Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Judgy Fucker posted:

I used to be able to embed photos from my phone (iPhone 14 pro), but the app won't let me anymore--when I click [img] it adds the [url=][/url] tags. Any ideas?

You want this thread. Short version of why is in the thread title. Just read the last few pages for more than enough arguments about the issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Diabolik900 posted:

You want this thread. Short version of why is in the thread title. Just read the last few pages for more than enough arguments about the issue.

Lol came to this thread from the app itself. But thank you very much! :tipshat:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
e: oh there was another page lol

iod
Mar 27, 2004

Michaellaneous posted:

A while ago I got signed out of the app, and now whenever I try to login it throws me Login Failed. It's not my credentials, I use a password manager and obviously posting here.

I just had this issue. I went and logged in on the browser to make sure my credentials were correct and when I switched back to the app, my password was in the username field. I put my username in manually and it worked. Then android asked if I wanted to update my password to my username. Looks like something hosed up between the app and androids password manager.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

iod posted:

I just had this issue. I went and logged in on the browser to make sure my credentials were correct and when I switched back to the app, my password was in the username field. I put my username in manually and it worked. Then android asked if I wanted to update my password to my username. Looks like something hosed up between the app and androids password manager.

Out of curiosity, do you use Chrome on your desktop and/or device? Google's been pushing their new password manager that's built in to Chrome pretty hard, so I wonder if that's the cause of the issue…

iod
Mar 27, 2004

Kheldarn posted:

Out of curiosity, do you use Chrome on your desktop and/or device? Google's been pushing their new password manager that's built in to Chrome pretty hard, so I wonder if that's the cause of the issue…

I do on both, all of that was only on my phone though.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
Android leverages the Chrome/Google password manager for app logins where it's supported. If you look up awful in the browser password manager you can see it flips things over (it did for me too, I edited it now)

FIX SIGNS
Aug 29, 2006

You're fucking great,
just do what you can.
For some reason, awful app no longer let's me tap thumbnails to enlarge them or tap user avatars / names to enlarge them and see their profile quotes and info.

Just started two days ago?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

FIX SIGNS posted:

For some reason, awful app no longer let's me tap thumbnails to enlarge them or tap user avatars / names to enlarge them and see their profile quotes and info.

Just started two days ago?

I don't think I've seen that exact problem before, but pretty much every time I've suddenly had a weird problem with buttons and such, updating webview and/or chrome has fixed it.

FIX SIGNS
Aug 29, 2006

You're fucking great,
just do what you can.
Was going to edit my post but I cannot because I can't expand to show the option.

Anyhow, I just noticed that I can also no longer tap the show howevermany previous posts button when going to a thread you've previously been reading.

FIX SIGNS
Aug 29, 2006

You're fucking great,
just do what you can.
Also, I'm using an Amazon fire 8 so webview, chrome etc aren't doable things.

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON
:minnie:

College Slice
Awful app wont display anything when I click on a thread? Any ideas on why this is happening? I uninstalled and reinstalled and get the same problem. This is on a Samsung Note 9 running Android 10 if that helps.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
That happened to me once, dumb question but did you reboot the phone?

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON
:minnie:

College Slice
Whoa, that worked! Thanks so much!

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

I guess the app doesn't like the new Friday Forum from the announcement. Tapping the link opens my web browser, and if I try to look for it under Main, it's not listed.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Kheldarn posted:

I guess the app doesn't like the new Friday Forum from the announcement. Tapping the link opens my web browser, and if I try to look for it under Main, it's not listed.

settings - forum index - force an update

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Works for me

Though it thinks I'm in my bookmarks for some reason

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Second Hand Meat Mouth posted:

settings - forum index - force an update

Neat! That worked. Thanks!

FIX SIGNS
Aug 29, 2006

You're fucking great,
just do what you can.
My previously mention issues ie: unable to click on a user to expand info, quote, see previous posts in a thread are still ongoing.

Not sure what's up but it's super annoying.

Macatt
May 3, 2005
What does changing your username under Settings > Account > Username do? I've always been afraid to try it.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
When I changed my name in that menu to Macatt all of their posts get highlighted like I posted them. So I guess that means I stole their identity?

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Macatt posted:

When I changed my name in that menu to Macatt all of their posts get highlighted like I posted them. So I guess that means I stole their identity?

neat

Macatt
May 3, 2005
^ lol

YggiDee posted:

Huh, weird feature if that's all it does.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
I think it's for if you get namechanged but the app hasn't picked it up.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Is there a way to directly copy an image to my clipboard? Currently I have to open the url in my browser and I can copy to clipboard from there, but I can't from the app (as far as I can tell).

