Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

BrigadierSensible posted:

Even though she doesn't mention it explicitly, I would argue less Nazi, and more Elsa from Forzen vibes here.

The inspiration for the look absolutely matters here, but it's still pretty goddamn insane to demand your wedding party become clones of you to the point of bleached and dyed hair and color contacts. Does she expect skin lightening too if someone is a shade too dark?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

You'd think a story about doing acid while drunk would be interesting but lol

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I feel like I'm owed some acid for having read all that.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Khanstant posted:

I feel like I'm owed some acid for having read all that.

I wouldn't risk the bad trip.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Lemniscate Blue posted:

I wouldn't risk the bad trip.

Reading all that sober was infinitely worse than any bad trip

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

FMguru posted:

Long story with lots of updates (you can read the whole thing in r/BestofRedditorUpdates if you like), but I just wanted to highlight a nice strong spine, worthy of Pete himself

Am I wrong that I broke up with him without warning

OP's boyfriend cheats on her, she finds out, and moves all her poo poo out of their apartment and leaves a note saying we're splitsville. Ex-BF eventually tracks her down to try to explain how what he did wasn't really cheating etc. etc. which resulted in this exchange:

Atta girl.

Updates are less cheerful, Ex-BF graduates to Stalker Ex-BF and eventually to Suicide Attempt Ex-BF, while their collective friend group naturally comes down hard on OP, saying it was a one time thing and why can't you forgive him and can't you see he's in love with you and so on. Sigh.

Also, LOL forever at "I didn't mean to cheat, it just happened, I wasn't in control". Sure, pal.

The other day I re-found the website "Chump Lady" about getting out of a relationship where you've been cheated on. There's a lot of people who apparently just accidentally have sex with someone else. It also led me to this Carolyn Hax column:

quote:

My husband separated from his ex-wife six years ago as result of our affair, and we have been married for three years. There was period of estrangement from his kids (ages 22 to 28 now) around the breakup. After much abject apologizing, talking, accepting responsibility, and frankly extreme financial generosity on my husband’s part — well beyond what was legally required — they now are finally on a path to a better relationship.

As the mistress, I have been persona non grata from Day One. I accepted that both as a foreseeable consequence and as the better place for their anger than with their dad, so they could someday get on the path they now seem to be on. But as they repair their relationship and as I build very cordial relations with his extended family, who have been welcoming and gracious, I find myself unhappy with being the fall guy with his ex and kids. I exist and I no longer want to be treated as if I don’t.

His kids and ex explicitly excluded me from the kids’ high school and college graduations these past few years. That was fair, and I supported my husband as he attended. My husband has sought to introduce me to his kids several times, individually or as a group, but they have repeatedly refused, saying they are not ready. I am invited to my husband’s niece’s wedding next year — and we plan to go. However, his kids are close with her and will certainly attend. None of them has said anything to their dad yet about my being there, but it’s coming.
I don’t want to undo all the progress my husband has made, so I am prepared to bow out; he won’t go either, he says, in that case. But when will it end? Am I going to be The Mistress forever? Does adultery carry a life sentence? Appreciate any guidance about how to move forward or if we should just give up trying.

[quote]That’s a (vaguely disingenuous) rhetorical question, right, about the life sentence? Because you must already know it is, if the kids want it to be. They’re the jury. And they don’t have to be fair. They have incentive to be fair, sure, on several fronts.

First, it wouldn’t be healthy for them to resent you to their graves. General soul stuff.

Second, they either know their resentment is mostly misplaced, or they refuse to. You were right to volunteer as lightning rod to keep their electric rage off their dad — you owed them at least that — but that was an act of generosity, not logic. Their dad is the one who made and broke promises to Family 1.

Third, they risk overplaying their hand if they value the bond with their dad, since he’s already weighing boycotts if they keep insisting on leaving you out.

Again, you have little say here, so I’m saying most of this because I love the sound of my own typing. But there is one practical point: If your husband wants to, he can appeal (again) to the jury to grant you leniency. If you want to, you can ask him to do this. And if his kids want to, they can grant it. Or they can re-estrange their dad. That’s the cost-benefit analysis you and he need to do. You decided your priorities when you had the affair and reset them in the aftermath. Your frustration says they’re due for review — and that’s pretty much all you can do.[/quote
"Hi kids, I ruined your life and, unlike your father, you have no previous connection to me and no desire for a relationship. But we paid for you and we want our money's worth!"

