Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Aphrodite posted:

Each player gets to block with 1 creature.

I don't think that's right. I think the player to the left of the active player gets to declare blockers first, if they declare a blocker, no-one else can block. Otherwise player to the left, etc.. I'm not 100% sure on this but, there's only 1 combat happening, and what silent arbiter really says "is no more than one creature can be declared as an attacker each combat...no more than one creature can be declared as a blocker each combat."

I looked around for rulings and don't see any that specifically address this, but that's certainly how I would interpret it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

pseudanonymous posted:

I don't think that's right. I think the player to the left of the active player gets to declare blockers first, if they declare a blocker, no-one else can block. Otherwise player to the left, etc.. I'm not 100% sure on this but, there's only 1 combat happening, and what silent arbiter really says "is no more than one creature can be declared as an attacker each combat...no more than one creature can be declared as a blocker each combat."

I looked around for rulings and don't see any that specifically address this, but that's certainly how I would interpret it.

Blocking essentially happens in a vacuum.

802.4b: When determining whether a defending player’s blocks are legal, ignore any creatures attacking other players and any blocking creatures controlled by other players.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

PicklePants posted:

And because he could send Stangg after two different people, we were kind of curious as to how blocking would work. Would the person next in the order get a chance to block first, and then the next player is out of luck and has to take the damage?

802.4b When determining whether a defending player’s blocks are legal, ignore any creatures attacking other players and any blocking creatures controlled by other players.

Each player may block with 1 creature and the other players don't affect them.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Alright, how do I make an alt-art card again? With the little name udner to show what the original card is? It's for my upcoming Ob Nixilis deck.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

serefin99 posted:

Just an fyi, replacement effects like these will never loop infinitely, they can only modify the same 'event' once. Likewise, having City On Fire and Fiery Emancipation out at once won't turn any instance of damage into infinite damage.

No, but 18x damage should be sufficient :v:

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!

Toshimo posted:

802.4b When determining whether a defending player’s blocks are legal, ignore any creatures attacking other players and any blocking creatures controlled by other players.

Each player may block with 1 creature and the other players don't affect them.

Hey! Thank you all for the answer!

starbarry clock
Apr 23, 2012

king of teh portal
whats the best precon you can get that also wont make people get stroppy

i bought the coin flip secret lair one but i still have people complaining about an unedited precon that is literally rng if it goes off

seems like theres so many eggshells to walk on in commander sometimes

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

MonsieurChoc posted:

Alright, how do I make an alt-art card again? With the little name udner to show what the original card is? It's for my upcoming Ob Nixilis deck.

There's a way to get a card conjurer mirror working locally on your machine using a guide. They have options built in for the little subtitle thing with the OG card name on it. The original cardconjurer site now just makes non magicy looking cards so you have to use a workaround for the old version (that's still updated IIRC so not really old)

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

starbarry clock posted:

i bought the coin flip secret lair one but i still have people complaining about an unedited precon that is literally rng if it goes off

You might get a little pushback about them being universes beyond cards but the 40k decks are good fun and very synergistic since almost every card was created for the decks. The Imperium and Ruinous Powers have tribes that are relevant as well so you have places to grow with them.

And if they are too pricey or hard to find, a couple of youtubers have created their own 'precons' with links to auto fill your cart with the cards needed.

Macdeo Lurjtux fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Sep 18, 2023

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

starbarry clock posted:

Tell 'em to go kick rocks.

You need to have the energy as the dude in the glasses (the other two are stand-ins for the other players in the pod): https://youtu.be/NAhNBr2Wytk?si=YirT3BZ8QcZ9CxNz

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

starbarry clock posted:

I wouldn't count that one as a precon since it's about 10x more powerful than any other fully packaged deck wizards has made in the past few years. Also I wish I had your play group as everyone I know plays decks as if they picked them from a top 10 most hated commander list like winota, yuriko, urza etc.

starbarry clock
Apr 23, 2012

king of teh portal

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

You might get a little pushback about them being universes beyond cards but the 40k decks are good fun and very synergistic since almost every card was created for the decks. The Imperium and Ruinous Powers have tribes that are relevant as well so you have places to grow with them.

And if they are too pricey or hard to find, a couple of youtubers have created their own 'precons' with links to auto fill your cart with the cards needed.

ill take a look at the 40k precons soon i think i remember seeing them recently at my lgs

Batterypowered7 posted:

You need to have the energy as the dude in the glasses (the other two are stand-ins for the other players in the pod): https://youtu.be/NAhNBr2Wytk?si=YirT3BZ8QcZ9CxNz

havent had anybody refuse to play thx god but yeah i just want something that can win a game but also reduce complaints overall i like people to have fun and not be stroppy and ive been meaning to expand my collection anyway so buying a new precon seems win/win

Spanish Manlove posted:

I wouldn't count that one as a precon since it's about 10x more powerful than any other fully packaged deck wizards has made in the past few years. Also I wish I had your play group as everyone I know plays decks as if they picked them from a top 10 most hated commander list like winota, yuriko, urza etc.

it feels broken powerful once in a blue moon but it also relies heavily on the thumb and one exile artifact/permanent effect is all it takes to effectively neuter the deck so idk if its really that bad

i like my lgs a lot and theres a lot of cool peeps but every once in a while i get a grumble about me playing something i think is just fun not overly competitive

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Get the knights precon. It's easy to fiddle with and plays well out of the box.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

I want to put together something low power for a group that mostly plays upgraded precons.