Diamonds On MY Fish
Dec 10, 2008

I WAS BORN THIS WAY
Has anyone else been having a weird rear end bug for the past week where you're reading a thread, you swipe back to bookmarks, you click a new thread, and it then shows you the last few posts of the old thread for 2-5 seconds before auto-refreshing to the new thread?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Mine seems to do that occasionally, but for only like 0.5 seconds, barely can tell while it's loading everything.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Yeah, but I just chalked it up to being a combination of my phone and wifi...

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Diamonds On MY Fish posted:

Has anyone else been having a weird rear end bug for the past week where you're reading a thread, you swipe back to bookmarks, you click a new thread, and it then shows you the last few posts of the old thread for 2-5 seconds before auto-refreshing to the new thread?

I don't think I've ever seen that (or at least haven't noticed it).

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

I've been getting that more recently. Fully closing out the app seems to help most of the time.

Diamonds On MY Fish
Dec 10, 2008

I WAS BORN THIS WAY
It's been getting worse and worse on my phone the past week or so, up to ~5 seconds sometimes. I've closed and reopened the app a bunch, I haven't tried fully rebooting though. That's next.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I notice this from time to time and assumed it was my phone getting in need of a reboot. It was pretty bad this morning so I did that, it may have improved a bit, but not enough to definitely say that helped. It also seems pretty consistent whether I'm on wifi or cell data, maybe it's just access to the forums being randomly slow in general? :shrug:

Doctor Bishop
Oct 22, 2013

To understand what happened at the diner, we use Mr. Papaya. This is upsetting because he is the friendliest of fruits.
So Youtube embeds simply don't exist on my end despite having the option on.

It's all unmarked links both in the app and on the desktop site.

Any ideas about why this might be?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
If it's on the desktop site, I'd guess it's one of the options you have set for the forums. Taking a quick look, there's an option to embed the "video" tags.

Sorry, screenshot of the desktop site taken on my phone...

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Yeah, it's happening to every thread I open. The length of time doesn't seem to be increasing, but it's not decreasing either. Lasts around 2-2.5 seconds. Not game breaking at all, but an annoyance.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Technical thread mentioned some cloudflare issues, so it might be that. It's all normal behavior except it's supposed to happen so fast you don't notice. An extra wait at the wrong time and you see what's behind the curtain.

Doctor Bishop
Oct 22, 2013

To understand what happened at the diner, we use Mr. Papaya. This is upsetting because he is the friendliest of fruits.

Uthor posted:

If it's on the desktop site, I'd guess it's one of the options you have set for the forums. Taking a quick look, there's an option to embed the "video" tags.

Sorry, screenshot of the desktop site taken on my phone...

Thanks a bunch, that option was off and I didn't realize it.

Of course, despite that some videos would embed anyways, so that's nice and confusing.

As for the app, the Youtube embed option was on, but I turned it off then back on again and now it works.

In both cases, it doesn't work for all Youtube links. Who knows. :shrug:

But I'll count it as a victory to have it working for at least some of them instead of none.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I think there's some condensed url formatting the video tags still have trouble with, maybe it was just a random one like that.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

It is still entirely possible for people to post arbitrary links to youtube video that aren't embeds. This is by design. Though I'm not sure most people doing it do it intentionally. On desktop, there is a difference between pasting with a keyboard shortcut and with the right click menu. And I guess in the app you can use url tags instead of video tags with the same result.

This isn't like "gifs" (mp4 or webm) on image hosts where you use url tags and the decision to embed is made automatically upon the rendering of the page, divorced from the intent of the poster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Doing this as a little test. If I copy a YouTube url from my mobile browser, direct paste with no vb code:

code:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3kwDVw0u4Kw

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3kwDVw0u4Kw

If I switch to desktop view and do the same:

code:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=3kwDVw0u4Kw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=3kwDVw0u4Kw

If I use youtube's special youtu.be "share this video" link and paste it in with no vb code:

code:

https://youtu.be/3kwDVw0u4Kw?si=7FQ5eQ50orqN4OiO

https://youtu.be/3kwDVw0u4Kw?si=7FQ5eQ50orqN4OiO

And now, the same 3 URLs but using the app's "Insert Video" function (which simply adds [video ] [/video ] tags around the url in the drafted post:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kwDVw0u4Kw

[video type="youtube"]/watch?app=desktop&v=3kwDVw0u4Kw[/video]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kwDVw0u4Kw

Edit: interesting. The app (or the forum itself?) added URL tags to my first 3 URLs upon posting. And it converted the video tags on the latter three URLs to a different format:

code:

[video type="youtube"]3kwDVw0u4Kw[/video]

[video type="youtube"]/watch?app=desktop&v=3kwDVw0u4Kw[/video]

[video type="youtube"]3kwDVw0u4Kw[/video] 

(the second of which failed to embed)

Microplastics fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Sep 27, 2023