Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Now he has time to do the Akira adaptation!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

muscles like this! posted:

Another one bites the dust as Taika Waititi's Star Wars project is reportedly DOA.

This isn’t confirmed. Waititi made a joke about Shawn Levy at the TIFF Tribute Awards of “maybe unlike me he’ll finish his Star Wars” and a lot of sites reported that as confirmation it’s been cancelled, but that likely just means he hasn’t gotten to it yet and several blogs with inside sources are claiming it’s still on.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
I'm putting my money on the Barbarian guy for the next buzzy genre director tapped to develop American Akira when Taika moves on from the project

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
What are the Wallace and Gromit people doing these days?

Why not get them to do it? While I think there's little chance a Akira remake would be good, they could make it interesting at the least.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
im sure with the success of one piece they'll want to revisit it

for netflix

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

dr_rat posted:

Why not get them to do it? While I think there's little chance a Akira remake would be good, they could make it interesting at the least.

They actually did a short Star Wars film on Disney+ with Dennis Lawson as Wedge Antilles, with probably more dialogue than he has in all the actual movies combined.

Also in contrast to the Taika news, Donald Glover’s Lando show is now going to be a movie.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures

dr_rat posted:

In the case of Wallace, not much sadly :(

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

There have been so many rumored Star Wars film projects that have all kind of ended up not happening in the last several years. The only one I think definitely happens is the film that is supposed to tie in the Disney+ TV shows since that’s Dave Filoni’s project.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

dr_rat posted:

There's a Chicken Run sequel coming out later this year.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

we regret to inform you the russell brand starring vehicle jedi show is cancelled

we will be casting jared leto in an as of yet to be announced sith project

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I’m still so sad he got all up in Tron

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Action Jacktion posted:

There's a Chicken Run sequel coming out later this year.

Chicken Trench Run. Pay me Hollywood.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Alan Smithee posted:

we regret to inform you the russell brand starring vehicle jedi show is cancelled

we will be casting jared leto in an as of yet to be announced sith project

Why so sith-ious?

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

FlamingLiberal posted:

There have been so many rumored Star Wars film projects that have all kind of ended up not happening in the last several years. The only one I think definitely happens is the film that is supposed to tie in the Disney+ TV shows since that’s Dave Filoni’s project.

The New Jedi Order film will also almost certainly happen at some point, if only because eventually they’re going to do a movie with the sequel characters years later. Only a matter of when.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

CelticPredator posted:

I’m still so sad he got all up in Tron

As much as I would like another Tron movie, I can only hope that the strike kills this one.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

FlamingLiberal posted:

The only thing that has more rumored film projects than Star Wars is Taika Waititi himself. I swear to god he’s attached to 6-8 projects currently.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

X-Ray Pecs posted:

The only thing that has more rumored film projects than Star Wars is Taika Waititi himself. I swear to god he’s attached to 6-8 projects currently.

The Incal lol

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

MacheteZombie posted:

The Incal lol

GOD. Insufferable.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

X-Ray Pecs posted:

It's really cool he just gave up one of the project slots (a series deal with fx) he had available so that Reservation Dogs could be made.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

MacheteZombie posted:

The Incal lol

i think he just loves taking promo photos

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
I would like to issue a correction on my previous post. After checking IMDB, he’s attached to 10 projects, including a TV remake of Time Bandits, a remake of the Disney Channel Original Movie Tower of Terror, and a movie called Oompa-Loompas.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

i think he just loves taking promo photos

If I was getting paid to take a photo and say I'm going to do something I would too. Easy money

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

X-Ray Pecs posted:

I would like to issue a correction on my previous post. After checking IMDB, he’s attached to 10 projects, including a TV remake of Time Bandits, a remake of the Disney Channel Original Movie Tower of Terror, and a movie called Oompa-Loompas.

