Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

Oblivion ruled. drat that game was awesome. I was so blown away by the graphics looking at the PC Gamer magazine preview

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Uh, 53 hours without a crash, and now in the last 90 minutes I had two. I hope it isn't a trend.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Deformed Church posted:

please romance someone cool next time instead of Sarah "Disliked That" Morgan

Sarah is one of the most annoying npc's I have ever experienced in a videogame. Should have named her Karen instead.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Resdfru posted:

Literally every game that has fast travel is menu based fast travel isn't it? Or am I missing something

Anyway there was a post 4000 pages ago in this thread that makes the travel better imo. Don't fast travel to planet x from planet y. Walk to your ship, fly to space, then do the travel in the menu (since it's a lightspeed magic jump if it was real you'd be in a menu there too) then land on the planet.

Yes there's still plenty of menus but it's not as bad. If you're feeling lazy then just fast travel from planet x to planet y and it's like every other game except you pretend your dude flew a ship across the galaxy rather than rode a horse/drove a car/walked 5000 miles across the continent/planet

The problem is that to get from site on planet a to site on planet b, even if you've been they're before, if you don't have a job at that site to set as a target, and if that planet has a security scan

Pause
Start map
Back to system
Back to star map
Scroll around to find the system
Enter system
Scroll around to find planet
Fast travel to planet
Wait for scan
Bring up planet menu
Spin planet to find city
Hover over city to select where you want to go
Fast travel to city

When in reality it should be

Pause
Star map
Move up and down menu to find city in shortcut menu
Travel to city

Fast traveling to your ship to take off is 2 extra load screens

Powershift fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Sep 19, 2023

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Peachfart posted:

Sarah is one of the most annoying npc's I have ever experienced in a videogame. Should have named her Karen instead.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Resdfru posted:

Literally every game that has fast travel is menu based fast travel isn't it? Or am I missing something

Anyway there was a post 4000 pages ago in this thread that makes the travel better imo. Don't fast travel to planet x from planet y. Walk to your ship, fly to space, then do the travel in the menu (since it's a lightspeed magic jump if it was real you'd be in a menu there too) then land on the planet.

Yes there's still plenty of menus but it's not as bad. If you're feeling lazy then just fast travel from planet x to planet y and it's like every other game except you pretend your dude flew a ship across the galaxy rather than rode a horse/drove a car/walked 5000 miles across the continent/planet

Yeah, that's how I do it. You can even cycle targets with E until your destination planet is highlighted and then jump by pressing R. But it'll still place a black screen with a loading symbol, and if you can't make the jump because of unexplored systems or fuel limitations you'll need to open the menu. I actually keep forgetting you can warp from one planet surface to another because I never do it.

But it's still not the same thing as, say, Eve Online, where even though the systems were instanced you'd still queue into a jump gate and travel through areas in real time.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

The menu based fast travel complaint I think is that because all the PoIs are essentially isolated dots on a fancy board rather than being laid out across a coherent world space. Like, they're not arrayed in a menu like list but it's not a map in the way you could use it in Elder Scrolls/Fallout where, it's an actual representation of the layout of the game world and all the things in it.

Plus, it's awkward because there's just way more steps. In Skyrim it was open map -> pan around -> click location -> confirm -> done. Now it's open map -> out to system level -> out to galaxy level -> pan around -> click system -> click system again if they're stacked -> click planet -> pan around -> click PoI -> confirm -> done. And that's just fast travel, if you're going somewhere new it's the same except you then have to actually get in and out of your ship and chain grav jumps (with their charge time) for essentially the same effect, because there's no actual journey where you might see anything or encounter any gameplay outside of maybe two spacer ravens, or if you're really lucky, grandma or the horny space tourists.

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.

Jack B Nimble posted:

But it's still not the same thing as, say, Eve Online, where even though the systems were instanced you'd still queue into a jump gate and travel through areas in real time.

An option like this would be nice. But I know I wouldn't use it all the time if it wasnt mandatory. And I'm sure most of the people playing this game wouldn't want to do that everytime they went somewhere

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Does Noel ever go on missions? Is she interesting? And is it possible to get Walter as a permanent companion or crewmate or does he only follow you for his part of the main quest?

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

sushibandit posted:

I just blame "consoles" for most of the really annoying technical stuff like shared control fuckery and zone size limits preventing freeflight from surface=>space and such. It's easy, probably true, and lets me flaunt my PC master race superiority from an unassailable position of nearly guaranteed future mod support for (currently broken or suboptimal thing).

Its not probably true, it is true

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I’ll say one positive thing about fast travel: I do really like Scanner fast travel.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Sarah's good she's just loving with you.

She was going on and on about how she hate's the Red Mile, but I can't get any XP off these stupid monsters because she's somehow annihilating them :psyduck:

Like how does NPC damage work? She's doing like easily 4x my damage

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.

