Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

The repair costs were lowered, if you play premium you can't lose SL anymore, you can actually put out fire without FPE researched; foldering of a bunch of vehicles (which cost less to research and buy; also the patch will rejigger the ranks of a few planes and tanks, with research lines starting at rank 3 (i.e. you're free to pick whatever at ranks 1 and 2)) is coming in the September patch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

BRs are still screwed up but the economy is in a much better place now. Game is still fun and the grind has been made a little less bad. Give it a go.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

The lion economy is much better now, especially with premium. The research changes are still pending but a good chunk of them are due in the upcoming major update: specifically expanding the foldering of vehicles and making the foldered vehicles cost half as much research to unlock. Due for later in the year are also research bonuses for good match performance and and for researching other trees after hitting top tier in one to make playing new nations more attractive.

SwiViwS
Nov 19, 2006
C'est vert

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpWNqWHWy2A

Sometimes this game brings so much joy to me.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

The core gameplay is better with every update, also every so often they change the sounds and they're awesome.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Being able to detonate ordnance on other airplanes is going to be incredibly gratifying.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

I suck real bad at planes so probably not going to impact me at all, but like - is that going to make bombers even worse survivability? Now center-mass shots are gonna explode the whole plane?

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

MrYenko posted:

Being able to detonate ordnance on other airplanes is going to be incredibly gratifying.

I just love the Growling Sidewinder vid where he shoots down a Viggen and for an instant it starts breaking up as normal and then - bang, it's loving vaporized

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Spiteski posted:

I suck real bad at planes so probably not going to impact me at all, but like - is that going to make bombers even worse survivability? Now center-mass shots are gonna explode the whole plane?

:getin:

I loving hope so.

Friends don’t let friends fly bombers.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

MrYenko posted:

Yeah bombers are going to be even less fun to play!! Cool

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Patch tomorrow: https://warthunder.com/en/news/8476-planned-technical-works-19092023-sons-of-attila-en

Back up your controls!

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010

very...

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Not gonna lie, I'm digging the wind effects on trees.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

OVER G OVER G OVER G OVER G OVER G OVER G OVER G

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.

MrYenko posted:

Not gonna lie, I'm digging the wind effects on trees.

I just had a game in Karelia with the wind in full effect and yeah, it really does make it so much better.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Keru posted:

I just had a game in Karelia with the wind in full effect and yeah, it really does make it so much better.

I dunno. On the scale of a full tree, it's fine. But on the scale of the individual branches, there's too much relative motion, the trees look like Dark Young flailing their tentacles around willy-nilly.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Did I read somewhere about how explosions/wind will clear smoke faster now or am I imagining it? Will I be able to use my KV-2 explosive blast to reveal all the hidey-bastards?

Also - family update. We've reached BR4.0 with my wife and BIL. Wife is playing Russia, BIL playing Germany still, and I swapped over to Russia as well for a gaff (because I've already ground past 5 on Germany) and having an absolutely hilarious time rolling 4 T-34s below BR4.
My only real challenge is figuring out how the heck to kill Churchills, those Churchill VII are just insane to take on.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Phanatic posted:

I dunno. On the scale of a full tree, it's fine. But on the scale of the individual branches, there's too much relative motion, the trees look like Dark Young flailing their tentacles around willy-nilly.

:hmmyes: collectively its a cool feature, but a couple of the aspens? on Finland looked like wacky inflatable tube men. Also they've apparently added fog, I dont know if certain maps are foggy all the time now or if a cyclical weather condition. Certainly helps protect against being blasted in your own spawn. VIDAR spam is going to be the next thing for at least the rest of 2023.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
They added a Hungary sub-tree but not the 44M Tas with it? What?

Orv
May 4, 2011
I mean I’m not exactly chomping at the bit for what would have been a deeply terrible tank had it actually gotten past prototyping.

