Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
I had one in a cow portal, but it was from a gobbo not a cube.

I remember because I had one bounty to go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

"Why am I on the leaderboard with that low of a clear?"

Most of the classes have less than 6xx people that have completed a GR at this point. Only DH and Wiz had 1k+.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
Blech. I don't own the necro dlc and was hoping that they would do something with DH/WD since I never really touched those classes. Oh well, meteors ho...

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:
WD gets the new Angry Chicken stuff, but it isn't the Haedrig's gift set.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
None of the HG sets are particularly useful in meta builds this time round - the Wiz gets Firebirds which is probably the least-worst, as it allows you to build around disintegrate. Disintegrate being to Wizard levelling what Chain Lightning is to D4 Sorcs, this is kinda handy.

I looked at the tier lists and given that I rolled a Wizard, Necro and DH into GR 120+ last season, decided to say fuckit and roll a WD for the Angry Chicken build. Given I'm only doing this one on Switch, and with the Paragon cap and altar removed, I'm unlikely to see a GR130 for the entire season - so a speed-running build suits me fine. Only up to 40 from a couple hours playing, but I managed to luck out and pick up the Firebats staff fairly early on so it's been melting poo poo on Hard pretty satisfyingly with a random DIY firebats/zombie dogs/gargantuan/haunt/hex build.

GF is rocking the Disintegrate build I levelled a wiz with a few seasons back and she's pretty clearly doing more than me with shittier gear, and the AetherWalker/In-Geom infinite teleport build is probably still one of the best effort/reward speedrun builds in the game, so you can't go wrong there. GoD DH is supposedly better for QoL with the mechanics changes, but if you did that in S27/28 it's still going to bore you to tears.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

"Did you enjoy sifting through tons of mostly useless loot in D4? Well, here's season 29, where every single screen of the season gimmick will get you a full bag of loot. Sometimes a full stash tab full of it even. ENJOY!"
At least sorting through it is a lot easier here.

Pretty cool that no one seems to be doing Bounties anymore.
Makes getting a RoRG and a stash of Caches for the Avarice Conquest not tedious at all.

Do the elites in the season rifts a different damage scale?
On T16 and 160m toughness I die a lot from random environmental damage.
Especially the lightning strikes from above are hitting hard and fast.
Hard to get out of without getting hit twice.

Can't imagine hardcore players are having fun with the seasonal theme.
A floor full of elites or triple Rift Guardians is murderous.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
im still on expert but it feels like theres an insane amount of floor damage in the seasonal things

everwake
Aug 9, 2021

Discord: everwake#0311
Steam: Everwake
Xbox: everwake#3338
PlayStation: everwakePS
Nintendo: SW-0815-2733-9404
Mastodon: https://gamepad.club/@everwake

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

im still on expert but it feels like theres an insane amount of floor damage in the seasonal things

Is there any actual mechanic tied to that? I just figured it was a lot of monster affixes being spammed in a very small area that was causing so much passive damage.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

The least they should have done is keep the auto-dust option for blues and yellows from S28. I realize they would have come up with some sort of switch for it and no one probably was willing to put that in, but yeah, it's too much (crappy) loot.

Just like in D4, they managed to make looting in a loot-based ARPG tedious and unfun.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

mcbexx posted:

The least they should have done is keep the auto-dust option for blues and yellows from S28. I realize they would have come up with some sort of switch for it and no one probably was willing to put that in, but yeah, it's too much (crappy) loot.

Just like in D4, they managed to make looting in a loot-based ARPG tedious and unfun.

It's not like D4 at all in that you really don't have to pick up everything on the ground. Anything you get from doing bounties and hitting the smash all button at the end of each rift will be all you need for crafting components.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
TBH I don't think they tested the season mechanic on console. Because of the way the auto pickup/interact button works, it's really hard to not constantly zoom back and forth between portals unintentionally when they spawn on top of you. And yeah not picking up loot is a much trickier prospect unless you're happy potentially leaving gems mats and leggos on the ground.

