Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Cartoon Man posted:

Why the hell does Jarmo still have a job, lmao CBJ.

To be fair to Jarmo, Columbus is stacked with young talent and he has done a pretty good job of managing the trajectory of the team. He hosed up with Babcock but the team is run pretty well from a hockey standpoint.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I don’t know if that really helps when they are terrible at hockey.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
The team has gotten steadily worse for like 6 years running now, but he's totally a good GM, they are Stacked With Young Talent

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Last year they lost a record amount of games to injury and it was a throw away season out of the control of the GM. It would be ridiculous to deny that Columbus has a top 3 or 4 prospect pool with a potential franchise center in Fantilli. The Jackets haven't been that good or that inspiring, but Jarmo has been slowly building a team that looks set to be fun and competitive for a nice window in the near future.

Babcock incident is a comical failure but if we are strictly talking about team-building, there are much worse situations for teams to be in than the Jackets.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I think one of the CBJ statements implied Jarmo would be gone if this incident happened in July

He got saved because CBJ don't want search for a new GM two days before camp opens

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
I also don't know that they're really stacked with prospects beyond the guys they got with top 10 picks in the past few years.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I dunno I think he's mostly good at his job. Good drafts, mostly shrewd signings and trades. I seem to remember that he was hailed as some kind of brilliant guy when he was first hired, and he's definitely not that, but he's better than the average GM I think. He was also the GM for the only real period of sustained success in Blue Jackets history (playoffs 5 times in 7 years from 2013-14 to 2019-2020)

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Spring Break My Heart posted:

I also don't know that they're really stacked with prospects beyond the guys they got with top 10 picks in the past few years.

That's true but they were a middling playoff team before that. When your team isn't a contender, collecting a lot of good prospects fast is basically exactly what you want, right?

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Exactly.

Marchenko, Sillinger, Tarasov, and Johnson are already NHL players with nice ceilings. Coming in they've got Fantilli, Jiricek, Mateychuk, and a handful of other solid B/C prospects.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

He probably isn't terrible but he is nowhere near good enough a GM to survive hiring Mike Babcock

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Hitting on Jiricek, Johnson, and Fantilli is pretty important, and then you've got Mateychuk who is trending very well, Dumais (3rd rounder, 140 points last year in the Q), Marchenko (2nd rounder, looks like a very good hit), Chinakhov (looks like good value at #21).

They've got a top 5 system at worst, probably more like top 3. Hiring Babcock should still lead to him being canned though.

I'd agree that before this I would consider him a "good GM" pending the actual outcome of these prospects, although even Hextall looked decent for a bit at the start of the Flyers rebuild too.

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Sep 19, 2023

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
I remember when the Kings collected prospects for 2003-2010. Then 2012-2014 happened. Sometimes it comes together quickly.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
It doesn't mean they need to keep him though either. Shero did a lot of the work on the Devils rebuild after all, doesn't mean he had to be the guy to lead them out of it though.

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.
Jarmo rocks for going all in at the deadline and sweeping the Lightning.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIČRE IN ME
Until Columbus proves it to me they should be viewed with suspicion. Their entire history, including in Jarmo, has been struggling to approach a basic level of respectability and then sliding backwards.

They COULD end up with a talented young team, or guys could just not develop quite as expected, vets could bail to other teams, and they could be stuck in the recycling all their draft picks because it never comes together

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I think in a few years, perennial dumpsters like Columbus, Arizona, Ottawa, and Buffalo are going to be among the best teams in the NHL. And I also think none of them will win a cup.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I think in a few years, perennial dumpsters like Columbus, Arizona, Ottawa, and Buffalo are going to be among the best teams in the NHL. And I also think none of them will win a cup.

Chicago hitting the lottery again and passing them all is going to be tragic

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Also, Gudbranson lol

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Jamwad Hilder posted:

3 of those 4 teams (and maybe all 4 given what CBJ have been up to) are where they are because of ownership. So no, nothing will change with them until ownership changes.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I think one of the CBJ statements implied Jarmo would be gone if this incident happened in July

He got saved because CBJ don't want search for a new GM two days before camp opens

It did happen in July.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely
some more commentary on the Columbus situation from Biznasty and Ryan Whitney on their most recent podcast.

https://twitter.com/wealthyscratch/status/1704157841374756879

**the tweet says it contains sensitive content, it does not - just a description of their words which are as follows:

Spitting Chiclets posted:

Podcast dropped today and it’s worth a listen. Some interesting bullet points:

They recorded the initial podcast (that reported about Babcock) on sunday. Biz asked around for a couple more sources monday before he felt comfortable releasing it tuesday.