Ideally something that has tons of zone interactions and durdle poo poo and won't just flat-out overpower these folks. I remember someone had suggested Vega the Watcher. Any other suggestions?

generatrix
Aug 8, 2008

Nothing hurts like a scrape

Nehru the Damaja posted:

I want to put together something low power for a group that mostly plays upgraded precons.

Ideally something that has tons of zone interactions and durdle poo poo and won't just flat-out overpower these folks. I remember someone had suggested Vega the Watcher. Any other suggestions?

Combo-less Obeka Brute Chronologist is fun. If you include both big dumb creatures with triggered drawbacks, and delayed trigger things like myriad, dash, and blitz then playing your turns is interesting because you have to puzzle out the right order to play things or attack and when to end the turn at the right time to keep the most stuff. Make sure to include a Lord of Tresserhorn and/or Eater of Days.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Nehru the Damaja posted:

The EDHRec guys have links to their decklists. Maybe one of those would be low-power enough.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

I think I want Eriette to be the next deck I build. Have you all played against any spicy brews recently? I'm probably looking to make this one a 7-8, so not quite cEDH, but tuned well.

E:

She's probably not a good cEDH commander anyway.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Batterypowered7 posted:

I think I want Eriette to be the next deck I build. Have you all played against any spicy brews recently? I'm probably looking to make this one a 7-8, so not quite cEDH, but tuned well.

E:

I put this together and it's been fun to just grind people out and let them fight each other. Nothing super fancy about it but there's enough card draw and interaction to not just get poo poo on after people realize the effects of the curses. It needs a few more effects like ghostly prison, so I'll keep tinkering with it.

https://www.moxfield.com/decks/AY_PoCd5kEGHyhhf6TlFxA

Kadath
Aug 17, 2004

Put Your 'Lectric Eye On Me, Babe
Grimey Drawer
She seems custom built to head an enchantment based pillowfort deck, but those decks always tend to be boring as hell to play. At least she has a built in win con with her life loss thing since a lot of those decks just make combat impossible and then sit around while everyone does nothing.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

I briefly considered suiting up my opponent's creatures. Then I realized how awful that'd be the second she's removed, lol

generatrix
Aug 8, 2008

Nothing hurts like a scrape

Batterypowered7 posted:

E:

Curse/stax seems like it might work, but she's a fairly slow win con. I've only played against her in brawl so far, but I think an interesting multiplayer aspect is that you can put a beneficial aura on someone else's creature, and it can still swing at anyone but you.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
It's very thematic if you want to roleplay as a wicked witch. My trick was politics with stuff like tenuous truce and loran, then having to play tower defense once I played exquisite blood and the table brought out the torches and pitchforks to come burn down my castle. You won't get consistent wins and you're totally hosed against very aggressive decks or when aura shards comes out. But it's a fun, janky midrange deck where you get to play the saturday morning cartoon villain.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Batterypowered7 posted:

I briefly considered suiting up my opponent's creatures. Then I realized how awful that'd be the second she's removed, lol

There are so many negative auras that the only positive ones I'd run are the big buff spells, ones that grant indestructible, and spirit/vampiric link

Curses are auras too, so windmill slam that Trespasser's Curse against the literal child running the tokens deck, and Overwhelming Splendor on the rude nerd running chunguses or ETB.dec (yarok or mommy norn)

Throw in the pillowfort cards and the Exquisite Blood/Sanguine Bond combo with Vito for backup and baby, you got a stew goin'

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon
I been taking the OG commander arsenal decks and upgrading them for all the stuff that came out in the lasts decade.

Played Kaalia tonight, it was fun and wild. Throwing together Nekusar now

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Nowhere near fleshed out, but it's where I'm starting: https://www.moxfield.com/decks/8jrG5N-inECPo2upoQKRuw

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Check out Commander Mechanic (me) on YouTube. I have a whole bunch of “build your own precon” budget brews that are focused fun and interactive.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Balon posted:

Check out Commander Mechanic (me) on YouTube. I have a whole bunch of “build your own precon” budget brews that are focused fun and interactive.

I spend too much time in the TrumpLOL thread in GBS. Reminded me of "your favorite president (me)".