At this point I think I'm going to have to bind A button on switch to something I don't use as often and try to relearn the muscle memory because it's frustrating as hell constantly being yanked between levels like that.

I do strongly recommend the trick of cubing a crafted lvl70 weapon and rolling level reduction on it though. I got to -14 before I ran out of DBs, but once I hit 56 I got a 5x damage buff and Expert/master are a total doddle even in the rift guardian heavy levels.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD

everwake posted:

Is there any actual mechanic tied to that? I just figured it was a lot of monster affixes being spammed in a very small area that was causing so much passive damage.

The deeper you go the stronger the enemies become and the better loot they drop. I'm not sure what the actual scaling is or if anybody has tried to correlate it to GRs based on numbers, but it is very noticeable. And then you have Necrosis making everything hit harder.

As for the excess loot I simply stopped picking it up. I really miss the pet, and sometimes the thing I want to grab is buried so I have to dig around, but it hasn't been D4 levels of fatigue because it's all trash and gets instantly salvaged.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Yep that's the ticket. No more picking up dbs, yellows, or whites for me. Unless in the portals, the dbs there are in mucho stacks.

atomicvocabulary
Oct 21, 2002

Say hello to the sunrise for me...
Solo Self Found is how I've always played this game, not because I'm a hermit but mostly because i don't want to disappoint other nerds with my poor GR efforts. As such I'm really glad I have this game mode.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Completed season, finished up 3 on the ladder for the set I was playing (Manajuma). Changes were good, drat do I miss auto salvaging friend though. I was a bit worried about having to farm mats from bounties with the ssf mode, but I ended up with hundreds more of those than I used to.

SPIRIT HALLOWEEN SALE
Nov 5, 2017
PSA that the Solo Self Found Haedrig's set is separate from the regular seasonal set. Although for each mode, you still may only receive one set between both softcore and hardcore.

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr
When s29 ends, what's the plan with SSF characters?

- Will they simply become non-seasonal characters?
- Will there become a division between never-SSF and ex-SSF characters?

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Oh, also you share your progress and items with other SSF characters i.e you can get blood shards on a geared character and gamble on someone else. I didn't expect to be able to do that.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

KajiTheMelonMan posted:

When s29 ends, what's the plan with SSF characters?

- Will they simply become non-seasonal characters?
- Will there become a division between never-SSF and ex-SSF characters?

I have a feeling ssf will go core. Might as well, already put the work in.

Slum Loser
May 6, 2011
It's a good farewell season, with the usual shortcomings PLUS I miss the altar of rites. However annoying the repeating enmity portals are, the plentiful crafting mats are a consolation. Might mess around and do more than the usual 2 characters but we'll see how far I take it. I am really hoping they mash every theme into S30, I'd love to see that.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

Slum Loser posted:

It's a good farewell season, with the usual shortcomings PLUS I miss the altar of rites. However annoying the repeating enmity portals are, the plentiful crafting mats are a consolation. Might mess around and do more than the usual 2 characters but we'll see how far I take it. I am really hoping they mash every theme into S30, I'd love to see that.

Apparently for S30 Blizzard is going to be balancing, or I should say re-balancing ALL the classes, and ALL the builds, so we'll see how that goes... the "tier" list as we know it could completely be flipped upside down for S30 and moving forward, seems like a lot of work for an intern + janitor guy to do... I'm also going to expect so many bugs and broken things from this.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

I'm fine with some class rebalancing in S30 as long as Wizards are at the top forever where they belong.

And BRING BACK FB MIRROR IMAGE!! Seriously it's not even that OP nowadays.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
As long as they nerf meteors, so I never have to play that eye cancer build again.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I agree, there should be more meteors.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Im_Special posted:

Apparently for S30 Blizzard is going to be balancing, or I should say re-balancing ALL the classes, and ALL the builds

I kept reading that as "for $30" - as in, "thirty dollars", not "season 30", and I was so confused as to what was going on.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

$30 for balancing is what Blizzard has planned for D4 so it's an easy mistake to make.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

exquisite tea posted:

$30 for balancing is what Blizzard has planned for D4 so it's an easy mistake to make.