Punished Ape
Sep 17, 2021
It was an unfinished prototype and there's a lot of speculation on its exact design. The Hungarian stuff they did add fills in WW2 and 9-10ish BR lineups nicely and that's a better outcome than what would likely be another Panther II situation.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Punished Ape posted:

It was an unfinished prototype and there's a lot of speculation on its exact design. The Hungarian stuff they did add fills in WW2 and 9-10ish BR lineups nicely and that's a better outcome than what would likely be another Panther II situation.

There's quite a few unfinished prototypes in the game already, like the Ho-Ri or the Ostwind II. I just think a heavier tank than the P40 would be nice for the Italian tree

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry

Punished Ape posted:

Hungary is a great excuse to spend an evening doing Italian low BR greatest hits as well, plus at the end I get a BTR to add to my speedy boi lineup.

Punished Ape
Sep 17, 2021

Farecoal posted:

There's quite a few unfinished prototypes in the game already, like the Ho-Ri or the Ostwind II. I just think a heavier tank than the P40 would be nice for the Italian tree

I'm not necessarily against unfinished prototype tanks, but the Ho-Ri and the Ostwind II were closer to realization and slot well within the tech tree. A lot of the info on the 44m Tas is vague and contradictory, mostly the armor which seemed to be significantly heavier than a Panther (but also weighed significantly less???? Must be made of Horthycite :byoscience:). You can go with the designers intentions and come out with a heavily armored and undergunned tank using a modified gun and engine that didn't exist, or go with the partially built prototype with existing Turan III gun and engine(s) that is also underpowered. Neither of those are really a good choice and would be a nightmare to balance.

e: an alternative would be the German Panthers and Tigers that Hungary fielded in small numbers. I know people don't like copypastes but they're historical and would help fill out the 5.7 BR.

Punished Ape fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Sep 20, 2023

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
One of the highest of highs -

https://i.imgur.com/krNdPeC.mp4

5 tanks 2 bombs :getin:

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Managed to actually bait a FW 190 into a low altitude turn fight. I haven't been able to do anything like that for years.

https://i.imgur.com/zUrUOu6.mp4

Lucky there wasn't any other enemies nearby because I'd have been an easy kill at the end of the fight.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Lord Ludikrous posted:

Managed to actually bait a FW 190 into a low altitude turn fight. I haven't been able to do anything like that for years.

One of my favorite plane things to do in CARB is getting Spitfires into extended turnfights with my La-5. They tend to believe they can just outturn anything forever and don't take the insane Russian engines into account.
Second favorite is bombing a plane following you, everyone should do that at least once

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry

GrossMurpel posted:

One of my favorite plane things to do in CARB is getting Spitfires into extended turnfights with my La-5. They tend to believe they can just outturn anything forever and don't take the insane Russian engines into account.
Second favorite is bombing a plane following you, everyone should do that at least once

On this theme hitting a plane with a tank main gun shell is transformative, especially with something dumb like an ISU-152z

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Trimson Grondag 3 posted:

On this theme hitting a plane helicopter with a tank main gun shell is transformative, especially with something dumb like an Shillelagh

:hmmyes: its surprisingly easy to dunk on Alouettes and Hinds this way

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Chaparral is actually worse than I expected, and I thought it was going to be mediocre. The MIM-72C isn't great overall with a low lock range, poor turning, and no ability to lead the target leaving you with very few viable shots. They're also easy to flare and are vulnerable to IRCM of all kinds so basically useless against anything with countermeasures of any sort. The chassis is slow and bad (the Strela-10 in comparison handles like a go-kart). It's tiered with the Strela-10 but absurdly worse in every possible way.

They also bugged the thing to have the lock circle for the missiles at a 30 degree offset downwards from their orientation, so you can't fire your missiles directly at a target, you have to lob them up at a high angle from which they have trouble turning back into the target from. Obviously they paid a lot of attention to testing this vehicle.

To make me regret grinding this thing more US teams in 11.0 are also managing something like a 20% WR right now.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Warbadger posted:

Chaparral is actually worse than I expected, and I thought it was going to be mediocre. The MIM-72C isn't great overall with a low lock range, poor turning, and no ability to lead the target leaving you with very few viable shots. They're also easy to flare and are vulnerable to IRCM of all kinds so basically useless against anything with countermeasures of any sort. The chassis is slow and bad (the Strela-10 in comparison handles like a go-kart). It's tiered with the Strela-10 but absurdly worse in every possible way.

