Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
President. Before that operations and services.

(We're a SaaS company but not a cool one)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
I've seen it done before, with varying levels of success. Usually it's not loudly broadcast but you can see the moves. One place I was at had a very sales-driven CEO and a Product guy was basically made heir for a couple years. That transition had some fireworks because I think the board decided to speed up the transition.

Right now there's a guy who seems to me like he's getting CEO training, whether its for this company or somewhere else I guess we'll see.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
I used to work at RBS where the top level succession plan was "Fred Goodwin will be god king of the bank and we assume our investments in anti agatic medicine will mean we can ensconce him on the golden throne". And then 2008 happened and the succession plan became whatever Her Majesty's Government told us it was.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

I'm watching it happen right now as the CEO (who is one of those hire him to sell your company types) is ready to cash his novelty sized check and move on. Another exec is obviously being positioned to move into that role and they have already attempted to put someone under him that will step up to his current role (and failed miserably....the guy is an idiot and who could have possibly known this ahead of time? I mean, it took me all of 10 minutes to find out he was hired as a chief product officer for one of our competitors, was demoted due to incompetency, quit in shame and then we hired him).

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Fil5000 posted:

I used to work at RBS where the top level succession plan was "Fred Goodwin will be god king of the bank and we assume our investments in anti agatic medicine will mean we can ensconce him on the golden throne". And then 2008 happened and the succession plan became whatever Her Majesty's Government told us it was.

Lol nice.

I know a bunch of people that worked for Lehman brothers and it was pretty much the same I think.

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE
My company recently did a rebranding and today they opened the company store with the new logo on stuff. This is the email I got about it. (actual company name removed)

quote:

Working at a company that prioritizes team spirit and building camaraderie is always a good thing, but imagine how much better it could be if you had the added bonus of some seriously cool swag to sport around? And we're not just talking about regular, run-of-the-mill company gear – we're talking about the kind of thing that makes you stand out, start conversations, and represent your team with pride. That's exactly what Company Name has in store for you. Welcome to our new online employee swag store, where you can get your hands on some seriously awesome Company Name gear.

The seriously awesome not regular run of the mill company gear includes: shirts, coffee mugs, hats, pens

They gave everyone a $50 gift card so I got the most expensive but not going over $50 polo shirt.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

dxt posted:

The seriously awesome not regular run of the mill company gear includes: shirts, coffee mugs, hats, pens

lmao

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
I should go find the old photo where my company gave us a yearbook that told us to self-immolate.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
While hunting, I found this one...

Situation: Giraffe invites the elephant into the lab after hiring him, but the elephant cannot fit through the door. Giraffe says it's because the elephant is too fat, and he should go to aerobics and ballet class to lose weight. That way he can fit in the door and get to work.

"Were the elephant's expectations realistic?"
"Should the Elephant go to aerobics class? Ballet class?"

COMPLEX ISSUES WITH NO EASY ANSWERS.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Hold on tho, how the gently caress did the giraffe get through the door? They’re 14-18 ft tall, a standard door is under 7.

Something doesn’t add up here.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice
Charging your employees to wear gear that advertises the company is the most corporate thing.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Awkward Davies posted:

Hold on tho, how the gently caress did the giraffe get through the door? They’re 14-18 ft tall, a standard door is under 7.

Something doesn’t add up here.

Obviously the doors are tall enough for a giraffe doing ballet to sashay through, on tiptoe.

Just narrow.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Was the correct answer "nice try audit, but animals aren't allowed in the lab!"

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Sundae posted:

While hunting, I found this one...

Situation: Giraffe invites the elephant into the lab after hiring him, but the elephant cannot fit through the door. Giraffe says it's because the elephant is too fat, and he should go to aerobics and ballet class to lose weight. That way he can fit in the door and get to work.

"Were the elephant's expectations realistic?"
"Should the Elephant go to aerobics class? Ballet class?"

COMPLEX ISSUES WITH NO EASY ANSWERS.

I felt like I was having a stroke reading that

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Volmarias posted:

I'm sure HR had a stroke writing that

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

This post needs at least three times more shit!

Volmarias posted:

You shouldnt judge the clot just because it can't fit through your arteries.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

withoutclass posted:

Charging your employees to wear gear that advertises the company is the most corporate thing.

My previous company decided that lovely cheap branded poncho like things were the best way to have our logo on the backs of our chairs for when customers toured. You were graciously allowed to wear them outside the office but were required to pay if you lost it.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Found it!

Found a whole bunch, actually. I know I post a lot of near-unbelievable corporate bullshit, and I photographed a lot of it back in Ye Olden Days as proof. :v:

The J&J yearbook that tells us to self-immolate...

Merry Christmas... ONE DREAM ONE TEAM. DO NOT THINK MERRY. Also, random furniture sitting outside the entrance for reasons.

I SAID... ONE TEAM. DO NOT MERRY. This was our Christmas present.

Moose Manners

Corporate mission statements on walls. I have never once exhibited this trait anywhere, even outside of work.

Not shown: Four more of these before I got to it, each telling you things you shouldn't do in the workplace.

