Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
You can’t talk bad Holocaust movies without The Devil’s Arithmetic. Kirsten Dunst as a 90s Cali girl transported back is uh really something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Jakob the Liar, Boy In The Striped Pajamas, The Reader. Uwe Boll's Auschwitz is fascinating in its tastelessness but it's not sentimental or anything.

“Uwe Boll’s Auschwitz” has to be a phrase that appears in the Necronomicon.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

i just already saw Life is Beautiful when it first came out and i didn't particularly like it then either

Release the Jerry Lewis one and sell the most hosed up trilogy of all time

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

X-Ray Pecs posted:

So we got Jojo Rabbit, Life is Beautiful, and the first public screening of The Day The Clown Cried. What else we got?

E: got loving beaten

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Too many movie nerds in this thread

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I’ve only seen clips of Life is Beautiful, but I get what they were going for. His much hated Pinocchio movie getting theatrically released in the US on Christmas Day 2002 is one of the strangest things I’ve seen related to movies. McDonalds did Happy Meal toys for it. Despite having an Academy Award I don’t think the majority of the movie going public really knew who Begnini was, and weren’t particularly interested in seeing a guy approaching 50 play a child puppet.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Jakob the Liar felt like it was cranked out to be the American Life is Beautiful, like they couldn't get the rights to a straight English language remake starring Robin Williams but they could get the rights to that book

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Jakob the Liar felt like it was cranked out to be the American Life is Beautiful, like they couldn't get the rights to a straight English language remake starring Robin Williams but they could get the rights to that book

I recalled thinking this as well but in one of those Deep Impact/Armageddon coincidences that occasionally pop up, the movie rights and shooting were bought and started before Life is Beautiful ever premiered.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Alan Smithee posted:

You can’t talk bad Holocaust movies without The Devil’s Arithmetic. Kirsten Dunst as a 90s Cali girl transported back is uh really something

The book is way better than the movie.

X-Ray Pecs posted:

I am both horrified and intrigued by the idea of an Uwe Boll film about Auschwitz, but not enough to actually track it down and watch it because honestly, life's too short for some poo poo.

And considering I've watched 3 Boll films already, I think I'm all set on ever watching anything else he makes.

If Day the Clown Cried ever escapes the vault however, Imma watch that poo poo.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

joylessdivision posted:

I am both horrified and intrigued by the idea of an Uwe Boll film about Auschwitz, but not enough to actually track it down and watch it because honestly, life's too short for some poo poo.

And considering I've watched 3 Boll films already, I think I'm all set on ever watching anything else he makes.

If Day the Clown Cried ever escapes the vault however, Imma watch that poo poo.

You're in luck. Earliest it can come out is June, 2024.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

Casimir Radon posted:

I’ve only seen clips of Life is Beautiful, but I get what they were going for. His much hated Pinocchio movie getting theatrically released in the US on Christmas Day 2002 is one of the strangest things I’ve seen related to movies. McDonalds did Happy Meal toys for it. Despite having an Academy Award I don’t think the majority of the movie going public really knew who Begnini was, and weren’t particularly interested in seeing a guy approaching 50 play a child puppet.

Stranger still was the wave of live action Pinocchios released around the same time. One had drew Carey.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Inspector Gesicht posted:

You're in luck. Earliest it can come out is June, 2024.

:sickos:

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

There is no way The Day the Clown Cried is gonna live up to the hype

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

X-Ray Pecs posted:

The trailer for it is loving wild
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FS8E71RUOLU

(Yes that is boll himself by the door lmao)

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

It gets wilder when you know that he more or less made that, Bloodrayne 3, and a parody of the latter back to back. The parody is called Blubberella and from my understanding is pretty much the same movie but with Rayne replaced with a large lady.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Oh I’ve seen blubberella. It’s weird. It’s all fat jokes

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

I really liked Thor: Ragnarok, but I think the only reason it worked was that specific kind of tomfoolery really clicked with how the Thor mythos had been done in the MCU to that point (ie, poorly), how the Ragnarok plot itself was implemented, and how it led in to Infinity War which was naturally going to go for a downer ending.

But the God Butcher story is really drat good and also completely dead serious, and I've had absolutely no desire to see Waititi's take on it.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Byzantine posted:

But the God Butcher story is really drat good and also completely dead serious, and I've had absolutely no desire to see Waititi's take on it.

The God Butcher stuff is great, it's the rest of the movie that sucks.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

. Uwe Boll's Auschwitz

Had no idea he made this lol. I don’t think I’d be able to sit through it now

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Alan Smithee posted:

like, is Our Flag THAT good cuz I still see people getting easily baited by the pandering aspect

Other than acting in it, he's not actually involved in the production of Our Flag Means Death, is he? That makes it even funnier how people give him points for it.

FunkyAl posted:

Stranger still was the wave of live action Pinocchios released around the same time. One had drew Carey.

The latest On Cinema Oscar special had a Vic Berger-edited "tribute" to Pinocchio movies that really needs to be watched by anyone even slightly curious about how bizarre some of these Pinocchios are.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9oGi_PvnUo

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mwztZ9Rn50

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

Every decade or two the world is gripped by an inexplicable Pinocchio fever that scientists still cannot explain but we should all prepare now for the next spike in Pinocchio productions expected around 2035.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

And on the video game side of things, Lies of P came out (and it's great) so Pinocchio fever is still raging.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

X-Ray Pecs posted:

We need a Neil Breen Holocaust movie and Cool Cat Visits Auschwitz to complete this trilogy.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

X-Ray Pecs posted:

The grim irony is that the teaser trailer (linked in this thread) contains a genuinely super effective shot. A bored soldier stands in front of a door. Through a tiny porthole, we get a sense of frantic movement and terror. We, the audience, grasp the significance. We know that one of humanity's worst crimes is happening on the other side of the door, but to the guard, it's just a shift. It's his turn to stand in front of the murder door, and he's bored. It's one of the best illustrations of the banality of evil I've seen in a film, and it's in the teaser to a Uwe Boll film that may not actually exist (I've never encountered anyone who's seen it)

That's some monkey's paw poo poo.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Jojo Rabbit is legit way worse than Life is Beautiful tbh
It does feel like a lost in time 90s movie

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

joylessdivision posted:

The book Jakob the Liar is based on is written by a Holocaust survivor and is quite good. The movie is pretty lousy and I'm usually ride or die with dramatic Robin Williams roles.

quote:

It's actually not a badly made film at all, it's mostly that Boll's whole deal lays quite bare how tawdry Shoahsploitation can be, trafficking in shocking imagery.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Grendels Dad posted:

The God Butcher stuff is great, it's the rest of the movie that sucks.

Yeah, Christian Bale nails it.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

MonsieurChoc posted:

Yeah, Christian Bale nails it.

More than most other MCU movies, Love and Thunder runs into the problem that the bad guy is more fun and interesting than the bad guy and absolutely justified if it weren't for random acts of puppy-kicking.

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

We're all awash in a sea of blood, and the least we can do is wave to each other.

I disagree. He came across as Leto's Joker.

Worst MCU start to finish.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

The book Jakob the Liar is based on is written by a Holocaust survivor and is quite good. The movie is pretty lousy and I'm usually ride or die with dramatic Robin Williams roles.

I watched Insomnia again recently and loved it

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Grendels Dad posted:

More than most other MCU movies, Love and Thunder runs into the problem that the bad guy is more fun and interesting than the bad guy and absolutely justified if it weren't for random acts of puppy-kicking.

It also has an extreme case of "when do they get to the fireworks factory". There is an entire city of gods from every pantheon all in the same place. There is a character named the God-Butcher. He never sets foot in that city. In fact, as far as I can remember, he only kills a single god on screen, and it's in the first 10 minutes of the movie.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Tsk you kill one God and it's all anyone cares to know about you

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
https://twitter.com/nypost/status/1704501536657690740?s=20

Jodie Foster: “Travis I need you shoot somebody for me”

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
"Uber Gives Robert De Niro A LOT Of Money"

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Alan Smithee posted:

https://twitter.com/nypost/status/1704501536657690740?s=20

Jodie Foster: “Travis I need you shoot somebody for me”
"Each night when I return my Uber car to my garage, I have to clean the cum off the back seat. Some nights, I clean off the blood."

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

Rageaholic posted:

"Each night when I return my Uber car to my garage, I have to clean the cum off the back seat. Some nights, I clean off the blood."

Didn't realize De Niro just got a Prince Albert

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Underrated (and uncredited) serious Robin Williams role: Dead Again, in which he basically plays that movie's equivalent of Mickey Rourke in Body Heat

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
https://twitter.com/JFrankensteiner/status/1704679238178091066

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

"Uber Gives Robert De Niro A LOT Of Money"

He's gotta pay for his 7th kid's trust fund somehow.