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Why won't the children be nice to me, the mistress who blew up their parents' marriage? Isn't it about time they got over their silly grudge and let me be a part of their lives?

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Arsenic Lupin posted:

He goes even farther in the comments.

I went back to browse them myself, and in one of them he states:

"I know death is dangerous."

And it's my new favourite phrase.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
AITA for microwaving my coworker's potato?

quote:

I (19m) work in a kitchen. One of my coworkers came up to me right after I turned the oven off for the night and asked if she could bake a potato. I told her it wasn't gonna cook in time since we closed in 10 minutes. I suggested she do it in the microwave instead. She told me microwaving food causes Alzheimer's and that we shouldn't even have one in the restaurant. I just let her use the oven so she'd leave me alone.

As soon as she left I put her potato in the microwave so it would cook and then put it back in the oven after it was done. She took it home and ate it with no issues. Until the next day when she came up to me and started yelling about how if she gets Alzheimer's it's my fault. I don't even know how she found out or who told her. She basically cussed me out and is now refusing to talk to me, which in all honesty is fine by me.

I think what I did was completely harmless. I was doing her a favor, her potato wouldn't have cooked otherwise. So AITA?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Honestly I don't give a poo poo if my potato gets alzheimers

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...
AITA for bringing my kids to the community pool during “adult swim?”

quote:

Our HOA owns a community pool and in fact it’s one of the reasons we moved here. Combined we have 7 kids, I have 3 from my first marriage and a step daughter from second that I’m still involved with and my now husband has 3 kids.

One of the issues is they will essentially shut down the pool for adults only or lap swim twice a day. It’s at 9am and 1am, both of which are the best times for us of use the pool. Yesterday I just had to get out of the house so just after 1 we went to the pool and it was empty. So I figured it would be no issue.

So the kids were playing and all of the sudden 4 four adults showed up and said they were training for a marathon but said they could make it work if they put the lane lines up and we stayed on the other half of the pool. I said that was fine. My kids invented this game where they were sliding across the lines and ended up doing a head on head smash with one of the adults—very frankly the adult was Not watching where they were going.

She started screaming at the kids and I’d had enough with no only these rude people but the entire HOA in general and I gave it back. The security guard had to come and kicked us out and I let him have it too but we left when he said he would call the police. Apparently word got around the gated community Facebook page and I’ve been arguing in there for the past several hours. The general consensus was I was in the wrong and I have “horrible” kids.

AITA?

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Think the first was posted but not the update...

Car dealership will not return my car, claims I need to “buy a new one”.

quote:

On Monday I (18 male) dropped off my car (2012 Ford Fusion SE) at the Ford dealership to replace an airbag after the airbag was recalled. I was told to expect a call later that day to pick it up once the maintenance was completed, I never received a call.

Today, after several days of no contact, I called and asked when I could expect my vehicle back, I was told by the secretary that my car had several more issues that they would have to fix, claiming the transmission was broken, the engine timing belt was “corroded” and that my exhaust was “clogged”.

When I asked about the airbag replacement I was told they “hadn’t gotten around to it”.

When I expressed a desire to take the vehicle home and have another shop give me a second opinion, the receptionist became aggressive and told me that the dealership would not let me take my car home because it was “unsafe” and that they were “legally required to possess the vehicle until it was roadworthy.”

Update: Car dealership will not return my car, claims I need to “buy a new one”.

quote:

Contacted the police last night via the non-emergency line.

We met at the car dealership where the dealership fraudulently claimed that I had agreed to a trade in deal for a newer model Fusion and tried to push that narrative for five minutes before a mechanic came forward and told us that the car had been damaged by an employee who took the car to get lunch. Said employee ran into a curb and damaged the bumper, wheels, and some components on the bottom of the car

My parents and I had it towed to a local collision center for an estimate on repairs, but it is likely totaled.

We are pressing charges, and we spoke with a real lawyer on this matter last night.

Thanks for the support.

