Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Petey posted:

i don't want to slow anybody's roll but: between the lovely rollout and the known timing (i.e. that protection against infection lasts 2-3 months max), doesn't waiting until like late october for the boost make sense anyway (in america)? to let the system work itself out + maximize protection from thanksgiving through the new year?

This is what I’m doing. I know I’m risking getting got in the next month and I might end up regretting that but if I got the juice this week then I’d have the same concern around the holidays when I will with 100% certainty be having to do a lot more spreadsheet avoidance stuff than I’m having to do right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

what's the usual timeline for max titers after getting the jab?

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost

Crusty Nutsack posted:

what's the usual timeline for max titers after getting the jab?

2 weeks ish

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

how quickly does it drop off? I'm just curious because so many people are waiting to time it better with the holidays. I had been thinking it was a few months of good coverage before dropping off.

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Crusty Nutsack posted:

how quickly does it drop off? I'm just curious because so many people are waiting to time it better with the holidays. I had been thinking it was a few months of good coverage before dropping off.

Folks trying to time it for the holidays got it all wrong tho. The XBB formula isn't going to be protective for EG.5 or BA.2.86, but you want to get it now since XBB and their close relatives are the current majority out there rn

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost

Crusty Nutsack posted:

I can’t really speak on this since we don’t have a ton of data on antibody durability with this round, previously peak protection lasted ~2.5-4 months and then started waning. That being said with the sheer prevalence of cases at the moment I would recommend not waiting.

I am not a doctor and you should ask yours if you have any questions, I’m probably gonna back off from specific info since my shitpost led to some freak contacting my old employer to try and get me canned lol

NeonPunk posted:

Folks trying to time it for the holidays got it all wrong tho. The XBB formula isn't going to be protective for EG.5 or BA.2.86, but you want to get it now since XBB and their close relatives are the current majority out there rn

iirc they share a lot of the same epitopes so efficacy should be pretty close

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

NeonPunk posted:

a good point. my appointment at CVS is tonight so we'll see if they cancel it before then. but we were planning on doing these asap, then novavax maybe in spring.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Bastard Tetris posted:

I can’t really speak on this since we don’t have a ton of data on antibody durability with this round, previously peak protection lasted ~2.5-4 months and then started waning. That being said with the sheer prevalence of cases at the moment I would recommend not waiting.

ok, so I wasn't coming up with that notion out of nowhere at least lol thank you

quote:

I am not a doctor and you should ask yours if you have any questions, I’m probably gonna back off from specific info since my shitpost led to some freak contacting my old employer to try and get me canned lol

that's hosed up. did you talk to an admin about it at the time?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

NeonPunk posted:

some of y'all still don't get it

can you apply multiple XBB vaccines to a single ape.

Peyote Panda
Mar 10, 2019

I normally WFH but as a federal employee I'm required to report to the office once a week, as is everyone else at my workplace. Those days are usually staggered so we only have about 1/4 of the staff in on any given day and I can find a space well away from everyone and with that, being vaxed and masked, and snorting enovid just to be sure I've managed to avoid getting got so far.

With the new variant we've had a massive outbreak at work, over a fifth of our employees are out sick with confirmed 'Vid; there are more out sick that may or may not have it.

So in their infinite loving wisdom our managers decide to go ahead with our annual in-office refresher training day where everyone comes in on the same day to do a bunch of poo poo we could (and previously have) done remotely. I tried my usual hiding place only to find two of the people I know were out sick with Covid a few days ago on either side of me hacking up their lungs.

Fortunately, my normal workspace (which I usually avoid on my in-office days as my whole team is in that area) is blessedly isolated because everyone else is off doing team-building/superspreader activities in the common rooms. I mean, I would have dodged those anyway because I hate that contrived "morale-building" bullshit, but so much the better that it now also minimizes my chances of joining many of my coworkers as Beasts of Nurgle.

It's all just so loving stupid.

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost

Crusty Nutsack posted:

that's hosed up. did you talk to an admin about it at the time?

It was a mod who consulted an admin and they were insanely helpful, thanks!

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Peyote Panda posted:

I normally WFH but as a federal employee I'm required to report to the office once a week, as is everyone else at my workplace. Those days are usually staggered so we only have about 1/4 of the staff in on any given day and I can find a space well away from everyone and with that, being vaxed and masked, and snorting enovid just to be sure I've managed to avoid getting got so far.