Both Whitney and Biz had “several” current and former players verify what was being reported was true. There was no ambiguity — this happened.

Reading the tea leaves, some of the firsthand sources they had were from rookies / young players. Both guys kept saying “telling an 18 year old to hand you their phone is a horrible abuse of your power dynamic”. lovely stuff.

Biz was surprisingly on a Blue Jackets defensive position this podcast. He made 2 pleas: first he asked the media to stop asking these players questions. “It happened in the off-season, it was addressed in the off-season, you can’t bother these players all year about it. They did nothing wrong.” Second, he took offense to Whitney saying Jarmo should get canned. Said he didn’t like Jarmo’s statement, but that Jarmo has a big heart and took a big leap giving a guy a second chance and shouldn’t lose his job for this.

Most surprisingly, apparently several of these incidents happened at Babcock’s house. In at least one of the incidents reported to Whitney, a young player was invited for lunch, told to take out his phone, had Babcock flip through his photos and then told him to leave… without lunch. He sounds like a sociopath.

An interesting point that Whitney made, aside from the obvious (pics of partying, pics of girlfriends, etc).. what if a player was in the closet? Your photos on your phone are private and should remain that way.

Some other stories about babcock were shared. One older player who hasn’t quite cracked the NHL yet said that he was sitting on the bench in an empty arena taping his stick before the final preseason game in Anaheim. Babcock came and sat next to him, said something along the lines of “this is pretty amazing isn’t it?.” When the player he agreed, Babcock continued; “soak it in, it’s the last time you’ll ever be on an NHL bench.” Serial killer behavior.

Mike Commodore was not the initial source.

Starsfan fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Sep 19, 2023

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Starsfan posted:

some more commentary on the Columbus situation from Biznasty and Ryan Whitney on their most recent podcast.

https://twitter.com/wealthyscratch/status/1704157841374756879

**the tweet says it contains sensitive content, it does not - just a description of their words which are as follows:

Jfc Babcock is a menace

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

https://twitter.com/ScottBilleck/status/1704212440333045783

man wtf is this look

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK
I couldn't help but laugh at:

invite them to lunch
flip through their phone
kick them out... without lunch

power move Babs, you complete loving psycho

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIČRE IN ME
This has got to be that he thought his comeback tour was going well enough he could bully the younger players and they’d be too afraid to say anything

DancingMachine
Aug 12, 2004

He's a dancing machine!

Misanthrope posted:

I couldn't help but laugh at:

invite them to lunch
flip through their phone
kick them out... without lunch

power move Babs, you complete loving psycho

That's very bad but this part was ten times worse!

quote:

One older player who hasn’t quite cracked the NHL yet said that he was sitting on the bench in an empty arena taping his stick before the final preseason game in Anaheim. Babcock came and sat next to him, said something along the lines of “this is pretty amazing isn’t it?.” When the player he agreed, Babcock continued; “soak it in, it’s the last time you’ll ever be on an NHL bench.”

What a raging loving rear end in a top hat holy poo poo.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

Levitate posted:

This has got to be that he thought his comeback tour was going well enough he could bully the younger players and they’d be too afraid to say anything

well.. I guess I can understand how from his perspective he thought the hurdle would be convincing someone to hire him, and then after he got past that he could do whatever the hell he wanted since he'd be back in charge.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Every time more details come out I keep wondering why didn't they tell us that from the start.** Because this has gone to the potentially innocuous "Babcock made everyone share pictures from their phone" to "Babcock told a guy to come over for lunch, flipped through his phone for 10 minutes, then kicked him out without lunch"

**Just kidding I know it's because they want people to listen to their podcast, as much as they want to paint themselves as pure-hearted advocates for the players

Jamwad Hilder fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Sep 19, 2023

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Levitate posted:

I mean it almost worked. They were clearly too afraid to say anything to management or even their own captain. If they hadn’t helped get an investigation going by leaking info and listening to vets who specifically warned them about Babcock’s antics, this thing could have gotten swept under the rug. Just an insane failure by management to protect their players.

