Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I do not want to have to download an app to pick up my order or place an order. Why can't I just do both from the store website?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

Was very unhappy about big-box-chain-hardware-store moving to only self checkout. OTOH every $4.00 bolt is now accidentally a $0.20 washer, so what has become shittier are my skills as an unwilling retail worker

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
When I open a new browser, the pointer doesn't immediately engage the address bar. Even F6 doesn't do it, I have to manually click the bar. Please tell me how to fix :(

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

ProperCoochie posted:

When I open a new browser, the pointer doesn't immediately engage the address bar. Even F6 doesn't do it, I have to manually click the bar. Please tell me how to fix :(

On Windows computers F6 usually puts focus on the address bar in Windows explorer and most browsers.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.

anonumos posted:

On Windows computers F6 usually puts focus on the address bar in Windows explorer and most browsers.

.. you don't say?

caleb
Jul 17, 2004
...rough day at the orifice.
I just turned on my $100 garbage television and the splash screen was a denim advertisement.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

anonumos posted:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

lol

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Alt+F4 is a more reliable way to get keyboard focus where it needs to be.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Wendigee posted:

My cosmic crisp apples ended up ringing up as red delicious somehow it is a mystery

4020 smoke golden delicious every day

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
Not sure what response would have been any more useful given the missing information regarding what OS or browser are being used.

humpthewind
Jan 8, 2007

Noblest of all dogs is the hot-dog; it feeds the hand that bites it.

ProperCoochie posted:

Ctrl + L works most of the time. Ironically not when typing a post.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Crossposting from the Trump lol thread:

You Are A Elf posted:

A local old timer AM radio station has had the same programming for 25 years and actually really owned to fall asleep listening to. They played everything from the ‘40s to the ‘90s, with an emphasis on ‘40s and ‘50s standards and ‘60s and ‘70s oldies. Lots of different music and minimal commercials; it was a nice break from the garbage-rear end radio landscape.

I hadn’t listened to them in a minute, and I noticed the app I had for it changed on my phone. I looked closer and it changed to FREEDOM 1400, THE PATRIOT’S VOICE. Fuckin’ Cumulus flipped it to conservative talk radio three weeks ago.

Dunno whether to :lol: or :smith:

Looks like it’s back to my old white noise generator :sigh: More garbage talk radio for garbage people.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Oh god that gave me flashbacks. When I was a kid my dad used to listen to the oldies station non stop whenever he was driving. We lived way out in the middle of nowhere so every trip to the store took forever. Just years and years of the some old songs.

Decades later I got a job in a manufacturing plant and one of the guys nearby had a shop radio that he kept tuned to an oldies station and it was THE! EXACT! SAME! SONGS! AGAIN! Once I'd put some time in I talked to the guy and explained "I'm sorry, I just cannot stand that station. Can you tune it to literally anything else?" He didn't really care and just switched it to some sports station which probably saved my career and mental health.

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

wash bucket posted:

Oh god that gave me flashbacks. When I was a kid my dad used to listen to the oldies station non stop whenever he was driving. We lived way out in the middle of nowhere so every trip to the store took forever. Just years and years of the some old songs.

Decades later I got a job in a manufacturing plant and one of the guys nearby had a shop radio that he kept tuned to an oldies station and it was THE! EXACT! SAME! SONGS! AGAIN! Once I'd put some time in I talked to the guy and explained "I'm sorry, I just cannot stand that station. Can you tune it to literally anything else?" He didn't really care and just switched it to some sports station which probably saved my career and mental health.

Well they’re not making new oldies are they

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

wash bucket posted:

Buddy Holly Oldies or Led Zep?

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

redshirt posted:

Buddy Holly Oldies or Led Zep?

Buddy Holly oldies. Honestly by the time I took that job they should have already shifted to playing 80s pop songs.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

wash bucket posted:

Lol my Boomer dad did the same. Same station on all of his radios, KWFM Cool Oldies. They loving LOVED to play “California Dreamin’” every five minutes.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
replace radio stations with "streamer x" or "youtube channel x" and it's the same today. nothing's changed in that regard. people like their routine.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Sirius Xm has nice old fashioned radio channels

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Boomers always want something on they've always got to have the radio going or the TV or something all the fuckin time it's exhausting

What I chalk it up to is them being Cold War babies and always being a half hour away from a complete nuclear holocaust destroying their entire world: so they always have to be receiving some kind of signal just to let them know the missiles aren't currently incoming

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Boomers always want something on they've always got to have the radio going or the TV or something all the fuckin time it's exhausting

What I chalk it up to is them being Cold War babies and always being a half hour away from a complete nuclear holocaust destroying their entire world: so they always have to be receiving some kind of signal just to let them know the missiles aren't currently incoming

It's because their lead-addled brains are riddled through with holes and they're unable to function without constant noise to distract them from thinking about how repugnant they are.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Probably also tinnitus that they refuse to accept they have, just like how they don't need glasses they just have some cheaters

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Hmm

(Puts phone in pocket)

Extra row of tits
Oct 31, 2020
Books.

Books are terrible now. Every book by a well know author is subpar garbage that would slip by completely unremarked if it didn’t have a famous name attached or is some goofy one off piece of poo poo with a designed-solely-to-be-noticed-on-the-shelf name “It’s Shelly Gibsons 30th birthday and my thighs are fat” by 30 year old barely talented hack who will be gone in a year.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

Extra row of tits posted:

Books.