This both is and is not a joke.

And that's also what I was non-sarcastically half wondering while I was confused. The D4 monetization is so...everything...that I really thought that they might be charging for class balance in D3 for a minute.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
They're going to rebalance all the builds by giving them a jay wilson pass and calling it a day.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
Source was from Raxx, who has insider knowledge/talks to the dev(s), I have no clue were the timestamp was in the one stream he talked about it... he didn't say much though, probably doesn't know much, but the plan for S30 was that all the builds will more or less get a pass to become "more in line" with one another, so one could expect builds you'd never expect to play to be competitive, and maybe the current top tier ones might see some nerfs.

I just hope it's not boring percentage changes like, 500% -> 1500%. There are still a handful of garbo legendaries that are prime to see revisions for build definition.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Since I couldn't find a clear answer anywhere, I decided to bite the bullet, and find out for myself...

Haedrig's Gift is tracked seperatly for Solo Self Found and Regular Seasonal.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Im_Special posted:

I just hope it's not boring percentage changes like, 500% -> 1500%.

Expecting anything more than this will probably lead to disappointment. I assume they'll just bring bad builds up, not nerf much at this point.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Can someone who's good with Diablo 3 explain why the Monkey Bells builds are all using Mystic Ally Boosting Gear despite not using Mystic Ally?

atomicvocabulary
Oct 21, 2002

Say hello to the sunrise for me...

Kheldarn posted:

Can someone who's good with Diablo 3 explain why the Monkey Bells builds are all using Mystic Ally Boosting Gear despite not using Mystic Ally?

I understand some of these words. Do you have a link to a youtube video as an example?

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
You usually DO use mystic ally - air ally for the spirit regen to spam bells. Early in a season the leaderboards are often full of bad builds because someone got a really lucky GR with suboptimal gear.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

atomicvocabulary posted:

I understand some of these words. Do you have a link to a youtube video as an example?

Swilo posted:

You usually DO use mystic ally - air ally for the spirit regen to spam bells. Early in a season the leaderboards are often full of bad builds because someone got a really lucky GR with suboptimal gear.

I had to double check. It seems that GR Push builds drop Mystic Ally, but still keep the gear that boosts them equipped/in the Cube.

Very odd.

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018

Kheldarn posted:

Since I couldn't find a clear answer anywhere, I decided to bite the bullet, and find out for myself...

Haedrig's Gift is tracked seperatly for Solo Self Found and Regular Seasonal.

Two Class Sets? Well that's nice.

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

Kheldarn posted:

I had to double check. It seems that GR Push builds drop Mystic Ally, but still keep the gear that boosts them equipped/in the Cube.

Very odd.

I don't recall the name of the item off hand, but there is a monk weapon that makes your spenders get doubled during Epiphany. The clone spenders are considered mechanically as coming from mystic allies, and thus get those bonuses. I'm not playing this season so I can't look at the boards and confirm it, but that is my guess as to what you're seeing.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Mind over Matter posted:

I don't recall the name of the item off hand, but there is a monk weapon that makes your spenders get doubled during Epiphany. The clone spenders are considered mechanically as coming from mystic allies, and thus get those bonuses. I'm not playing this season so I can't look at the boards and confirm it, but that is my guess as to what you're seeing.

That's Rabid Strike. But what I was seeing was The Crudest Boots with Bindings Of The Lesser Gods in the Cube, and no Mystic Ally.

Boatswain
May 29, 2012
I accidentally did not click the solo-self found so now I'm waiting until the next challenge rift to play the game :thumbsup:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

Kheldarn posted:

That's Rabid Strike. But what I was seeing was The Crudest Boots with Bindings Of The Lesser Gods in the Cube, and no Mystic Ally.

Seems like the rabid strike clones get buffed by the boots and bindings according to Mind over Matter's description.