthew and...?

Was in a similiar situation a few years ago, sharing a name with a team member. A fellow colleague from another team proposed calling us "<Name> one" and "<Name> two".

I refused, and pointed out that software engineers start counting from zero, so they should call the other team member "<Name> one", and call me "<Name> zero".

It didn't stick, but at least we avoided the unfortunate implication of ranking.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

At my previous job we had three, at one point four people with the same first name. We usually referred to them by their last name.

Apparently the three of them were some of the first people hired by the founders and it was up to them to demo the very first version of the product to the MT of a large company who would become the first customer.

They told me they went on 'stage' and were like "hi, I'm <firstname>" "and I'm <firstname>" "and I'm <firstname>".

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

We do Matt plus first initial of last name, which worked until we got four Matts with two with one shared last initial and two with a different shared last initial

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

We do Matt plus first initial of last name, which worked until we got four Matts with two with one shared last initial and two with a different shared last initial

Unfortunately you're just going to have to kill one of them.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Changing names here, but we have two guys named Joe, two guys named Rob, two guys named Sam and two guys named Seth. We had two guys named Matt and another Rob up until about a month ago. Our stakeholders include two guys named Rob, two guys named Seth, a guy named Matt, and a guy named Joe. I'm probably forgetting a few.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
Worked at a company that had 3 Daniels out of 12 total engineers. Dan, Danny, Daniel

man software development has way too many white dudes in america

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

We have this issue with Zach's

There are 4 of them across 3 related teams and they're constantly in meetings together

MisterZimbu
Mar 13, 2006
Our office had two Jonathans and a corner with our two interns, John and Nathan

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
You should only refer to people by their UUIDs.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Shut up 89131

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

prom candy posted:

Unfortunately, we never backfilled anybody born before we added the UUID column. So everyone born before the 80s is basically the same person.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

prom candy posted:

I mean we use SSN for everything else may as well use it for that too.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Just add a unique index on the first_name field and let the problem solve itself.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Cup Runneth Over posted:

I mean we use SSN for everything else may as well use it for that too.

Shockingly, SSNs are not unique! Multiple people can have the same one and sometimes a person gets more than one.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug
I think this came up earlier, but what do folks use for work notes/etc? I have been using Joplin but it's kind of clunky and I'm not that happy with it, so looking for alternatives. I like the markdown driven approach of Joplin, so Obsidian seems like a good fit, but the pricing is a bit high for me to justify at work. (50/year). I work for a Big Tech so I can't really use anything like Notion/etc, which is generally what I use personally, and I'd rather use notepad than OneNote. I loving hate OneNote.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I use a paper notepad and every time I fill up a sheet, I tear it off, put it in a drawer, and never look at it again.