WeaponX fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Sep 19, 2023

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

What was Babcock even trying to gain by going through guy's phones? It was originally parsed as him wanting guys to share pictures on the screen in his office to get to know them better. Now it seems like he just wanted to go through certain players phones? Was he looking for evidence of wrongdoing or something? This whole story is completely bizarre and I don't understand a lick of it.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

ThinkTank posted:

What was Babcock even trying to gain by going through guy's phones? It was originally parsed as him wanting guys to share pictures on the screen in his office to get to know them better. Now it seems like he just wanted to go through certain players phones? Was he looking for evidence of wrongdoing or something? This whole story is completely bizarre and I don't understand a lick of it.

He wanted to see if any of them unlocked Lifeguard Tifa in the smash mobile hit Final Fantasy VII Ever Crisis.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Aphrodite posted:

It did happen in July.

But it wasn't reported until a week or 2 ago. If the story broke immediately and Babcock was out then, Jarmo is probably out of a job

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

ThinkTank posted:

Why tell a random AHLer you will never make it to the NHL just to rub it in his face? Dude is a crazy rear end in a top hat who loves using his position of power over ppl to humiliate them. I’m sure he was looking for something to mock, weaponize, or hold over their heads the whole season. Classic power dynamic abuse. Gotta keep those rookies in check!

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

ThinkTank posted:

I don't know if there was anything to gain per se. It's just a power dynamics move by a raging rear end in a top hat.

Why do any of the mean things he does? To demonstrate his power and put others down. He's a bully but also probably some part of him thinks that this is how coaching works. That he needs to be the unassailable leader who puts fear into everyone.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

https://twitter.com/spittinchiclets/status/1704129975065219102?t=sGzWcTnt00gOTjvEm3yWOA&s=19

"I didn't want him fired except I did. Also, I like being Mr. Bro with my anal rape metaphors, I'm Biz."

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I dunno I think he's mostly good at his job. Good drafts, mostly shrewd signings and trades. I seem to remember that he was hailed as some kind of brilliant guy when he was first hired, and he's definitely not that, but he's better than the average GM I think. He was also the GM for the only real period of sustained success in Blue Jackets history (playoffs 5 times in 7 years from 2013-14 to 2019-2020)

They missed a sixth playoff spot on a tiebreaker in 2013 (which, ironically but on par for this franchise, Scott Howson was one of the champions for).

E for more context- 2014-15 was one of the years where the whole team was dead and, when they were finally healthy, put together a run of like 15-2-3 or something to close out the season. 15-16 was where Richards was fired after 0-7-0, Torts was hired, everyone pointed and laughed, and yet it worked out alright.

But it wasn't reported until a week or 2 ago. If the story broke immediately and Babcock was out then, Jarmo is probably out of a job

Ignore her, you're correct. Ownership, which is very hands off, basically implied this in the aftermath.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Sep 19, 2023

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Every time more details come out I keep wondering why didn't they tell us that from the start.** Because this has gone to the potentially innocuous "Babcock made everyone share pictures from their phone" to "Babcock told a guy to come over for lunch, flipped through his phone for 10 minutes, then kicked him out without lunch"

**Just kidding I know it's because they want people to listen to their podcast, as much as they want to paint themselves as pure-hearted advocates for the players

That also would out that one player speaking out immediately and Babcock was still the coach

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

T-Bone posted:

Hitting on Jiricek, Johnson, and Fantilli is pretty important, and then you've got Mateychuk who is trending very well, Dumais (3rd rounder, 140 points last year in the Q), Marchenko (2nd rounder, looks like a very good hit), Chinakhov (looks like good value at #21).

They've got a top 5 system at worst, probably more like top 3. Hiring Babcock should still lead to him being canned though.

Cole Sillinger, who I keep forgetting is on the team, having a rebound season would be a big help.

Voronkov is said to be a horse in the middle six.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That’s worse. That’s more grounds for firing him.

This just happened under him for a couple of months nbd.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Aphrodite posted:

That’s worse. That’s more grounds for firing him.

This just happened under him for a couple of months nbd.

Oh, I agree.

But CBJ doesn't want a GM search when camp starts in a couple days

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
I'm so behind on this Babcock thing. Just let me know when the True Crime Podcast is released.

Mr. Kite fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Sep 19, 2023