With the new variant we've had a massive outbreak at work, over a fifth of our employees are out sick with confirmed 'Vid; there are more out sick that may or may not have it.

So in their infinite loving wisdom our managers decide to go ahead with our annual in-office refresher training day where everyone comes in on the same day to do a bunch of poo poo we could (and previously have) done remotely. I tried my usual hiding place only to find two of the people I know were out sick with Covid a few days ago on either side of me hacking up their lungs.

Fortunately, my normal workspace (which I usually avoid on my in-office days as my whole team is in that area) is blessedly isolated because everyone else is off doing team-building/superspreader activities in the common rooms. I mean, I would have dodged those anyway because I hate that contrived "morale-building" bullshit, but so much the better that it now also minimizes my chances of joining many of my coworkers as Beasts of Nurgle.

I woulda shown up in one of those suits the government guys wear at the end of E.T.

Lucky Greedo
Feb 14, 2012

At last, he held the throat of his beater.
c19 is ripping thru retail staff and vendors rn, particularly since none of us can afford to call out of work and keep giving it to each other. truck unloads in the morning are a symphony of horrible wet coughs.

i recall that the store is supposed to be a lower-risk place on account of better air circulation than, say, restaurants, but uhh. it's a great time to try grocery pickup options if you are still shopping in person imo :thumbsup: otherwise only your respirator trust

Fireside Nut
Feb 10, 2010

turp

After CVS cancelled on me twice I booked at Walgreens this evening. I called to make sure they actually have it and are accepting my insurance. The tech said they gave around 50 vax admins yesterday and for about half they had to development some sort of workaround using a drivers license to get coverage for the shot. :confused: I asked if I should call me insurance company ahead of time and he was like, "no, we got pretty good at this workaround so just come in and we'll figure it out."

lmao between this poo poo and seemingly non-existent pediatric vaccines it's pretty incredible

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

Fireside Nut posted:

lmao between this poo poo and seemingly non-existent pediatric vaccines it's pretty incredible

a few of my friends are getting appt cancelled as well and the 2 of us that need our kids to have the shot are just out of luck.

Panic Restaurant
Jul 19, 2006

:retrogames: :3: :retrogames:

Pork Pro
Trying to plan out my household’s booster strategy. My partner works from home and I will absolutely 100% not leave the house without an Aura securely strapped to my face, so I’m thinking we should at least wait until the end of this week to see if the Novavax gets approved, and maybe some of the insurance sorts their poo poo out.

However I’m wondering if I should encourage my parents & brother to just get whatever asap. Dad is retired and my brother works from home, but they’re definitely starting to slack on masking in some social situations. Mom works in an office and is the only one (knock on loving wood) who’s actually gotten COVID so far, but that was maybe February of this year.

Can’t thank the folks in this thread enough for being one of the only consistent sources of life saving information during a deadly pandemic that the government has completely abdicated its responsibility for

LOL!!! lmao!!!

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Peyote Panda posted:

Yep, COVID is not magic and the biggest hurdle to avoiding catching it right now is just completely arbitrary stuff like this from people who have just decided to pretend that either it doesn't exist or that the laws of physics and disease prevention do not apply to COVID so there is just nothing they can do they will get sick when it is god's will.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

Why Am I So Tired posted:

Unrelated but how are you doing? Does it still seem like you're rebounding?

Since I retested positive on Friday I had a runny nose and a little bit of a cough until maybe Sunday and things have mostly dried up. I tested yesterday and was negative. Still waking up a little congested but that was normal before covid and I still kind of have a cough but I assume that is my lungs recovering. I don't feel 100% normal yet and my left pecs to shoulder and shoulder blade feels kind of tight but prior to covid that area was tight from poor ergonomics or something and I assume the stress on my body is exacerbating an existing area I needed to keep working on.

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

They're having trouble selling tests/revenue problems, so I wouldn't be surprised if this is an ongoing sale until they're out of business.

I bought the 10 pack 2 weeks ago, and all of my tests expire at the end of November.

Oh.