Lmao

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

has Taika ever made a movie or is he just an ideas man

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Man, that last Thor movie really killed any goodwill he ever had. Dude had multiple oscar nominations just a few years back and he's getting clowned like he's Max Landis ITT.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Alan Smithee posted:

has Taika ever made a movie or is he just an ideas man

He, a Jewish man, made a Holocaust movie that I saw multiple Jewish people say was horrendously offensive, so he made at least one.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

like, is Our Flag THAT good cuz I still see people getting easily baited by the pandering aspect

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

Alan Smithee posted:

like, is Our Flag THAT good cuz I still see people getting easily baited by the pandering aspect

Eh, Our Flag is fine. But the original What We Do in the Shadows is a lifetime pass as far as I'm concerned, Jojo Rabbit was loving fantastic and his early stuff (Boy, Hunt for the Wilder People) is really good as well.

In general, the guy makes his best work as far removed from franchises as possible. But if the occasional Thor or Star Wars is what gets the money to make those, then I'm willing to accept it.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

Waititi seems like he had a couple of good ideas for movies but ran through them pretty fast. I loved What We Do In The Shadows and Wilderpeople but nothing he's done since has been better than OK. Some parts of Ragnarok are good but it's very uneven overall and it's gotten to the point that I have to wonder how much of what worked so well with Shadows was actually due to Jemaine Clement.

Maybe Next Goal Wins will be good but some early reviews I saw didn't sound promising.

I think he could have more good stuff in him if he'd just cool it for a bit but I don't see that happening anytime soon.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

What We Do in the Shadows and Hunt for the Wilderpeople were both pretty fun but he burned through that goodwill fast. I didn't see Jojo Rabbit but it looked like the worst bullshit ever.

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

What We Do in the Shadows and Hunt for the Wilderpeople were both pretty fun but he burned through that goodwill fast. I didn't see Jojo Rabbit but it looked like the worst bullshit ever.

A few years ago, me and some friends decided to watch Jojo as a double feature with The Producers for our local European memorial day. It worked really well, because both films deflate the bullshit bravado of nazism by framing it as the ridiculous camp it is.

Also, the knowledge that those current nazi shitheads calling themselves "the proud boys" got their name from a Disney musical added a whole new layer to The Producers. Aged like a fine wine, that one did.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Jojo Rabbit is a movie that I feel you’re gonna give a lot less credit if you know he made the pee pee doo doo nazi comedy out of a book that was a serious-as-a-heart-attack drama about fascism and the way it destroys your soul.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Jojo Rabbit is a movie that I feel you’re gonna give a lot less credit if you know he made the pee pee doo doo nazi comedy out of a book that was a serious-as-a-heart-attack drama about fascism and the way it destroys your soul.

i just already saw Life is Beautiful when it first came out and i didn't particularly like it then either

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

i just already saw Life is Beautiful when it first came out and i didn't particularly like it then either

A great film festival to do would be Schmaltzy, Offensive Holocaust Films.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Jojo Rabbit probably butchered a good book but I would rather take it then yet another oscar bait weepy holocaust drama.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

So we got Jojo Rabbit, Life is Beautiful, and the first public screening of The Day The Clown Cried. What else we got?

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Finally, a good time to dig The Day the Clown Cried out of the vault!

e:fb

Didn't Boy in the Striped Pyjamas get a film adaptation? That belongs on the pile for sure

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I’ve heard that Captive Skies really sucks, and the Jojo character is completely unlikable at all. Just a slog to get through.

Love and Thunder isn’t bad. Especially with what Marvel has been pumping out lately. It’s a step down from Ragnarok but whatever.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

X-Ray Pecs posted:

So we got Jojo Rabbit, Life is Beautiful, and the first public screening of The Day The Clown Cried. What else we got?

Jakob the Liar, Boy In The Striped Pajamas, The Reader. Uwe Boll's Auschwitz is fascinating in its tastelessness but it's not sentimental or anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Jojo Rabbit is one of the worst films nominated for an Oscar I've ever seen but then again I didn't even like his early stuff