God I hope the cop get it all in the report those guys are going to be turbofucked.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I hope they drove it in reverse on the way back.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

The Lone Badger posted:

I ain't reading all that.

bunch of idiots recreate the 70s experience with zero chill

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Tom Tucker posted:

It’s all fun and games until you walk past a bakery and forget your spiderweb of lies and let the wrong word slip and have to start weeping in joy at your olfactory “miracle”

A tho OP might be, I could see them threading the needle and claiming they got a limited degree of smell back since Covid is varied enough with its symptomatology. Just gotta play that game forever with gaslighting the prior people in their life. Anyways I want to see that update.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

kimbo305 posted:

A tho OP might be, I could see them threading the needle and claiming they got a limited degree of smell back since Covid is varied enough with its symptomatology. Just gotta play that game forever with gaslighting the prior people in their life. Anyways I want to see that update.

I imagine the breakdown might come once people think they can fart without consequence around her.

Involuntary Sparkle
Aug 12, 2004

Chemo-kitties can have “accidents” too!

ApplesandOranges posted:

AITA for lying to my bf about not being able to smell?

quote:

This is a throwaway account. I (25F) met my boyfriend (24M) at a party right after the pandemic.

So, AITA for not telling my boyfriend of 3 years I haven't actually lost the ability to smell?

What year is she posting this from? 2026?

quote:

Now everyone thinks I can't smell at all, honestly life is the same because you don't even use smell that much

:confused:

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Some people think the pandemic ended when the initial lockdowns were over and that would be three years ago.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Evil Willow posted:

AITA for bringing my kids to the community pool during “adult swim?”

lmao she's getting destroyed in the comments

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Just chillin' : )

Khanstant posted:

Honestly I don't give a poo poo if my potato gets alzheimers

lol

Kitfox88 posted:

lmao she's getting destroyed in the comments

The adults had already compromised by allowing the kids to have an entire lane (if I'm reading correctly). Why would the woman be looking out for kids in her practice lane? The mum of the kids is the turbo arsehole here lol

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
1am is one of the best times for her to use the pool with her kids?

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
Yes, because that's when it inconveniences other people the most. Isn't that your #1 criteria for making decisions?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
That post was deleted for describing a violent encounter, lol

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
This is someone who does not have a habit of making good decisions, and very little concept of the idea of responsibility and consequences.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Hughlander posted:

Think the first was posted but not the update...

Car dealership will not return my car, claims I need to “buy a new one”.

Update: Car dealership will not return my car, claims I need to “buy a new one”.

God I hope the cop get it all in the report those guys are going to be turbofucked.

How fast are you driving when you hit the curb to cost that much damage?

atomicdream
Oct 4, 2017

shaking my money maker to fund my crippling glamour addiction.

Cowslips Warren posted:

Eeh, it's an 11 year old car. Dunno the blue book value of that, but some cars can be totaled by what seems like very little damage.

Edit: quick Google says about $6.7k value and if they did a ton of damage to the underside in addition to the body damage, I can see it pushing that. And presumably that value is if it's in really good condition which it presumably wasn't pre-crash.

atomicdream fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Sep 19, 2023

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling

Pope Corky the IX posted:

1am is one of the best times for her to use the pool with her kids?

1pm.

Although a 1 am swim would really open up the lanes!

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

Fiances “pranks” are costing me. (M25) (F25)

quote:

Yesterday was the perfect example. I was with my fiancé and I was driving my car. I told him that I had a headache and was super tired as we were driving home. He then starts pestering me when I’m driving, like a child. I literally felt like I was babysitting someone’s annoying kid. He was grabbing my right hand, so I was driving with my left and he didn’t let it go for me to use while taking a turn at all. Then once I snatched my arm back and slapped him out of putting us in danger, he then starts flicking my windshield wipers to drag across my dry windshield. I kept turning them off and he kept reaching over and turning them back on. I was absolutely livid. I JUST changed my wiper blades out because of bad smearing issues. JUST a couple weeks ago. I spent like $35 each on these blades and it totaled to $70 something dollars. I don’t have the money to be dishing out on more blades after I just bought me some that should do me just fine for a long time.