I thought there was enough demand for at least one company doing home pcr/naat tests. Especially since they seem to be doing things right from a business standpoint. They got their monthly subscription service cooking, they got that slick presentation that makes the upper middle class feel special, they've diversified into dick pills, plan b, and even apo-b tests which are all the rage nowadays. Never enough I suppose.

So what's this thread doing for testing nowadays? Several antigens? I'm not sure what to do, so I made a meme:

Peyote Panda
Mar 10, 2019

Thoguh posted:

Yep, COVID is not magic and the biggest hurdle to avoiding catching it right now is just completely arbitrary stuff like this from people who have just decided to pretend that either it doesn't exist or that the laws of physics and disease prevention do not apply to COVID so there is just nothing they can do they will get sick when it is god's will.
Our union reps brought this up with local management last week (just a simple, "Hey, maybe we shouldn't pack everyone in together when it's not necessary since Covid's ripping through the workplace already despite limited exposure") and they just responded with "Well, community hospitalization levels aren't high yet." This with almost a quarter of our local workforce sick already.

And just to illustrate how pointless this, we're doing most of the training portion of the day remotely through Teams or downloaded PowerPoint presentations just like we would when WFH, just sitting in our cubicles instead.
:ughh:

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ

Teabag Dome Scandal posted:

Since I retested positive on Friday I had a runny nose and a little bit of a cough until maybe Sunday and things have mostly dried up. I tested yesterday and was negative. Still waking up a little congested but that was normal before covid and I still kind of have a cough but I assume that is my lungs recovering. I don't feel 100% normal yet and my left pecs to shoulder and shoulder blade feels kind of tight but prior to covid that area was tight from poor ergonomics or something and I assume the stress on my body is exacerbating an existing area I needed to keep working on.

I’m glad you’re feeling better. I still have some lingering issues, mainly sinus related too. I’m drinking a lot of water but I still have a constant drainage into my throat which results in me constantly clearing it.

The fatigue is finally fading/gone and I can do more physical activities without feeling exhausted. Still passing out at night kind of early but I have 2 kids so that’s normal. I also think the fatigue was crohn’s related, been a week back on all my meds and feeling a lot better with fewer symptoms and more energy.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

Peyote Panda posted:

And just to illustrate how pointless this, we're doing most of the training portion of the day remotely through Teams or downloaded PowerPoint presentations just like we would when WFH, just sitting in our cubicles instead.
:ughh:
:rubby:

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

It's a team immunity-building trust exercise.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
Have you considered *not* exposing your ACE2 receptors to everyone like some kind of floozy?

Soap Scum
Aug 8, 2003

Panic Restaurant posted:

LOL!!! lmao!!!

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
My insurance will only cover the booster if I get it through my primary care provider's office. The next available appointment is in November :thunkgun:

We're deep into dark comedy territory now

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I got pfizer this time. I got moderna last time and was really, really stiff the next day everywhere, not just in my arm. It was really bad. This time I've just got stiffness in my arm and feel mostly ok otherwise.

Peyote Panda
Mar 10, 2019

eXXon posted:

It's a team immunity-building trust exercise.
Yeah, I suspect lots of motherfuckers here 'bout to get "Nature's Vaccine".

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Have you considered *not* exposing your ACE2 receptors to everyone like some kind of floozy?
I did switch from my usual N95 to my full-on chastity corset secure-click for this, my good sir!

Which reminds me, when Covid started ripping through the worksite, it began with a class of new hire trainees and their instructors. I was one of said instructors but unlike the others who came in to teach in-person I chose to stay remote just because of the increasing hospitalization rates. Found out a few days after what would have been an in-person class for me that half the new hires got got and so did most of the instructors who came in. And that's how the party started here.

Mostly I feel bad for the other people who ultimately just made the mistake of trusting our institutions, but I still have a little bit of that Trailer Park Boys "I ain't the type to say 'I a toadaso' but I a fuckin' toadaso," echoing in my head.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
lol I just looked and the first appointment I could schedule with the one CVS in the area that is carrying the vaccine isn't for at least two weeks anyway. The earliest I could get jabbed is Sept 30th.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

Glumwheels posted:

I’m glad you’re feeling better. I still have some lingering issues, mainly sinus related too. I’m drinking a lot of water but I still have a constant drainage into my throat which results in me constantly clearing it.