Books are terrible now. Every book by a well know author is subpar garbage that would slip by completely unremarked if it didn’t have a famous name attached or is some goofy one off piece of poo poo with a designed-solely-to-be-noticed-on-the-shelf name “It’s Shelly Gibsons 30th birthday and my thighs are fat” by 30 year old barely talented hack who will be gone in a year.

Just stick to 90s star wars EU books.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Armacham posted:

:hai:

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

Noobles posted:

Speaking of Adblock, here’s a screenshot I took of a real, actual website earlier today while browsing on my new phone which did not have an Adblock installed. I mean, it’s comical at this point. I now have Adblock set up.

you may not like it, but this is what peak performance looks like

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Noobles posted:

Speaking of Adblock, here’s a screenshot I took of a real, actual website earlier today while browsing on my new phone which did not have an Adblock installed. I mean, it’s comical at this point. I now have Adblock set up.

Howdo you set up adblock, by the way?

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

my god. it's full of posts
the mobile web is unusable and i will be waiting to greet the people responsible in hell

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

armpit_enjoyer posted:

the mobile webeverything is unusable and i will be waiting to greet the people responsible in hell

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill

humpthewind posted:

Ctrl + L works most of the time. Ironically not when typing a post.

Works for me, thank you. Difficult thing to google search (since it's trash now)

Books.

You're not wrong. To me it seems like the industry is designed around impulsive eBook purchases, two quick taps on the screen and you've got a sale. So, wacky titles and covers. Sometimes I wonder if the "hacks" are even real. I bet there are writers cranking these out that publishers then filter to bigger names, careers. It's like a factory manufacturing the next batch over and over. Just turning the crank and out plops more.

More literary stuff is boring too. Here's a good reddit thread discussing the 2023 Nation Book Awards for Fiction

Everything is identity politics, traumatic injustice, grief tourism.

It's like the 00s-10s when everything was Iowa Workshop, nice precocious children POV, Brooklyn.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

ProperCoochie posted:

To me it seems like the industry is designed around impulsive eBook purchases, two quick taps on the screen and you've got a sale. So, wacky titles and covers. Sometimes I wonder if the "hacks" are even real. I bet there are writers cranking these out that publishers then filter to bigger names, careers. It's like a factory manufacturing the next batch over and over. Just turning the crank and out plops more.

I ghostwrote lovely romance novels for the Kindle store a few years back, this is 100% how it works.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
The thing with books is that everybody living today has an inexhaustible backlog of stuff that they'd never get through in a hundred lifetimes, so does it really matter if much of the current production of books is poisoned by market forces?

It's not like you need to read the books that came out this year to enjoy the pleasure of reading, there is literally centuries of content to choose from.

Mudlark
Nov 10, 2009

armpit_enjoyer posted:

the mobile web is unusable and i will be waiting to greet the people responsible in hell

Sorry, my bosses let me buy a house as part of that particularly Faustian deal. :smith:

Books.

God, yes. Literary writing has always suffered from trends and tropes pretty heavily, but lately I haven't even bothered giving the stuff that percolates up to popularity more than a cursory glance. It's just not worth it. They read like... well, basically young-adult fiction marketed toward 30 year olds. Or they generally come across as beat-by-beat, paint-by-numbers templates that copy each other shamelessly. Don't get me wrong, I know parents can be lovely - I've got a couple of my own - but do we really need 500+ hanger-ons to `I'm Glad My Mom Died`? It's all for the ebook purchases, and riding trends, yeah, but gently caress me is it hard to find anything with substance to it these days instead of - I don't know - the literary equivalent of a TikTok hashtag.

Armacham posted:

loving word.

And for my own personal complaint:

Literally every goddamned news site is a mess of half-implemented paywalls, adblocker checks and cookie notifications. Just trying to pull up a list of literary top-100s by year would've got something close to $90 out of me, had I been doing things by the numbers. I loving hate Twitter and Reddit and etc., but they really are the best places to skim the news for mostly-free these days and it's ridiculous; I have no idea how someone with no technical knowledge uses the internet these days.

E: my back also hurts and I just got angry about loud music maybe i'm just getting old gently caress

Mudlark fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Sep 19, 2023

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
I mostly read sci-fi and feel like there's a good amount of new decent stuff coming out still, or at least, I am far less jaded about it than movies. Partly this is because recent years have really moved toward gender equality in awards and publishing in genre fic

the god awful "Kaiju Preservation Society"' getting a Hugo nomination probably isn't a good sign though

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

if this accounts a rockin'
don't come a knockin'
I’m sure it’s been mentioned many many times but everyone is being subtly programmed via social media to be reflexively horrible to each other and it’s enshittifying and corrupting pretty much all human communication

Mudlark
Nov 10, 2009

Minotaurus Rex posted:

I’m sure it’s been mentioned many many times but everyone is being subtly programmed via social media to be reflexively horrible to each other and it’s enshittifying and corrupting pretty much all human communication

Precisely the reason I decided to come back and see if Something Awful was still around and active. Y'all are alright :unsmith:

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

if this accounts a rockin'
don't come a knockin'

Mudlark posted:

Precisely the reason I decided to come back and see if Something Awful was still around and active. Y'all are alright :unsmith:

Right on, welcome back

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

SA owns

its the only forum thats stayed consistently pretty good over my whole online life

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Moderated chronological-listing forums are the future