Regardless, I was livid that he kept pestering me. When I got back into my car today, I turned my vehicle on. Next thing you know, my wiper blades start streaking and dragging back and forth across my windshield on full whack. He set my wiper settings to the fastest setting before he got out of my car. I am loving tired of his poo poo! I get back in my car tonight and spray my windshield to get rid of dirt. The water is smearing in my vision. Again. After I just replaced my old ones and spent my money on these.

I sent him a video of my wipers streaking and beading the water all in my vision, clearly, and he says “I didn’t ruin them. They probably just need to be cleaned.” Right. Maybe I’m completely overreacting, but I’m raged right now because he didn’t listen to me and most of all I feel like he had no respect for my belongings or my wishes when I tell him to stop.

Advice?

TL;DR: I just bought new wiper blades for $75 total. Pretty expensive blades since I had the money for them. Fiancé started pestering me in the car like a child. Was happily distracting me while I was driving and kept turning on my windshield wipers on full whack onto my dry windshield. I said stop. I JUST bought these to replace my old ones. JUST. Get back in my car today, wipers start dragging across my windshield on full whack. He changed the setting before he got out of my car. Now my wiper blades are smearing all over my windshield and I CAN’T AFFORD to buy more. He says that he didn’t ruin them. They “just need to be cleaned!”. It’s like raising a child. Maybe I’m overreacting, but I hate when people ruin my stuff. Advice?

My advice is do not date fae, imps, or other minor demons.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Ghost Leviathan posted:

This is someone who does not have a habit of making good decisions, and very little concept of the idea of responsibility and consequences.

But but HOAs are supposed to keep out poor people and those nasty rough urban types not stop me and my kids doing exactly what we want to!

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Cowslips Warren posted:

It's doable, I did a lot of damage to an old car at single digit speed after sliding on black ice into a curb. Even so, I would expect it to be company policy at any reputable garage that customer vehicles are not to be used as loaners by employees.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Bonster posted:

1pm.

Although a 1 am swim would really open up the lanes!

Evil Willow posted:

One of the issues is they will essentially shut down the pool for adults only or lap swim twice a day. It’s at 9am and 1am, both of which are the best times for us of use the pool.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Charles Leclerc posted:

It's doable, I did a lot of damage to an old car at single digit speed after sliding on black ice into a curb. Even so, I would expect it to be company policy at any reputable garage that customer vehicles are not to be used as loaners by employees.

I mean officially? Yeah. In reality?

Reminds me of all the car washes I see where there are huge signs about the hand-washing, that the shop is not responsible for anything you leave in the vehicle. Oh, so your employees are just gonna dig through all my poo poo to steal?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The Bramble posted:

Fiances “pranks” are costing me. (M25) (F25)

My advice is do not date fae, imps, or other minor demons.

Running brand new wipers dry is not going to gently caress them up after what sounds like less than a few minutes. Sounds like they were lovely wipers. But dump that boyfriend in the ocean, what an idiot.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Running brand new wipers dry is not going to gently caress them up after what sounds like less than a few minutes. Sounds like they were lovely wipers. But dump that boyfriend in the ocean, what an idiot.

"My boyfriend repeatedly tried to murder us both by grabbing and harassing me while I was piloting a multi-ton vehicle. Even worse, now I need new wiper blades."

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Running them dry in a dusty environment will run scratches across your windscreen though.

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling

Ooooh! My brain filled in what made sense instead of what was written.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

BrigadierSensible posted:

Even though she doesn't mention it explicitly, I would argue less Nazi, and more Elsa from Forzen vibes here.

yeah but canonically she a) doesn't get married and 2) her party is a complete disaster so I don't know why you'd want to imitate her at a wedding

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Bonster posted:

Ooooh! My brain filled in what made sense instead of what was written.

1am was probably a typo

or maybe 9am was

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Cowslips Warren posted:

I mean officially? Yeah. In reality?

Reminds me of all the car washes I see where there are huge signs about the hand-washing, that the shop is not responsible for anything you leave in the vehicle. Oh, so your employees are just gonna dig through all my poo poo to steal?

Always take a photo of your odometer before handing over the keys, I've noticed it's more and more common for garages to unplug dashcams and shrug saying "oh we had to disconnect the battery....to change the oil....after we took it for a joyride"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

haveblue posted:

That post was deleted for describing a violent encounter, lol
Jesus christ their rules are stupid as gently caress.