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I’m loving the pseudo precon my flgs made for King of the Oathbreakers.

What would be funny to put in the deck?

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

MonsieurChoc posted:

I’m loving the pseudo precon my flgs made for King of the Oathbreakers.

What would be funny to put in the deck?

Armageddon and Ravages of War.

Atropha
Nov 17, 2010

Batterypowered7 posted:

E:

https://archidekt.com/decks/5332070/eriette_mchant_eriette
Haven't put it together yet but I went for less full-on pillowfort and wait for Exquisite Blood/Sanguine Bond approach and more making my Auras hard to get rid of, goad things and steal creatures when they die. While draining people enough to get them into range to close it out with Angels/Pegasi/Spirits. Not sure how strong it'll end up being but I like the idea of playing into the villain theme and cursing people to squabble amongst themselves.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Batterypowered7 posted:

E:

CGB just played Eriette on Worst Possible: https://www.moxfield.com/decks/QNo-3xwbKUW8IySzekh4Hg

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Batterypowered7 posted:

I spend too much time in the TrumpLOL thread in GBS. Reminded me of "your favorite president (me)".

we need A Fancy Hat to write an unhinged trump rant about how unfairly he was treated by the lgs staff when he claimed 3-0/6-0 at his prerelease draft but went 0-3/2-4 and got called out and dq'd

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Lmao

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

I'm trying to make a commander deck work for my favorite bad commander, Brion Stoutarm. Trying to win with Fling, but the deck kinda developed an equipment subtheme, since I want stuff like swiftfoot boots, lightning greaves, sunforger, commander's plate, darksteel plate, champion's helm and helm of the host. Then I added a couple of equipment tutors (stonehewer, taj-nar swordsmith, steelshaper's gift), and then a batterskull and skullclamp. My latest addition is Lion Sash, since it can get big, attach to things to make them big, and also randomly hose GY strategies

Since I have Helm of the Host, I added Godo and Aurelia for infinite combat phases (as long as nobody can block)

For wincons I have Serra Avatar, to just smack someone with my life total. I also have Phyrexian Processor and Moltensteel Dragon to smack people for huge amounts of damage. Gratuitous Violence to double damage, to make sure I can kill people, rings of brighthearth for the same reason, and finally, Prophecy all-star, Keldon Battlewagon. Can tap my creatures to buff its power, then tap itself to double its own power, then fling. Then there's also filler like Hamletback Goliath and War Elemental to fling.

Other subthemes
- reanimation. Feldon, Emeria, Emeria Shepherd, Adakar Valkyrie, sun titan - lets me throw things multiple times
-stealing: Molten Primordial, Zealous Conscripts, Grab the Reins, Insurrection. - lets me throw the biggest creature on the board
- lifegain - Well of Lost Dreams, Cradle of Vitality. Commander's lifelink is basically my main source of lifegain. and I guess batterskull
- ramp - this poo poo is expensive. Random mana rocks, Land Tax, burnished hart, weathered wayfarer.
- card draw - lmao almost nothing. Skullclamp, Solemn Simulacrum, loreseeker's stone
- board wipes - wrath of god, akroma's wrath, austere command, hallowed burial
- utility - Sunforger (can hit stuff like master warcraft, grab the reins, swords, path, orim's thunder, gods willing, return to dust) Blood Moon (because gently caress em) Mother of Runes

I know the deck needs more card draw, but I'm in boros so what's even good and not super expensive? And I think probably needs Sneak Attack There's so many things to get out, enchantments, equipment etc before my commander really comes online. My commander probably isn't going to survive a turn without being hexproof and indestructible either. I also think I could probably find better stuff for Sunforger to tutor.

I've also been thinking about if I have enough of an equipment theme to just put in Puresteel Paladin, Forge Anew, Sigarda's Aid, Colossus Hammer, and stoneforge mystic, Ardenn etc. Then I could also include the Kaldra equipments and make Kaldra tokens to throw. But that's just a different version of the deck, and less about doming someone for a comically large amount of damage with my commander.

Anybody have any thoughts? I'm sure there's something I'm missing to cheat stuff into play, or make a REALLY big creature. Mostly I feel like I don't have enough for the deck's main theme of flinging. I could probably cut some removal and a board wipe for some more card draw. I also think the ramp could use an update, White has better ways to get lands into play now. I think I also have a sword of the animist I should throw in.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

A Moose posted:

I'm trying to make a commander deck work for my favorite bad commander, Brion Stoutarm. Trying to win with Fling, but the deck kinda developed an equipment subtheme, since I want stuff like swiftfoot boots, lightning greaves, sunforger, commander's plate, darksteel plate, champion's helm and helm of the host. Then I added a couple of equipment tutors (stonehewer, taj-nar swordsmith, steelshaper's gift), and then a batterskull and skullclamp. My latest addition is Lion Sash, since it can get big, attach to things to make them big, and also randomly hose GY strategies

Since I have Helm of the Host, I added Godo and Aurelia for infinite combat phases (as long as nobody can block)

For wincons I have Serra Avatar, to just smack someone with my life total. I also have Phyrexian Processor and Moltensteel Dragon to smack people for huge amounts of damage. Gratuitous Violence to double damage, to make sure I can kill people, rings of brighthearth for the same reason, and finally, Prophecy all-star, Keldon Battlewagon. Can tap my creatures to buff its power, then tap itself to double its own power, then fling. Then there's also filler like Hamletback Goliath and War Elemental to fling.