And the greatest photo I've ever taken... the "Zero Defects" parking spot placed up next to the Handicapped parking spot.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Sundae posted:

Found it!

Found a whole bunch, actually. I know I post a lot of near-unbelievable corporate bullshit, and I photographed a lot of it back in Ye Olden Days as proof. :v:

Funny stuff. Back when corporate bullshit was just raw. Almost naively hopeful in those days. "Open, honest and courageous", lol. I hope you still have that christmas ornament!

It's so much more polished these days. You can really see where your raise and bonus money goes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2MguuVtJ94

Baddog fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Sep 19, 2023

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Sundae posted:

And the greatest photo I've ever taken... the "Zero Defects" parking spot placed up next to the Handicapped parking spot.

Incredible.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Surreal animal diversity training combined with all these pieces of flayer has made this page incredible.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Sundae posted:

Found it!

The J&J yearbook that tells us to self-immolate...

Merry Christmas... ONE DREAM ONE TEAM. DO NOT THINK MERRY. Also, random furniture sitting outside the entrance for reasons.

Moose Manners

Corporate mission statements on walls. I have never once exhibited this trait anywhere, even outside of work.

Not shown: Four more of these before I got to it, each telling you things you shouldn't do in the workplace.

That whole office shooter phenom in the US is starting to make a lot more sense.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

I am the 1960s graphics.

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE

withoutclass posted:

I never trust anyone who gets more what we get for free. The stuff isn't even cheap.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Sundae posted:

(dankpods voice) the biggest companies make the worst crap

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Airing first world grievances in the corporate thread:

1 - people ‘reacting’ to emails. Outlook sends a notification email for reactions and I have to open the email to see more details about who responded and what email they responded to. Not an issue on my pc, but annoying on my phone.

2 - Our company intranet remembers credentials for approximately 30 seconds. This is tedious when WFH because VPN connections require a 2 factor authentication code to access the site.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

dxt posted:

My company recently did a rebranding and today they opened the company store with the new logo on stuff. This is the email I got about it. (actual company name removed)

They gave everyone a $50 gift card so I got the most expensive but not going over $50 polo shirt.

At our department year end all-hands they announced everyone is getting a branded sweatshirt and backpack. I think it is a plot to get people back in the office since you have to pick it up. “See not so bad, you came in for your swag you can come in to collaborate”

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Democratic Pirate posted:

Airing first world grievances in the corporate thread:

1 - people ‘reacting’ to emails. Outlook sends a notification email for reactions and I have to open the email to see more details about who responded and what email they responded to. Not an issue on my pc, but annoying on my phone.

2 - Our company intranet remembers credentials for approximately 30 seconds. This is tedious when WFH because VPN connections require a 2 factor authentication code to access the site.

For #1 same with Teams having a red dot notification when someone thumbs up'd a message.. I should look if I can turn that off. I don't mind the reactions just that I get a notification for it is lame.

Also for #2 there is a checkbox on ours "remember me for 5 days" and it doesn't do poo poo!

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

priznat posted:

For #1 same with Teams having a red dot notification when someone thumbs up'd a message.. I should look if I can turn that off. I don't mind the reactions just that I get a notification for it is lame.

Pretty sure you can

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Democratic Pirate posted:

This may vary by Outlook version and your corporate setup, but you might have a bell icon where those reactions (as well as @tags) would be shown:

That will open your notifications pain pane. There you can change the settings and turn things on/off:

and then

But I have no idea whether those settings would also carry over to mobile.

priznat posted:

If you go to the Activity section (where thumbs-up etc. notifications are shown) and click on the three dots for a given channel/chat, you should be able to turn off reactions:

That's one chat/channel at a time. If you want to kill all such things, then do Settings >> Notifications >> Teams and channels and customize it to show you only the things you want. It sounds like you want to set "Likes and reactions" to Off:

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Beauty, thanks for that, been meaning to dig into the settings! Just turned it off now.

Also why is it on MS authenticate on my phone it has to do the face scan twice, yet another minor annoyance

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

evil_bunnY posted:

That whole office shooter phenom in the US is starting to make a lot more sense.

Photos and names redacted but... yeah. Everything about this.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Sundae posted:

Photos and names redacted but... yeah. Everything about this.

You just doxxed Hedwig, real nice

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Devor posted:

You just doxxed Hedwig, real nice

The actor passed away last year. :rip:

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Slack has its issues but man I don’t miss Teams

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Awkward Davies posted:

Slack has its issues but man I don’t miss Teams

I do. My new place uses all these different tools to do what Teams does in one tool.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Jordan7hm posted:

I do. My new place uses all these different tools to do what Teams does in one tool.

Meaning the Office365 integration? That is the strongest selling point IMO.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Awkward Davies posted:

Meaning the Office365 integration? That is the strongest selling point IMO.

nah you can do chat (not well) and add various tools/extensions for collaborators to use and do videoconferencing and poo poo in various places

it's a swiss army knife which is kind of a lousy knife compared to a single use tool but can be a lot more convenient than having 10 tools

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Jordan7hm posted:

Our team uses 3 tools to do what teams does and it's a net improvement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I’d rather have one mediocre tool than 10 slightly better mediocre tools.