Resdfru posted:

I realized what I'm missing
The difference here is there is no option to manually walk/drive/fly your rear end from one end of the galaxy to the other.

Though you can fly from one planet to another in a system if you wanted to burn a lot of real life valuable time

I know this conversation has been had ad nauseum in here but I don't really see a solution to this that doesn't become tedious (this isn't a space travel game so more realistic space travel would get old)

Eventually there will be a mod that let's you open 1 menu with 4000 planets on it and you can just pick the one you want to go to in 1 menu. There will also be a realistic version where you go to the navigation table and choose where you wanna go on the star map and your pilot flies you there

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Freelancer had space lanes iirc, floating ringed structures that you had to fly to and then it would warp your ship to the next set of rings in another planet system. Practically almost completely similar to Starfield gravdriving, but a bit more rooted and rigid a system (with less freedom).

Mr. Pool
Jul 10, 2001
Due to Bethesda jank, my visit to the the planet from Sarah's backstory quest was the funniest thing i've experienced in ages.

When initially finding the wreckage of her crew's escape pod(s) she had some line that was like "I just can't bear it, if only I had another chance, if only I could do it right this time" while at that exact moment a radiant event of a damaged ship with a sputtering engine was hobbling down from the sky in the background, and just as it was out of view shes "lets keep moving". I was *howling* . You couldn't have scripted it better. and then 5 minutes later I think after we recovered all the dogtags for Sona, she was still yelling at Sarah (Correctly) "I don't want to go anywhere with you! Go away! leave me alone!" Sarah then says something to the pc like "Ugh please talk some sense into her" and then i of course easily pass a persusasion check and get a feral 10 y/o to come with me on a spaceship with the person who killed her parents. at which point I look for Sarah, who I guess has initiated some of her idle animations? during my 15 sec chat with Sona I guess she already got bored because shes now sitting on a crash couch swiping through poo poo on her data slate. without even looking up she asks "so how did it go?" lol . And then back on Jemison if we wanted to think Sarah seeming to not *really* give a gently caress about Sona was just a coincidence, i got to the lodge where Sona has already teleported and talk to her a couple times and got a dialogue option "so how did you get to the lodge?" she says, I poo poo you not, "Sarah gave me directions from the spaceport, riding the NAT was kind of scary, but I made my way here, teehe" :catstare:

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

appropriatemetaphor posted:

Sarah's good she's just loving with you.

She was going on and on about how she hate's the Red Mile, but I can't get any XP off these stupid monsters because she's somehow annihilating them :psyduck:

Like how does NPC damage work? She's doing like easily 4x my damage

The red mile monsters are super nerfed xp wise so you can't farm them, not worth shooting them at all. Just have Sarah sit in the bar, jump off the balcony as soon as you start, boost yourself to a landing on the left side, run to button, push button, boost back to the entrance on the left side again (middle = most creatures). Done. Takes less than the 3m the O2 boosting food the bartender will sell you lasts.

Then go to your ship, fast travel back to exactly where you are, repeat 29 times to become champion. :smithicide:

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

If I build a captain's quarters hab I do not expect my entire crew to go hang out there. My space wife, sure, but Sarah and Lin and Heller need to go to their own goddamn habs. I put enough of the drat things in. There are SO many chairs for you guys, stop sitting on mine.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Resdfru posted:

yeah whats wild about this game is you dont even need to go to a map to fast travel, ever, even in space. i dont understand the menu criticism

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

I just don't understand how you have a quest log with no information. I have a bunch of quests with no info on why I have it or what I'm going towards other than talk to X.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Azhais posted:

Then go to your ship, fast travel back to exactly where you are, repeat 29 times to become champion. :smithicide:

Naw thanks im good after 1 run, that was underwhelming as all heck lol

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

how do you even woo sarah anyway? hand her paul allen's business card?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

ughhhh posted:

I just don't understand how you have a quest log with no information. I have a bunch of quests with no info on why I have it or what I'm going towards other than talk to X.

There’s a short blurb on the left, no?

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Al! posted:

yeah whats wild about this game is you dont even need to go to a map to fast travel, ever, even in space. i dont understand the menu criticism

Hell you can warp out of a random instanced cave at the end, straight to a landingpad in another galaxy. No need to find your way back out in the dark

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Al! posted:

how do you even woo sarah anyway? hand her paul allen's business card?

pull her hair enough times and it reminds her of bootcamp

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

heard u like girls posted:

Hell you can warp out of a random instanced cave at the end, straight to a landingpad in another galaxy. No need to find your way back out in the dark

sometimes the game is so convenient your landing and docking hatches take you to completely different places on different planets. its just that convenient!!!