They also bugged the thing to have the lock circle for the missiles at a 30 degree offset downwards from their orientation, so you can't fire your missiles directly at a target, you have to lob them up at a high angle from which they have trouble turning back into the target from. Obviously they paid a lot of attention to testing this vehicle.

To make me regret grinding this thing more US teams in 11.0 are also managing something like a 20% WR right now.

Thanks for the info. The Chaparral is almost in reach, I'm glad I didn't dive for it. At least for me, US win rate seems absurdly low as the BR creeps up. At 8.3 if I spawn into a full US team I assume it's an auto-lose. Everything in the US higher ranks feels a full BR behind - at 8.3 exactly one tank has a stabilizer, and the zooms on the US tanks are anemic. US planes and helicopters are situationally really good, but there's a premium in every other country that will absolutely poo poo all over you. :shepicide: I looked at the rank VI US premiums but nothing really seemed worth it, as compared to a Turm, Maus, or even a VIDAR.

Also I can only say this playing against it, but IMO the new VIDAR is annoying but not OP. I did get blasted in a plane at 3k feet by one of the radio fuses though :sigh:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Vampire Panties posted:

At least for me, US win rate seems absurdly low as the BR creeps up. At 8.3 if I spawn into a full US team I assume it's an auto-lose. Everything in the US higher ranks feels a full BR behind - at 8.3 exactly one tank has a stabilizer, and the zooms on the US tanks are anemic.

Not just you. US ground from ~6.0 or so through 9.0 is kinda massively overtiered. From the M26 to the XM-803, basically every tank feels like a slog that is vastly inferior to most of the things you face. All of the M-60s are absolute trash at their assigned BR, fighting things that are faster, with better guns firing APDSFS, and have thermals and stabilizers while you’re trying to fling loving APDS at them.

The light vehicles are pretty decent, and the air tree is superb, but gently caress me how is the T95E1 still loving 8.3. It sees T-72s and T-64s in uptiers for fucks sake. Oh ya, and the uptiers. Holy poo poo US 7.0-8.7 is near enough 100% uptiers. It’s loving ludicrous. I’m about to pass my American line with my German line because poo poo is just so much easier with a Leopard I and DF105 in your lineup instead of a loving M60 and a Sheridan. The XM-803 is the first US tank since the M47 where I feel like I’m fighting on a somewhat even playing field.

Kafouille
Nov 5, 2004

Think Fast !
Turns out the malaise era of the 70s wasn't just for cars, tanks design is very much in the doldrums for the whole 70s in the US, so you have this very large gap between the various Pattons and their lineages as immediate post-war tanks and then there's the M1.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

MrYenko posted:

Not just you. US ground from ~6.0 or so through 9.0 is kinda massively overtiered. From the M26 to the XM-803, basically every tank feels like a slog that is vastly inferior to most of the things you face. All of the M-60s are absolute trash at their assigned BR, fighting things that are faster, with better guns firing APDSFS, and have thermals and stabilizers while you’re trying to fling loving APDS at them.

The light vehicles are pretty decent, and the air tree is superb, but gently caress me how is the T95E1 still loving 8.3. It sees T-72s and T-64s in uptiers for fucks sake. Oh ya, and the uptiers. Holy poo poo US 7.0-8.7 is near enough 100% uptiers. It’s loving ludicrous. I’m about to pass my American line with my German line because poo poo is just so much easier with a Leopard I and DF105 in your lineup instead of a loving M60 and a Sheridan. The XM-803 is the first US tank since the M47 where I feel like I’m fighting on a somewhat even playing field.