The fatigue is finally fading/gone and I can do more physical activities without feeling exhausted. Still passing out at night kind of early but I have 2 kids so that’s normal. I also think the fatigue was crohn’s related, been a week back on all my meds and feeling a lot better with fewer symptoms and more energy.

I'm definitely going to try and drink more water than I usually do. I was feeling a little twitchy this morning from caffeine on an empty stomach so I think I'm going to try to eat a little something in the morning for a bit. I also usually tend to go to bed around midnight and get 6-7 hours but will try to go to bed early and aim for 8-9 for the next couple of weeks. Probably avoiding weed for a bit too but I think I was smoking too much anyway.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
They might have identified the cause of a lot of ME/CFS:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2023/09/17/fatigue-cfs-longcovid-mitochondria/

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021

fosborb posted:

lol Chicago

lmao

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Crusty Nutsack posted:

there's no such thing as "max titers." you can't game the system; the only way to win is to wear your mask. last year, both my parents got got three weeks after their vaccination. good luck, commander.

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Pay walled for me, could you post the article?

Just from the headline, I'm guessing it's something to do with mitochondria?

Soap Scum
Aug 8, 2003

NeonPunk posted:

Pay walled for me, could you post the article?

Just from the headline, I'm guessing it's something to do with mitochondria?

https://archive.ph/gKcA4

e: the TLDR is that overproduction of a protein called WASF3 'jams' the mitochondrial energy-producing supercomplex leading to quick fatigue and slow recovery. sounds reasonable to me but also note that overproduction of this protein wasn't found in all the ME/CFS patients studied (9 out of 14 did have it), implying that this probably explains a chunk of, but not all of, the underlying causes of the condition. it's not clear if covid-related ME/CFS drives overproduction of this protein from what i can see in this article, but i'm lazy and didn't read the paper yet, sorry D: also unclear whether it can be easily treated, or treated at all =/

Soap Scum has issued a correction as of 19:52 on Sep 19, 2023

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

fosborb posted:

lol Chicago

lol

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Nothus posted:

lol my supposedly good blue cross insurance won't cover the new covid booster and Walgreens wants $156

I loving hate this shithole country

Nothus posted:

Confirmed by calling them (IBX). It's not covered.

Nothus posted:

My insurance will only cover the booster if I get it through my primary care provider's office. The next available appointment is in November :thunkgun:

We're deep into dark comedy territory now

amazing :rubby:

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

Soap Scum posted:

https://archive.ph/gKcA4

e: the TLDR is that overproduction of a protein called WASF3 'jams' the mitochondrial energy-producing supercomplex leading to quick fatigue and slow recovery. sounds reasonable to me but also note that overproduction of this protein wasn't found in all the ME/CFS patients studied (9 out of 14 did have it), implying that this probably explains a chunk of, but not all of, the underlying causes of the condition. it's not clear if covid-related ME/CFS drives overproduction of this protein from what i can see in this article, but i'm lazy and didn't read the paper yet, sorry D: also unclear whether it can be easily treated, or treated at all =/
Not an expert on the biology here, but I like the sound of "a protein is being overproduced" as the cause of many cases of ME/CFS more than "the virus hosed up your lungs/blood oxygen capacity/nervous system." Not to say it'll be easy to treat at all, but something that may be amenable to an inhibitor drug seems better than something due to permanent damage.

Indoor Dying
Dec 13, 2022
Don't know anything about these tests but it's $3.49 for a single test right now (+ shipping), says expiration date is March 2024.
https://wellbefore.com/products/cordx-covid-19-ag-test

Also I finally received my test2treat free tests, which are also good until March 2024.

We have the couple of tools for a little while somewhat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

celadon
Jan 2, 2023

Zugzwang posted:

Not an expert on the biology here, but I like the sound of "a protein is being overproduced" as the cause of many cases of ME/CFS more than "the virus hosed up your lungs/blood oxygen capacity/nervous system." Not to say it'll be easy to treat at all, but something that may be amenable to an inhibitor drug seems better than something due to permanent damage.

a single protein being overproduced can be targeted in a number of ways of varying expense and pharmacological complexity, so yeah that would be vastly preferable to 'virus hosed things up unknowably'