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!
explain to me the process from getting from bessel 3-b to katydid without having an active quest or using the galaxy map

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

Legs Benedict posted:

explain to me the process from getting from bessel 3-b to katydid without having an active quest or using the galaxy map

Go to your ship and take off, turn on your scanner, then start jumping to closer and closer systems I guess

Probably something like Bessel -> Altair -> Barnard's or Wolf -> Linnaeus -> Alpha/Beta Tirna -> Katydid

I wouldn't do it this way, it seems like a waste of time & I'm not sure what determines the range your scanner shows planets in (maybe 1 jump distance?) but I think that's basically it.

If you don't know the route maybe you could wildly swing your ship around and jump randomly until you get there.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

well you walk to your ship, lift off, then from space target the star you want to travel to then hold down x. i guess you probably need to know the route your current ship can take by heart but theoretically its possible. i guess if you count any instance of a takeoff animation or loading screen fast travel then no i guess you cant

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

The absolute stupidest part of fast travel in this game is that no time technically passes when you do it. You get no healing or rest benefits and none of the time-based cooldowns change status. If nothing else, you should get a counter for X hours of travel.

I almost wonder if this wasn't originally the plan based on the Research kiosk. In Traveller, which Todd claims was a major inspiration (and you can see bits and pieces of its DNA splattered here and there all over Starfield -- hell, your shield/hull icon is a Beowulf), researching new skills occur during space travel, which even at FTL takes days/weeks to reach a destination. The research UI/UX's language almost seems to suggest there was a time element to it at one point, eg the progress % that now just tracks resources.

Seriously though, flip through the core book for Traveller 2300AD and you'll see a lot of Starfield's foundation. I almost get the feeling they wanted to make a Traveller game, couldn't get the rights, then pulled a George Lucas changing Flash Gordon into The Star War

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

you can also do real time space travel, it turns out that the system maps arent actually instanced. i jumped to some point like 60km away from the key and flew there in about 5 minutes just to see if i could. sure enough it was there, intractable, and its guards and defenses were there too.

theres a deeply sick part of me that wonders if the entire galaxy map is instanced or not

Martian
May 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
So I can track resources I need to do an upgrade, but it doesn't show how much I need or remove the tracker when I have enough? That's just great!

But I had lots of fun shooting disciples in Neon, not gonna lie.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

heard u like girls posted:

Naw thanks im good after 1 run, that was underwhelming as all heck lol

You'll never get the red mile trophy for your house with that attitude

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc
Strikers rule!

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Jack B Nimble posted:

Yeah but I think they're meant to show you around. Like, the brownouts in The Well is a do nothing walk about, but I loved it? I just like walking simulators shoved into my open world immersive sim RPGs, so I'm rollin in the mud.

I hated the brown out quest because I hadn't noticed the quest path indicator in the scanner yet and that place is a loving maze.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Deformed Church posted:

If I build a captain's quarters hab I do not expect my entire crew to go hang out there. My space wife, sure, but Sarah and Lin and Heller need to go to their own goddamn habs. I put enough of the drat things in. There are SO many chairs for you guys, stop sitting on mine.

hey we saw you from across the hab and we dig your vibe

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Rinkles posted:

There’s a short blurb on the left, no?

There are bunch of im assuming larger quests that don't have any info and none of the quests under activities have any side info.

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.

Al! posted:

you can also do real time space travel, it turns out that the system maps arent actually instanced. i jumped to some point like 60km away from the key and flew there in about 5 minutes just to see if i could. sure enough it was there, intractable, and its guards and defenses were there too.

theres a deeply sick part of me that wonders if the entire galaxy map is instanced or not

Are there any twitch channels yet where you just watch a ship fly from one end of the galaxy to the other in real time

Martian
May 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Nancy posted:

Strikers rule!

They're all bastards, actually.

Punished Ape
Sep 17, 2021

TremorX posted:

The absolute stupidest part of fast travel in this game is that no time technically passes when you do it. You get no healing or rest benefits and none of the time-based cooldowns change status. If nothing else, you should get a counter for X hours of travel.

I almost wonder if this wasn't originally the plan based on the Research kiosk. In Traveller, which Todd claims was a major inspiration (and you can see bits and pieces of its DNA splattered here and there all over Starfield -- hell, your shield/hull icon is a Beowulf), researching new skills occur during space travel, which even at FTL takes days/weeks to reach a destination. The research UI/UX's language almost seems to suggest there was a time element to it at one point, eg the progress % that now just tracks resources.

Seriously though, flip through the core book for Traveller 2300AD and you'll see a lot of Starfield's foundation. I almost get the feeling they wanted to make a Traveller game, couldn't get the rights, then pulled a George Lucas changing Flash Gordon into The Star War

Grav drives being instantaneous brings up a lot of weird issues, it would make more sense to me to warp to somewhere outside a system's gravity well and spend a certain amount of time time sub-warp to go from planet to planet (or use gates for warp, whatever). The weirdest thing to me is fuel. There is really no point to it, it's just an arbitrary, vestigial mechanic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Nancy posted:

Strikers rule!

I reloaded my save so I could go back and shoot them because the other ending was so dumb