:hmmyes: I fundamentally agree with everything you said, and deleted a mini-rant about how big of a piece of poo poo the T95E1 is. Maybe US tank design sucked rear end in the 60s-70s, but I'm pretty sure they used something better than a hunting rifle sight. Even with premium, even with the economy changes, its still days and days and days of grinding to get the SL to buy another vehicle, with at least two days of grinding to crew it. I used to get expert crew on everything, but i'm not wasting three days of SL on the Turd95E1.

I'm going to walk away for a bit. I may even delete my account. I've spent a lot of time in this game over the last 10+ years and its just not the same. For every 5 tanks 2 bombs, I will have multiple nights of 0-2 & out games. I got on a VIDARs team one round and I asked if they had other premiums. One dude said they had a full lineup
:dafuq:.

Its not that I necessarily care about fighting Turms/Maus/Object 279, its that I feel like I'm the only person fighting them. Coward dipshit teammates either die instantly or run away. I could write a screed about how adding the nuke to the game completely ruined it, but I had an actual argument in-game with some mouthbreather about how capping points wasn't necessary, and :airquote: there's more than one way to play this game :airquote: :downsgun:

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Vampire Panties posted:

:hmmyes: I fundamentally agree with everything you said, and deleted a mini-rant about how big of a piece of poo poo the T95E1 is. Maybe US tank design sucked rear end in the 60s-70s, but I'm pretty sure they used something better than a hunting rifle sight. Even with premium, even with the economy changes, its still days and days and days of grinding to get the SL to buy another vehicle, with at least two days of grinding to crew it. I used to get expert crew on everything, but i'm not wasting three days of SL on the Turd95E1.

I'm going to walk away for a bit. I may even delete my account. I've spent a lot of time in this game over the last 10+ years and its just not the same. For every 5 tanks 2 bombs, I will have multiple nights of 0-2 & out games. I got on a VIDARs team one round and I asked if they had other premiums. One dude said they had a full lineup
:dafuq:.

Its not that I necessarily care about fighting Turms/Maus/Object 279, its that I feel like I'm the only person fighting them. Coward dipshit teammates either die instantly or run away. I could write a screed about how adding the nuke to the game completely ruined it, but I had an actual argument in-game with some mouthbreather about how capping points wasn't necessary, and :airquote: there's more than one way to play this game :airquote: :downsgun:

Sounds like you'd be better served either playing another faction for a bit or walking away and playing something else. Deleting your entire account would be somewhat rash.

Personally I gave up on grinding out everything a long time ago and just tend to mostly play the parts of the game that I find enjoyable, which is usually German/USSR 5.7 and American 6.7. Ocassionally I do something silly like try and enjoy British tanks but soon realise my mistake.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

I hate everything from the M47 to the M60s but at least US 6.7 and 7.0 kicks rear end. The light trio of M50, M56 and T92 is amazing, and the M46 feels well-placed at 7.0 with the previous tanks not really suffering for the slight increase. And it's very situational but the T95 tank destroyer can be a pain for enemies that run into it. Add in the T29 which is one of the better premiums in the game and I'd say that 7.0 is one of the better US battle ratings.

Action-Bastard
Jan 1, 2008

Gonna say I've been doing USA 7.0-7.3 a fair bit lately, and it's much more enjoyable than the dick flattening session that was 6.3-6.7

(Seriously, going from the Shermans to that hot mess is such a shock)

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

The problem with the T95E1 is Gaijin seems to have intentionally chosen the worst possible version of the prototype.

There were versions with early composite armor, electro-optical fire control systems, gas turbine engines, night vision, larger 105mm smoothbore guns, 120mm rifled guns, etc.

Well second worst I guess. The T95E2 was just the T95 hull with the M48 turret, gun and all.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

electro-optical fire control systems

How would this manifest in the game though? Laser rangefinder I guess?
Still blows my mind a bit that real-life modern tanks are easier to automatically aim at a target than the video game equivalent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry

Kafouille posted:

Turns out the malaise era of the 70s wasn't just for cars, tanks design is very much in the doldrums for the whole 70s in the US, so you have this very large gap between the various Pattons and their lineages as immediate post-war tanks and then there's the M1.

Also the total lack of US SHORAD for the period doesn’t help.