Other subthemes
- reanimation. Feldon, Emeria, Emeria Shepherd, Adakar Valkyrie, sun titan - lets me throw things multiple times
-stealing: Molten Primordial, Zealous Conscripts, Grab the Reins, Insurrection. - lets me throw the biggest creature on the board
- lifegain - Well of Lost Dreams, Cradle of Vitality. Commander's lifelink is basically my main source of lifegain. and I guess batterskull
- ramp - this poo poo is expensive. Random mana rocks, Land Tax, burnished hart, weathered wayfarer.
- card draw - lmao almost nothing. Skullclamp, Solemn Simulacrum, loreseeker's stone
- board wipes - wrath of god, akroma's wrath, austere command, hallowed burial
- utility - Sunforger (can hit stuff like master warcraft, grab the reins, swords, path, orim's thunder, gods willing, return to dust) Blood Moon (because gently caress em) Mother of Runes

I know the deck needs more card draw, but I'm in boros so what's even good and not super expensive? And I think probably needs Sneak Attack There's so many things to get out, enchantments, equipment etc before my commander really comes online. My commander probably isn't going to survive a turn without being hexproof and indestructible either. I also think I could probably find better stuff for Sunforger to tutor.

I've also been thinking about if I have enough of an equipment theme to just put in Puresteel Paladin, Forge Anew, Sigarda's Aid, Colossus Hammer, and stoneforge mystic, Ardenn etc. Then I could also include the Kaldra equipments and make Kaldra tokens to throw. But that's just a different version of the deck, and less about doming someone for a comically large amount of damage with my commander.

Anybody have any thoughts? I'm sure there's something I'm missing to cheat stuff into play, or make a REALLY big creature. Mostly I feel like I don't have enough for the deck's main theme of flinging. I could probably cut some removal and a board wipe for some more card draw. I also think the ramp could use an update, White has better ways to get lands into play now. I think I also have a sword of the animist I should throw in.

You can peep at The Professor's Brion Stoutarm list and see if anything stands out to you:

https://www.moxfield.com/decks/pgNv78QOP0e_bgc6dydoGw

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Batterypowered7 posted:

You can peep at The Professor's Brion Stoutarm list and see if anything stands out to you:

https://www.moxfield.com/decks/pgNv78QOP0e_bgc6dydoGw

Thanks for the heads up! oh wow, there's a bunch of stuff I overlooked, or is new. I didn't realize they made another version of Serra Avatar that you can actually reanimate! Malignus is spicy too. Deflecting Palm and Boros Charm are also pretty great cards that I can even tutor for with Sunforger. Mimic Vat also does some fun things as well. On the ramp side, that's pretty close to what I'm currently running.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Katamari Democracy posted:

Hello Commander thread. I do not post here often.
These two cards are combined to Big Furry Monster.

That's awesome! I love meld cards and that's the OG. Wearing 12/12's as earrings, such great card(s). Happy you got to pull it off again!

starbarry clock posted:

Batterypowered7 posted:

Yeah I've come around that this is the answer. I've made a couple genuine mistakes and caused some individual folks to have a bad time that I regret, but in general there's a noise floor for commander games where you've just got to ignore the complaints.

One of my first commander nights someone made a big stink about targeted single-land destruction, like pull-me-aside hey this is bad manners... then later took an 18 minute turn to thoracle out against precons. Frankly, I don't think he had everyone's fun in mind at any point and was just complaining to complain. Scolding to scold without any coherent posture behind it.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

I play with a guy who has a strict "no mill" rule at his place, so I make sure to play my horror pirate mill deck against him at my place

Yes, he complains a lot and I totally ignore it :getin:

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Yeah I had someone complain about me playing Scion of the Ur-Dragon because tutoring and reanimation (I had already told everyone I'm not running Skithiryx or any infinites), and every time I played a dragon they would whine about how im the threat and my commander is OP... and then proceed to win with a Deadeye Navigator combo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Johnny Truant posted:

I play with a guy who has a strict "no mill" rule at his place, so I make sure to play my horror pirate mill deck against him at my place

Yes, he complains a lot and I totally ignore it :getin:

Build Xanathar for games at his house instead :getin: