Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

mdemone posted:

honestly Bermuda just seems like a really bad location to be on the globe. It's a lovely place but they've got to be tired of this

Bermuda Triangle? More like Bermuda Dieangle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

SourKraut posted:

Bermuda Triangle? More like Bermuda Dieangle

shockingly not a lovely 80s horror movie

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/ScottDuncanWX/status/1702739878708961440?s=20

celadon
Jan 2, 2023

is lightning weather or is it cloud computing

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Smashing!

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

celadon posted:

mods

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

celadon posted:

it used to be a port

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

Remnants of Lee made landfall somewhere at the US-Canada border. Was that a nothingburger in the end then?

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

He's still out there fighting the good fight huh? Hope his spirit rests eventually

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr posted:

Remnants of Lee made landfall somewhere at the US-Canada border. Was that a nothingburger in the end then?

it must've hit the border at the exact right angle to slip between the two countries unnoticed

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

smoobles posted:

it must've hit the border at the exact right angle to slip between the two countries unnoticed

Dang the freaking hurricanes can halfpress the A button now.

puncturewound78
Apr 18, 2023

NeonPunk posted:

Sure, just let me open up Maps on my phone and find the closest gun store near me...

Chances are, if you live in the USA, that there is a gun in nearly every house on the street. Also remember stores don't open/stay open without a functioning economy, 'civility'

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

puncturewound78 posted:

Chances are, if you live in the USA, that there is a gun in nearly every house on the street. Also remember stores don't open/stay open without a functioning economy, 'civility'

I’d say that’s only true in some places.

Wyoming has 50% more gun owners with 5% the population of New Jersey

Puppy Burner
Sep 9, 2011
It took out power in part or all of Halifax according to my sources, a guy who works at the hospital there.

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

smoobles posted:

Lee went full Harry Potter in the end.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
yeah like all of southern NS lost power and I think real poo poo happened in Fredericton but since New Brunswick hasn’t learned of the internet yet, nobody knows for sure.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

sounds like a nothingcane

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
far eastern canada isn't real its a trick the scandinavians made up to claim they discovered the new world first

DearSirXNORMadam
Aug 1, 2009

puncturewound78 posted:

yeah that's one of those "on average every american has one testicle" facts, distribution vs mean

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Pew Research Center lol posted:

Three-in-ten American adults say they currently own a gun, and another 11% say they don’t personally own a gun but live with someone who does. Among those who don’t currently own a gun, about half say they could see themselves owning one in the future.

Gun ownership is more common among men than women, and white men are particularly likely to be gun owners. Among those who live in rural areas, 46% say they are gun owners, compared with 28% of those who live in the suburbs and 19% in urban areas.

Two-thirds of gun owners say they own more than one gun, including 29% who own five or more guns. About seven-in-ten say they own a handgun or pistol (72%), while 62% own a rifle and 54% own a shotgun. Among those who own a single gun, most (62%) say that gun is a handgun or pistol, while far fewer say they own a rifle (22%) or a shotgun (16%).

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Mirconium posted:

yeah that's one of those "on average every american has one testicle" facts, distribution vs mean

thats not true anymore, my surplus of testicles brought the average back up to 2

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

blatman posted:

thats not true anymore, my surplus of testicles brought the average back up to 2

the Ball Curve

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
People who get prosthetic nuts ought to be allowed extras.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

blatman posted:

testicles Georg

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
neat lil pic from the maps thread

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

redleader posted:

it’s neat because you can clearly see the mismatch between the thermal equator and geographic equator. if it was broken down by month you could probably see the inter tropical convergence zone and Hadley cells drift too

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

redleader posted:

when ur planet looks this fuzzy u should throw it out and make a new one

Space Robot
Sep 3, 2011

redleader posted:

I see some places that are due.

Rip Testes
Jan 29, 2004

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception.

redleader posted:

I wonder which storm made it over Scandinavia and the other one that made it to Novaya Zemlya.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Rip Testes posted:

I wonder which storm made it over Scandinavia and the other one that made it to Novaya Zemlya.

This is one of them:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1932_Bahamas_hurricane

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

That would indicate that the plot is wrong - either that line should’ve been cut short or many others should’ve continued far north.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
So what I'm getting from this is the Southern Atlantic Ocean is just lazy?

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

redleader posted:

I’d like to see the volume of saffir-Simpson days by year. Like that temperature plot with a bunch of squares that all start out blue and get more and more red obviously peaking in the last few years.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

TehSaurus posted:

I’d like to see the volume of saffir-Simpson days by year. Like that temperature plot with a bunch of squares that all start out blue and get more and more red obviously peaking in the last few years.

Not a map but you're talking about ACE.

http://tropical.atmos.colostate.edu/Realtime/index.php?arch&loc=northatlantic

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis
Apparently the main reason for the lack of storms in the South Atlantic (and eastern South Pacific) is the increased wind shear. I have no idea what the mechanism is for increasing wind shear in those areas compared to the North Atlantic and western Pacific.

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

ugh, count data isn't continuous; they shouldn't connect the points.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

is it weird that we have only had one major hurricane hit the US gulf coast so far? i know the water temps are really high

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

The ocean just wants to have a busy holiday season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

actionjackson posted:

is it weird that we have only had one major hurricane hit the US gulf coast so far? i know the water temps are really high
it’s early